PDA

View Full Version : Disc question - DVD +R/W won't erase (totally)

whftherb
1st June 2005, 05:40
Have a DVD RW drive made by Toshiba. Am using Verbatim DVD +R/W media. Am using an Athlon 2800+ (about 3 weeks old) with Nero 6.6.0. I use this faster machine to do all my recording. Have a few discs I'd like to "recycle" meaning I want to erase (I've made a few mistakes learning how to do recording) and start over. However, when Nero goes to erase the disc, it begins and in about 5 seconds it comes up with "Unspecified Target Error". OK, looks like a compatibility issue based on some Google research. I take the same discs and try to erase them on my slower P-III machine which sports a NEC DVD-RW 2500A drive. Nero goes to work, formats it, doesn't error out on this machine but when I go to record over the "blank" disc, it will not play on my Samsung DVD player - says "Disc cannot be read - check your system". When using fresh "off the spindle" discs, no problem.

I think there's some piece of information in the overall DVD burning process I'm not getting. How stable is the DVD erasure process? Always reliable? Sometimes reliable? A crap shoot? I always thought Nero was among the best software to use so I don't suspect it's the culprit. What's this group's experience?

Thanks folks!

fccHandler
1st June 2005, 17:57
It's my understanding that DVD+RW doesn't need to be erased before being rewritten, and I've never actually tried to erase one myself. Nero is able to overwrite the contents of the disc without needing to erase it first. It will pop up a warning that the disc is not empty, but in my experience the burn goes perfectly OK and it takes no more time than burning to an empty disc.

whftherb
2nd June 2005, 00:02
OK, thanks - that's perhaps the one thing I didn't try!! I may have tried to overcomplicate this - often the simple answer is the best. I'll try to post back results so that others might benefit from any findings....

Have a good day!

:D

fccHandler
2nd June 2005, 08:32
Well it's certainly not intuitive, especially if you're accustomed to having to erase CD-RW discs. (Been there, done that.) But DVD+RW is a whole different ball game. :D

whftherb
4th June 2005, 04:31
OK, I've experimented some more and I still don't know the answer. These discs are Verbatim products, out of a freshly bought (2 weeks ago) spindle. I did record on them once and made some mistakes in recording a video. At that time, I foolishly thought I could just raw copy a DVD structure. I did so without reading about such things as authoring and encoding and so forth. So I know a little more than before and I'm fine with those steps I learned. But, I'd rather not throw the discs out - in fact now, I'm more than determined to satisfy my curiousity about this technology. Hope you folks don't mind...

So, anyway, I retried Nero-ing using the Athlon on all three DVD+R/Ws. Kept saying "Burn succesful" but no play. Tried to erase (took my time and watched carefully what I did) - Came back with "Unspecified Target Error". So I can't erase 'em, I can't re-record on them using my newest computer. Let's try the old one. Got some different results but no success. I used Nero on my old computer and here's a sample of one of the log file for these 3 discs...:

6:08:26 AM #42 SCSI -1033 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1151
SCSI Exec, HA 1, TA 0, LUN 0
HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
Sense Key: 0x02 (KEY_NOT_READY)
Sense Code: 0x04
Sense Qual: 0x01
CDB Data: 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0A
0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x04 0x01

6:08:29 AM #43 SCSI -1033 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1151
SCSI Exec, HA 1, TA 0, LUN 0
HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
Sense Key: 0x02 (KEY_NOT_READY)
Sense Code: 0x04
Sense Qual: 0x01
CDB Data: 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0A
0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x04 0x01

6:08:35 AM #44 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 229
Write in overburning mode: FALSE

6:08:40 AM #45 VERIFYERR 10 File UDFCompilationImpl.cpp, Line 1244
Cannot mount the written CD
"_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A " (H:1, T:0)

6:08:40 AM #46 VERIFYERR 13 File UDFCompilationImpl.cpp, Line 1298
Status summary
Total files=0, identical=0, different=0, inaccessible=0, skipped=0.

