PDA

View Full Version : Correct Backup of PAL to NTSC

Yayita
11th October 2004, 19:18
Hi Board!

I am a very happy user of the Big 3, and admitted fan of Eyes' Only and D3s7.

Searched for a FAQ about this issue and searched the board and could not find the answer. With your help I will build a guide.

What I would do, but not sure would work is to encode the film asset as normal. (The IFO says 25 fps, but film is filmed at 24 fps ??)

1) And then manually make a 2:3 pull down (with BatchCCEWS of course).
2) Manually edit the IFO to 30 fps instead of 25 fps.

Will this work?

Would it cause issues with audio sync.

Anyone has any experience doing this.

Thanks for the help!

D3s7
11th October 2004, 20:38
PAL is 25fps across the board..

if you want to convert from PAL -> NTSC you'll end up encoding your video at 23.976 then pulldown to 29.97

unfortunatly, you'll need to manually re-encode your audio as well from PAL->NTSC (besweet can do this for you)

third strike, the ifo times for cell is based off 25fps.. this info will need to be converted to 30fps (29.97)

fourth, subtitle times need to be converted.. not sure if subresync can do conversion or not.

I may create an option in ScenAid to do this but probably won't be for awhile before it happens

Matthew
19th October 2004, 05:41
Originally posted by D3s7
fourth, subtitle times need to be converted.. not sure if subresync can do conversion or not.

No, it can't =( The sst(s) have to be converted after extraction. I didn't see any app that did it, so figured it out myself, and well, a pain in the backside to say the least.

The other thing is that the subtitle bitmaps need to be resized or cropped. Neither result is lossless, resizing results in some jaginess and cropping results in bad AR for the subs. There's OCR of course, but that has it's own joys.

Then of course there are the menus...