PDA

View Full Version : DELETE talk & other sound in music of films & rec ONLY MUSIC on AUDIO-CD/MD?

SAHARA
13th December 2004, 15:18
greeted....

What i very much want is:
Of film-AUDIO:
- [afterwards into (the film-audio) talked chattering ENTIRELY DELETED
- AND the chattering of the actors ENTIRELY DELETED
- AND other sound in the music ENTIRELY DELETED*]
to copy on an audio-cd or MD ONLY the MUSIC.
Can i do that [ALL*] of films on videocassettes:?:

theReal
14th December 2004, 21:43
On DVD and VHS you have an audio downmix, there's no way you can seperate the music from the talking and other sounds. You'll need the audio master of a film to have all the channels seperated - but of course that's hypothetical because masters of popular movies are worth millions and they are treated like that by the copyright owners...

smiller667
15th December 2004, 00:39
Alternatively, look for dvds which feature an "isolated score" as one soundtrack option... i.e. music only, no speech or ambient sounds.

jggimi
15th December 2004, 01:44
Or acquire the soundtrack albums...

Mug Funky
15th December 2004, 04:12
dialogue can be pretty effectively killed on 5.1 films if you just turn the centre channel down to nothing. but there'll still be mumbling and off-screen character's voices. also there'll be the sound effects.

yeah, the best option is to get the soundtrack album. at least it's not lossily encoded (though if you're using MD, obviously that doesn't bother you:)). AC3 and DTS are both pretty poor compression algos. AC3's only good feature is it's efficient (and proprietary) channel coupling. that aside, it's actually quite stoneage by today's standards. and DTS's only saving grace is it's massive bitrate. but at DVD bitrate (768kbps?) it savages the high frequencies (most of it doesn't seem to be audibly bad though).

[edit]

oh yeah, isolated score is pretty cool. my R4 Mars Attacks DVD has a music only track.

[edit 2]

a few sound apps (and also virtualdub) have vocal remove feaures. these rely on the assumption that vocals will be in the centre. they work well in some cases, but will both hollow out the music's stereo field, and leave some remaining vocals behind.

also, foley and SFX in movies are typically all over the stereo field, mixed in pretty conclusively with the music. there's no way of removing all that without even more severe damage to the music. this kind of thing is where artificial intelligence would be handy (or at least for some bright spark to figure out just how us humans differentiate between SFX, speech and music, and whether it can be implemented into a computer program).

SAHARA
15th December 2004, 10:08
thank you theReal, smiller667 and Mug Funky

It's clear, i notice that even if i can do it, i will not be completely sure that the music i will hear will be of perfect quality.
Soundtrack-cd's? Of 2 films from which i want the music i heard samples of 30 sec (from on B&N, Amazon and AllMusic), which did'nt sound identically as the music in the film.
As the 2 other films from which i want the music are of the same period (1959 and 1966) there probably also will not have been made a cd with the identically music. Although i have not yet found a website on which i can listen to samples of those 2 films their original soundtrack cd's, that could be right thinking of me.
I notice that if i want to have the identically music and be completely sure that it sounds perfect, havig the dvd is the best.
Although i will have to take with it chattering and other sound.

ObiKenobi
15th December 2004, 13:35
Originally posted by HOLY shit
Soundtrack-cd's? Of 2 films from which i want the music i heard samples of 30 sec (from on B&N, Amazon and AllMusic), which did'nt sound identically as the music in the film.

As is the case with alot of movies the original score is recorded but certains parts may get cut and edited as is wanted to fit the movie, so it's not surprising that the music will not sound exactly the same as what is in the movie for this reason.

theReal
17th December 2004, 21:18
But quite often you'll get different sounding music on the audio CD than what you hear in the movie - same music but different post production, I guess.