PDA

View Full Version : stair stepping when using overlays other than vmr9

ape
14th October 2004, 04:54
Whenever I play back any type of video, I get stair stepping/jagginess on the edges. It looks as if the renderer is using nearest pixel resize/discard deinterlacing instead of bilinear resizing. This only happens if I use a renderer other than vmr9, which means that I can't play back HDTV because VMR9 is so slow. This also limits which software I can use to play back dvds (powerdvd doesn't allow you choose which renderer to use.)

I can't seem to remember when this started happening, I didnt notice it until after I installed the sasser filters for playing back HDTV, at first I thought it was only happening with those filters, but it turns out it was happening with everything I played.

I've noticed Zoom Player has a "Fix VMR9 Scaling Bug" option, but this only fixes it on VMR9, not on the other types of overlays.

I tried going back to directx 8.1, but it didn't fix anything, so I've reinstalled DX9.

Anyone got any insight into how I can fix this? Sorry for the long post, I just want to be able to watch HDTV again without jaggies :(.

happy_harry
15th October 2004, 17:55
So....
Everything is fine, until you notice this, and then.... You know. :rolleyes:
In my opinion vmr9 makes my movies blurred, so i choose stairs rather than blurring.
Luv M$.:o

ape
15th October 2004, 21:45
Originally posted by happy_harry
So....
Everything is fine, until you notice this, and then.... You know. :rolleyes:
In my opinion vmr9 makes my movies blurred, so i choose stairs rather than blurring.
Luv M$.:o
you get this too? somebody needs to stab microsoft :(

happy_harry
15th October 2004, 22:36
Originally posted by ape
you get this too?

Not just me. I've seen this anomaly on many comps, but i just don't tell anybody. Everything is just fine until you see them, then it hurts hard.

ape
15th October 2004, 22:39
Originally posted by happy_harry
Not just me. I've seen this anomaly on many comps, but i just don't tell anybody. Everything is just fine until you see them, then it hurts hard.
yeah, it makes small res videos totally unwatchable cause they look like pixelated crap.