PDA

View Full Version : avsFilmCutter Ver 2.0 b Video Editing tool for AviSynth

Ebobtron
17th July 2005, 02:13
avsFilmCutter version 0.0.2.0 beta, version date 27 July 2007

avsFilmCutter is an AviSynth script editor with a built in viewer / player some of the included features are:

filter function documentation lookup
filter function parameter dialog, parameter look-up direct from AviSynth
Syntax Highlighting
One button/click script check with AviSynth error reporting (very much improved thanks to IanB)

Main page (http://avsfilmcutter.com)
More information some screen shots (http://avsfilmcutter.com/filmcutter.html)

The guides are being rewritten
Using the Script Editor (http://avsfilmcutter.com/fcwebguide1.html)
Using the Video Scene Editor (http://avsfilmcutter.com/fcwebguide2.html)
Using V.C. Mohan's TransAll plug-in (http://avsfilmcutter.com/fcwebguideTALL.html)
Using the Encoding application interface (http://avsfilmcutter.com/fcwebguideEncod.html)

Get avsFilmCutter version 0.0.2.0 beta:
http://www.avsfilmcutter.com

For trouble with viewing YV12 try a different decompressor or maybe you need one.
www.xvid.org You can install xvid on your computer.
The Xvid encoding package has a good YV12 vfw (video for windows) decoder. Just download and install the package.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56972
Helix YV12 / I420 VFW Codecs

The beta designation has remained to warn the user that the program is under heavy devolopment, very heavy. I try to release stuff that works. Everything is subject to change however. Therefore save your last version, you may like it better.

avsFilmCutter is free. Freeware, free software, I'll let the experts decide.

Ebobtron
18th July 2005, 08:32
Changes in version 0.0.2.0 beta - 27 July 2007

New:

For the video editor, two new items in the row button menu, Jump to Start Frame and Jump to End Frame. Another great idea from a user, thanks towtruck, aka Andy
Clip preview / edit dialog allows you to trim or extend the clips frames in a seperate pop up window, more from Andy.
In the main window menu you will find "Compression dialog" this will show the same video and audio codexs installed on your computer. The ability to save an *.avi should come soon.
avsFilmCutter released under an OpenSource license.

Fixes:

Huge bug in my method of reducing memory leaks when using AviSynth API. Some users would experience sudden program termination when switching to a viewer. Fizick, IanB

Script syntax or AviSynth error should prevent loading the video display. Error text displayed in Test box, last error retained see AviSynth Options | Display AviSynth Version

Loading Script with an error directly using media viewer terminated FilmCutter after reporting error.

When using the function lookup in AviSynth documentation feature with the path to the documentation incorrect, the SafeString update and pointer audits broke this. Only a new user or new installations would ever see this. If you did see it you had trouble. List of outcomes is very long.

Found the cause of encoder dialog window title haveing the encoder path almost off the page.

FilmCutter has had a string white space stripping ghost for sometime. Exercised one in the function parameter parser in mydlg.h

Encoding interface code had a few unintentional message boxes, sorry.

For those that edit using projects, if you had occasion to use the tabs on the editor they should work ASAP instead of waiting for the mouse to move.

Alpha video window poped a message box when closed

An illegal resourse assignment has been fixed 98 & ME and nt4 users, sorry I didn't know, rejoyce.(IanB)

Another issue with dynamic memory allocation resolved in the video interface.(IanB)

FilmCutter would choke on a corrupted ini file and loop endlessly.

Dialog bug in alpha 1 options dialog help button opens lots of help windows. Wow!

Ever wonder what your screen saver keeps coming back. You turn it off, it comes back. Oops, FilmCutter can disable screen saver and power saver settins but always restores them. If now checks the states and preserves your system settings.

Play was activate-able without a loaded video.

Script writing options dialog proc had some window errors.

Video scene editors time display could become inaccurate. Or sink the ship.

Found another divide by zero (they still crash). Syntax error could cause framerate to be zero. Total time amd scene time function go poof.

Changes:

More pointers to buffers corralled up so the memory associated can be reused or Released.

Moved many local variable definition statements out of conditional branches in WinMain with much care taken to make sure that memory allocated is reused not recreated.

FilmCutter would warn the user about needing SciLexer.dll and then go on to crash. FilmCutter now warns the user then terminate gracefully.

If the video viewer was in play mode when the user exited FilmCutter the system values for the following items remained false. Oops!
SETSCREENSAVEACTIVE
SETPOWEROFFACTIVE
FilmCutter how issues a play stop command before exit, which changes the values to true.

If you change the file filtering in the file saves / open dialogs FilmCutter remembers your last file type, i.e. *.txt, *.avs. Believe it or not that is not automatic.

While bug hunting the parameter help dialog I added code to prevent parameter strings from exceeding 260 characters (max path length).

Some very old code died today, the checkstate of a hidden button is kind of unreliable. Because, you can not check it till it changes and windows will change it when it wants to.

Changed the way preview with script editor updates. If, when the user press F4 or clicks the update button, an error occurs the error (likely syntax) will display and the update will not be done. Current frame and state shall remain.

Small changes to the source / project switching. Scene list remains active but the row buttons become disabled when project radio button is selected.

Finally remembered to put the max and restore things on the main menu list so you can maximize the window while using the video scene editor without having to be all tricky back though the script editor menu.

Rearranged the scene editor view / mode. Added a scene preview button, added the third window to "mutli-frame editor". Big rewrite to the video veiw code, also changed trackbar style to move frame# tool-tip to above frame slider.

Changed the way the source / project radio buttons work. FilmCutter will prompt you if it needs the project data saved.

The AviSynth interface has been completely rewritten. Along with his help to resolve a nasty crash issue I introduced, Ian Brabham's generous code contribution to FilmCutter gives it vastly improved error handling capabilities. Ian added three Safe AviSynth functions that simplify and standardize error trapping and reporting. See "AviSynth Error Reporting" in the user's guide.

The "filmcutter.ini" file write routine has been completly rewritten. A little faster I hope, much simpler.

Added the code needed for the save wave function to be able to read wave format WaveFormatExtensible when the format is used in AviSynth.

dr.Prozac
20th July 2005, 22:31
Seems nobody is interested so I decided to write something.
I really appreciate your effort. I appreciate you want to share your application for free. Doesn't matter if it works perfectly or it doesn't. This is just the beginning and I can see you have many new and great features to create in the future.
I was just testing your soft. In my opinion you did a very good job. Just think also about more comfortable gui so that every, even less advanced users will be able to use it intuitivly. Also, when it is the first run, many various windows, confirmations ect. appear. is it neccesary ? Next thing, every user is able to run AVSEdit even if this tool is not installed in the system. So, then we can see the Message (Create process failed).
These are the things I have noticed for the time being. Of course don't think it was my purpose to find fault your work. No. Programming is also one of my interests and I also develope my own free application writen in Delphi. I just know that it's quite difficult to find every bug and to judge your own program. Nothing is more helpful than users opinions :)

good luck!
Prozac

Ebobtron
21st July 2005, 05:28
@dr.Prozac

Thanks for the kind words and for showing an interrest.
Just think also about more comfortable gui so that every, even less advanced users will be able to use it intuitivly.I noted in the original “know issues” list that the trim edit view had problems. However, I did not see how horrid it was to anyone but me till after I had it out. Version 0.2b is better. I hope more feedback will lead to a better working layout.
Also, when it is the first run, many various windows, confirmations ect. appear. is it neccesary?I also warned about stray popup message boxes. I left those in the program for the first release because I would know where the program was crashing if FilmCutter did not startup on some systems. In addition, I wanted the user to know that the program was going to write to his hard-drive. Not very elegant but it works and they are temporary. Moreover, there are a few I have forgotten about so let me know please.Next thing, every user is able to run AVSEdit even if this tool is not installed in the system. So, then we can see the Message (Create process failed).I left the Launch AVSEdit feature in the script edit menu because I wanted feedback on whether anyone would like it. I am sorry that for those without AVSEdit that it is not included. Version 0.3b will add a tool bar of six user-defined buttons so you can add or change to suit your needs
Nothing is more helpful than users opinions :)Absolutely, much of the programs structure depends on the features so feedback from users will definitely define the program in the future.

There are many ideas yet to implement and I have held back to see if it will run on other systems. I would like to know if the program runs on 98, ME, Win2K and other configurations than just mine before I continue with the project.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I hope you can find use for the program

Ebobtron
30th July 2005, 21:58
Some people say, no news is good news. Others remind that if you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all.

I wonder which applies here.

For all of you who have looked the program over and are still shaking your heads, I am sorry. I also would like to thank anyone who has tried the program. This version should provide enough features that a person could do something with it.

Version 0.4b is a fix for 0.3b.

Version 0.0.0.4b is up on the website.
http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/

Going to California to visit the Mouse, August 7 thought the 13th. If you post a comment to the forum or email. You will not get a response during that time, I will be with my granddaughter.

Don't really think it will be a problem.

Changes in version 0.0.0.3b 7/30/2005

filmcutter.ini is not compatable between versions 0.2b & 0.3b/0.4b. Please delete filmcutter.ini or place version 0.4b in a new folder.

Select/Add encoder now handles cancel from the add encoder dialog
properly(will not add a NULL encoder) no more NULL encoders.

"Script Write" now has a dialog box allowing selection of Aligned or
UnAligned Splice.

Script edit view has a six button tool bar on the right. Button six is shared
with trim edit view and is meant for your external viewer.

Quick internal preview of unsaved script available thought menu or F5.
External viewer will also display unsaved script when launched from script editor.
Pressing F5 will play the current viewed script.

Script editor and viewer windows both track the source/project checkbox.

Thanks
Ebob

Ebobtron
1st August 2005, 18:37
Adding F5 shortcut key to the script editor window resulted in the 't' key being ignored by my message loop.

Cannot tell you why. Did a quick rewrite and now the F6 button play/stops the video and the F5 key works as well.

Other little fixes too, look at the change log in the downloaded file.

nnigam
5th August 2005, 21:17
It appears to be a very useful tool. I tried it today. Under NT 4.0 the buttons are missing their text, and the video does not go into preview. Althouugh vdubmod opens it just fine. I will try tonight at home where I have XP sp2 and see how it goes.

