PDA

View Full Version : Premiere Pro audio panning?

theReal
2nd April 2005, 19:23
I have some older DV material that came from a mono VHS-C camcorder which was dubbed to DV on the left channel only. I thought it'd be easy to pan the left channel to both stereo channels - every sound mixer can do it, also Final Cut Pro can do it (it offers three audio options for each channel: left, right, or middle).

Now I realized that the pot in Premiere Pro that I thought was a pan pot does only mute left or right channel, not pan source channels to different output channels. Also I can't find an option or filter that can do it.
I found a way to split the source material in video, channel 1 and channel 2 - regardless that this source material splitting is rather impractictal, it's really useless when everything's edited and you can't just replace the audio...

Can somebody please tell me that there is an option to pan one channel to both output channels in Premiere Pro and I am just unable to find it? Because if there isn't such an option, they'd really have to re-name the program into "Premiere Kindergarten", not "Pro" :rolleyes: ;)

communist
2nd April 2005, 20:53
Look for an Audio Filter / Effect called something like Fill Left / Fill Right. That should copy your sound to the other channel.

Havent done anything special with the audio mixer in PPro but this would have to be applied to each file / audio stream in your timeline (unless you nest your final sequence into another one and apply it there).

theReal
3rd April 2005, 10:00
Thanks!

I thought I had tried this "fill left" filter (should be "fill right with left" really...) and it didn't do anything. Must have done something wrong yesterday because today it works fine :)

But, by the way: this fill left now does the job for me, but there is apparently no way I can route channels to left or right (only left or right, not fill both channels)
At work it is crucial to us that we can easily seperate channels into ambient on ch.1 and speaker on ch.2. Also if you want to make an IT/ST mix (dunno what's that in English, it means one channel is the "international version" with just ambient sounds and interview partners, the other channel is a mixdown of the first channel plus the speaker).
This is more than easily done with Final Cut Pro, every channel can be treated seperately and hundreds of clips can be simultaneously routed to a certain output channel.

This is the first thing I found in Premiere that really makes it less pro than Final Cut!!