PDA

View Full Version : New Form Of DVD Copy Protection - Can't Be Ripped!

ehonauer
6th December 2004, 19:28
Okay, let me clarify the subject - hasn't been ripped yet!

Here's a brain teaser for you advanced types. I recently obtained the Oldboy Ultimate Edition, a fancy boxset for the Korean film. On the box it states "COPY CONTROLLED DVD".

Lo and behold, this DVD is resistant to the standard rippers. DVD Shrink doesn't see the movie, just the menus. SmartRipper starts to rip, than hangs with an error. DVD Decrypter starts to rip as well, but runs into a bunch of read errors. I'll post my DVD Decrypter log in a following post. I've never had a problem ripping any DVD, aside from scratched ones.

I tried tweaking some settings in DVD Decrypter (remove PUOs, ignore read errors) and different methods (IFO read / ISO read). No dice. I am able to rip the other VOB files on the disc, but the VTS_01_1.VOB can't be copied. I'm assuming this is not really an encryption scheme, but some kind of tricky IFO / DVD file structure that's faking out the software. The disc plays fine in my standalone and WinDVD.

Unfortunately, if you're the type who wants to pick up a copy and try the challenge yourself, the Ultimate Edition is ~$100. Another version is coming out in a few weeks that's $20, which I assume would be mastered the same way.

If you have any suggestions or want to see the IFO file let me know.

Thanks!

ehonauer
6th December 2004, 19:32
DVD DECRYPTER LOG

I 18:24:32 DVD Decrypter Version 3.2.2.0 started!
I 18:24:32 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)
I 18:24:32 Initialising SPTI...
I 18:24:32 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 18:24:32 Found 1 DVD+RW!
I 18:24:54 Operation Started!
I 18:24:54 Source Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N C111 (D:)
I 18:24:54 Source Media Region Code: 3
I 18:24:54 Source Copyright Protection System Type: None
I 18:24:54 Destination Folder: C:\OLDBOY_DISC1\VIDEO_TS\
I 18:24:54 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 18:24:54 File Splitting: By File
I 18:24:54 Multi Angle Processing: No
I 18:24:54 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 18:24:54 Stream Processing: No
I 18:24:56 Copying VTS_01_0.IFO... (LBA: 190885 - 190920) - KEY: N/A
I 18:24:56 Copying VTS_01_1.VOB... (LBA: 315846 - 840132) - KEY: N/A
W 18:24:57 Sector 315846 - Pack Header Not Found (0x00000000)
** Identical Pack Header Errors for Sectors 315846-316271 until I killed the process **
W 18:25:04 Sector 316271 - Pack Header Not Found (0x00000000)
E 18:27:44 Failed to read Sector 316272 - Unrecovered Read Error
E 18:27:44 Failed to copy VTS_01_1.VOB!
I 18:27:47 Copying VTS_01_2.VOB... (LBA: 840133 - 1364419) - KEY: N/A

akupenguin
6th December 2004, 19:55
What happens if you simply mount the DVD, copy the VOB file, and manually decss?

Obviously anything that can be played can also be copied, it's just a matter of using a tool that doesn't try to parse whatever garbage they've added.

ehonauer
6th December 2004, 20:20
If I try to do a straight copy / paste through the file system, I get a "Cannot copy VTS_01_1: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." Looks like they have that one covered, too.

Perhaps the file size has been intentionally misrepresented to create copy errors?

UPDATE: I also tried to XCOPY from the command prompt without the verify switch. That returned a "File creation error - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

akupenguin
6th December 2004, 20:49
Hmm, I have some game CDs that act like that. How about about a blind copy a la CloneCD? That might give you an ISO without the CRC errors, which you could then virtually mount and decss/rip.

Or you could try "mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta/) dvd://1 -dumpstream", which is more like a normal DVD player except with an option to copy the movie stream instead of playing it.

dragongodz
6th December 2004, 21:02
anyone that starts a thread with "new dvd copy protection" when it isnt should seriously be slapped up the side of the head. especially if they dont :search: .

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80118
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=82520

ehonauer
6th December 2004, 21:23
Originally posted by dragongodz
anyone that starts a thread with "new dvd copy protection" when it isnt should seriously be slapped up the side of the head. especially if they dont :search: .

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80118
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=82520

Apologies, but in my defense, I did search both on Oldboy and some other terms but the only things I found were people talking about ripping discs that have been scratched. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll read up on the threads you indicated.

The Geek
7th December 2004, 12:18
Try the newest version of DVD Decrypter, 3.5.1.0, maybe it can handle the new copy protection.

You can also try the newest version of AnyDVD, I think that can bypass a new sort of copy protection.

The Geek

ehonauer
7th December 2004, 15:43
After reading the threads dragongodz posted, I did try both DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0 and CloneDVD2 / AnyDVD. Neither worked.