6:08:40 AM #47 Phase 81 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1818
Data verification failed

Much of this "binary" or "hex" material I don't understand. Someone in the DVD field can probably make better sense of it that I can. It would appear to my less than expert eye that data verificaiton is failing but also further up in the log burn processing is succeeding. Note that I also see quite a few references in each run to a "SCSI" device, not what my ATAPI drives work on. So, I'm thinking something wrong in the firmware on the drive but why would both drives in 2 seperate systems be bad? (I chose not to bore people with the logs from the other system) And, both drives record DVD materials just fine -- from virgin discs however. Do these log files give anyone a clue as to what is going on here? Could it just be that some discs are destined to be written to once and once only? I mean we're not talking a lot of money here, but it's the science of the thing that intrigues me.

Comments or suggestions anyone???

whftherb
8th June 2005, 00:10
OK, I researched a bit more. Found that Toshiba has published a "firmware" upgrade. I downloaded it and ran the install. Seemed to go through fine and after a quick reboot I noticed no difference.... I still can't erase a DVD +RW that has been written to without encountering "Unspecified target error". And I still can't just simply record over the media. I am under the impression Verbatim media is rated OK from other posts that I've scanned through here and elsewhere.

Now it's interesting I think to note, that after the erasure attempts fail, I can actually view the "mistakes" on these bummed out DVDs with WinDVD - most of us know as a popular software DVD player for your computer! No play on my standalone however. So, IOW, it doesn't appear that the disks are even being touched by the laser! Now, again it isn't the drive because I can take a virgin DVD and write successfully to it - I just can't erase nor re-record over a previously written DVD. Another observation: When in Windows Explorer, the DVD drive is shown as "DVD-RW" after the standard CD/DVD icon. As soon as it reads in the offending DVDs, the name changes to: "CD ROM". Take that out and it reverts to "DVD-RW".

Does this help anyone get an idea what might be going on here???

fccHandler
9th June 2005, 08:42
I'm sorry I can't help you with this. I also use Verbatim discs exclusively, and Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.8, and an old Sony 2.4x burner. But I've never had the kind of problems you're experiencing.

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. What is your OS?

whftherb
11th June 2005, 16:16
Appreciate the guidance. I hope some of the other experts might be following this thread and can lend a hand, please. I've experimented some more with Nero 6.6.0.13. I believe I've narrowed things down a bit.

I was able to totally erase the mistaken DVD +RWs by using Alchohol 120%. Erasure goes through that software without a hitch. When I explore the DVDs after Alchohol erasure they truly look "blank" unlike with Nero where after erasing, I can still see that the files (.IFO, .BPO, VTSs) are present and that they still will play in WinDVD. Now, I took two of those Alchohol erased DVD's and tried to re-burn the same movie. Just to be clear I am selecting the "DVD Video" icon/setup in Nero's New Compilation window. I am dragging the necessary file/structure and dropping it on top of the "VTS" folder in that left hand panel. Nero records normally. It reports total success without any error however they will not play in my standalone but they will however play in WinDVD. I took the same two re-burned DVDs to my friend's house and tried them on his standalone player. They will not play there either. Then I wondered if CD burning is affected - maybe the burner hardware has a problem. I took a blank virgin Verbatim CD/RW, copied a large software suite to the blank CD/RW with Nero, explored it, copied it back, it came out fine. I erased it with Nero, verified that it was erased as far as I could tell and re-copied the same large software suite using Nero. Again, it came out fine with Windows Explorer. I took that CD/RW to my friends house and it mounts and copies fine over there on his computer.

So, what have I learned? I suspect that the hardware is working fine on its level. I suspect that Win XP SP2 and my codecs probably are OK as I am able to play the DVD on the computer using a software player. I do suspect that Nero is the culprit - the thing I don't know is am I giving it the wrong commands or is my setup somehow defunct.

What are others opinions on this? What further tests should I run? I may have forgotten to say that after the three mistakes, I retried a burn with a fresh virgin DVD and got the same result - the standalone player reports that the disc is not playable. Just to reiterate, I was successfully burning movies from AVIs on this same spindle of media up to about 2 weeks ago. I did not notice anything peculiar at that time - to me it just stopped working correctly.

