PDA

View Full Version : AVIMUX bug with large files

Bruce Willis
13th June 2005, 10:01
Avimux gives a corrupt file when muxing a large ac3 and xvid ( > 2 GB). I encountered it several times, but I always thought it was a xvid encoding problem.

The muxed avi does play normally initially. But then at some point (different location for each file), it stops, or it returns to the beginning of the file. When skipping over that point with the seekbar, the avi plays well.

It is probably some index error. The file doesn't open in VDub(Mod), nandub etc. Gspot is giving wrong info about the file.

I know now it is Avimux, because this time I still have the video-only file, which plays flawlessly. Muxing it with VDmod produces a correct avi.

The problem I have now is that I have a corrupt muxed avi, but without the video-only. Strange thing is that it can be opened by video players, but not correctly by any videotool (VD(mod), nandub, avipreview, or even avimux itself). Even after rekeying with VDM, it thinks the avi is a few hundreds frames in size.

Does anyone have an idea to demux it? TIA

buzzqw
13th June 2005, 12:34
simply and stupid questions

fat32 or ntfs ?
avi type 01 or opendml ?

BHH

yaz
13th June 2005, 13:32
some further (stupid:) ) questions :
- do u mean avimuxgui ?
- if so, what version do u use ? use always the latest (1.17b worx fine for me)

- can u open the file in amg ? if so, can u demux the tracks ? (amg can demux too !)
- did amg report any error on muxing ? if not, the problem is on the playback side.

afaik, neither gspot nor vdub (and any of its clone) can handle odml properly. stay w/amg !

the bests
y

marcellus
13th June 2005, 14:40
I can confirm that avimux gui latest beta gave me unplayable (unrecognized) files on standalone. First I thought it was a media problem (so I burned another disc with no results) or a xvid beta issue but I found out later that the file (in spite being played corectly by Media Player Classic) is unrecognizable as an avi file by AVI-Mux GUI itself (and graphedit also wasn't able to be of any help in demuxing). Basically the movie was trapped into a corupt and therefore impossible to demux file. Fortunately I didn't erased unmuxed streams before putting the disc in player for testing.

So I went back to version 1.16.11 and everything went fine.

And BTW, I'm not speaking about large files, it was a 1 CD movie with VBR mp3 soundtrack.
EDIT: I forgot to say that I didn't use opendml.

Bruce Willis
13th June 2005, 15:33
simply and stupid questions

1. fat32 or ntfs ?
2. avi type 01 or opendml ?

BHH
1. the one that can handle files > 4 GB. The avi is 4.37 GB.
2. open dml > standard indices: auto
create legacy index: riff-avi 1 MB (don't know what it means)
audio interleave: 100 kB
preload: 200 ms
mp3 cbr frame mode

- do u mean avimuxgui ?
- if so, what version do u use ? use always the latest (1.17b worx fine for me)

a.m. gui versions 1.16.4 and also 1.17 (exe dated 25/5/05)

- can u open the file in amg ? if so, can u demux the tracks ? (amg can demux too !)
- did amg report any error on muxing ? if not, the problem is on the playback side.

-no, avimux gui itself cannot open it; it hangs for a couple of minutes, then shuts down. Strange thing is that it can be opened by BSplayer, VLC and Zooomplayer (only a part is unreachable). MPC gives a 'visual c++ error'.
- it didn't report any errors on muxing

buzzqw
13th June 2005, 17:32
since the avi seems corrupted try divfix and cut out bad parts

BHH

Bruce Willis
13th June 2005, 17:40
divfix doesn't work correctly, it thinks the avi is 300 frames in size

avipreview can't find the index or something like that :(

yaz
14th June 2005, 08:51
i cannot help. i tried to remux some of my latest encodes w/amg1.17, some below and some above 2gig, wout any problem. all played fine and (re)opened in amg perfectly.

i still guess some system error. amg muxes the file wout/any error but can't open afterward ... :confused:

some possible problems :
- your not on winxp (w9x and its clones are not supported anymore)
- 'sequential' usage of amg may cause crashing a/o shitting. the safest way is closing and opening for each muxing. opening the file right after muxing in the same window is forbidden. (it's a mistique alex hasn't been able to solve)
- video and audio do not match. amg (and any other muxer) can't mux streams having different length perfectly.

for further know issues, pls, refer to amg homepage.

the bests
y

Bruce Willis
15th June 2005, 10:44
thanks for your replies. I guess it's the 'sequential' bug.