PDA

View Full Version : hardcoded Subtitle question

comablast
9th June 2005, 18:14
Hey there!
Here's my situation.
I have a lot of AVI backups with seperate subs. I have tried to figure out how to mux and adjust subs to DVD mpeg format with little success. Its pretty complicated and I have to do a bunch of them.

I am visually impaired and need to make the subs larger than normal, and have to make any DVD I want to view with large subtitles.

I think I have figured out how to adjust the subs, but I can't mux them right.
I figured an easier soultion, for me, might be to recompress to MPEG with HArdcoded subs, so I can avoid the whole mux thing.
I have searched this forum, and all over, for many hours for solutions to this, and all hits seem to be How to remove hardcoded subs, not how to add.

Any help on hardcoding subs or any other soultions to simplify this for me would be great. Sitting in front of my comp for 2 hours everytime I want to view a subbed film is a drag, and makes me want to totally give up. I hope I explained my situation clearly.

Please help!
Thanks alot, and I love this site. It is indespensable.

ukendt
11th June 2005, 01:25
Converting subs to hardcoded and in the same time converting avi to mpg2 is for avisynth. I suggest U make your search in the avisynth forum.
Although avisynth may give the best results, VirtualDub may "forward" ur mpg and subs to an encoder prog for end result.
Avisynth works with scripts. Maybe You could also try dvd2svcd . This proggy may be easier to use for a beginner than trying to find the right script for avisynth.

comablast
11th June 2005, 17:49
Thanks alot. I'm trying to give dvd2svcd a try. I still don't see how to add the subs in. Maybe.. I can figure it out. I hope.
scripts, etc. Tough for me. The learning curve is so huge on everything.
It would be great if someone would come up with a simple app or solution for subs. I cant be the only one with these problems.
Anyway,
Thanks alot and more ideas would be helpful too.

davidsc
11th December 2005, 23:38
You need to use vdub to add the sub to your avi. You will need to download a subtitle filter, http://www.virtualdub.org/virtualdub_filters, then place the .vdf file in vdub plugins, open vdub go to filters and load subtitler, read the read me file that comes with the filter file. This filter can only handle SSA subscript, the best program to convert to SSA is 'Set to SSA converter' freeware, other programs say they have done this conversion but vdub doesn't like the resultant file. I use subtitle workshop to adjust the framerate and timing of the subtitle file to avi file then save as srt not ssa as vbud seems to only like the file produced from "srt to ssa converter'. By the way you have to have vdub video in full processing mode to apply the filter so you will need to recompress at the same time.

davidsc
11th December 2005, 23:45
Correction at one place I named the converter program as "set to ssa converter' this should be 'SSR to SSA converter' here's a url http://www.divx-digest.com/software/srt2ssa.html

comablast
15th December 2005, 22:25
Thanks alot. I'll give that a try.