PDA

View Full Version : avi+sub

thastarter
2nd July 2005, 09:42
i have a movie file (avi.) and a file with subtitles in graphical format (sub.), it's not a text file. The subtitles are only displayed when i use direct vob sub, or such filter. How do i mix the avi file and the subs, so i get only one file with embedded subtitles?

ai4spam
2nd July 2005, 11:04
This question is asked again and again and again... just look a few rows below:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96354

thastarter
3rd July 2005, 19:22
i tried the way with virtual dub but it didn't work. i should also mention that
i have 2 files with the avi. one is the larger file (graphical) .sub, and other is vobsub index file .idx with timestamps. solution?

PALace
4th July 2005, 17:24
What's the problem with having selectable subs anyway? Maybe you will at some stage have foreign friends and can lend it to them so they can watch it in their own language without the irritation of english subs. Surely that's legal!! If not get a licence so you can lend it to them.

Having done the hard subbed method, I can point out that another advantage is that if their is an error in yr hard-subbing, say you forgot to put in the delay or something, that you can correct this if there is an external sub. Otherwise you've to do the whole thing again.

And it'll save you having to recompres yr avi and losing quality or having to do it all over again.

Whaddayasay???

thastarter
5th July 2005, 09:11
ok i thought about it. and a want to convert them to text format into a separate file. i simply don't want to install vob sub to view them. so how should i convert them to text???

PALace
5th July 2005, 16:20
You can use subrip, just open the idx file as an ifo (or is it the sub...never mind try .idx first then sub) The problem is you have to teach it to read the characters, though you can save this for later usage. You can use vobsubs subresynch too, just open the .idx file and save it as a .srt file. Either way has its particular advantages and disadvantages. Big benefit with text file: its tiny. Another one: you can edit the subtitle, or correct a spelling mistake. With subrip, look out for the Il error,this can be corrected with the text editor below the character recognition software. Sometimes it leaves a couple but these can be corrected as you can open the file in software that has a spellchecker.
Trouble? A bit. But great fun too.
Subrip is here
http://zuggy.wz.cz/
Search forum for advice

Enjoy