PDA

View Full Version : family member dvd's

oneunshamed
1st November 2004, 03:14
Is it illegal, (as far as what is known), to use a family members DVD's for my own personal use. In America, are there copyright laws against allowing someone in the "imediate" family from burning dvd's that another family member owns? I would like to know this because there seems to be no problem with it as far as i can tell (i have searched for this answer for a while and found no solution yet). The reason for my inquiry is that I am a college student and if this seems to be legit i would like to copy my familys dvd's and use them while i am in school because well... its boring at times and im poor. Any ideas if this is legal or not? Thanks.

dani82
1st November 2004, 08:58
mother, father, brother, sister, adopted; family

aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws; immediate family (as far as i know)

as long as you lived with them before you left for school, it's your right, to do as you wish (with their permission), no matter what the law says.

none of this will matter, when it comes down to it, it's all about your morals

oneunshamed
1st November 2004, 22:01
morals?

in 21 years old, i didnt live with them prior to my schooling, but i live with them during breaks i have to take while in school. Complicated ?, maybe. Since when did american laws have to do with "morality" alone? it usually has to do with apeasement and justice as well. Which is why i need to know for certain in my circumstance i can do what it is i am asking. Id like to know the straighht facts, not whether or not i "feel" or think its right, what is and isnt allowed legally will be great thanks.

dani82
2nd November 2004, 09:32
ever red the disclaimer when a video/dvd starts to play, re-producing a media is against the law; then, why do people do it? because they bought it, and they feel it's their right to do with them, as they please (for personal, non-profit use only)

when someone purchases a dvd, they can share it with the members of the household (says the law)

somewhere within the forum, stated that: you can only make copies of movies you actually own, you can not lend/give copies out to friends or relatives, cause it will be known as a "bootleg copy"

if i said it was against the law, would you still do it? that's what i meant by morals.

you have 3 chioces:

rent - cheaper than buying (Walmart has a 1 month free trial)
borrow - get to know your neighbor (libaries carry movies now-a-day, don't they)
??? - possibly strikable if mention (don't ask)

oneunshamed
8th November 2004, 03:19
and now the question is asked.... por que!? (why)
why is it that i can make a dinner following the exact ingredients of a copywrited recipe famous in someones restraunt (should i come upon the means of obtaining the recipie) for my family, legally because its just "food" but i cannot "copy" something i payed for to redistribute in a moral way only amongst my family members that i can trust to have such the same morals (as not to replicate to others). Its obvious that i at least have some "standards" if i even care enough not to just copy and distribute in the first place.
i really wish the standards will be fully investigated and made into specific laws that arnt rediculously buttered up for companies so that people in my situation suffer. I mean seriously this is so dumb.
I refuse to break a "law" but i hope that in the next 4 years of Bush's presedency something more gets done. i really hope that if some more information is known about this type of incedent that you guys will post it as i would really like to see what other info is out there.

adam
8th November 2004, 06:13
Copyright prevents you from copying the very thing that is copyrighted. You can't copyright a recipe. Its impossible. But you can copyright the publication of that recipe, or some written description of the recipe. There is nothing preventing you from taking that recipe and using it to create the dish, just as there is nothing preventing you from taking someone's copyrighted architectual drawing and using it to build the structure. You just can't run either document through a copy machine.

Now I won't go into the morality of making an extra copy of a DVD for a family member, but I will confirm that it is indeed a violation of US copyright law.

oneunshamed
9th November 2004, 06:48
ok, so am i even allowed to make a copy for my wife even though the money for the dvd came from "my" paycheck? or vise versa? i mean for crying out loud we are married. Would it make a differance if my son contributed 5 dollars of a 20$ dvd ?... would he then be allowed to make a copy? how about 5 cents of contribution? im mean seriously. What is the boundry for that?

thank you seriously for all the replies

dani82
9th November 2004, 09:12
ok, who just ask that?

@oneunshamed

a week ago, you were a poor, bore, 21 year old college student, whom visits his' family on breaks; now you're a husband, a father with a job, and a son who is old/smart enough to copy a dvd.

i'd already explain about sharing within the household, among other things, and adam explain about copyright infirment.

---------------------------

it seems, the father is complaining for the son:

@sir (unless i'm mis-taken)

don't do that, without announcing it, it gets confusing

lets get down to it, sorry if it seems rude, either give him the dvd, let him borrow it, or forget every we said, and just do it.

adam
9th November 2004, 15:45
Ok, assuming we are only talking about US law here, this is how it works. The content on most DVDs is obviously copyrighted. The disk is sold to you with a license granting you certain rights which are pretty much limited to watching the content. Commercial DVDs are not sold under family licenses, or partner licenses, or anything else. The single person who is listed as the purchaser is the person holding the license, regardless of how many family members might chip in. This is the only person who has direct rights to even view the content. Now copyright law has imposed numerous limitations on the scope of copyright protection, and one is the general household exception. Basically, everyone in your household has a right to access and use that DVD, and you can even invite people over to watch it with you, but the key is that it is being used in that household. Making a copy and taking it to college, while your family keeps the original is a clear violation of copyright and your license, for better or worse. If your father purchases a DVD, then you legally have no ownership rights in it at all. You have rights to use that DVD, but they are limited by location (that household) or by permission (dad can let you do whatever you want with it). Your rights to use the DVD do not allow you a right to make a copy for yourself.

I hate to make nonsensical analogy, but here is some food for thought. Maybe you and your dad split the cost of a new car. While in the same location you both use it as you please. But if you go off to college you two have got to decide who is going to keep it. I don't really see how this is any different then a DVD. Simply because it is possible to copy a DVD, I don't see why that should grant you the right to copy it. You purchased one product and now you are really making it into two. This seems very different to me then making a backup copy for yourself.