DVDDecrypter ran into the same "pack header" errors on the first VOB file. I tried a File read and then an ISO read, played with some settings like Ignore Read Errors, but nothing worked.

Clone DVD2 / AnyDVD seemed to work, but when I watched what it ripped, only the audio was available. I went back and tried again and noticed on one of the wizard pages that it couldn't see the video files, just the audio and subtitle files. So the score is:

Oldboy: 2
DVD rippers: 0

I opened the IFO file with IFOEdit to see if anything would jump out at me, but I didn't notice anything weird. Keep in mind I have no idea what a good IFO file is supposed to look like, so it would probably have to say "THIS IS BAD" in 36 point font in the IFO file for me to notice.

Just as a sanity check to rule out some hardware or environment problem I tried ripping a different disc and it worked fine.

LIGHTNING UK!
7th December 2004, 20:19
You're supposed to get packheader errors on these protected discs, they're nothing to worry about.

If you can get all the files onto your hdd, DVD Decrypter has done its job.

ehonauer
7th December 2004, 20:34
Sorry, I wasn't completely explicit about the issue: the first VOB doesn't get copied to the hdd completely, about 1 MB gets copied, then DVD Decrypter moves on to the other VOBs. I tried playing the other VOBs in VLC and they were okay. But the VTS_01_1.VOB doesn't get copied.

I deleted the files but I'll try again tonight and post my DVD Decrypter log. Thanks!

The Geek
7th December 2004, 22:09
So it's just the first VOB that can't be copied.

I see. Try AnyDVD + VOBblanker. That worked for me .. I had that problem with Walking Tall, it uses a new copy protection, and it looks like your problematic DVD uses the same.

The Geek

Lecter
7th December 2004, 23:41
You may also try AnyDVD (4.1.1.2 or later) + DVDWasher (freeware)

Open DVDWasher:

Video_ts_ifo originale --> Source path
Cartella de destinazione --> Destination folder
Fast Error Skip: Select "Gestione Block Error di AnyDVD"
Identifica Fake PGC: Select "Tipo DVDBlanker"

Then push Pulisci DVD button and wait until the job is done. Then you can use the encoder engine you want (CloneDVD, DVDShrink, DVDRebuilder...)

This is very useful to overcome the Arccos protection of some Filmax movies.

A last query: Could the DVD batch be defective? In my country we found the problem of cyclic redundancy in several DVDs of Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban bought in Madrid. However, in other provinces, such as Seville, there was no problem.

ehonauer
8th December 2004, 21:21
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions & help. I tried DVD Decrypter again, this time I tried File mode and set the Software Read Error Retries (Tools -> Settings -> I/O) to 1 based on a comment in another thread. It took a while, and for the longest time the progress bar was == 0%, but eventually it did rip all the VOBs.

Now does the IFO file need to be edited for the ripped VOBs to be burned properly?

ehonauer
10th December 2004, 20:46
Still struggling with this. DVDShrink won't read the ripped files. I tried looking at the files in VOBBlanker, but I don't see anything amiss (people on other threads have mentioned seeing the bad cells and blanking them out?)

I also tried looking at this in IFOEdit, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

If this is the future of ripping ARccOS protectd DVDs, it's a pretty painful one.

ehonauer
10th December 2004, 21:14
Originally posted by Lecter
You may also try AnyDVD (4.1.1.2 or later) + DVDWasher (freeware)

Open DVDWasher:

Video_ts_ifo originale --> Source path
Cartella de destinazione --> Destination folder
Fast Error Skip: Select "Gestione Block Error di AnyDVD"
Identifica Fake PGC: Select "Tipo DVDBlanker"

Then push Pulisci DVD button and wait until the job is done. Then you can use the encoder engine you want (CloneDVD, DVDShrink, DVDRebuilder...)

This is very useful to overcome the Arccos protection of some Filmax movies.

A last query: Could the DVD batch be defective? In my country we found the problem of cyclic redundancy in several DVDs of Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban bought in Madrid. However, in other provinces, such as Seville, there was no problem.

Hi, I tried DVDWasher with the settings you specified. It moved about 243 MB of the VTS_01_0.VOB file, then threw a fatal error and closed.

I don't think the disc is defective, since it has "COPY CONTROLLED DVD" in big letters on the box, and the behaviour I'm seeing is consistent with what others have run into with ARccOS protection.

Flash_Git
11th December 2004, 16:56
Hey mate, I'm having fun ripping the UE as well. Thnaks for your DVD Decryptor tip by the way, doing that + enabling "Ignore Read Errors" worked great.

I managed to make a backup with shrink. For me it recognised the menus and it had the rest as unclassifed or unsomethihng. Couldn't remove the menus or anything so it had to be a full backup which worked fine. I just compresed the menus as still pictures and removed the menu audio and the commentary tracks ec. Then made a backup and it played back fine.

