PDA

View Full Version : emule + Windows XP SP2 = AC3 audio skipping

Codesmith
25th January 2005, 17:48
I have a Soundblaster 5.1 and use AC3 filter to output AC3 to my Pioneer Reciever via spdif.
I just upgraded my motherboard from a Soyo KT400 to an Abit NF7-S2. I also switched from Windows XP SP1a to Windows XP SP2.

Prior to the system changes I had no problem running emule, running AutoGK and watching movies at the same time.

Now whever emule is on I get occasional skipping when outputting AC3 via SPDIF.

Emule's CPU utilization durring these skips is often rather low (less than 10%). I also turned off my firewall and antivirus.

However there is no skipping when I have AutoGK running at 71% CPU utilization, no do I have skipping when I run hard drive benchmarks on the drive that emule is using.

I tried various media players, decoding options, process priority settings, but to no avail.

Anyone have any clue as to how/why emule is affecting my audio?

E-Male
25th January 2005, 18:24
if it's not the cpu, then it might be the HD
when emule uses the hd a lot it could prevent teh ac3 file form being read at the needed speed

daphy
26th January 2005, 07:54
tryout the standard tricks
-> checkout your CPU speed or if the bios recognizes your CPU as the right one
-> defrag your hd and registry,
-> check your registry for errors (maybe tuneup2004 or jv16 could be a good choice)
-> donīt use any CPU cooler software,
-> checkout UDMA support of your drives,
-> update the viachip driver (4in1) etc.

but
never ever turn off your firewall and antivirus while playing around with p2p 'games'

and finally

ask this question on a technical related board, not here in the audio section of doom9 ;)

Shinigami-Sama
27th January 2005, 23:05
e/mule sucks anyways...
and yeah
if I use something that has high hdd access my audio AND video skips
so it;s probly that
try lowering e-mule;s protiy that hepled me when I was having problems with lagy emulation of old 16bit games<the best kind :cool:> with other hish access origrams running

Codesmith
29th January 2005, 10:15
Its not the hard drive access. I kept that drive 100% utilized by running a random access benchmark. Had no effect on playing back media that's on a different IDE channel.

At least in this forum there are people using Home Theater Receivers to decode their AC3.

I have posted to technical forums, but only a tiny % of people actually use the SPDIF output feature of AC3 filter, and for some odd reason VAlex the author of AC3 filter doesn't even own any SPDIF equpiment.

BTW I using emule I have downloaded 1.62 TB in 394 days, without getting hacked or infected with a single virus. If that sucks then I definately would like to know what you are using.

Shinigami-Sama
29th January 2005, 20:24
100% access and no skiping?
weird...
well emule will never take links from sites for me
so I call it useless

Codesmith
29th January 2005, 20:51
The movie I was watching is on a different hard drive. CPU utilization is maybe <8% when pushing a hard drive to its limit.

I guess if you can't get emule to work, then for you its useless.

daphy
30th January 2005, 03:16
nice emule thread :mad:

E-Male
30th January 2005, 06:20
what's your problem?