PDA

View Full Version : How to encode and decode 3gp?

MGRip
14th July 2005, 07:55
Hello,

I found 3gp format very common for cell phones.

When I transfered the videos, I found out that only quicktime player can play them.
Sorenson Squeeze can't import it, and can't encode to 3gp.

Can you please suggest me a software that encodes 3gp and a software that can import 3gp and convert it to wmv.

Thank you in advence,
Mark.

Krismen
14th July 2005, 08:07
Can you please suggest me a software that encodes 3gp
Nokia Multimedia Converter (http://www.mip2.com/freespace/methos/nokia7650/da_pc)

MGRip
14th July 2005, 11:17
Thanks,
It works great!

does anybody know software that decode 3gp (import for reencoding)?

Leak
14th July 2005, 13:09
Thanks,
It works great!

does anybody know software that decode 3gp (import for reencoding)?

ffdshow should be able to do that; AFAIK 3gp is just another name for h263. If you're working with .3gp files you'll probably need a splitter for it, though.

Ghim
14th July 2005, 13:19
3gp and h.263 are completely different (even if they're somehow linked). 3gp is a container based on the official Mpeg-4 container. Usually, a simple MP4 splitter (like Haali's) will work well to split 3gp files (you will probably just need to rename your file to .mp4).

Most of the 3gp files are encoded using the H.263-1998 codec. If you have ffdshow installed and if H.263 decoding is enabled, it should work perfectly well.

Edit: Since 3gp is a container and not a codec, I think this thread should be moved to the "New and alternative a/v containers" forum.

DeathTheSheep
16th July 2005, 21:50
Then, is there any program that can demux streams in this container? If it's so similar to MP4, it shouldn't be all that hard (I thought to use MP4UI), but the programs I use don't recognize AACPlus v2 streams and the resulting stream is extracted in binary and is useless.

So is there any way to get the AACPlus stream out of this 3gp container without having to recompress it?

Ghim
17th July 2005, 08:55
I already extracted raw streams from 3gp files using MP4Box 0.3.0 with YAMB 1.3 alpha1 v2. You can give it a try !

bond
17th July 2005, 12:25
3gp files can carry h.263, h.264 and mpeg-4 asp video and amr or aac audio

mp4box and also mp4creator should handle them (quicktime too)

ahgc
21st July 2005, 14:02
Using this topic.. Is there any way that nerovision can export in mobile phone compatible mp4 format (tried all settings in nerodigital format to no avail)
Thx in advance. Rgds

Elias
28th July 2005, 17:40
My phone handles both 3gp and mp4. Usually, if your phone can handle 3gp, it can handle mp4 as well, because they're so similar.

qwprince
5th October 2005, 23:52
Sony Vegas 6 can decode 3GP & MP4 files easily (including the AMR audio stream) ... atleast the 3GP & Mp4 files from a Sony Ericsson K750i works fine ..

DickSpeed
21st October 2005, 02:10
ImTOO's 3GP Converter is a very good tool too, encodes and decodes most popular video formats, but it's trialware, only lets you encode a limited length of time in the trial version. Lets you encode 3GP too, but I want to do it in VirtualDub... on with my search...

unskinnyboy
21st October 2005, 03:16
VLC Media Player will play .3gp just fine tooo.

Koepi
21st October 2005, 07:36
Encoding to h263-avi works just fine with virtualdub and ffdshow, i've done that with no problems ;-)

Now I only need something to encode to ultra low bitrate aac. Muxing can be done with any mp4-muxer, if mp4 doesn't work on your mobile just rename it to 3gp and it'll work (sic).

I want to give belight a try together with the ffac-encoder from Robertos rarewares-site dated 17th may 2005. Hopefully it'll produce good quality. I'll report back when i got it to work.

Cheers
Koepi

bond
21st October 2005, 13:31
Now I only need something to encode to ultra low bitrate aac. Muxing can be done with any mp4-muxer, if mp4 doesn't work on your mobile just rename it to 3gp and it'll work (sic).well it will not necessarily work as 3gp and mp4 are (slightly) different

still no need for renaming, because mp4box can create correct .3gp files right away anyways

Elias
21st October 2005, 13:56
Now I only need something to encode to ultra low bitrate aac.QuickTime Pro can do that.