Deleted my rip as I was just trying it out. I'll make another later and will try stripping menus and things to see what I can do.

If this really is Arccos then it must be a newer version as none of the Arccos tools or techniques make a difference.

Edit See Here (http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?&threadid=43672) so maybe not Arccos after all.

Edit2: Not checked yet but I'm pretty sute it's Alpha-DVD by Settect as they're a Korean company so it'd make sense.

ehonauer
12th December 2004, 05:28
Ah, thanks for the tips. So, is this a new form of copy protection? Where are the haters now? Ha!

A couple questions:

Which version of DVD Shrink are you using?

You say you backed it up with DVD Shrink, did you backup the files you ripped with DVD Decrypter, or did you back it up straight from the disc?

I deleted my DVD Decrypter rip too, out of frustration! Couldn't do a damn thing with it. Maybe this thread is in the wrong forum now. Decrypted it, can't make a copy of it!

Flash_Git
12th December 2004, 23:27
Latest version of DVD Shrink and I made the backup from the files I'd ripped with DVD Decryptor.
Certainly works though, can strip away most bits but you're stuck with the menus. I tried playing about some authoring tools but this is only the second time I've made a backup so I haven't a clue.

Can't find a thing about Settec's Alpha-DVD on the net so I can't prove it uses this but it certainly isn't Arccos. Wish I knew Korean so I could go check out some forums. I expect someone will come up with a way to remove the protection once more people have discs protected with this. Not many people have the UE after all.

ehonauer
13th December 2004, 02:35
Success! Usually I try to reauthor a DVD with DVD Shrink, which wasn't working with the Oldboy disc. After you mentioned using DVD Shrink's Full Disc backup option I tried that, but I was able to run it right against the disc without having to rip it to my hard drive. The funny thing is, it ripped in about 30 minutes, unlike DVD Decrypter, which was taking 2+ hours to rip it.

After that, I used your suggestion to compress all the menus as still pictures. I also deselected the audio streams on all the menus. What's more, once DVD Shrink read the disc in Full Disc mode, I was able to go into the "Unreferenced Material" subtree and deselect the commentaries and Korean subtitle tracks.

At that point I had reduced the non-main title content to 13 MB, and the automatic compression was at 71.8%. Not bad. I backed up the disc, converted it to an ISO with ImgTool, and burned back to disc with DVD Decrypter. The copy played in my settop with menus and subtitles! Thanks for your help Flash_Git!

By the way, I'm using DVD Shrink 3.2.

On the subject of the copy protection scheme used, I used A-Ray Scanner, which is supposed to scan DVDs/CDs and detect the copy protection used on the disc. Settec Alpha Rom is in the list of protections it detects. I ran it against Oldboy, and it came back saying "No Protection Detected." Still wondering if this is some new protection method.

Flash_Git
13th December 2004, 03:14
So you managed to rip it with Shrink? Never tried that, just used Decrpytor which took 20-25 minutes for me.
Currently making a backup of it now (proper one this time not a rush job). After going through each menu, disabling the audio and setting the compression to still pictures I realised I could just click on the folder and do it for the lot at once!
Downside to leaving the menus is the option to select the different subtitle tracks and commentaries is still there. Hmm think I'll cancel my backup, I can use still image and put an image saying "Not Availiable" there instead.

Alpha Rom isn't for DVD's, Alpha-DVD is a new one.

rebuilderfan12345
22nd December 2004, 06:13
Hey Y'all. Just thought you would like to know the new Resident Evil: Apocalypse (NTSC Region 1) has the same kind of copy protection, whatever it is. It will read only the menues on dvdshrink and gets the same cyclic error on Dvdecryptor after 4% as previously mentioned.

LIGHTNING UK!
22nd December 2004, 09:32
I actually fixed the problem with Resident Evil some time ago (before I heard about the problem actually), but of course I havent yet released a new 'updated' version.

Over on my forum there is a PSL file that you can import and it'll then rip it just fine.

baccuci
27th December 2004, 22:19
I havent yet released a new 'updated' version
@ LIGHTNING UK!
What will be the release date for the new version of dvddecrypter?

LIGHTNING UK!
28th December 2004, 13:24
Some time in the near future ;)

dragongodz
28th December 2004, 13:54
So, is this a new form of copy protection? Where are the haters now? Ha!
Still wondering if this is some new protection method.
haters ? you call people "haters" because they get sick of people repeating mistakes, such as calling something new the moment they run in to trouble ? Ha! back at you.

let me make it clearer then. crc errors in files that are either never used, called or expected to return an error is NOT a new copy protection. they have been doing this on cds(especially games) for years and years and years etc etc etc(some C64 games back in the early 80's for example used this trick), long before dvd was around. now with dvd they put the bad parts inside a VOB and make that part unreferenced so a player will never play it. however a ripper of course tries to rip the whole file so runs in to the errors. so they are simply applying an old protection to a new format.

