PDA

View Full Version : unrecognized SUB format in most programs

neo211
12th November 2004, 06:34
i've got a few Chinese/Japanese movies with subtitles in idx/sub format. Naturally i assumed that these are normal subtitles. Unfortunately for me i need to convert them to SRT so that they may work in my Philips standalone player. I found some softwares that apparently did the covnersion but whenever i tried to open the idx or sub files i would get an error. i finally found one software that can open the file and convert it. SubRip. Unfortunately for me it only converts it to SUP. i figured i could convert it to SUP then convert to SRT. seems like i cant. Also when i do convert to SUP it separates each line into its own file leaving me with 656 SUP files for one movie. if anyone knows of an easier way of converting from SUB to SRT it would be greatly appreciated. Or an easy way for hardcoding the SUBS into the avi. I tried with VDubMod but i can only do it if i re-encode the movie. again my SUB/IDX files were only recognized by SubRip. Oh yeah i was also able to open them with VobSub but the only way of converting with it is by typing in pretty much every line which is very time consuming. i tried searching the forum as well as googling it but they both yielded no results for me. any help is greatly appreciated. TIA!!!

ak_gamma
13th November 2004, 10:33
You should use SubRip for the conversion. You need only to type the needed amount of letters - that's not too much - probably about 30 for the film or so. SubRip uses OCR method, like scanner or smth like that.
By the way, the topic is trivial - so you should have looked through the forum and guides BETTER - the answer is obvious.