Thanks for making the effort to write a useful product.

Ebobtron
6th August 2005, 05:29
@ nnigam
Thanks for the bug report and the kind words.

“Under NT 4.0 the buttons are missing their text”
Can I assume that the buttons you are talking about are the “encode“, “write script“, “delete” and “insert” buttons used in the trim edit view?. If that is indeed the case, the “Ok” and “Cancel” buttons in the dialog boxes should be blank as well. For the sake of others that may read this, all other buttons are iconic and most all start out blank.

The blank buttons should be the six tool buttons to the right of the script edit window in the script edit view. The preview window has no buttons at this time. The trim edit view sports eight iconic buttons beneath the video viewer window, two are always blank in this version. To the left of the frame window the checkbox should be grayed out to start and the label should be “Source”. Above the checkbox the button will start out blank, this button is shared with the script editor and is iconic. Continuing to the left is “insert” and “delete”. In the top left corner is a static iconic window that displays the icon of the selected external encoder. Right of the corner is two buttons, which should be labeled “encode”, and “write script”.

There is a reference in the “Microsoft Platform SDK February 2003” documentation, which follows.
If you specify Microsoft Windows® version 4.x or later when linking your application, its windows cannot have caption buttons unless they also have window menus. This is not a requirement if you specify Windows version 3.x when linking your application.

Well my windows do not have menus so maybe that is it. However, the note shown above is vague at best.
"and the video does not go into preview".
This is a little more bothersome and prompts the following questions.

Did you receive a MCI error popup message box?
Did the status bar show the correct file name for your script?

nnigam
8th August 2005, 14:01
No need to bang your head. NT 4 is outdated now, and we should be upgrading to XP in the next month or so. I got busy with a couple of tasks this weekend, and so completely forgot to test under XP pro sp2 and media center at home, but will test and let you know.

As for the buttons, I get a window with no menus, and six buttons on the right which when clicked open a lauch tool dialog with the message untitled, and an ok button which closes the diallog box.

Right clicking, I can open an avs file. Then from rightclicking for preview, I am unable to get the file to play back. However, If I hit f5, then I do get the preview.

When my avs file is in the editor window, All buttons are still blank. When I press f5 for the preview all the buttons are gone.

In the trim/Edit window, only the encode, write script, delete, insert, play and 4 movement buttons are visible. There are 3 other buttons that do not have anything in them.

Let me play around it with some more and then I will be able to give a better idea. I tried to paste the image here, but somehow am unable to.

danpos
8th August 2005, 14:33
@Ebobtron

Is your website down? :(

Cheers,

Ebobtron
13th August 2005, 06:45
@Ebobtron

Is your website down? :(

Cheers,
It has not been down; tracking has been reporting hits all week though 12 August. Please try again if you already have not.

Ebobtron
13th August 2005, 21:28
@ nnigam

No need to bang your head. NT 4 is outdated now, and we should be upgrading to XP in the next month or so. I got busy with a couple of tasks this weekend, and so completely forgot to test under XP Pro SP2 and media center at home, but will test and let you know.I would generally agree with that. It would be nice to know if there are issues unique to NT 4.xx or any version for that matter.

As for the buttons, I get a window with no menus, and six buttons on the right which when clicked open a lauch tool dialog with the message untitled, and an ok button which closes the dialog box.That message box is a stray used to debug the program, sorry. Open an existing script or save one and the box will display the file name. Right click the button and you will get a dialog box for that button allowing you to select which external program you would like to launch with that button. Once an external tool has been selected for a button the icon for that tool will show in the button. Clicking that button will launch the tool which should open the saved file( not the viewed data ) after clicking OK in the message box showing the file name. Oops. Next version will trap the modified flag and ask the user if they would like to save the viewed data before launching the tool. F5 will play the viewed data and tool button six will not ask but send the viewed data in the script edit window to your external viewer or whatever program you desire.

Right clicking, I can open an avs file. Then from rightclicking for preview, I am unable to get the file to play back. However, if I hit F5, then I do get the preview.This is my fault. The three view choices are not clearly described in the menu as view choices and will be addressed in ver 0.5 of the program. At this time the script loading into the veiwer is sort of up in the air due to the video viewer’s ability to crash the program if the script crashes AviSynth. Untill I come up with a way to prevent the crash or trap the crash and report it so that the user has some warning that the script is the problem, this is going to be a little confussing.

When my avs file is in the editor window, All buttons are still blank. When I press F5 for the preview all the buttons are gone.Yup that is what is going to happen. The program changes views to do this. Press F5 again to return to the editor or F6 to stop and start play.

In the trim/Edit window, only the encode, write script, delete, insert, play and 4 movement buttons are visible. There are 3 other buttons that do not have anything in them.Yes, that is correct. The button above the check box is a repeat of button six from the edit view. Meant for your external video-viewer choice, the button should display the icon of the external viewer once it has been configured. The other two buttons do nothing but latch down or up in the current version and will be programmed as scan forword and scan reverse in a furture version of the program. The far right button which sends the frame numbers to the list windows should display filmcutter’s icon.

Let me play around it with some more and then I will be able to give a better idea. I tried to paste the image here, but somehow am unable to. Hope the above info helps you, help me. For which I am very grateful.
Images posted to the forum must be reviewed by the forum before they can be viewed, it can take a day or so.

Once again, thank you, for your time and interest in the program, any info positive or negative is helpful. It is very easy as the programmer to have tunnel vision and miss how misleading a few poorly chosen words can be.

Nic
14th August 2005, 09:42
ebobtron: Would you consider making it opensource? Wouldn't mind adding some bits. Been wanting to write something similar for ages, but as dragongodz points out, I can't start another project I won't finish... ;)

-Nic

EDIT:
ps
On windows2000 I have the same problem as is reported on NT4. Strange. I could fix it if only the source was available..... ;) lol

Ebobtron
15th August 2005, 00:02
@Nic
I‘d love some help.

As far as open source, she is nowhere near ready for that; nor do I think my ego is either.

Version 0.5b is underway let me finish that and do some cleanup, I‘ll send you details on the source when 0.5 is done. I think I can put all that together in about two weeks, currently resting from my vacation.

As far as the issues with NT 4.x and Win2000.

Nnigam’s last post suggests that he can see the text in the buttons that have text.

I think my menu structure is so poorly written that intuitive is the last thing it might be called. My wife clams that communication is not one of my skills. If you select the “Preview” window view from the script editor the script will not automatically load, which at this time is by design. If you load a script from file or save the script you are working on the “Trim Edit” window will load the video and because I use the same instance of the video viewer for both “Trim Edit” and “Preview” the video will already be loaded. Furthermore, if you load a script while in one of the views with a video window, the script will load.

F5 or view script (see how dumb my labels are, sounds like script view) saves the text in the script editor window and then loads the saved file “preview.avs” into the viewer and again it uses the same video viewer and view as “Preview“. Just switching views will not load the script. So I added the shortcut.

As for the rest, the program has no title or menu bar. I am shooting for menus that apply to the task and so they are right under my finger.

If there is more than I have been able to gleam from nnigam’s posts please elaborate.
The program is cookie dough and we can make it what we what it to be.

Version 0.5b should contain the following enhancements.

Cleaned up menus, which should make more sense.
Editable tool button dialogs and a button click will prompt the user to set the button up if it has not been configured to launch a tool.
Prompt the user to save the script before launching the tool from a tool button.
Program will test the script output before loading to detect script errors and resize the video window to make error reports from AviSynth easier to read.
Crash detection for really bad scripts.
Script properties display.

I want to get working on the parts of the program that made me start this thing.

So if you have time to help I would be honored and I have many questions.
If you do not OK. Your software has been a great aid to me. You showing an interest in FilmCutter has made my day.

Thanks Nic

Nic
15th August 2005, 01:01
Good luck with it :) I'll keep an eye on the thread to see how you progress.

Don't be afraid of releasing source code early...can help progress bits your having trouble with by someone else doing them. Your code can't be any worse than DVD2AVI when it comes to manipulation. Neuron2 must be going mad dealing with that mess on a regular basis.

-Nic

danpos
15th August 2005, 01:49
@Ebobtron

I wanna try your app but I don't get a successful download from your website (and the guilty is my crap ISP ...http://www.geocities.com/pcdanpos/smilies/furious3.gif http://www.geocities.com/pcdanpos/smilies/thumbsdown.gif). Could you host it in another place as rapidshare.de for instance? Forgive me for any inconvenience! http://www.geocities.com/pcdanpos/smilies/worried.gif

TIA,

Ebobtron
15th August 2005, 05:35
@danpos

Ok, here is the link.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3992969/FilmCutterVer0004beta.zip.html

danpos
15th August 2005, 05:46
@ebobtron

Thank so much for your attention and support, mate!! http://www.geocities.com/pcdanpos/smilies/klanjamse.gif

http://www.geocities.com/pcdanpos/smilies/cheers.gif

Ebobtron
5th October 2005, 05:44
Mostly a bug release.

Finally got the trim edit view closer to where I what it. I have renamed it to video edit view.

For the next version, I am working on color space detection, audio stream info and a draft mode for the video editor view to speed up (maybe) preview.

As for future feature additions. Anyone have a preference?
Batch encoding or an input Wizard. Or something else perhaps?

Ebobtron
8th October 2005, 15:59
Mostly a bug release.

Select New Project did not reset the check box or all the source/project flags.

You may delete an encoder from filmcutter's encoder list.

Script output properties now displays the audio sample rate and the color space output by AviSynth. It displays "YUY2", "YV12", and "DIB ". DIB shows up for either RGB32 or RGB24 (guess I will have to dig deeper). Soon you will be able to tell FilmCutter which color space your external encoder expects to see.

In addition, I think my idea about a draft mode preview may be very lame.

Thanks again for looking in,
Ebobtron

Ebobtron
26th October 2005, 19:12
Version 0.9 beta has a reworked status bar. You can save your project output scripts without messing up the current project. The encoder application dialog box has been reworked to allow color-space testing before launching the encoder. Max number of unique encoder configurations increased from nine to 99. I have also enabled very basic avi viewing (note the retro file open dialog box with preview). See the change log at the top of this thread.

http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter

http://rapidshare.de/files/6795203/FilmCutterVer0009beta.zip.html

Ebobtron
2nd November 2005, 21:08
Hello all,

Version 0.0.1.0 beta is up and ready for download.

