PDA

View Full Version : any tips on making a dvd with just audio in it

Subwars
21st August 2005, 05:09
hi there i'm after any tips to making a dvd with just audio in it i'd like to try and get the audio in a low compression not wav like in an audio cd want to be able to get as much time in there as possible weather it's in like ac3 or some kind of mp compression but were i can chuck it in the dvd player and it will play so i'm assuming i'm going to have to get the audio into vob files somehow can anyone give me any sugestions on if i can and how to accomplish this so i can get as many hours bit rate isn't important the source is only a 64bit mp3 anyway and it needs to be able to play in my dvd player it's an older player so it doens't have any of the mp3 compatiblity playback ect

ursamtl
21st August 2005, 13:10
Just check some of the authoring guides here on Doom9 or over at www.videohelp.com. You can create a DVD-video using still pictures, perhaps of album covers or other art. Uncompressed PCM audio will give you up to 6 hours on a single DVD-R wheras using AC3 192kbps will give you up to 45 hours with reasonable audio quality. I wouldn't go lower than 192kbps because your player may not support it and the quality will be worse.

As for tips, the biggest mistake I've seen people make time and time again is forgetting to change the sampling rate of their audio. Audio on a DVD-video must be at a sampling rate of 48kHz. Since audio ripped from a CD is at 44.1kHz, it must be converted. If you don't use a good conversion program, your audio quality will be reduced. One of the best sample-raye conversion programs available is SSRC. It's incorporated into Johnman's excellent WaveWizard program, so give that a try. As for bit depth, keep it at 16 bits. There's a lot of media hype, etc., about how 24-bit audio (the DVD spec does support 24-bit audio), but for what you're trying to do, it won't give you any improved quality and it will just take up more space on the DVD.

So get your audio into 16-bit/48kHz format and you should be good to go!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Subwars
21st August 2005, 14:32
ok excelent i'll start some tests

Subwars
21st August 2005, 15:54
i'm having alot of trouble trying to get the audio into an ac3 i've managed to get it into a pcm wav file easy at 48khz and all but i'm continually getting errors trying to make it ac3 with both the wavewizard and besweet

edit: ok i got belite to do something it runs for around 10 mins like it's doing it but when it's finished all i have is an empty 0kb ac3 file

mic
21st August 2005, 19:09
Have you checked the new 48/16 wav file to make sure it's good? For the L of it might want to open & save as to re-create. Also might want to try converting another wav file (whatever sample or sound effect in windows folder for example) to ac3 -- will tell you if software is working.

Subwars
21st August 2005, 19:34
yea i spose but as for if the file is good it plays fine in winamp nothing wrong with it in that context

daphy
22nd August 2005, 12:57
for besweet (belight) :logfile:

for all solutions:
-> I guess you´ve forgotten to add the right ac3enc.dll to the right place, am I right? ;)

Subwars
22nd August 2005, 12:59
no ac3enc.dll is in the besweet folder