PDA

View Full Version : Gforce FX5200 video card

scotty47
15th March 2005, 08:02
I have a HP Pavilion a640 with a " Gforce FX5200 video card" installed, in the book that came with it It says I can capture VHS tapes to DVD using the software " Intervideo WinDVD Creator" when I open the software it does not see the Device ( VHS ) I tried Virtual VCR which tells me " sorry you have no video Capture Hardware "
I contacted HP but because I am past my 30 days they will not even look at me unless I pay extra support charges, I went to Gforce FX website, to find that I have to contact the OEM for support, then I emailed the Intervideo support they said the same thing, guess I am between a rock and a hard place, can anyone help me here, how do i check that this card is working " as the book says I can copy VHS " what software would all recommend and a tutorial on how to do the Capture. Any help is really appreciated..............scotty

kassandro
16th March 2005, 08:42
Originally posted by scotty47
I have a HP Pavilion a640 with a " Gforce FX5200 video card" installed, in the book that came with it It says I can capture VHS tapes to DVD using the software " Intervideo WinDVD Creator" when I open the software it does not see the Device ( VHS ) I tried Virtual VCR which tells me " sorry you have no video Capture Hardware "
I contacted HP but because I am past my 30 days they will not even look at me unless I pay extra support charges, I went to Gforce FX website, to find that I have to contact the OEM for support, then I emailed the Intervideo support they said the same thing, guess I am between a rock and a hard place, can anyone help me here, how do i check that this card is working " as the book says I can copy VHS " what software would all recommend and a tutorial on how to do the Capture. Any help is really appreciated..............scotty
If it is really a VIVO card, it should have the word VIVO should be somewhere in the name of the graphics card. Now assume that you really have a VIVO card, then you may have installed only the driver for the Geforce 5200 but not the driver for the capture chip. I have myself an ATI Radeon 9200 VIVO and there you can easily install the graphics card driver without the driver for the capture chip. It should show show up in the device manager (I have the german XP version, where it is called "Gerätemanager" and I don't know the exact english name). If this is the case you simply have to install a VIVO driver, which may be vendor specific (for ATI cards it is not vendor specific).
I am myself interested in an FX 5200 (without VIVO), because it is cheap, doesn't require active cooling, and has full hardware support for DirectX 9.

scotty47
16th March 2005, 14:17
Thank you for the reply kassandro, I looked into the vivo think and it does not have that feature, Going to look for a capture card, any suggestions, one that is not too expensive I only needs to capture for the transfere of VHS movies to dvd for my grandaugter, for when they are on the road. again thank you...............scotty