More work done to the encoder dialog box to fix and improve.

Added tab control to the script editor. When a project is open the user can switch between source and project scripts in the editor window by clicking on a tab. see the change log (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=688196#post688196) in this thread.

or
http://rapidshare.de/files/7103415/FilmCutterVer0010beta.zip.html

Wish everyone has a happy and safe holiday season.
ebobtron :thanks:

Fizick
2nd November 2005, 23:42
Ebobtron,
May you consider to implement in AVS script editor:
1. select avisynth function from menu list:
2. select parameters for selected fuction from list

see here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=729114#post729114

Ebobtron
3rd November 2005, 08:34
Hi Fizick,

You have given me an early Christmas present, thank you. I have always considered such a feature far too difficult to maintain.

I have been thinking about an implementation of the TransAll plugin for FilmCutter’s scene editor. If the plugin is in the directory, the feature is available.

This certainly changes my thinking.

There is one problem though; you people are about eleven years ahead of me. I could use a little help in catching up. I have no clue how to read data from the dll.

Can someone volunteer to catch me up?

Update:
As of 11/10/05 I know how to access avisynth.dll to obtain filter lists and the like.
Ebobtron,
May you consider to implement in AVS script editor:
1. select avisynth function from menu list:
2. select parameters for selected fuction from list

see here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=729114#post729114
Thanks again,
Ebobtron

Ebobtron
6th November 2005, 22:10
@Fizick

Your alt left and right keys jump (fps * 2).

FilmCutter's jump buttons jump by default 300 had planned to assign up-arrow jump reverse and down-arrow jump forward, what would you think alt up and down arrows should be. Should we think in minutes, 1 min and 10 mins respectfully?

Anyone have an idea of useful numbers.

Ebobtron

Fizick
7th November 2005, 18:47
Please, try get some VirtualDubMod compatibility with this and other fuctions !
Thanks! :)

Fizick
7th November 2005, 18:52
I repost some my (old :)) suggestions here:
0.Fades and dissolves (cross-fades ?) will be very interesting!
1. Can we not close script windows when switch to preview ?(I like use VDMod F5 key for refresh frame preview after changing the script).
2. Full frame size option in editor for detailed preview. And may be option with small quarter-frame size with a few frames for fast but precise navigation - I often check if I exactly put trim to right place or i missed 1 or 2 frames.
I wrote this and understand now, that i want timeline option like Adome Premier or Ulead MediaStudio
3. Also I want scroll forward and backward by 50 frames with keyboard (ALT-arrow keys in VDMod).

Ebobtron
7th November 2005, 21:58
HI,

Please, try get some VirtualDubMod compatibility with this and other fuctions !
Thanks!
You make my life too easy VDMod 1.5.10.2 9 (build 2540) does nothing with the up/down arrows.
Thanks, I can do that. ;)
0.Fades and dissolves (cross-fades ?) will be very interesting!I quote the following source. "A gradual fade from one shot to the next is known as a crossfade, mix or dissolve".
http://www.mediacollege.com/video/editing/transition/crossfade.html
FilmCutter uses FadeIn, FadeOut, FadeIO and Dissolve to generate scripts. What do you think cross-fades are? :confused:

As you can see from an above post the alt up and down arrows will advance and reverse frames 2 seconds any framerate. It is coded in "ver 0.0.1.1".

As for the rest, coding an alpha of your item number 1. My thinking is the full size video window is best used with the script editor for filter tuning, or am I wrong. When I am done I will let you all take a peek.

I wrote this and understand now, that i want timeline option like Adome Premier or Ulead MediaStudio :D I am still laughing.

@Fizick
Concerning your post http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=732432#post732432 I have downloaded VDMod's source and sent PM to shOdan, from the source I can see that in practice env->GetVar() looks like....

avisynth.dll Class object = env->GetVar("$InternalFunctions$"), I need to track down where the data goes.

As for my end of a filter pick list, it is not going to be very hard, I can see most of the code in my head. The params feature is a little tricky but very doable.

Alpha update:
Sorry, but the alpha I promised is a total bust, I just hated it. Looking at other programs for ideas is good and bad, I very much like VDMod's script editor with the F5 feature. Looking through my idealist, I have come up with the following.
Menu select script preview options
auto play
return to same frame
Dual video windows, left (source) and right (edited source), they will not play but will be frame locked together.
Preview window in dual mode will have editable frame number window (go to frame), three-display option buttons (dual, left only, right only) and slide bar, only nav feature disabled will be the play button.
Maybe an Alt+F5 toggle to invoke the dual window mode without using the menu to preselect it.

If that does not help with script development I am not sure what will, once implemented I may consider small script editor window.

Still need to add the undo functions to the editor menus, how many levels of undo do you like.

Later,
Ebobtron

Ebobtron
12th November 2005, 16:37
Hi all,

I put an alpha up on the website which demos the filter picking popup idea from Fizick.

http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/fcAlpha.zip

As FilmCutter creates itself it has a little chat with avisynth.dll (http://avisynth.org) and collects the keywords for the external plugins in the external plugins directory.

You may activate the popup window from the script editor menu (right click the editor window) or by the keyboard shift+tab.
When the window is up you may use arrows or mouse to navagate the list, double click or enter to select. Once up, it will stay till you use it though.

When you select the filter you want, it is inserted at the current caret position or it replaces any selected text.

The alpha is 0.0.1.1 a and as far as I know a direct sub for 1.0 b except for the feature described above.

Ebobtron

Nic,
Thank you for being a sounding board and for the good advice.

Fizick
13th November 2005, 01:34
Ebobtron,
It works! Thanks. It is nice.
Small comment: I see two MVAnalyse, etc. It is becaurse of i have mvtools0953.dll and mvtools0991.dll in my plugin dir.
To use them prorerly, i must to use function name like mvtools0953_mvanalyse(param).
Forget about it now, but please recall it in some time in future (for stable version).
Right now i wate exited version with plugin parameters selection!
Probably we can select function name in script (not from your list!) by mouse or arrows, press F1 and get some form (table) to fill parameters.
But if fuction exist in scipt with parametes, we can select parameters values too, and fill the form.
But so you must parse this string. it is not easy task. some parameters are named, some are not.
So, probably more simple solution is popup window with all parametes list (with type) for current function, with possibility to press on it and put it to script line. (as you implement for functions names)
What anybody think about it?

Ebobtron
18th November 2005, 20:17
Hello all,
If anyone would like to see the progress of FilmCutter's new feature or more importantly like to help. I have uploaded a new alpha at http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/fcAlpha.zip.

With the current release of AviSynth only internals are working, but the good news is that Fizick found the bug. The info concerning the bug and the test build are here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=737974#post737974.

If you want to try the test build you’ll have to modify filmcutter.ini

Make this:
main window
1 156 86 752 526

write script
2 0

button 1
Look like this:
main window
1 156 86 752 526

write script
2 0

ForceEFP
1 change the one to a zero to go back to using the release build of avisynth.dll

button 1

Either way, to invoke the list press shift+tab, select a filter / function and press tab to open the function help dialog box.

The string from AviSynth.dll is shown on the bottom and the data should be parsed out into the boxes above (scroll is working).

The other change between the two alphas is I removed the alternate name filter for the list box (plugin_function name). Now every external plugin function is listed twice "Mpeg2Source and DgIndex_Mpeg2Source" are an example.

There is also a script menu function that will display the filters, internal and external and the parameter strings returned by AviSynth, runs very slow but that is not a bug, it is a very slow function.

If you see a string parsing problem please let me know.

There is a lot more to do, but the overall framework for the api, related to this feature, is about done.

One more thing, FilmCutter is set to limit these features to avisynth versions 2.55 and above. It is the oldest version I have to test with.

Thanks for looking,
EBobtron

Fizick
18th November 2005, 20:49
Link is wrong. probably this must work:

Ebobtron
21st November 2005, 19:07
Hello all,

One more alpha before the big offical release. :rolleyes:

Everything about this "filter/function lookup / help feature" mentioned in a pior post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=739704#post739704) still aplies, except add the following info.

After you have opened the dialog box ( select filter/function in the list then press tab ) please note.
Use the tab button to move forword though the data windows, no shift+tab for reverse navigation yet. The tab button will advance the vertical scroll and jump to the top if you tab past the last data field.
Data windows are now appropriate for the data type.
Only data presets are TRUE and FALSE loaded in the bool list boxes.
There are no defaults, the data windows start out NULL.
For the moment you can not load a scripted function into the dialog box.
You can preview the output string before you insert it into the script.
Clicking Insert closes the window and inserts the entire string into your script whereever your caret was or inplace of any text you may have selected pior to calling the list and dialog box.

Lots of work still to do, but I thought some might like a look see.

Ebobtron
And of course FilmCutters website and webguides are located here: http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter

Fizick
21st November 2005, 22:59
Thank for your works.
I will try it.
By the way, I replaced test build avisynth.dll by version with number 2.5.7 . Link above.

Ebobtron
22nd November 2005, 07:25
Hi,

Went to test with avisynth.dll ver 2.57 ala Fizick and caught a buffer use error in FilmCutter, that caused instant program termination.

I have corrected the error and updated the Alpha on the website.
The error only affected the alphas, when used with versions of avisynth pior to 2.57 with ForceEFP set to 0.

@ Fizick,

Thanks for the new Avisynth build. I was able to test FilmCutter's version trapping and I guess I can remove the ForceEFP functions from the released beta. User's who follow this thread will have the new build away, if they want.

:thanks: Thank you for your work.

Ebobtron

Ebobtron
30th November 2005, 08:59
Hi,

Well I did it again, released a little too early, look for 1.2b next week.

Did you know that “Audiodub(clip=v, clip=a)” does not work fortunately d2v = “” works, I didn’t even give it a thought. Someone please slap me. :stupid:

The only thing that will not be obvious is the right click on the data windows in the filter parameter dialog-box. The right click should get you a file name dialog box that will insert the file name into the little window.

Went back a little and downloaded all versions of AviSynth 2.5 and tested each with FilmCutter the results follow.

