PDA

View Full Version : Inexplicable volume decrease in captures

mg262
31st May 2005, 17:19
After reinstalling my OS and drivers, I've found that the volume of my captures has reduced dramatically -- I used to capture at around -5 to -10 dB, whereas now I need about +5 to 10 dB to achieve a comparable volume. I'm using a Panasonic NVSV121 SVHS VCR (which doesn't seem to have any internal volume settings), with the audio going to the line in of a SB Audigy 2 set to record 'Analog Mix'.

I have a MSI tv@nywhere master card, but the problem happens even if I don't connect the video. Pentium 4, Mboard is ASUS P4C800-E deluxe. I've tried different recording applications. The SB driver is 'Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)', 18/11/2003, v 5.12.1.442 (should be the same as before I reinstalled). I can't think of anything relevant that I've changed, except that I used to have the motherboard audio (SoundMax) loaded, but didn't use it; now I haven't loaded it at all.

The change in volume seems to have been accompanied by a decrease in quality (esp. Becoming more tinny), so I am very keen to identify the cause. Could it be the SoundMax? Or is it possible that I've somehow damaged the VCR? (Checking against other sources is rather difficult...) I would be very grateful for any help!