Mac Sidewinder
29th December 2004, 04:17
Has anybody ran into any other titles besides the one this thread was started with and Resident Evil Apocalypse that is using this form of copy protection?

Mac

tazdevl
29th December 2004, 04:33
Originally posted by LIGHTNING UK!
Over on my forum there is a PSL file that you can import and it'll then rip it just fine.

One slight problem... you aren't accepting any new registrants to the forum so we can't access the file. Any way for you to put it on the main page or can someone else host it?

Thx
Tax

OvERaCiD23
29th December 2004, 06:06
Yes, if someone could post the PSL file that would be great.

Andykard
29th December 2004, 15:57
I dont know if we are all talking about the same thing, but this week I have had trouble with 2 backups, King Arthur and Coronado (both NTSC R1), no problem with Decryptor ripping them but then IC8 just hangs with CPU usage 100%. Never had this before with IC in over 2 years. Used DVD Rebuilder in the end - no problems with that.

dragongodz
30th December 2004, 04:30
if decrypter didnt throw any errors then no its not the same thing. try running it through dvdshrink set to no compression and then run the output from that through IC. i bet it works fine then. a freind who uses IC had to do that for his Farscape dvds. :)

dragongodz
30th December 2004, 06:02
another solution for beating RE2 and maybe others with this protection seems to be using VobBlanker. you can read more here
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250352
(thanks to jeanl for the link)

infact we now have 3 threads all about RE2
1. this one
2. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87361
3. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87371

k-c-ksum
3rd January 2005, 02:05
what about setting dvddecrypter to skip/blank errors then use ifoedit to do a fake strip to correct the navpaks. That should take care of it?

OvERaCiD23
3rd January 2005, 02:12
I found the PSL over at AfterDawn. If you remove the FS version and extras, the disc fits perfectly on a DVD-5.

Lecter
3rd January 2005, 23:25
Maybe the new version of AnyDVD could be the key:

AnyDVD 4.4.1.1 (beta), 2005 01 02

- New: Added support for a new version of the "Sony ARccOS
protection" as found on "Resident Evil - Apocalypse" (US)
or "Little Black Book" (US) to the option to remove
"Protection based on unreadable Sectors"
- Fix: AnyDVD did not work correctly with Mini-DVDs in
some CD-ROM drives
- Fix: Sometimes assumed unprotected DVD-R/RWs are CSS
protected DVDs with some drives
- Some minor fixes and improvements
- Updated languages"

Bye

dragongodz
4th January 2005, 04:56
try reading the links i gave, there are already solutions. infact there are another 2 threads about RE2 because people dont now how or dont want to search.

ehonauer
4th January 2005, 20:18
Originally posted by dragongodz
try reading the links i gave, there are already solutions. infact there are another 2 threads about RE2 because people dont now how or dont want to search.

Please keep this thread specific to the Alpha-DVD form of copy protection developed by the Settec / LG company of South Korea. The other threads do not provide any workable solutions for copying the Oldboy UE or FE DVD. So far AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, Smartripper, VOBBlanker, DVDDecrypter, and DVDWasher have not been able to produce a burnable copy. If you'd like to demonstrate how those tools can rip a copy of the Oldboy UE or FE DVD (or other discs using Alpha-DVD protection), please do so. So far, the only thing that has worked has been DVDShrink 3.2 using full backup mode.

By the way, dragongodz, I had someone PM me asking a question about this, I assume they were afraid to post a question because they'll get flamed and treated like an idiot. Is that the type of atmosphere you want on this forum? Let me know, I'll delete my thread and move on...

LIGHTNING UK!
4th January 2005, 22:52
Welcome back to the thread!

As this is pretty old now, could you try the disc with version 3.5.1.0

I'd like to see if my program picks up any sort of 'structure protection'. If it does, it'll say so in the log.

If it doesnt, could you email me the IFO files copied off the original disc via explorer. You can mail them to the address in the programs 'About' box. (I wont post it here because I get enough SPAM already!)

dragongodz
5th January 2005, 01:05
Please keep this thread specific to the Alpha-DVD form of copy protection developed by the Settec / LG company of South Korea.
well that may have been a nice idea but RE2 was mentioned quite some time ago, why say anything now ? it would be nice if all the RE2 threads were merged ,or at least some of them, since there are now 6 threads with people asking about RE2. also Lecters post was an obvious reference to RE2 protection so i answered it as such.