2.50 no filter name export.
2.51 no filter name export.
2.52 external filter function names attempting param read throws exception or at least it does not crash.
2.53 external filter function names attempting param read crashes.
2.54 external filter function names attempting param read crashes.
2.55 internal and plug-in function name lookup working can read internal function parameters attempting to read plug-in function params causes instant and fatal error. Alternate names for externals added in 2.55.
2.56 same as 2.55.
2.57 all working in Fizick's build.FilmCutter will provide the proper amount of support depending on the version of AviSynth your using, preventing the crashing. Probably a waste of time, but I did find some bugs in my version trapping.

I wish I could say the filter picker and param dialog is 100% stable but I can not say that, testing continues of course.

or
http://rapidshare.de/files/8361518/FilmCutterVer0011beta.zip.html

I am now going to go sulk for a while, get some sleep and try again tomorrow.

Fizick
1st December 2005, 22:16
Will try on weekend.

Ebobtron
5th December 2005, 20:22
Hello all,
That old last but not least stuff gets old so.......

@Doom9
Thank you for this place where I play and learn.
@all
Thanks you for making this forum such a great place to play and learn.
@Nic
Thanks for your time, when you have none.
@Fizick
Thanks for the great ideas and then coming though with a fix so I can pursue them.

As promised 0.0.1.2 b.
or
http://rapidshare.de/files/8673247/FilmCutterVer0012beta.zip.html

FilmCutter is not crash free yet but the filter / function popup list and parameter dialog should not be so deadly.

I kind of think it is a pain to type a little then mouse a little or try to do both. I have tried to setup FilmCutter so you can keep you hands on the keyboard if you like. Therefore I have made some changes to the filter / function popup list and dialog they include.

Changed “shift+tab” to “ctrl+tab” to display the filter / function list. Seems more comfortable to me.
Once the list is up keep typing, note the far right column of the status bar will display “Filter search = M“ if you type a ‘M’, the list highlight will move to the first ‘M’. don’t worry about case just keep typing, as you get close the filter / function you want will show. Lots faster than arrowing down though the list. Backspace works if you type the wrong character, and alt_names work as well. If the highlight lands on your filter press enter or tab for the dialog box.
Once your in the dialog box pressing “Ctrl+Shift+O” will open a file dialog box for filename selection that will insert into the data cell that your in. Tab navigation still works. Press enter and your done.
You should be able to write the following script without touching the mouse, I can.
vid = MPEG2Source(d2v="E:\your.d2v", iPP=TRUE)
aud = WAVSource("E:\your.wav")
AudioDub(vid, aud)
Normalize()

There are three recently discovered issues with FilmCutter.
FilmCutter’s video viewer / player does not work well with audio only scripts, not that there is anything wrong with that Mr. Gates. It is just that I have not properly trapped the exceptions, my bad.
Along the same lines the script output property routines assume there will always be a video stream, again my bad.
If you have selected a display aspect ratio of 16:9 the player will refuse to play with some window sizes. Slightly moving the window edge solves the problem. I have not seen the problem when using 4:3 but do not know why.The audio only issues will be addressed by next version.

Going to come at FilmCutter as a user for the remaining days of 2005 and hopefully come back with a much improved program in 2006.

I wish all a happy and safe holiday.
Keep the cards and letters coming.

Ebobtron

Fizick
6th December 2005, 19:13
Ebobtron,
Many thanks for your works.
At last i try it.
But i will report bug report and suggestions. Did you really ask it :)

1. severe bug: I can not use two or more trims - some "unexpected characters" apeears instead of "+" at end of script:
t01 + t02
Please, anybody confirm it. (may be it is for Russian codepage only ?)
2. small bug: If I use loadplugin("filter.dll") instead of loadplugin("c:\plugindir\filter.dll"), script failed. You must use default dir, where script.avs is placed, but not filmcutter itself.
3.semi-bug: Where are windows controls ? Why i may not move filmcutter window ? :)
4. Avisynth function selection in Script window is nice. But how i can exit it without selection (cancel selection)?
4.1 IMHO, use it as simple name and parameters reminder window will be quite fine.
It may be not obligatory to select from list and put to script something. It may be done by hand too.
5. View select switching is a little complex. Why not place it directly on list (without tree)? Faster switching.
6. Preview window is very fast! It is very good (unlike AVSEDIT). 4:3 and 16:9 aspect is good idea. But it is missed the MAIN feature: direct AS IS output without any resising, (scale 1:1), pixel by pixel, precise view. And it must be default option! Probably, window resizing by mouse is bad idea (IMHO). It is very hard return to 1:1 scale later.
7.1 IMHO, preview window must start with stopped (paused) frame (not playing).
7.2. It will be very good, if after switching and editing in script window, the Preview was returned to not to start frame, but to same last frame. Filmcutter must remember this position. It is very useful virtualdubMod F5 feature (and to tune avisynth script parameters (like filter strength).
7.3. IMHO, previe window must not be closed after switching to script window, for easy contral above filtering changes.
8. I still want 2 frame window (aka timeline) in Video editor view. So we can see exact trim position (see both frame before trim and frame after trim).

Best regards!
I like to see othe opinions too. By the way , thanks for source code of your program.

Fizick
6th December 2005, 20:09
In addition I see interesting info about VirtualDub and reopen badly edited scripts
http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=11178&
[phaeron wrote:] "The Reopen (F2) option deliberately opens a new version of the script without releasing the old version first. This ensures that if an error occurs on the reopen that VirtualDub still has the old script to fall back to. If the reopen fails, the new script is dropped; otherwise, the old script is dropped and replaced with the new one. This means that avisynth.dll will not unload when a reload occurs, since it always has at least one object outstanding."

Ebobtron
7th December 2005, 06:57
Ebobtron,
Many thanks for your works. At last i try it.
But i will report bug report and suggestions. Did you really ask itIt is very nice when someone likes your work. We get a better program when they don’t. I will not alway agree but I listen. :goodpost:
1. severe bug: I can not use two or more trims - some "unexpected characters" apeears instead of "+" at end of script: t01 + t02
Please, anybody confirm it. (may be it is for Russian codepage only ?) :( Everything in FilmCutter is “ASCII”, “+” = 0x2B.

if(spliceType == 1)
sprintf(spliceChar,"+");

if(spliceType == 2)
sprintf(spliceChar,"++");

Then later in the process:

while(t < i)
{
sprintf(bb,"%st%02i",spliceChar,t);
lstrcat(aa,bb);
t++;
}
ofile << aa;

Should I use:
sprintf(spliceChar,"%c%c",43,43);
2. small bug: If I use loadplugin("filter.dll") instead of loadplugin("c:\plugindir\filter.dll"), script failed. You must use default dir, where script.avs is placed, but not filmcutter itself.I can see where that is a problem “windat.avs” needs to reside in the source script directory. By having “windat.avs” in FilmCutter’s directory I don’t have to delete it and I have a backup of the last script loaded prior to any crash. An oversight by me otherwise. Can fix and I’ll rename it to fctemp.avs so you know where it came from. Intended to put a header in the file also.
3.semi-bug: Where are windows controls ? Why i may not move filmcutter window ?Because I am Lazy, I killed the title bar and killed the automated move from windows. I am sure that I can write something that allows you to click on the main window frame and drag it around, I just have not done it. I gave you a minimize selection in the menus, what more do you need. ;) I might be lazy, but I can drag the edges around. I will add it to the list.
4. Avisynth function selection in Script window is nice. But how i can exit it without selection (cancel selection)?
4.1 IMHO, use it as simple name and parameters reminder window will be quite fine.
It may be not obligatory to select from list and put to script something. It may be done by hand too.This one I did not miss. Just did not tell you about it. Menu select to show list / menu select to hide list. Ctrl+Tab to show list / Ctrl+Tab to hide list. Guess I can hide it with the escape key too. As for 4.1, I have a thought about having a “save last used parameters” option, could be useful.
5. View select switching is a little complex. Why not place it directly on list (without tree)? Faster switching.Did that mostly for organization instead of “Script Editor Window View”, it seem to make a little more sense. Been thinking about short cut keys but can not decide which to use. Any ideas.
6. Preview window is very fast! It is very good (unlike AVSEDIT). 4:3 and 16:9 aspect is good idea. But it is missed the MAIN feature: direct AS IS output without any resising, (scale 1:1), pixel by pixel, precise view. And it must be default option! Probably, window resizing by mouse is bad idea (IMHO). It is very hard return to 1:1 scale later.
7.1 IMHO, preview window must start with stopped (paused) frame (not playing).
7.2. It will be very good, if after switching and editing in script window, the Preview was returned to not to start frame, but to same last frame. Filmcutter must remember this position. It is very useful virtualdubMod F5 feature (and to tune avisynth script parameters (like filter strength).
7.3. IMHO, previe window must not be closed after switching to script window, for easy contral above filtering changes.
I have begun the rewrite of all of this, that you list above, I think you will like. I have kind of had my head in the function list and param help dialog. When done you will be able to select from a list of preview options that should set F5 on it’s ear.
8. I still want 2 frame window (aka timeline) in Video editor view. So we can see exact trim position (see both frame before trim and frame after trim).See above, all part of the same functions except for the additional video windows, which should nest in nicely.
Best regards!
I like to see othe opinions too. By the way , thanks for source code of your program.Yes, yes more opinions please..... and..... Your welcome, just return it when your done.
In addition I see interesting info about VirtualDub and reopen badly edited scripts
http://forums.virtualdub.org/index....T&f=15&t=11178&I have dropped phaeron‘s post for brevity. Not sure what your trying to tell me about, a way of dealing with bad edits or multiple instances of avisynth.dll causing a memory problem, both issues are in my head, we will see. The no video or audio only script issue FilmCutter has is my fault and will be fixed in the next release. Probably will not play but should not terminate the program at warp 10.
:thanks: for spending the time with FilmCutter
Ebobtron

Fizick
7th December 2005, 09:29
I am still do not understand, does Ebotron or somebody else has this problem with "++" for two trims?

Ebobtron
7th December 2005, 21:20
Hi Fizick,
Sorry for my poor attemp at an answer above.

