PDA

View Full Version : simple encoding?

niv
11th March 2005, 20:43
Hay all,
I have read the H.264 FAQ and tried a few of the X.264 releases.
Got good resaults at 0.1 Bit/Pixel
I am confused now.
I am tring to use mencoder to automate the encoding of tv shows I record on a weekly basis.

when I used Xvid, I wrote in the script:
- loding registry settings for 1st pass

instead of loading the registry setting
avs2avi "%file_name%.post.avs" "%file_name%.1.avi" -c xvid -p 0 -w

-laded the 2nd pass regitry settings
avs2avi "%file_name%.post.avs" "%file_name%.2.avi" -c xvid -p 0 -w

I see that Gordian Knot uses Virtualdub to encode to 264.
what is quicker? Virtualdub or mencoder?

how come I could encode xvid ->AVC but mencoder crashs when I feed it MJPEG?

is the following lines ok?
mencoder.exe -nosound -ofps 25 "%file_name%.MJPG.avi" -o NUL: -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=1:bitrate=491
mencoder.exe" -nosound -ofps 25 "%file_name%.MJPG.avi" -o "%file_name%.2.avi" -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=2:bitrate=491

can mencoder recive AVS? I think I saw a post, but can't find it now :-(
note: my calc is: 512X384X25(pal)X0.1= 491

hellfred
11th March 2005, 21:58
Originally posted by niv
Hay all,
I have read the H.264 FAQ and tried a few of the X.264 releases.
Got good resaults at 0.1 Bit/Pixel
I am confused now.
I am tring to use mencoder to automate the encoding of tv shows I record on a weekly basis.

when I used Xvid, I wrote in the script:
- loding registry settings for 1st pass

instead of loading the registry setting
avs2avi "%file_name%.post.avs" "%file_name%.1.avi" -c xvid -p 0 -w

-laded the 2nd pass regitry settings
avs2avi "%file_name%.post.avs" "%file_name%.2.avi" -c xvid -p 0 -w

I see that Gordian Knot uses Virtualdub to encode to 264.
what is quicker? Virtualdub or mencoder?

how come I could encode xvid ->AVC but mencoder crashs when I feed it MJPEG?

is the following lines ok?
mencoder.exe -nosound -ofps 25 "%file_name%.MJPG.avi" -o NUL: -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=1:bitrate=491
mencoder.exe" -nosound -ofps 25 "%file_name%.MJPG.avi" -o "%file_name%.2.avi" -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=2:bitrate=491

can mencoder recive AVS? I think I saw a post, but can't find it now :-(
note: my calc is: 512X384X25(pal)X0.1= 491
Yes, reading of AVS was added to mplayer/mencoder, though there are some unresolved problems concerning some colourspaces as input. You can always use avs2yuv and pipe the raw frames to mencoder, like it is done in MeGUI
avs2yuv file.avs - | mencoder -
You can use x264 comandline app, too. This one can be build from the x264 source, or use x264 vfw interface with avs2avi.

Hellfred

niv
11th March 2005, 23:50
I am currently:
recording to MJpeg -> filtering to MJpeg -> encoding 1st pass -> 2nd pass -> send via ADSL to my flat (thus saving up on the cost of SAT subscription)

1. may I store the filtered video in any other format that would solve the colorspace issue? well except RAW - as I don't have that much space?
2. which is faster to encode, mencoder or avs2avi?
3. that whole b-frame thing, which of the two (mencoder Vs. VFW) support it? (I guess it will yeild better quality..)

Thanks,
Niv

hellfred
12th March 2005, 10:27
Originally posted by niv
I am currently:
recording to MJpeg -> filtering to MJpeg -> encoding 1st pass -> 2nd pass -> send via ADSL to my flat (thus saving up on the cost of SAT subscription)

1. may I store the filtered video in any other format that would solve the colorspace issue? well except RAW - as I don't have that much space?
2. which is faster to encode, mencoder or avs2avi?
3. that whole b-frame thing, which of the two (mencoder Vs. VFW) support it? (I guess it will yeild better quality..)

Thanks,
Niv
I am not familiar with the colouspace-discussion, but the topic was discussed here (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89977).
The speed difference between the different frontends should be minimal, as most CPU cycles will be eaten up by the routins of x264 codec, and that will be the same no matter wich encoding way you choose. VfW has the limitation in B-Frame-handling when saving to avi. If you output a raw AVC video stream via vfw and mux it with an muxer capable to handle B-Frames, you should encounter only minor problems. I suggest you to have a look at the toolchain used for encoding by doom9's MeGUI or start of using it right away untill you are familiar with all the steps needed for encoding.

Hellfred