PDA

View Full Version : capture setting

richpro
9th February 2005, 02:03
I'm running windows ME, and I would like to capture my home movies to my computer, to put on dvd. I have a winTV capture card,with a VCR hooked to it. I can capture from it, from windows movie maker, or from ULEAD video studio 7. Just want to know if anyone can tell me the best capture setting to use for one of these programs, remember I am capturing from analog.

jggimi
9th February 2005, 17:23
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

First, be aware that hard disk support in WME is limited to FAT32, which has a maximum individual file size of 4GB. Any capture software you use needs to be cognizant of this limit, and split captures into new files each time you reach the 4GB limit.

Of the two applications you've mentioned, I only have experience with Ulead VideoStudio. Unfortunately, that experience has been with version 8 only, and has not included analog capture. In the user manual included with VS8, there is an Appendix D that describes recommended "system tweaks" for capture: enabling DMA transfer, disabling write-behind caching, and setting a fixed page file size. If you have not seen those recommendations, look for them in the VS7 manual, and be sure to set your system to use them during capture with VS.

I strongly recommend you spend time reading our Capture Guide (http://www.doom9.org/capture/start.html), it covers best practices for capture prior to editing and post-processing into your final format. These include capturing losslessly (provided you have sufficient disk space), and setting the appropriate capture resolution for your device and analog signal format. You may find our Capture FAQ (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32575) helpful as well.

richpro
10th February 2005, 01:20
Thanks jggimi,

I have looked through the capture guide and the FAQ, really didn't think about looking in the manual, been on the book shelf for so long. Guess I was just looking for an easy way out, to set it up.
I am aware of the 4Gb limit. I was just trying to figure out the settings, to get the best quality when I burn to DVD.
Thanks for the response, I'll check my manual.

borgunit
11th February 2005, 17:26
FYI. The digitalFAQ.com has some good tips for capturing and settings also.