I am still do not understand, does Ebotron or somebody else has this problem with "++" for two trims?I can not duplicate bug.
I checked the project output script in a hex editor and all was ok. This is what it should look like. t 0 1 + t 0 2 + + t 0 3
74 30 31 20 2b 20 74 30 32 20 2b 2b 20 74 30 33To repeat from above post.
Everything in FilmCutter is “ASCII”, “+” = 0x2B.
if(spliceType == 1)
sprintf(spliceChar,"+");
if(spliceType == 2)
sprintf(spliceChar,"++");

Then later in the process:
while(t < i)
{
sprintf(bb,"%st%02i",spliceChar,t);
lstrcat(aa,bb);
t++;
}
ofile << aa;

Should I use:
sprintf(spliceChar,"%c%c",43,43);I was trying to show you how the code is written, and if you thought a change would help your problem. If you are having trouble with "++", I am concerned about other charactors such as "(" ")" like "trim(xxx,xxxx)".

Sorry for my poor answer.
Ebobtron

Ebobtron
8th December 2005, 02:41
Hi all,

Fizick truly found a bug, easy to fix.

+ = 1;
++ = 2;
whatever happens to be in 4 bytes of memory = 0;

When FilmCutter first runs it has to create filmcutter.ini which it fills with blank data. If you never access the write script dialog you will never write over the zeros in filmcutter.ini "write script" field. To access this dialog box right click the scene list window in the video editor. This problem is very old.

Let me just remind everyone to right click everything you see, there could be or will be a popup or menu that could be adjustable

Great catch Fizick :thanks:
Ebobtron

Fizick
8th December 2005, 06:28
O.K.

About next:

I can see where that is a problem “windat.avs” needs to reside in the source script directory. By having “windat.avs” in FilmCutter’s directory I don’t have to delete it and I have a backup of the last script loaded prior to any crash. An oversight by me otherwise. Can fix and I’ll rename it to fctemp.avs so you know where it came from. Intended to put a header in the file also.

Renaming to fctemp.avs is fine. Putting it to script dir will work, but
you can consider two other possibility, when it resides in Filmcutter (or TEMP) directory:
2. OR you may try to add "SetWorkingDir (original path)" to beginning of project avs.
3. ELSE you may set working dir for filmcutter.exe (by some Windows API command).

Ebobtron
8th December 2005, 21:05
Renaming to fctemp.avs is fine.That is what I did. Putting it to script dir will workWorks great but
you can consider two other possibility, when it resides in FilmCutter (or TEMP) directory:
2. OR you may try to add "SetWorkingDir (original path)" to beginning of project avs.Works just as well but could be more confusing to user I think.
3. ELSE you may set working dir for filmcutter.exe (by some Windows API command).This does not work in simple form and could be a lot of work when the two above always work.
This could be revisited later.

I did look though the API functions could not find the one I need like below.
Class GodLike
{
bool readUsersMind(void);
};Then I could write:
if(!lstrcmp(fName,"Untitled")
{
readUsersMind();
}"When there is no path, there is no solution."
:thanks:
Ebobtron

p.s. Next

Fizick
8th December 2005, 21:45
Good news about fixing a bug.
(do not forget always set default case to any conditional block! :))

I will like filmcutter.exe soon :)
But I dislike, if in every directory we will have fctemp.avs. :(
Or you will delete it on exit?
Way "2" with Setworkingdir("xxx") temporary line is better in my opinion.

best regards

Ebobtron
9th December 2005, 17:00
@Fizick

Good news about fixing a bug.
(do not forget always set default case to any conditional block! )
Yes of course.
I will like filmcutter.exe soon
Start liking FilmCutter sooner, please.
But I dislike, if in every directory we will have fctemp.avs.
Or you will delete it on exit?
fctemp.avs is gone. windat.avs returns to FilmCutter directory.
Way "2" with Setworkingdir("xxx") temporary line is better in my opinion.
Yup, that is what I have done.
When source = untitled && load*() is used
if(createPreviewAvs())
Warn user that script may have to be saved to resolve search path for file componetsStill lots of ways for user to get into trouble d2v =“my.d2v” instead of d2v = “d2vpath\my.d2v” If script is untitled (unsaved) lots of errors are possible.

No easy fix for file descriptions that contains no drive\directory information.

Next was window controls: != 1.3b

1.3b will have new preview window options

video rightside, script properties from AviSynth leftside with frame lock
video top, script editor bottom with update button and frame lock
dual window saved source left, edited left, script editor at bottom
original size for sure and maybe scrolable zoom or full screen toogle

Lots to do
Happy happy,
TTFN
Ebobtron

Ebobtron
26th December 2005, 05:41
Hello everyone and Merry, HO HO.
Made some small progress on 0.0.1.3b., but lots still to do.
If you'd like a preview of the new preview?
http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/fc13alpha.zip

The script preview functions now have two modes the first or standard has a frame counter with frame advance and reverse buttons. Also a jump to frame window. The second or w/script editor has the script editor text window displayed in the lower portion of FilmCutter's window and an update button for loading the edited script data into the viewer. Preview w/editor uses the same editor, it has the same menu and all functions of the editor are available for use.

Entering preview can be done by menu or the F5 key. F6 will jump to the preview and begin play from wherever the preview window last was, and then control play/stop in the preview window.

You can jump to any frame directly by entering the frame number into the jump window and pressing enter.

You can change the preview mode while in preview by using the video window menu preview mode selector.

This and future versions will draw a more defined line between the script preview feature and the video viewer.

I have included the current changelog with the alpha.

Oh yea, ever sense the idea of an imported filter/function list was thrust upon me by Fizick, the gray stuff between my ears has been churning the stock edit control functions and I have proven to myself that I could write some code that would draw a colored overlay for the keywords. I am not overly please with the results. You can see it by clicking the syntax highlighting item under script options in the script editor popup menu.

If your new to avsFilmCutter the main page is here:

medp7060
26th December 2005, 11:09
I tried 0.0.1.3b. As reported before, all the buttons on the initial windows are missing their text, and the video does not go into preview. I am using XP SP2.

Ebobtron
26th December 2005, 15:52
@ medp7060
Sorry, the user interface is a bit tricky.

The buttons on the right side of the initial window are user programmable and are blank until you set them up, click one, or right click one.
I tried 0.0.1.3b. As reported before, all the buttons on the initial windows are missing their text, and the video does not go into preview. I am using XP SP2.How are you entering preview? If you use the menu "View Selection" to switch views the script will not load. Use F5 or the menu item PreView Script. The status bar on the very left side will display the view mode you are in, it will read "Script Preview" when in preview and "Video Viewer" when not.

Again, sorry you're having trouble. Please try again.

medp7060
27th December 2005, 02:25
I see. Please add something above the buttons saying "user defined".

I did use the menu item PreView Script. no video at all although the same script can be played well using other tools. It actually hang and I could not return to the editor by F5.

Ebobtron
27th December 2005, 02:56
@ medp7060
Could you please show me the script and also which tools does the script work in, VirtualDub, MplayerClassic, please? What version of AviSynth?

Do you recieve any warning messages from FilmCutter?

Also after starting FilmCutter without changing the text in the editor press F5, you should get an error message from avisynth. Switch to Video Viewer and right clicking the video window open a script there it should load there also.
With your script loaded in the editor press F8 that should show a short list the output properties for your script.
I see. Please add something above the buttons saying "user defined".

I did use the menu item PreView Script. no video at all although the same script can be played well using other tools. It actually hang and I could not return to the editor by F5.

Thanks for the information, I need more though.

medp7060
29th December 2005, 12:00
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
DirectShowSource("E:\ccc.avi",30)
ConvertToYV12()

It is palyable by VirtualDub, WMplayer. Version of AviSynth is the latest one 2.56.

I loaded the script and F8 worked. Then "Preview script" failed and I got no warning messages from FilmCutter. It hang.

Ebobtron
3rd January 2006, 22:42
Hello all,
Hope everyone had a nice holiday.
New alpha2 is at http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/fc13alpha.zip

alpha 1 had broken parts everywhere:
no encode from script menu
the scene editor lost its edit row feature, it was really broken and took forever to find. Caused by my adding the filter help dialog. Really easy to fix though.
lots of little things related to focus

"DirectShowSource"Don't you just love things that come along and stop you dead in your tracks? Why AviSynth's output is different when using DSS as compared to any other input filter is beyond me. Maybe the overall environment is different, but as things relate to FilmCutter's viewer, something is different.@ medp7060
You wrote, "It hang." It sure do.
If you right click on the task bar button for FilmCutter twice the program will un-hang, or it does for me.

The program is halting. When the filename(the script in the editor) is loaded into the viewer, the stock windows function that performs the task never returns control to FilmCutter. My system almost always loads the file and shows me the video but never returns from preview without the hang.

The same thing is happening thought, when it loads and fails it closes the file and hangs. When it loads successfully it hangs when you close the file by switching out of preview.

When you ask for the script output properties FilmCutter uses the same functions that VirtualDub uses and they seem to be able to open and close the file without trouble.

My investigation into this will continue, but the facts support no solution at this time, except that I need a different viewer and that is another story.

Thanks again for calling this to my attention.

Ebobtron
11th January 2006, 20:19
avsFilmCutter 0.0.1.3b
or
http://rapidshare.de/files/10860233/FilmCutterVer0013beta.zip.html
Please check the changelog and the user's doc in the zip file.

Fizick
12th January 2006, 23:19
Huge amount of changes! Thanks!
I will try it, but I have not very many time now.

Ebobtron
1st February 2006, 20:44
avsFilmCutter 0.0.1.4b

Version 0.0.1.4beta is on the website. Most of the important changes are internal. Added an optional "Info" window to the Script Preview feature, this information is gathered directly from AviSynth and should be more complete.
As an example ColorSpace will be reported as RGB instead of DIB. "Script Preview" has its own menu to better accommodate future additions to this feature. The Video Editor Source/Project check box has been replaced by two radio buttons Source and Project.

or
http://rapidshare.de/files/12329053/FilmCutterVer0014beta.zip.html

Amnon82
3rd February 2006, 16:36
@Ebobtron: I took a look on your programm. Nice app.

I've two questions for you:
I'm coding in Delphi and use avisynth_c-port for open AVS-files in my newest build of AutoQ2. I coded also an sample app with a preview option. avisynth_c displays only files in RGB. I tried also your app with YUY2, YUV12 and got a black screen. In my apps I got a white one. Only RGB shows the frames. So my first question is: Does AVISYNTH only displays RGB frames?

