PDA

View Full Version : how is this done? Please reply...

vasudev71
9th December 2004, 00:14
Hi,

I got 2 questions:

1. I just read about Canopus Edius Pro 3 and its awesome. It can convert from SD (DV) to HDV format and I can burn it on DVD-R.

My question is this:
Will the quality of my NTSC DV footage improve or excel when I go from SD (DV) to HDV?
Also, can I convert the HDV to DVD compliant MPEG2 to watch it on a DVD player?

2. Secondly, I'm just wondering as to how the following can be done:
Lot of old films (e.g) my native language films (that are color or b/w) have been ported to DVD with 5.1 DD or DTS sound and also the picture quality is awesome. How can they convert from a 40 year old film (which has a mono sound in theatres) to a DD or DTS 5.1 channel and also the picture quality is greatly improved on DVD?
How is this possible?

Any thoughts?

Appreciate feedbacks...Arky..Are you reading?

- VS

hendrix
9th December 2004, 02:27
Will the quality of my NTSC DV footage improve or excel when I go from SD (DV) to HDV?
Also, can I convert the HDV to DVD compliant MPEG2 to watch it on a DVD player?

well uprezzing from DV to HDV won't improve quality - you can, however, use Photozoom Pro (S-Spline) to uprez to 720p or 1080p and the quality is good - not improved.

2. Secondly, I'm just wondering as to how the following can be done:
Lot of old films (e.g) my native language films (that are color or b/w) have been ported to DVD with 5.1 DD or DTS sound and also the picture quality is awesome. How can they convert from a 40 year old film (which has a mono sound in theatres) to a DD or DTS 5.1 channel and also the picture quality is greatly improved on DVD?
How is this possible?
well most likely they used the original 35mm interpositive and transfered it to Hi Def - thus the quality. As for the sound they probably used the four track master and remixed to 5.1 - Pro Tools TDM has a great plug-in for creating "True" Stereophonics from a Monophonic source.

as for HDV - me personally i wouldn't touch it just yet since it isn't all I-Frames, thus not being frame accurate and i've read that the tape dropout is terrible, something like 15 frames, thats why you edit HDV with proxy files (offline) then re-capture at HDV (online)

as for converting HDV to DVD compliant mpeg2 - im sure you'll have to export to avi then use whatever to encode your mpeg2.

i havent used Edius so i really can't help there...im an Avid man