By the way, dragongodz, I had someone PM me asking a question about this, I assume they were afraid to post a question because they'll get flamed and treated like an idiot. Is that the type of atmosphere you want on this forum? Let me know, I'll delete my thread and move on...
grow up. i have criticised people asking the same question in multiple posts because they obviously have not searched. if you think thats flaming then you really should try some other forums since you have not seen real flaming at all.
as for the threat of "i'll leave" hey thats up to you, wont effect me.

ehonauer
6th January 2005, 02:33
Originally posted by LIGHTNING UK!
Welcome back to the thread!

As this is pretty old now, could you try the disc with version 3.5.1.0

I'd like to see if my program picks up any sort of 'structure protection'. If it does, it'll say so in the log.

If it doesnt, could you email me the IFO files copied off the original disc via explorer. You can mail them to the address in the programs 'About' box. (I wont post it here because I get enough SPAM already!)

I'll give this a whirl tomorrow - I've already upgraded to 3.5.2.0, I'm assuming that won't make a difference?

LIGHTNING UK!
6th January 2005, 10:06
No, it's good that you're using 3.5.2.0

I'd like to see if IT can pick up any form of 'structure protection'.

Thanks in advance :)

ehonauer
6th January 2005, 19:35
Okay, I didn't set any options (like Ignore Read Errors) in v3.5.2.0, I just let 'er rip. Encountered the same problems as previously. I tried FILE, IFO and ISO modes, my logs are below. I emailed you the IFO files.

I assume the structure protection used by Alpha-DVD is somehow different than ARccOS, otherwise Sony would sue Settec for patent infringement.

FILE mode log (after it gave up on the first VOB I canceled the rip)

I 12:47:04 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.2.0 started!
I 12:47:04 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)
I 12:47:04 Initialising SPTI...
I 12:47:04 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 12:47:04 Found 1 DVD+RW!
I 12:47:39 Operation Started!
I 12:47:39 Source Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N C111 (D:) (ATA)
I 12:47:39 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 12:47:39 Source Media Region Code: 3
I 12:47:39 Source Copyright Protection System Type: None
I 12:47:39 Destination Folder: C:\OLDBOY_DISC1\VIDEO_TS\
I 12:47:39 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 12:47:39 File Splitting: By File
I 12:47:39 Multi Angle Processing: No
I 12:47:39 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 12:47:39 Stream Processing: No
I 12:47:39 Copying VIDEO_TS.IFO... (LBA: 640 - 645) - KEY: N/A
I 12:47:39 Copying VTS_01_0.IFO... (LBA: 190885 - 190920) - KEY: N/A
I 12:47:39 Copying VTS_01_1.VOB... (LBA: 315846 - 840132) - KEY: N/A
W 12:47:40 Sector 315846 - Pack Header Not Found (0x00000000)
... lotsa pack header errors here .....
W 12:47:40 Sector 315945 - Pack Header Not Found (0x00000000)
W 12:47:40 Arrrrgggh! Too Many 'Pack Header Not Found' Errors!
W 12:47:40 'Pack Header Not Found' logging has been halted for now.
E 12:50:09 Failed to read Sector 316272 - Unrecovered Read Error
E 12:50:09 Failed to copy VTS_01_1.VOB!
I 12:50:12 Copying VTS_01_2.VOB... (LBA: 840133 - 1364419) - KEY: N/A
I 12:50:26 Abort Request Acknowledged
E 12:50:27 Failed to copy VTS_01_2.VOB!
E 12:50:28 Operation Aborted! - Duration: 00:02:49
E 12:50:28 Average Read Rate: 369 KB/s (0.3x) - Maximum Read Rate: 5,932 KB/s (4.3x)

IFO mode log (this completed normally, but it only tried to copy the first VOB, and the ripped file was 0 bytes)

I 12:58:32 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.2.0 started!
I 12:58:32 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)
I 12:58:32 Initialising SPTI...
I 12:58:32 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 12:58:32 Found 1 DVD+RW!
I 12:58:37 Operation Started!
I 12:58:37 Source Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N C111 (D:) (ATA)
I 12:58:37 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 12:58:37 Source Media Region Code: 3
I 12:58:37 Source Copyright Protection System Type: None
I 12:58:37 Destination Folder: C:\OLDBOY_DISC1\VIDEO_TS\
I 12:58:37 File Splitting: 1 GB
I 12:58:37 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 12:58:37 Stream Processing: No
I 12:58:37 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 12:58:38 Decryption Key: N/A
I 12:58:39 Extracting Sectors...
D 12:58:39 Cell 0 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 12:59:52 Cell 1 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:00:57 Cell 2 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:01:43 Cell 3 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:02:53 Cell 4 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:03:41 Cell 5 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:04:29 Cell 6 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:05:11 Cell 7 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:05:44 Cell 8 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:06:16 Cell 9 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:07:05 Cell 10 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:07:37 Cell 11 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:08:04 Cell 12 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:08:44 Cell 13 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:09:43 Cell 14 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:10:25 Cell 15 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:11:19 Cell 16 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:11:54 Cell 17 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:12:30 Cell 18 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:13:15 Cell 19 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:14:04 Cell 20 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:14:59 Cell 21 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:15:17 Cell 22 - CellAddress_Count = 0
D 13:15:40 Cell 23 - CellAddress_Count = 0
I 13:17:27 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:18:50
I 13:17:27 Average Read Rate: 6,244 KB/s (4.5x) - Maximum Read Rate: 8,278 KB/s (6.0x)