My second question: In what language do you code?

Ebobtron
3rd February 2006, 19:23
Hi Amnon82,
Thanks for the “Nice App”, I think it is a good idea that needs work.

I will answer the last question first. C++ using “Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003” with “Microsoft Platform SDK February 2003” both free from Microsoft http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/.

As for the second, “Does AVISYNTH only displays RGB frames?”. The answer is no. AviSynth outputs YV12, YUY2 and RGB and I believe a couple more are planned.

Concerning the white screen, FilmCutter will show a white screen if no file is loaded into the viewer. Otherwise it should show the first frame of video, if it is black, then it shall be black. FilmCutter should view any file you can load into VirtualDub.

It is a little hard to tell by your question, is FilmCutter only showing black frames with YV12 and YUY2. Does your script file work in VirtualDub, does it contain DSS as an input source?

Your problem is I think easier to define. If you will let me assume that you are getting the frame data and drawing it to the screen then only the RGB will work without some conversion in between. May I recommend that you look at the source code for two AviSynth plug-ins, avsMonitor and tritical’s TMonitor. I can not really read it very well, but it is clear that colorspace testing and converting is going on.

Thanks again for looking in and for the nice comments. And please if you could calm my fears about the black frames.

Inc
3rd February 2006, 20:41
@Ebobtron: I took a look on your programm. Nice app.

I've two questions for you:
I'm coding in Delphi and use avisynth_c-port for open AVS-files in my newest build of AutoQ2. I coded also an sample app with a preview option. avisynth_c displays only files in RGB. I tried also your app with YUY2, YUV12 and got a black screen. In my apps I got a white one. Only RGB shows the frames. So my first question is: Does AVISYNTH only displays RGB frames?

My second question: In what language do you code?

Your display is rgb, so your graphics cards delivers a rgb signal and so you do use the GDI API routines or maybe delphi native commands to show the image.
To show the image, you have to feed to your code a rgb one.
(If using DirectX then you could pass the yuv image via the hardware on your graphicscard which could do the conversation, but lets stick on straight rgb handling).
Do apply in your delphi avisynth_c example a condition where its asked about the incoming Colorspace from the resulted clip. There are declared functions in the avisynth_c interface which can do that like 'IsRGB32()'.
If its not the case, then do invoke via a "ConverttoRGB32()" , take the clip from the result and use avsiynth's BitBlt() to perform an image blocktransfer to your determined target-imagepointer. Now the frameserved Imagedata is rgb which is easy to handle for your application's video preview routines by just requesting the bitmaps from the mentioned target-image-memorypointer. I do use RGB24 as output with no problems but as I heared its better to serve RGB32 as its DWORD aligned (if I understood right) as most of the GDI API routines do prefer DWORD aligned RGB data.

Amnon82
5th February 2006, 12:25
Thx inc for that answer. It was what I thougth. I wrote you pms, cos I had troubles to do the 'ConverttoRGB32()' using invoke. Please forget those pms. I found the solution:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4881/untitled21ov.th.png (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled21ov.png)

Sample + Source (http://scifi.pages.at/amsoft/files/avisynth_c_sample_v3.7z)

Fizick
5th March 2006, 23:09
ebobtron,
I try v1.4b.
at start (in new empty folder) it creates files with a strange names "ilmcutter.exe encoder.ini", "ilmcutter.exe filmcutter.ini", and "ilmcutter.exe rowdat.fcr"
And of course then it does not find "encoder.ini", etc. :)

Ebobtron
6th March 2006, 14:53
Fizick,
Sorry your version of 1.4b not work so good. :o

I checked my version and found that all was well.
downloaded the current version from the website and reinstalled here, all was OK. Is it possible that your download is bad, please retry.:confused:

Nothing internal changed enough to cause problems like that.
:confused:

I see you keeping busy with Russian AviSynth Page (http://avisynth.org.ru/) and your many other pursuits. Glad someone is doing good.

Barly able to keep up myself.

Fizick
6th March 2006, 20:39
Sorry for false alarm. Probably somewhat was wrong with my PC. :(
Today all correct.

So, I test a litle more far :).
Filmcutter is still not usable for me. I do not know, how to set the picture size of preview window exactly equal to frame size.
I need in it to control effect of different denoisers etc.
Where is this option? May be I missed somewhat again?

Ebobtron
13th March 2006, 19:28
Sorry for my slow response. I have been ill for about a month and to make matter’s worst I decided to give up my 35 year old smoking habit. So I am not even sure that I am sane.;)

Filmcutter is still not usable for me. I do not know, how to set the picture size of preview window exactly equal to frame size.Yes, I know. I feel like a young student who has forgotten his home work. I could have included this feature in either of the last two versions, but my focus was on the preview window with script editor, which you have failed to comment on, should I assume that without an “actual size” video window this feature is useless too?

In my defense since the beginning of the year my attention to the core project has been deflected by FilmCutter’s need for a more competent viewer. So most of the work in FilmCutter has been “non related” to viewer support, except as needed.

Sadly most of my total time has been completely spent away from FilmCutter as the work to secure a new viewer is not at all related. I have spent some wasted time waiting for mail that never comes, questions that don’t get answered, but I have kept working.

Version 1.5 beta is close but my mental state is still a little too flighty to be relied upon for testing. I want some version of the new direct show viewer testable and I will implement some sort of “source video size option” in “preview“, as well. Documentation changes and updates will take more time also.

Anyway thanks for the help and hopfully by the time I get FilmCutter up to Version 2.0 she'll be a pretty usefull tool.

Fizick
13th March 2006, 21:08
I do not wait quick answer,
and I like your combined preview and mini-script window!

I will wait version 1.9 :)
(2.0 will be new alpha :)

Ebobtron
28th March 2006, 00:03
I do not wait quick answer,
and I like your combined preview and mini-script window!

I will wait version 1.9 :)
(2.0 will be new alpha :)

:( What are you talking about.

I'm sorry I need help now, I can not wait for 1.9 or 2.0. :)

Ebobtron
21st June 2006, 10:35
Hello, hello it has been a long time.

Version 0.0.1.5 beta is up on the website for download.

it can also be downloaded from
http://rapidshare.de/files/23665378/FilmCutterVer0015b.zip.html

You XP user's should be happy, the colors should look like I suddenly know what I am doing and the little round corners should be there too.

More info is on the first and second posts.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=687842#post687842

Ebobtron
18th July 2006, 07:46
Hello to everyone. :)

This thread is one year and a couple of days old and for its birthday I gave FilmCutter a Save Wave function.

Direct Show is available everywhere for all needs and is now the default.

Details are -> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=97438
Web site -> http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter
Rapid Share -> http://rapidshare.de/files/26144968/FilmCutterVer0016b.zip.html

Thanks Fizick for all the help and support.
Sorry, I have not resolved all the issues related to the script preview with editor and all. But with the viewer thing sort of dealt with I can spend my time with the view layouts using code that will work with the new viewer (tried to make them the same but they behave differently).

A small caution for you wavers out there.When I wrote the save wave function I was concentrating on 64 bit integer math on a 32 bit platform so I can get the thing to properly write a 4 gig wave file. I sort of forgot that someone saving a wave that large might want to pause or cancel the save. Once it starts it will not stop unless you stomp the program externally.

If you going to do much large file wave saving, I'd clean the air holes around you harddrive. Sort of spins them right on up.

I will fix this, next version.

Thanks, enjoy and please let me know. :)

Ebobtron
2nd August 2006, 00:50
Hello there,
I have a new alpha on the website,
see http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/alpha.html

details will follow in the change log (second post (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=688196#post688196))
info on the alpha page is correct, it just lacks the information below about the direct show filter interface.

for those interested I have uncovered the direct show filters interface for those filters in use by the viewer in FilmCutter. that of course is not unusual I have seen that in a visual basic interface. What is different this time is that the filters property pages are displayed in a window that can be in the background, but the best part is that they are in their own threads. You may pause the video, jump around in the video.
You can open multiples, even three or four, open them all.

closing FilmCutter will destroy the windows but breaking the filter chain by reloading or loading a different video file will leave non-working filter pages on the screen.

Ebobtron
14th August 2006, 20:05
hello all,
I have another alpha (alphabeta17_b3.rar) loaded, it can be had @ http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/alpha.html

The direct show video player in alphabeta 17b2 would eat your computer 100 Megabytes at a time. AB17b3 should work as advertised. Thanks go to Fizick for catching the memory leak.

Fizick is also responsible (his idea) for the other work I am doing with the filter / functions help dialog window and it's workings.

I have started work to allow AviSynth documentation calls from within FilmCutter.

Select function / filter name in you script then press F1
Sort of works, sort of does not.
Also
Select entire function and parameters then press F1
Select from first letter in function / filter name to the closing ")" no more.
Currently the alpha throws a clip name list which could use testing. Then if the your number of parameters match the filter / functions total parameter list it will try and fill the parameters in the dialog window that pops up.

This is real early so if anyone has some algorithms for this, I'd love to see them. This may be customizable but I really doubt that I could ever write code that parsed all the possibilities or that could recognize them. Because I don’t know what they are.

Have fun and thanks for the help! :thanks:

I am looking for ideas.

Ebobtron,

Fizick
14th August 2006, 20:48
alpha, prealpha, alphabeta ...
Thanks. :)
"Multi pane video viewer" - ?
I am still ask for TWO frames - two subwindows in video editor (previous and currect), to cut between.
That is what I name as "timeline".

more opinions?

Ebobtron
22nd August 2006, 04:29
@Fizick said "alpha, prealpha, alphabeta ... "

Got to call them something. :o

Beta may be ready at end of week. Going to include early imp of your timeline thingy, one extra video window. Just something to play with.

More work was done to the filter parameter helper dialog.
loads your parameters better and loads the clip combo box with a varible list from the script.

Ebobtron
18th September 2006, 09:20
hello hello all,

new version time again.

Some links related the this.

First post this thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=687842#post687842)

Alternate download site (http://rapidshare.de/files/33530893/FilmCutterVer0017b.zip.html)

Home (http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter)

That was easy. :thanks:

vcmohan
19th September 2006, 04:04
My plugins are now at my page. Latest version of TransAll is in this page. May be you can change the link url to my page.

