PDA

View Full Version : A workaround to Cyclic redundancy error! with deamon tools?

Deacon Blues
29th October 2004, 05:29
I've been backingup a couple of DVDs lately but have just run into this problem now(the cyclic redundancy error"),

note: my DVD is clean and scrathless. It may be gaving trouble with the burner but for now, lets hope not!

well, searching these forums, I found a post that seemed to suggest a possible workaround:

it said, backup with DVDDecrypter in IFO mode and do something with them in Deamon tools.

as I went to check out what deamon tools was, I lost that window and have been unable to relocate the post.

but what I learned of deamon tools puzzled me in what connection does it have with IFO or anything DVD?

the official site (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php) states the that deamon is
DAEMON Tools is an advanced application for multiprotection emulation.

how would that help.

If there really is a way to over come the "redundancy error" that way, I would sure like enlightment.

thanks,

Trahald
29th October 2004, 13:51
daemon tools is just a virtual dvd/cd/etc software based emulator. it is only useful at the point you actually have an image on your hd. Its not for ripping from the real disk.

Deacon Blues
29th October 2004, 18:10
I didn't say anything about ripping with it,

as I said in the original post
backup with DVDDecrypter in IFO mode

but then I have to do something with the IFO files in Deamon(or so the lost post said),

and thats what I want to know. What do I do with deamon?

dannyv
29th October 2004, 18:55
Originally posted by Deacon Blues
I've been backingup a couple of DVDs lately but have just run into this problem now(the cyclic redundancy error"),

note: my DVD is clean and scrathless. It may be gaving trouble with the burner but for now, lets hope not!

well, searching these forums, I found a post that seemed to suggest a possible workaround:

it said, backup with DVDDecrypter in IFO mode and do something with them in Deamon tools.

If there really is a way to over come the "redundancy error" that way, I would sure like enlightment.

thanks,

If your getting a CRC error (Redundancy error) while trying to rip (copying the dvd to your HD). This would usually mean that the DVD is dirty, Damaged or defective. If your getting this on most or all your DVD's then most likly your DVD drive is bad or soon to go bad. Deamon tools won't do anything for you until you actually get the DVD onto the hard drive.

Have you actually tried ripping the DVD to your hard drive using dvd decryptor? If so do you get the CRC error?

Trahald
29th October 2004, 19:06
Can you provide a link to that thread please? I cant find the thread.

Basically daemon tools 'multiprotection emulation' is for cds that have fake errors on them as a form of copy protection. *oversimplification* there is no data underneath the error but the game you are playing wont function if the error isnt there... so you copy the disk around the error and daemon tools emulates the error on your error free iso . */oversimplification*

(Daemon tool exists for only copying media you have the right to copy -disclaimer)

Something like this is less likely for dvds since dvds arent equiped to 'look' for errors. there seems to be new protections comming out that use tricks that dvdplayers may be able to playback better than dvd-roms. but for the most part if there is data that cant be read off your source with dvddecryptor, nothing you do with daemon tools after will help. If you set ignore on in dvddecrypter it will eventually read through the errors but there may be errors in the output.

Deacon Blues
29th October 2004, 19:16
dannyv, have you read my post?

I did say the disk was clean, scratchless etc.

And YES I know deamon won't backup! I'm trying to backup with either DVDShrink or DVDDecrypter. Yes both give the error messages!

Can you provide a link to that thread please? I cant find the thread.

Unfortunately I can't! As I mentioned in the ORIGINAL POST!!!!
Sorry if I sound frustrated, its been a tiring day,

I lost that window and have been unable to relocate the post.

thats what I said. I lost the post and have been unable to find it again. I had first found it when doing a search for "redundancy". It appeared on the first page but when I did the search again, I coudn't find it. not even searching for deamon tools + redundancy!

Am I clear Now?

and I do understand what deamon does. Thats why I'm puzzled at why it was suggest in the workabout. Anyway, It has to do with making IFO files readable nin DVDShrink!!!!

dannyv
29th October 2004, 19:37
Originally posted by Deacon Blues
dannyv, have you read my post?

I did say the disk was clean, scratchless etc.

Yes I did read your post and I was explaining what the error means and not questioning the condition of your disks.

If you are getting the error in dvd decrypter and dvd shrink then you will most likly get it with any ripper you try to use. You say your original disks are fine then its more then likly a hardware problem and your probobly looking at purchasing a new dvd-rom reader.