Hope someone can contribute something to this issue. Again, I appreciate the time and hard work done by the experts in this group...

whftherb
16th June 2005, 22:50
Hope I can get with someone on this forum to help me straighten this out. This is a Toshiba "Combination" drive - the "CD DVDW SD R5372.
I have made this observation now: Whenever the drive is empty Windows XP SP2 labels the drive in Explorer as: "DVD-RW Drive D:" When I insert a virgin DVD +R/W disc or one of my so-called "erased" DVD +R/W discs, Explorer changes the label to: "CD Drive D:" And when the disc ejects, the Drive is relabeled "DVD-RW Drive D:" So even though it has DVD media inserted, Windows is calling the drive a CD drive and reverting when the media is ejected. I am wondering now if this is a sign that the hardware has now somehow failed or if I need to re-install the drive, or if this is truly the expected behavior. I have also noted the same behavior on my older P-III, XP SP2 computer sitting next to me.

Could someone please tell me if this "labeling" is normal? Really would like to resolve this. Thanks folks!

fccHandler
17th June 2005, 19:50
That's probably nothing to worry about. Explorer identifies both of my DVD drives as "CD drives" all of the time, but in my case I think it's because I turned off the "Shell Hardware Detection" service in services.msc. In your case it probably flip-flops because it can't recognize the disc type. I wouldn't assume it's indicative of anything except Explorer being goofy.

This may be a stupid question, but do you have updated ASPI drivers for XP? To find out, check the version info of Windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll and Windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys. They should both say 4.71.2.0. If not, you can get the drivers from Adaptec (http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe&sess=no).

whftherb
18th June 2005, 16:35
Thank You, fccH for donating your expertise here.

OK, on the "relabeling". I understand it now. It's Windows... I just wasn't sure 'cause I hadn't noticed this behavior before.

Let's move on to the ASPI layer issue. You were right, the ASPI layer that was on here was old - 4.1.! So after downloading and unzipping, fiddling with the .bat file (brought out my DOS manual...) I now see the ASPI layer is marked as 4.71.2 for ASPI.sys, WOWpost.exe and WINASPI.dll are at 4.6 (1021), and WINASPI32.dll is at 4.71.2. I first installed the XP64 set but it wasn't 4.71.2 so I went and installed the XP32 bit set. Now it looks right. It's the same as your recommendation of 4.71.2.0.

So, after setting the current ASPI layer, I un-installed Nero, and resinstalled it from zero so that it recognizes everything. Selected DVD-Video, went through the various screens/tabs checking and rechecking. Burned the required VTS/VOBs, just like I've done 2 dozen times successfully as before. Nero goes all the way through, no errors. Data verified. Still no play on my standalone! Then I tried Nero Express just to see. Same thing - all the way through but no play. Again in both cases, I can "see" the files have been written - they're there in Explorer. I can play the movie in WinDVD6 on the computer. Nero just isn't writing a needed directory (?) or root file (?) to let the standalone (almost new Samsung - DVD/VDR Combo Player) know what it's playing. I can play a commercial DVD and I can play the 2 dozen or so DVDs previous recorded. Something's happened in the last 2 weeks to knock me out of commission. So, I'm not thinking hardware problem on the player. I've also tried recording 3 other movies I have with the same results. I have a second XP machine with Nero 6.0.0, and it records and plays fine. So, I'm not thinking the VTS/VOB files are "bad". The DVD writer has the latest firmware from Toshiba that I put on about 3 nights ago. So, that's up-to-date.

Now, with the re-install, I can now erase with Nero whereas before, I could not. So, that might have more to do with the ASPI layer being old enough that it didn't match up with the more current Nero (a guess again).

I wish I had more of a clue as to what to do next. Maybe there's some setting in Nero I'm not hitting. I could supply some screenshots if that would help. Any other suggestions? And, thanks again for your help.l