Ebobtron
19th September 2006, 07:50
My plugins are now at my page. Latest version of TransAll is in this page. May be you can change the link url to my page.

If you, Sir, are referencing the link on the page http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/fcwebguideTALL.html. I can, and have done so. I had noticed your new page, but thank you for the reminder, It might have been some time before I updated it (it is over ten months old now).

I read the small bio (http://www.avisynth.org/vcmohan/vcmohan.html) you posted as well.

A funny thing about this is that my wife, just yesterday asked if maybe I was getting a bit too old for this "computer thing" she calls it.

It turns out that you got your "Masters Degree in Applied Physics" the year I was born, I figure I am safe and not too old.

I think we will have to start referring to you as Mr. V.C. Mohan, at least I will.

Thanks for the great plugins. :thanks:
Rob

vcmohan
20th September 2006, 03:51
Well, I think that this computer thing is what keeps me (at least my mind) young.

Thanks for liking my olugin

Ebobtron
1st October 2006, 10:22
FilmCutter can now save the individual channels to .wav files in one pass.

More details here -> http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/alpha.html

Ebobtron
30th May 2007, 19:30
New version
0.0.1.9 beta

Lots of clean up from 1.8b and PSDK R2 change over.
Visa users report more stability with the last alpha.

New:
Tool tip enable/disable moved to Options (old preference) dialog page, this dialog page has tool tips itself.
Script editor line numbers are now an option on the options dialog page.
You may comment out large blocks in code with one click of the mouse. See the "#" on the toolbar "Shift+Ctrl+#". Or just the line the cursor is on.

Here on the form (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=687842#post687842)
There (http://www.avsfilmcutter.com)

Ebobtron
13th June 2007, 15:05
:(
I offer an alpha. 0.0.2.0 alpha 1 - 13 June 2007

This has updated code to do properly what I could not seem to do before. (baby steps)

Those who have experienced sudden termination or crashing when attempting to use script preview F5 or the video editor F11, should see improvement. Fizick reports that it works fine (does not crash). :) :)

http://avsfilmcutter.com
http://avsfilmcutter.com/alpha.html

Thanks IanB, Leak, and of course Fizick

Ebobtron
25th June 2007, 15:56
:)
avsFilmCutter version 0.0.2.0 alpha 2 - 24 June 2007 is available for download at the website.

http://avsfilmcutter.com

Thanks to IanB's generous efforts a nasty little crash has been resolved and thanks to his patient tutelage I have applied what I have learned though out the program, which resolved some more.

This is also the first version of the program that is built using M$'s new free development package (VC++ 2005), minus that damn IDE of course.

Version 2.0 beta will be open source for those it matters to.

Now, I hope I can continue work on the worlds first avisynth based NLE GUI minus 1 or 2 maybe even 3, don’t remember anymore. :rolleyes:

Thanks all

Ebobtron
21st July 2007, 21:31
Hello,
There is another alpha to play with while I polish the support files. www.avsfilmcutter.com

Ebobtron
28th July 2007, 00:55
2.0 beta is at the web site www.avsfilmcutter.com, as are the source files.

Enjoy :)

Rob

yawoo
1st August 2007, 03:39
Just let you know that this is the best avs editor tool I have been used. Please keep working.

Ebobtron
6th August 2007, 21:29
@yawoo

Thanks
ebob

anton_foy
22nd August 2007, 18:55
Hi!

I have used avscutter just a short while and maybe the function is there but I cannot work it out.
Is it possible to use a specific .avs -script for every individual clip?

If not I personally think it would be a great feature to implement.

Great program BTW!

Ebobtron
22nd August 2007, 20:00
Hi!

I have used avscutter just a short while and maybe the function is there but I cannot work it out.
Is it possible to use a specific .avs -script for every individual clip?

If not I personally think it would be a great feature to implement.You are reading my mind
See: very early transitional documentation posted lastnight. (http://avsfilmcutter.com/fcwebguide2a.html)

It is the next logical step in development and although implemented; it is fraught with small mines. This interface should be so much easier to use. I can probably post an alpha in a couple if you what to play

Great program BTW!:) Thanks :)

anton_foy
22nd August 2007, 22:42
Whohoo!

I'd love to play with it. Since I use High Definition footage I downscale to make it easier to edit it and when finished I want to apply all the filters in the correct rez.

This ones gonna be my new favourite, it will make my work a thousand times easier!

Ebobtron
25th August 2007, 05:30
here is the alpha you can play with.

http://rapidshare.com/files/51649814/FilmCutter21a1.zip.html
get FilmCutter21a1.zip (http://www.avsfilmcutter.com/dev_link.html)

Latest alpha is here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1038309#post1038309
and here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1038537#post1038537

some details can be found @ http://avsfilmcutter.com/fcwebguide2a.html

oops sorry, :o new users will need the full 2.0 b package, here (http://avsfilmcutter.com/download.html)

things to look out for older project files will load without rejection but will create junk, the web page above has details about how to fix them. the mod marks (modification markers *) will only be reliable when editing with a single script. also filmcutter will not warn about saving the project if it is not saved. the status bar will show the source file being used and the project output script when viewing your work. f8 will display the output properties of the script in use or your project script if you have clicked view project.
most actions you initiate will cancel what your are doing and proceed, this can cause some trouble if you are in the middle of a row edit or row insert. clicking view project will not cancel the row edit or row insert, use the cancel button, view project will mess the frame numbers in you insert or edit. don't forget to save your work the direct show compression manager interface is not disabled, it is also far from finished, so much minutia.
the command line encoding interface is still available from the script editor menu or f7. is now in the main window menu too. the source for the encoding will be the file name shown on the status bar. click the view project button and press f7

no wizards or genies in there, if your scripts don't have the same properties, filmcutter will only warn you when you click view project.
a complete output script will only show in the editor as part of the total project when the project is saved. view project shows the whole thing but for some reason the last edit will not show up in the script editor unless the project has been saved.
can not delete or remove source files yet, do it manually in the editor with the *.jfc files

things you can do

open a source file and start editing, you no longer have to create or save a project be editing or viewing your work.
single source editing
multi-source editing
add additional sources at any time.
switch between scene and script editors at will, what ever you are viewing in one you view in the other, switch in either.

anton_foy
27th August 2007, 13:31
@Ebobtron

I have tried the new version a while but I cannot do a few things:

1. If I want to change the in and out numbers i cannot do this after i clicked "add".

2. How do I add a new script for each clip with the "a"- button? When I click it only the source .avs is there and I cannot choose another.

3. If i want to change the order of the edited clips in the video editor i can't move them.

4. In the AVSFilmCutter generated avs-script i cannot change anything, afterwards everything is like it was before I changed it.

One good thing to implement I think would be to be able to change the AVSFilmCutter generated scripts yourself if u want to. But I thought you could do that already?

Maybe I did not do these operations the right way so please tell me:)

I can feel it getting more and more powerful, I am really excited about it:thanks:

Ebobtron
27th August 2007, 16:58
@ anton_foyThanks for the feedback
@Ebobtron

I have tried the new version a while but I cannot do a few things:

1. If I want to change the in and out numbers i cannot do this after i clicked "add".
You have many options, when you click the cutter button, which has changed for the next version.
When the cutter is grayed, click the frame start or end windows. Which ever one you click will become active, the viewer and frame count window will jump to that box's numbers and the box will again follow the viewers frame counter or you can edit the numbers in the little box which is kind of messed up ( there is a neglected error in the focus management ). When done in one box click the other and then do it again if you wish. When satisfied click add. Add the scene to the list and then click on the row button to edit. Use the other mouse button while over a row button to delete the scene, insert above or below it or jump to that scenes source and the start or end frames. Preview button lights up with the add button, click it and adjust the end and start frame numbers. This is a little weak, the start and end buttons retain the original numbers. Clicking save moves the new numbers down into the scene start and end frame windows.
I have changed the cutter button's Icon style to a text button labeled to follow along the steps of frame number selection, "Set start frame", "Set end frame" and "add or cancel".

2. How do I add a new script for each clip with the "a"- button? When I click it only the source .avs is there and I cannot choose another.The safe way to add another source script is from the main window's menu,
Project | Add Source Script, currently if you try to use the File | Open Script File, FilmCutter changes the source script unless you have added a scene to the scene list. With a defined scene in the list use of File | Open Script File causes FilmCutter to crash ( a bug I missed in the alpha ). If you use the add Source Script it always works or seems to. I also intend to put a add button on the source list window with a delete source button.

3. If i want to change the order of the edited clips in the video editor i can't move them.
Sorry, I must have lost the move up and move down buttons :)

On the list
4. In the AVSFilmCutter generated avs-script i cannot change anything, afterwards everything is like it was before I changed it.When you ask to view the project, FilmCutter generates the script and then loads the video viewer or loads the script into the text editors window. If you leave the text editor view or go and view a source script FilmCutter will regenerate the script and load the new one when you wish to see it again.

From the text editor, right click the mouse button while the pointer is over the text window, or the one you don't normally click things with, and choose Save Script As
One good thing to implement I think would be to be able to change the AVSFilmCutter generated scripts yourself if u want to. But I thought you could do that already?

Maybe I did not do these operations the right way so please tell me:)If I have confused you with FilmCutter's interface, you are in very good company. I didn't try to be confusing, only different. The context menu thing is to me a god send, to others a cloak. Instead of asking you to search though menus looking for a function or feature I have hidden the programs operation. If you can see it, click it, if nothing happens right click it. Next version do it again.

Another thing I am working on is the little tool tips, they can change as the user progresses though the editing steps as a reminder.
I can feel it getting more and more powerful, I am really excited about it:thanks:Me too.