ISO mode log (similar results to File mode)

I 13:19:24 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.2.0 started!
I 13:19:24 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)
I 13:19:24 Initialising SPTI...
I 13:19:24 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 13:19:24 Found 1 DVD+RW!
I 13:19:29 Operation Started!
I 13:19:29 Source Device: [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N C111 (D:) (ATA)
I 13:19:29 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 13:19:29 Source Media Region Code: 3
I 13:19:29 Source Copyright Protection System Type: None
I 13:19:29 Destination File: C:\OLDBOY_DISC1.ISO
I 13:19:29 File Splitting: Auto
I 13:19:29 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 13:19:29 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 13:19:29 Extracting Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 3845935)
I 13:19:33 Found IFO File: VIDEO_TS.IFO - (LBA: 640 - 645)
I 13:19:33 Found VOB File: VIDEO_TS.VOB - (LBA: 646 - 18999) - KEY: N/A
I 13:19:43 Found BUP File: VIDEO_TS.BUP - (LBA: 19000 - 19005)
I 13:21:21 Found IFO File: VTS_01_0.IFO - (LBA: 190885 - 190920)
I 13:21:22 Found VOB File: VTS_01_0.VOB - (LBA: 190921 - 315845) - KEY: N/A
I 13:22:27 Found VOB File: VTS_01_1.VOB - (LBA: 315846 - 840132) - KEY: N/A
W 13:22:27 Sector 315846 - Pack Header Not Found (0x00000000)
... same pack header errors ....
W 13:22:27 Sector 315945 - Pack Header Not Found (0x00000000)
W 13:22:27 Arrrrgggh! Too Many 'Pack Header Not Found' Errors!
W 13:22:27 'Pack Header Not Found' logging has been halted for now.
I 13:23:43 Abort Request Acknowledged
E 13:23:44 Failed to Extract Sectors!
E 13:23:44 Operation Aborted! - Duration: 00:04:15
E 13:23:44 Average Read Rate: 2,480 KB/s (1.8x) - Maximum Read Rate: 4,477 KB/s (3.2x)

Thanks for taking a look at this, let me know if you'd like me to try anything else.

Josh
6th January 2005, 23:03
Hey Lightning UK!, it looks like the new version of DVDDecryptor is working on Resident Evil 2. On version 3.5.1.0 it would only get to 4%, but now it's already up to 26% on version 3.5.2.0. If you want me to post my log when done let me know.

LIGHTNING UK!
7th January 2005, 11:30
ehonauer, hopefully you got my reply email?

If you could test that PSL file, I'd really appreciate it.

Josh, No that's fine thanks. Quite a few people have already said the new one works great with RE2 and LBB. :)

ehonauer
7th January 2005, 16:12
Lightning UK, got your mail, thanks, I'll post some results later today.

Flash_Git
9th January 2005, 17:55
I'm confused, I thought you were able to rip this with Decryptor ehonauer. I certainly was in 20-30 minutes, I then used DVD Shrinks full backup made and was able to burn a copy that worked.

LIGHTNING UK!
9th January 2005, 19:58
No this discs has protection on it that I couldn't deal with until I looked at the IFO files more closely.

There are a potential 2000 bad sectors at the start of the first vob in the main vts set.

Maybe your version was different somehow.

ehonauer
10th January 2005, 02:57
Yes, Flash_Git, you and I were able to rip a copy with DVD Decrypyter by futzing around with some of the settings, but Lightning UK suggested I try again after a recent upgrade to see if the structure protection changes would handle Alpha-DVD protection straight out of the box. It turned out not to, but he provided me with a PSL that could rip the Oldboy disc in File mode and ISO mode. The fix should be built into the next release of DVD Decrypter.

There remains the problem that once you rip the files, some of the copy protection is still in effect. Apparently there's some kind of misinformation / misdirection in the IFO files that makes the disc difficult to work with. I can make a copy with DVDShrink, but can't use the Reauthor mode. Also, if you tried to rip the copy, you'd find that the protection scheme has been propogated to the new copy. Tricky!

