PDA

View Full Version : AGK: subs missing from other 2 episodes on DVD

TrigunXBox
21st August 2005, 06:31
First let me say thanks to the creators of AGK. I have been trying to rip my Movie and Anime DVD collection for month with poor resualts. AutoGK makes it easy. I will be sending some money to the creator as soon as I get my next paycheck.

I found a DVD with subtitle issues. In AutoGK, the subs are blank on the second and third episode of my Comic Party 4 DVD box set. The first episode works fine on each dvd, just not the second and third.
The subtitles show up as an option in AGK and everything encodes with external subtitles fine, but the resualting .sub file is 0K. The idx file looks fine, but it lacks timestamps.

Using this command. rundll32 vobsub.dll,Configure, i opened up the ifo generated from DVD decryptor. I give it a place to save the finish files and vobsub says select PGE. The two english 00 and 01 are preselected in the right side box.
I click OK and it does stuff for a bit. In the window where I can select color, it shows not detected for every subtitle stream. Even 00 and 01. Clicking Ok, generates a 0K .sub file.

I am not sure what is going wrong. I use DVD Decryptor to just dump the subtitle stream and the resualting .vob file is 8MB so the subtitles do exist.
I have tried a bunch of stuff and I can't get it to work.

About 8 months ago when I first took on this project, I did get the subtitles converted off this disk and into srt format using DVD2OGM, so I know something can read them. I uninstalled DVD2OGM and all the other 20 utils I tried when I discovered the bliss that is AutoGK and mkvmerge. (Anyone want a guide on DVD 2 MKV conversion?) I tried so many things so long ago, I don't know what I did.

What can I try to do to get the subtitles off the second and third episodes of each disk?

Thanks for any and all help.

len0x
21st August 2005, 10:20
May be use SubRip and OCR them into text format?

TrigunXBox
21st August 2005, 19:25
I tried that first. This DVD has a lot of strange fonts used for the translation of the on screen text. It drives any OCR nuts. I have been keeping the subtitles in vobsub format and dropping everything into an mkv. The end resualt is less OCR mistakes and nicer subtitles. but at the cost of a few megs in a larger filesize. It's worth it for me.

mic
21st August 2005, 19:58
Might try using DVD Shrink to isolate the 2 prob episodes. If they display subs, work on just subs as if complete. If they don't, do they display CC? If so, follow SCC Tools docs to strip and convert to subs.

If neither works, sorry, I tried...

TrigunXBox
21st August 2005, 20:10
I am trying that now. Thanks

I grabbed the latest version of vobsub and I tried ripping the disk with both SmartRipper and DVD Decryptor. Vobsub works perfect on the first episode. Episode 2 and 3 it fails on. I am trying to find another program that will rip vonsubs, but nothing yet.

TrigunXBox
21st August 2005, 23:18
Well, I got that to work. I used DVD shrink to re-author each episode. I can then use vobsub to extract the subtitles in vobsub format. I do the normal DVD Decrypter --> AutoGK for the same episodes, but this time without the subtitles. I then join everything in an MKV file. It's a lot of extra steps, but it does work. I hope I don't have this problem with FMA. :)

I wish AutoGK did not need the streams text file generated by DVD Decryptor. Then I would not need to rip the DVD twice.

Thanks for the help.

mic
21st August 2005, 23:56
Glad it worked :)