Thank you for that and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Thank you again :thanks:
Rob

Ebobtron
28th August 2007, 18:50
@ anton_foy el at
FilmCutter21a1082807.zip (http://www.avsfilmcutter.com/dev_link.html) dated: 27 August 2007
www.avsFilmCutter.com

this build of FilmCutter works a little better. the ability to jump from one function to another, even in mid edit, should cover most cases properly.

example: you start to edit a row(click on a row button) but then decide to view the project first, if you forget to click cancel, FilmCutter will just cancel for you; no fuss no data loss.the crash mentioned in the last post has been fixed.

when you are working with a project any way you open a script will add the script to the project, the exception being the single case when you may have switched to the media viewer, the use of "File | Open Media File or Script" from the video window's menu, will only load into the viewer, this allows for viewing source scripts and some media file types without trying to load an mpg file into the text editor.

prior verisons of FilmCutter required the user to save a project to get FilmCutter to generate scripts.
the user now has four ways to triger a project:
add a scene to the scene list
use Project | Add Source Script
use Project | Save Project As
open as save project

FilmCutter will eventually nag when you do something that would result in a lost of project data.

ebt

anton_foy
29th August 2007, 10:29
Wen I Add a new Source Script (containing only the filters I want to apply and no videosource call) the image gets a green too gray gradient all over and no picture.
If I add a videosource to the new script it works but that will just kill the whole idea of adding source scripts in the first place.:p

Sorry Ebobtron but the link for the new version is down.

Great work, keep me updated:thanks:

Ebobtron
29th August 2007, 10:48
I am sorry but you may have me at a disadvantage, that being I don't understand what you wish for.Wen I Add a new Source Script (containing only the filters I want to apply and no videosource call) the image gets a green too gray gradient all over and no picture.
What is a source script?

If I add a videosource to the new script it works but that will just kill the whole idea of adding source scripts in the first place.:p
A source script to me is one that contains a source.

Sorry Ebobtron but the link for the new version is down.
Great work, keep me updated:thanks:
here is a rapidshare link.
http://rapidshare.com/files/52002389/FilmCutter21a1082807.zip.html

anton_foy
29th August 2007, 12:50
Sorry, I wasn't thinking right this morn...

I had forgot to copy the video source line into every new script:

mpeg2source("C:\III.d2v")

Now it is working but I think it would be easier if I did not have to use a new script for every single clip.
But maybe this will be a hard thing to do.
I was thinking more like adding a script similar to adding a preset with filters but the preset is an .avs-script (containing only the filters and the way you would like to use them).

That way you could use the source-script(only containing the footage) and later add the filters for your purpose (e.g. denoise, saturation, sharpening or whatever) in different .avs scripts.

Confusing? It is hard to explain in writing for me, if you want
I can maybe show in a more visual approach.

Another idea I had was to put the filters directly in the AVSFilmCutters generated script like this:

Va = Import("C:\CUT.avs")

t01 = trim(Va,25,112)
Levels(0, .56, 255, 0, 255)
converttoyuy2(true)

t02 = trim(Va,424,695)
AddGrain(15,0)
converttoyuy2(true)

t03 = trim(Va,1049,1263)
Levels(0, .30, 255, 0, 255)
converttoyuy2(true)

t01++t02++t03

Ebobtron
1st September 2007, 04:02
@ anton_foy
:) For the continued feedback. :thanks:
I had composed this long answer that now seems preachy in my current state of mind. So I don't think boring you to death with my philosophy of script writing is an appropriate way to say thanks.

The bad news is that there are many ways to approach script writing.
The good news is that there are many ways to approach script writing.

Where to put filters depends on the filters and where the final result is going. Opinions on this will vary widely, depending of course on the filter. I think that most would agree that cutting and splicing at the very end of the script should cause the least amount of grief.
Looking at your example:Va = Import("C:\CUT.avs")

t01 = trim(Va,25,112).Levels(0, .56, 255, 0, 255).converttoyuy2(true)
t02 = trim(Va,424,695).AddGrain(15,0).converttoyuy2(true)
t03 = trim(Va,1049,1263).Levels(0, .30, 255, 0, 255).converttoyuy2(true)

t01++t02++t03
Will work just as well as:Va = Import("C:\CUT.avs").converttoyuy2(true)

t01 = trim(Va,25,112).Levels(0, .56, 255, 0, 255)
t02 = trim(Va,424,695).AddGrain(15,0)
t03 = trim(Va,1049,1263).Levels(0, .30, 255, 0, 255)

t01++t02++t03Only the frames called would be converted, so you gain nothing converting only the frames you output, but it does not hurt anything, I think.
If FilmCutter could be taught to treat every group of frames defined as a unique object that is then modified by the group of filters defined for that object.

That is a little ambitious for me and out of the current structure, though not completely impossible.

As far as filter presets, look at creating user functions that are stacks of your favorite filters for a given task. Or write your own script templates.

If some of your concern is the way some filters really can make real-time editing a painfully slow thing to endure. Those filters can be disabled manually with the # comment thingy or you can do the following:

Create and put in the AviSynth plug-in folder a *.avsi with the following line in it.

FCFilterEnable = False

Then use the following code in all of your source scripts.

FCFilterEnable = True
function filters(clip c)
{ c
# place your video processing filters starting on the next line
AddGrain(15,0)
Levels()

return (FCFilterEnable) ? last : c
}
FiltersWhen you begin your frame or scene editing with FilmCutter comment out "FCFilterEnable = True" the false definition in the avsi file will kill your filters, when done put "FCFilterEnable = True" at the top of the script FilmCutter writes for you and all the filters will be enabled in all of the source scripts for sending to an encoder.
This is easy to mess up but can work very well. As long as the method of implementation was locked down firm, FilmCutter could rewrite the avsi or add the necessary enabling line in the script.The options for automating filter placement and tweaking is better left to AvsP, that is why I put the buttons that launch external programs next to the editor.

So much for the non boring reply.

My reason for the multiple source interface is two fold, a multiple document editor is more useful that a single editor( notepad ++ is a good example and once I work out its relationship to the project implementation I will implement that as well. The other reason for the multiple source support is a multiple camera support idea I have where with the satellite video windows that are now kind of a waste can contain a separate source synchronized to some main source where FilmCutter does the keeping track of all the frame offsets, this is why the editor needs to be very freewheeling.

How some last minute hype. The next release of FilmCutter will have, besides dissolves and fades, "wipes"; thanks to a mask transition function, that stickboy wrote.

Now doesn't that just leave you wanting more. :)

If you wish to share your ideas in any way, I am up for a listen or look and learn.
Rob

anton_foy
13th September 2007, 14:26
Hi again Ebobtron and everyone!!

What if I want to encode as Quicktime using the QTOutput("C:\vid.mov") -command?

Since Im editing in HD I don't like to export as uncompressed avi and then re-export it as QT in Vdub.

Thanks

Ebobtron
13th September 2007, 22:10
@anton_foy,
hello back at you

What if I want to encode as Quicktime using the QTOutput("C:\vid.mov") -command?
? Ok, what is preventing this ?

If you are questioning if this works ? The answer is yes.

Add your QtOutput() statement to the bottom of the " *_fcprj.avs " file avsFilmCutter writes for you. Of course don't forget that QtOutput doesn't like YV12, FilmCutter will pass AviSynth's objections to you if you forget. Once you have added the QtOutput() statement press F6 to begin the encode.

There is a nigyysob however. Before FilmCutter loads a script into the viewer it opens an interface to AviSynth, which tests your script for errors and grabs a handful or two of script properties. When using a plug-in like QtSource, Tmonitor or SoundOut that have a dialog, GUI popup, interface, the interface window will open during the test before loading into the viewer. With Tmonitor or SoundOut they vanish as quickly as they show because their interfaces are available for use but require no immediate interaction with the user.

QtOut() on the other hand can require setup before it allows the process to continue. Therefore the first dialog window OtOut() will pop will be ignored because as soon as you click the OK button the script is closeed and then opened with the viewer which will pop the interface dialog window again.

If you are instead suggesting a suffix option for statements that could be added at the end of the projects output script? This is on the list although it has been way down, somewhere on the list. It would kind of become a menu item similar to a "Finalize and Save Script" kind of thing.

Since Im editing in HD I don't like to export as uncompressed avi and then re-export it as QT in Vdub.

Thanks
Again I am not sure about the question. Why export avi from FilmCutter, just load the scirpt into VDub. Those big buttons on the side of the script editor are there just for that purpose.

Thanks I hadn’t paid much attention to QuickTime plug-in by tateu http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=753774#post753774 wish it had sound options. Or did I miss something?

ebob

Ebobtron
27th October 2007, 14:30
Hello,
The results of my latest brain storm or brain fart (:o) is ready to share (maybe). An unofficial alpha version FilmCutter21a2_102707.zip (http://www.avsfilmcutter.com/dev_link.html)

If FilmCutter could be taught to treat every group of frames defined as a unique object that is then modified by the group of filters defined for that object.

That is a little ambitious for me and out of the current structure, though not completely impossible.

I quote myself to remind some of you about my remark as FilmCutter now does indeed maintain scene information as an array of class objects. The difference in implementation is subtle, but the power and flexibility is kind of wow. No provisions have yet been made to address the idea of a clip based filter stack as suggested by anton_foy, but now the option is possible.
Having all scene data as an array of objects makes the idea of a GUI time-line much easier to wrap my head around. This new interface, although functional, seems overly simple and maybe even crude. I remember telling Fizick that I would rather purchase him a copy of Premiere than write this kind of code. Maybe I should have left it at that, but I like to learn new things or at least experiment with new things. I did prove to myself that this kind of programming is frustrating if not difficult. I am not crying the old “poor me” thing, I have just gained a new respect for the people that write things like this. The frustration is the hours of work and the dorky looking result or if not dorky, at least unsatisfying result.

So let me wring out the crying towel and get back to announcing the new updated look for the web pages.
Oops, sorry, could not resist.

A new alpha is indeed available for download and I changed the web page look. I mentioned that I believe the time line interface is a little crude. Once worked out it will be no trouble to add a sound track interface to the timeline which is the end goal.

So I need your help, please, go ahead complain all you want. I’m suffering a brain freeze and could use some fresh ideas. Like what color should clips cells really be and how about a color when highlighted. I am sure someone out there knows how those clever little audio waveform graphics are done.

www.avsfilmcutter.com/alpha.html has some details and snaps.

:) thanks for looking in :)

Ebobtron
31st October 2007, 21:10
The latest alpha build and more info @
www.avsfilmcutter.com/alpha.html

Adub
31st October 2007, 22:30
Cool!
Keep up the work, I'll be looking forward to it.