I haven't had a chance to use some other processing tools to see if they'd be able to compress / reauthor the files that DVD Decrypter ripped.

dragongodz
15th January 2005, 00:38
i just saw this piece of info aswell for the latest beta (4.5.3.1) of anydvd. http://www.slysoft.com/download/changes_anydvd_beta.txt

New: Added support for the "Settec ALPHA-DVD protection"
as found on "Old Boy - Final Edition" (Korea) to the option
to remove "Protection based on unreadable Sectors"

so may be worth you having a look at.

Flash_Git
16th January 2005, 00:00
Ah gotcha, did you try it on the extras discs? I tried ripping the first one but it took forever because every vob was protected and there are a lot of vobs.

Cheers dragongodz, was hoping that they would add that to AnyDVD. I'll give it a go and report back.

cynthia_old
17th July 2005, 15:18
@ ehonauer or someone else who have the *old boy* (Korea) release.

I wonder if you would like to try Magic DVD Ripper and confirm if this program works or not with the alpha-dvd protections on the *old boy" release.

You can download a beta version here (http://www.magicdvdripper.com/download/MagicDVDRipper33d.exe).

Also if you would like to post the log file or send it as a PM to me.

Funnybook
22nd July 2005, 08:36
What happens if you simply mount the DVD, copy the VOB file, and manually decss?

Obviously anything that can be played can also be copied, it's just a matter of using a tool that doesn't try to parse whatever garbage they've added.

I've been Googling and also searching the forum here, but 'mount' is such a common word that I'm getting a lifetime worth of hits. Please excuse my newbie question... what does it mean to "mount" a disk?

zacoz
22nd July 2005, 12:47
@Funnybook
For we windows users, mounting essentially means putting the disc in (and opening it in Windows Explorer).

Mounting is the process of assigning a drive letter or directory to removable media so that you can access it. Linux, along with a number of other operating systems, normally needs to have a disc mounted after it is inserted, then unmounted before removing it. Windows automatically mounts/unmounts removable media which is why you're probably not familiar with it. More recently I believe Linux has also been moving down the automount track also.

Funnybook
23rd July 2005, 04:10
For we windows users, mounting essentially means putting the disc in (and opening it in Windows Explorer).

Ah... no special action on my part, then. Thanks for the reply, zacoz.

owlman
25th July 2005, 15:03
Hi
You Tried Running It Thru Vobblamker Then Thru Shrink
Rgds

johner23
26th July 2005, 14:06
I wonder if you would like to try Magic DVD Ripper and confirm if this program works or not with the alpha-dvd protections on the *old boy" release.

---> http://www.settec.co.kr/eng/index.htm

---> http://www.settec.co.kr/eng/pro_alphadvd.htm

Is that the place who some people have create a new trick dvd protection system? It is located in Korea too, right?

Any solution about that systems? Any ripper prepared to deal with those?

thanks

devil (johner)

owlman
26th July 2005, 14:13
hi
run the disk using vobblanker and anydvd as it has probably got the sony arcoss dummy files on it,then rip with shrink

tylo
4th August 2005, 21:12
Got the exact same problem with the movie "Closer" (R 2,5). Can't copy VTS_01_1.VOB with either explorer, dvddecrypter or shrink. Fortunately, DVDFab Decrypter 2.9.3.2 does it like a charm - and fast. Incredible.

cynthia_old
5th August 2005, 09:08
Got the exact same problem with the movie "Closer" (R 2,5). Can't copy VTS_01_1.VOB with either explorer, dvddecrypter or shrink. Fortunately, DVDFab Decrypter 2.9.3.2 does it like a charm - and fast. Incredible.If you are dealing with region code 2 of Closer - you need to create/use a PSL file for DVD Decrypter.

GZZ
8th August 2005, 13:13
I did manage to decrypt closer. Just use AnyDVD and in dvddecrypter under settings -> I/O set it to elbyCDIO. Then it will replace all the Across sectors with dummy. But the far best way will be to deselect the cells that the across are in.. Because the across sectors don't contain any video info, they are just dummy sector (black screen). So you are better of just starting from Cell22 I think... The movie will be 3 sec shorter (those 3 sec are black screen), but you then across protection are gone and you don't get sync problems with both audio and subs..

GZZ

FarCry
8th August 2005, 19:19
why anydvd alone does not do this job that you mention? is there a problem with sync problems? i know that the cells containing bad sectors are left by anydvd but a sync problem first time i heard about this

cperrywebrat
18th August 2005, 02:56
I've run into this problem with XXX State of the Union, and Hitch, on about 10 copies of each, error in same place in the same VOB as everyone else, strange thing is that it is in exactly the same spot on each DVD, however I am trying the suggestion to ignore read errors and set to zero, we'll see if that works!!
Has anybody ran into any other titles besides the one this thread was started with and Resident Evil Apocalypse that is using this form of copy protection?