Trahald
29th October 2004, 19:59
@deacon blues
please read past what we may have missed in your post and read all of ours ;)

what dannyv says is more than likely where you are stuck but as i said you can turn on ignore in dvddecrypter to possibly rip the disk to iso then run dvdshrink on that..

and ok.. your having a bad day... please try to get over it in your next reply :)

Deacon Blues
30th October 2004, 00:08
sorry, didn't mean to raise the dust there!;) no hard feelings I hope?:)

my apologies dannyv, but I already did a research on the error and know the reasons. Thats why I stated the conditions of the DVD in the first post, so as not having everyone tell me that is my prob.

New DVD Burner? I think not, I got it 2 months ago and its one of those new LG super-multi burners that supports Dual-layers. I should hope it lasts me for a far longer time. And I backedup and burned a couple DVDs just yesterday!

update:
the 2 DVDs that are giving me trouble are part of a DVD series. But, trying again, I have finally backed one up. Don't know what changed. Maybe the conditions where'nt perfect after all. But I've backed up pretty bad looking ones before! I'll keep trying with the other.

so, still no idea with deamon tools?

jippiejajee
30th October 2004, 20:28
mr Deacon blues

Think I found the post you were referring to (took me three minutes).

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62581&highlight=redundancy

A remark about DVDdevryptor and deamon tools is in the last post of this thread.
For your convienience and to assure that you can find it iI copied the text for you
--- quote --
It isn't really possible to have a new protection scheme. There are too many millions of existing DVD players that the DVD has to be compatible with.

Is VOB 3 really tiny? It seems some ripping engines (like Smart Ripper) have a problem with really small (like 80 KB) VOB files. I think the brute force cracking routines fail if there isn't enough data to support the key finding algorythm.

It didn't occur to me you might be using using DVDShrink's internal ripping routines (in other words, shrinking directly from the DVD) because I never do that.

If that's what you have been doing, try ripping the DVD to an ISO image with DVDDecrypter. If that works, you can then mount the image with daemon tools and run DVDShrink on the mounted image (and sorry about the wasted rental).

On the other hand, if DVDDecrypter reports an error, you can post a question into the Decrypting forum and maybe someone can shed light on what's going on with the disk.
---------- end quote -----

Is this the one you are referring to ?

If yes then please read it again, it merely suggest to rip the DVD with another program then DVDshrink and use Deamon tools to mount the image from that ripping process en then use DVDshrink again to do its job (shrinking only)

By the way "backup with DVDdevrypter" = ripping

;)

Deacon Blues
30th October 2004, 21:33
ya, thanks, thats the post! ;)

I know I gotta rip with decrypter,

but what does "mount the image with deamon" mean? Thats what I wanted to know!!

thanks again!

jippiejajee
30th October 2004, 23:19
An image is just a copy of the total content of the disc in a specific format. Now if you rip the DVD with dvddecrypter in iso mode you will get an iso image on your hard drive. This image you can mount with daemon tools. It will show up then as another DVD rom drive. So in fact a virtual DVD rom drive containing the content of the DVD. Now DVDshrink will see this virtual drive as a normal DVD drive and you can use it as input.

Deacon Blues
31st October 2004, 02:40
ah, now I'm beginning to see.:)

So it CAN be used as a workabout, providing the ISO files don't contain errors themselves.

I'd have tried it but i've already sent the disk for a replacement, but if it happens again, I could consider it solution, right?

Thanks jippiejajee!
:p

jippiejajee
1st November 2004, 00:00
yes, in case the iso doesn't contain error it could be used. However don't be to optimistic. As the DVD you were talking about could not be read completely the ISO will not contain all sectors from the original DVD. In case DVDdecryptor encounters a read error ,as the redundancy error, and you have set it to ignore read errors then it will continue with trying to read the next sector and will not write that sector to the hard disk, so it is missing. (I always set the number of retry read to 1 for such DVD's as it otherwise may take very long to rip the DVD, as every read attempt of a sector will take time). Anyhow in any case after some time DVDdecryptor will finalize ripping the disc(can take long if many read errors are present). The ISO on de hard drive will then contain an image which is not 100% the same as the original as some sectors are missing. Assuming not too many bad sectors were encountered you might be able to make a DVD of this iso that will work assuming the bad sectors were not in ifo files (containing the navigation information of the DVD. A few bad sectors not copied from a vob (containing the actual video) will hardly be noticed when playbacked as even 100 sectors will be less then 1 second of video. Another thing that will happen is that is that the chapters on the DVD will not start anymore on the correct points in the video. This is because some sectors were not copied the vobu pointers pointing to sectors on the disc were chapter should start will not be correct anymore (after the point were bad sectors were found and skipped). There are ways to correct this for instance the program IFOedit. But it is quite technical. (There is a post somewhere on this board from me describing how to do that, I use that method sometimes to rescue a damaged 9scratched disc). Furthermore it is quite possible that DVDshrink will correct the vobu pointers as after shrinking the vobu pointers must be corrected anyhow. Just try it.