PDA

View Full Version : How can i open a .rawsub file?

Pabloz
5th October 2004, 10:43
i have just ripped a dvd with smartripper
and the subtitle file has a .rawsub extension

does anyone know how to open it or rip it?

niamh
5th October 2004, 13:32
As far as I know, you can't.
Use vobsub configure(in the vobsub package) to get the idx off the IFO file,or use subrip (instead of, or after vobsub, if you want a text subtitle instead of a idx/sub bitmap subtitle)

Katie Boundary
5th March 2015, 08:42
I'm planning to mix the subtitles from the Platinum release of Evangelion with video from the Renewal set (ADV stupidly took the progressive remastered footage from Renewal and hard-telecined it for Platinum), and I'm wondering if any programs have been made in the past 10 years to fix the .rawsub situation or if people are still dicking around with index and .ifo files?

Also, it's been like a decade since I last did anything involving subtitles, and I've completely forgotten the process by which the original subtitle bitmaps could be extracted from the VOB files and burned straight into the video stream. I seem to recall a Virtualdub filter being involved. Could anyone refresh my memory?

EDIT: the vobsub installer is being a bitch and telling me "Error C:\vdub32 is not a valid path for Virtualdub". WTF?

Ghitulescu
5th March 2015, 10:07
In a time when 99.99% of all players (including PCs and Macs with adequate software) support switchable subs, be they muxed inside a container or, more likely, as external text - to have them hardsubbed (hard, burned in etc.) is a huge step back. And indeed, the threads may be dated ninety-something or close to 2000.

I never used SR to get rawsubs, because even then there were better sub extracters.

Katie Boundary
5th March 2015, 10:56
In a time when 99.99% of all players (including PCs and Macs with adequate software) support switchable subs, be they muxed inside a container or, more likely, as external text - to have them hardsubbed (hard, burned in etc.) is a huge step back.

Not if someone wants to cut out all the flashbacks and splice them together in chronological order.

EDIT: well this is great. The .sub and .idx files from episode 1 only give me subs for the first half of the episode, and VSrip isn't producing sub or idx files for episode 2 AT ALL, though it puts on a good show of pretending to.

Ghitulescu
5th March 2015, 13:12
There are good cutters that may cut a container (VOB in your case) while preserving the timing - dvdshrink is one of them :) wherein the granularity is set by the VOBU/GOP.

Katie Boundary
5th March 2015, 18:04
Can we please focus on the question at hand?

Ghitulescu
5th March 2015, 20:07
Yes...

if one has the originals, s/he can rip the subtitles with other tools than a forgotten software. Not a big deal.

Katie Boundary
5th March 2015, 21:10
That doesn't answer anybody's question...

Katie Boundary
6th March 2015, 00:21
Oh, now I see what happened. When I demuxed the subtitle streams as separate files, I created subtitle-free VOBs!

Doesn't explain why episode 1 is acting wonky, but oh well.

EDIT: yep, vobsib/vbrip method is working flawlessly now, even for episode 1. So this just leaves the question: in the past 10 years, has anyone written a program that can digest .rawsub files?

Ghitulescu
6th March 2015, 19:26
That doesn't answer anybody's question...

Then wait another decade (sorry, 11 years to be more precise) for another "no answer" :) :)