Mac

cperrywebrat
18th August 2005, 05:14
I have been having some new sort of copy protection problems with new movies at the very beginning of the movie (title 1). I have found that I cannot use the normal method of burning to iso in dvd shrink, i had to install the latest version of dvd decrypter and burn to iso as a large file. I checked to remove all decryption/protection in all the settings. then I mounted on a virtual drive and brought into dvd shrink and reripped to a smaller size. worked fine then.

g1BBz
19th August 2005, 23:30
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum" - Nada (They Live)." that is Duke Nukem not "nada" and it's,

""I've come to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum" - Duke Nukem." if your going to rip a quote do it correctly.

dragongodz
20th August 2005, 02:28
that is Duke Nukem not "nada" and it's,
""I've come to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum" - Duke Nukem."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/quotes

if your going to rip a quote do it correctly.
how about you know what you are talking about first. a simple search for "they live" and the quote would have been a good idea before posting.

Fishman0919
20th August 2005, 03:27
Roddy Piper....WOW.... ROFL..... haven't watched that in a long time

BSpielbauer
20th August 2005, 05:35
I've run into this problem with XXX State of the Union, and Hitch, on about 10 copies of each, error in same place in the same VOB as everyone else, strange thing is that it is in exactly the same spot on each DVD, however I am trying the suggestion to ignore read errors and set to zero, we'll see if that works!!

To clarify... there are really only two "new" forms of copy protection out there, that have been reported:

1.) Sony ArCCos, which has some newer minor derivatives. Sony ARccOS just uses deliberate structure errors. The discs include "XXX State of the Union, Region 1," and also "Hitch" Region 1, and "Hitch" Region 2, 4, and 5.

The following discs also have Sony ARccOS protection: Resident Evil Apocalypse 2; Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Region 2,4,5;

The total number of discs worldwide that have been identified as Sony ARccOS discs numbers slightly more than 50. So far.

Sony ARccOS copy protection is found on almost every one of the newer titles released or distributed by Sony, or Columbia, or Columbia/Tristar or Tristar. Anyone dealing with any of these discs released since January of 2005 should definitely read the following thread, very carefully:

Click here for an excellent guide for Sony ArCCos discs (http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=48842&highlight=Sony+Arccos+running)

2.) Alpha-DVD Settec by LG. The other new form of protection has not yet been reported on any Region 1 discs. Not a single Region 1 disc, that I am aware of. It is much newer, and so far it has not appeared on many discs at all. This is the "Alpha-DVD Settec" protection scheme developed by LG of Korea. It can be found on a very few discs so far, but the ones that do have it seem to include "Oldboy" in the United Kingdom.

SideNote: The other recent hot topic in the area of copy protection, "Ripgard," is a Macrovision product, which has not yet been confirmed on any disc. Not one. It has had many "false reports," but so far none of these has demonstrated any validity at all. (Most have proven to be one of the two schemes mentioned above, or else they were the usual "dirty disc" syndrome.) Ripgard was announced very loudly back in the spring via a few press repeases from Macrovision, causing much curiosity and concern and even a lot of paranoia. It was also annouced that it would begin to appear in mid-summer of 2005. However, it has yet to cause a single real problem that anyone has been able to verify (some believe Ripgard has not yet appeared on a single disc, while others believe that it has appeared, but that it was so weak or ineffective as to not even be noticable). === End of SideNote ===

Back to the main topics...

The Sony ARccOS discs (#1, above) can be managed, with the proper choice of ripping tools. In fact, there are even choices, here. So far, the last version of DVDDecrypter with the default settings can still handle all of the Region 1 versions of Sony ArCCos. A very few of the newer ones (in other regions) may require the creation of a special dedicated PSL file if you use DVDDecrypter (two examples include the DVD "Closer" in Region 2 United Kingdom, or Dutch, or Italy, or Scandinavia; and, also the film "Saw" in Region 2 Italy). Or, these discs may require you to switch to one of the other rippers which has continued to be updated in the last two months.

The Alpha-DVD Settec discs (#2, above) similarly can be circumvented, by choosing the proper ripping tool. Not as many choices, in this case, but still managable.

I noticed this thread was still running, and that some of the more recent posts make it obvious that some people have not quite read all of the previous information carefully, so I thought I would try to sum up what has appeared, previously.

Thnaks,

-Bruce

MikeK
20th August 2005, 17:55
Hi

Very nice update Bruce.

Thanks.

greetz Mike

dragongodz
21st August 2005, 13:10
Roddy Piper....WOW.... ROFL..... haven't watched that in a long time
yes i havent watched it for some time either. no R4 dvd release yet either(ever ?) only R1 and R2(with commentary by Carpenter and Piper).

BSpielbauer - :goodpost: sums things up nicely. :D