PDA

View Full Version : QuEnc Encoding Time

Danman589019
15th May 2005, 21:59
Hey, I have a question about how long it takes QuEnc to enocde at different settings. Let's say a movie takes 1:00 hour to encode (for simplicity) with high quality, 1 pass encoding, and no trellis quant. If I turned 2 pass encoding on and left the other settings the same. It would now take double the time right? So 2:00 hours. Then If I turned trellis quant on top of those two settings how much longer would it take? Double, Triple the time? And how much would that 1:00 hour encode take if trellis quant was on and 2 pass encoding was off. Thanks for any help.

Nic
15th May 2005, 22:14
All depends on your machine. Why not encode a 1 minute clip using those different settings...then multiply it by 60 ;)

Trellis adds a lot of time on, for not much gain.

-Nic

Danman589019
15th May 2005, 22:24
im running

AXP 2400+ @ 2.34GHz
Abit NF7-S 2.0
1024MB PC3200 OCZ EL Platinum ram
9800pro 128MB
7200rpm 8mb buffer drives
Windows XP Pro SP2

I'm encoding from ISO images mounted with Daemon Tools. I've always used Trellis but I guess I'll stop now. BTW I just encountered a problem. Im watching a DVD I backed up and I keep noticing medium sized green boxes popping up in various scenes in various places. There are also vertical lines moving across the screen...might just be the TV though.

urvieh
16th May 2005, 00:24
Originally posted by Nic
[B]Trellis adds a lot of time on, for not much gain.

Nic,

I'm a newbie with this, so what is Trellis quantization and when is it useful a/o of critical importance?
TIA.

dragongodz
16th May 2005, 00:46
what is Trellis quantization
:search:

Mug Funky
16th May 2005, 01:54
@ Danman589019: is this on a standalone? if so, what brand (sony has difficulties with anything non-sony, and ps2's are notorious for incompatibility)

green blocks could be anything really, but if they don't come up exactly the same every time, it'll be a hardware/media problem. most commonly because the hardware doesn't like the media used (ie DVD-R vs DVD+R and vice versa, or just really cheap crappy media).

glitches like that on the encode side would be most likely caused by a wacky custom matrix, but this almost always only occurs in luma, not chroma (ie green block). either that or it's in the source.

Danman589019
16th May 2005, 03:48
Yes it's a standalone, a POS Symphonic. The media is Fujifilm DVD-R 8x. The source should be ok...it's a retail "The Village". BTW the green boxes are all along the bottom area of the movie during the faster scenes. I think I know what causes this though..I burned this 8x media at 16x :p . Lemme reburn at 8x and see whats happens.

edit: oh i forgot..i already deleted the files from hard drive. Needed the room for another one. Well that just finished anyway so I'll burn that at 8x and see what happens. BTW I have seen this in movies I burned awhile ago at 16x.

Danman589019
16th May 2005, 04:11
just saw another green box with "Spanglish" encoded just like "The Village". Spanglish was burned at 8x though. I'm going to try a different DVD player and my computer and see if they still come up. After that I I'll try different media since Im out of this Fujifilm stuff. Then If it's still happening I think I'll try flashing my Pioneer DVR-108 back to stock firmware. After all that I guess encoder problems are the only thing that could be doing it.

edit: I just played it on my computer using windvd 6 and went to one of the parts I saw a ton of green blocks using my standalone. I didn't see any on computer. I'll try another standalone tomorrow. I'm actually happy its my player. Better than trying to fix encoder problems or reburn a bunch of DVDs. This player is crap anyway.

dragongodz
16th May 2005, 04:23
its been said many many and many times on this forum. if you have playback issues first try

1. view the movie from the HD first to check for playback problems in the footage.
2. make sure the media is good. as in good and reliable brand. maybe even try a different brand.
3. burn at no faster than x2. some dvd players and some media do not like it faster for movies.

Nic
16th May 2005, 09:15
@Danman: Recently I've noticed the occasional green blotch on one particular hardware decoder that I don't get on anything else. However, the same hardware player doesn't playback badly the same thing encoded with a different encoder. Very strange. I'm currently looking into this.

-Nic

ljpp
16th May 2005, 10:29
@dgz
3. burn at no faster than x2. some dvd players and some media do not like it faster for movies.
Burning at very slow speed may improve the recording quality, but always not. Burning at very slow speed may also decrease the recording quality due to pit smearing.

Using a good DVD recorder and decent media recording speeds at least up to 8x can be considered rather safe.

Mug Funky
16th May 2005, 11:44
@ Danman589019:

i have the 108 as well, with 1.19 FW. i find the fastest safe speed is 6x - as zones are activated above this level, and there have been problems with high error rates on the faster zones. also, if your player doesn't like -R, try +R as the 108 does both types quite well. another advantage of +R is you can bit-set it to DVD-ROM and fool any standalone player. this hack is actually the maximum compatibility you can manage without glass masters. unfortunately you have to flash the 108 with the Piodata firmware to do this (and void your warranty).

@ nic:

hope you track it down. i haven't seen any artefacts, but will look out for them now. any idea under what conditions this happens?

dragongodz
16th May 2005, 13:13
Using a good DVD recorder and decent media recording speeds at least up to 8x can be considered rather safe.
this has been shown to not always be the case. its mostly the players that dont seem to like it and it has been discussed in different threads in the "ome click dvd backup solutions" section.

as i also said the steps i listed are for if a person has problems. if they dont then they were not listed for that person.

ljpp
16th May 2005, 13:35
As I said, rather safe. Of course there are extreme conditions, like using low quality players that demand extreme measures for succesful playback. I guess this is not the place to discuss DVD recording any further. Currently my top pick for most compatible media prolly is Verbatim(Azo) - it's definitely a good start for troubleshooting.

dragongodz
17th May 2005, 05:05
As I said, rather safe.
and as i said
the steps i listed are for if a person has problems.
since he did i listed steps to help him track down where the problem is and a possible solution. one of which includes burning at a slower speed,i have no idea why you have a problem with that. simply ignoring it and saying that should be needed to be done does not make it magically go away.

Of course there are extreme conditions, like using low quality players that demand extreme measures for succesful playback.
burning at a slower speed is not an extreme measure at all.

and for anyone who may think all this hasnt been discussed before
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93241
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73766

those are just 2 examples.

these are my final words on the subject in this post. if a person has problems its already here for them to read. if they choose to try the steps listed to try and help them or not is their concern.