PDA

View Full Version : Which one to use? Vobblanker, Titlesetblanker, PGCEdit?

jeanl
21st September 2004, 17:55
Guys,
I'm somewhat of a newbie, but I've been reading the threads on this forum with excitement (and amazement at how much expertise there is in the forum). To a newbie like myself it's a bit hard to see the big picture in the jungle of tools and guides.
For example, if I want to perform a simple task like removing FBI warnings and previews that play before the main menu comes up, I have a choice of many (free and great) tools (and I'm probably missing a few):
- Vobblanker
- Titlesetblanker
- PgcEdit
- IFOEdit
- DVDStripper

I've experimented with a few of them, and I've noticed that some are fast (Titlesetblanker, vobblanker in some cases, PGCEdit) because they don't do anything to the Vobs, but can't handle everything (can vobblanker remove warnings that are in the VMG?), others are slow (rewriting all the files) but very flexible (DVDStripper). But I'm still not sure which one is more appropriate in which situation.

It would be absolutely great if you experts could outline the relative merits of each of these programs, so newbies like me can get a better sense of when to use which, for a given task (say, removing unwanted material, which seems to be one of the things a lot of people are interested in).

I realize I may be asking too much though :). Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, and also thanks for the great guides!
Jean

jsoto
21st September 2004, 19:25
Seems this question should be answered by a "neutral" person, he,he... but, If I were you, I will try all of them...

As a personal recommendation, explore all IFOEdit capabilities. It has a lot.

jsoto

jeanl
21st September 2004, 21:03
Well, I have tried them all (almost all of them, except PgcEdit) on a few DVDs (not that many unfortunately), but I'm not expert enough to make definitive statements about what they can and can't do. Here's what I've found so far. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll edit the post.

IFOEdit:
+ : Very flexible, fast, fun to play with :)
- : Requires considerable expertise. Definitely not foolproof

TitlesetBlanker:
+ : Very easy to use. Fast. Can process VMG, VTS and menus.
- : Can only blank a whole titleset/menu.

VobBlanker:
+ : Easy to use, flexible, fast if done the right way. Can blank individual titles, even individual cells. Can preview titles/cells.
- : Can't blank titles in the VMG (or can it?). EDITED: Oops, there are no titles in VMG, so there. But it can blank menus PGC in VMG.

DVDStripper:
+ : Easy to use, flexible, can split DVD-9 into 2 DVD-R with menus!
- : Slow (always processes VOB files). Must start from a disc (always uses DVD Stripper).

So far, my favorite way of removing unwanted warnings, trailers etc is to use DVDPlay in IFOEdit to see where these annoying clips reside, then try TitlesetBlanker first (it's fast, has the "backup" option which makes it super easy to revert if something went wrong), then if that fails use VobBlanker (a little bit more intricate and you've got to be careful what to select if you don't want to touch VOB files).
But it's still a matter of trial and error. I wish I knew for sure which one to use based on what I see in IFOEdit.

In any case, thank you guys for these *great* tools, and kudos for decrypting the overwhelmingly complex structure of DVD.

Jean

jsoto
21st September 2004, 21:21
Good analisys.
Don't forget PgcEdit. It is the best of them for playing with commands.

About VobBlanker
Can blank individual titles, even individual cells ? Can preview titles/cells. Yes, it can blank individual cells in menus and/or titles. Also able to cut titles (not menus)

Can't blank titles in the VMG (or can it?). It is also able to blank/delete menus PGCs in VMG. (There cannot be titles in VMG)

jsoto

jeanl
21st September 2004, 21:58
It is also able to blank/delete menus PGCs in VMG. (There cannot be titles in VMG)
Oops, my mistake. That's good. I've edited my previous post to correct the mistake.
Thanks
Jeanl

DMagic1
22nd September 2004, 07:10
For me....
#1 tool IFOEdit
#2 tool VobBlanker

All of the tools in the topic are great, but these are the two I use most.

jeanl
22nd September 2004, 08:34
Ok, I made more experiments last night, with various DVDs, trying to remove everything that plays before you get to the main menu (FBI warnings, previews, logos etc). I mainly tried Vobblanker and TitlesetBlanker. My goal was always to find a fast way to blank them (say, less than 10s of processing). Both Vobblanker and Titlesetblanker can do it, which is why I mainly experimented with them.
At this point I understand better how each tool works, but there are still some shady areas, so maybe someone can help me with that.

** Blanking menu PGCs?

- a) Many many times, FBI warnings reside in the VGM (VIDEO_TS.VOB). However, Vobblanker never shows any PGC in VIDEO_TS.VOB (there nothing in the bottom pane), so you can't right click and select blank. I found that even if you process VIDEO_TS.VOB, with all the options enabled, the warnings don't disappear. By contrast, Titlesetblanker does just fine in that case, as long as you check "video Manager" at the top. Jsoto, is that intentional, or am I doing something wrong?

- b) In some cases, the warnings are in a titleset menu, for example VTS_2_0.VOB. In such cases, I wasn't able to make Vobblanker remove them (again, it does not look like menus are actually processed). Titlesetblanker did fine in that case (as long as you select the right titleset menu on the right pane).

- c) In many cases, the warnings/previews are in regular VTS (not TitleSet menus), and there Vobblanker does just fine (as does Titlesetblanker).

=> It seems that I can't make Vobblanker blank menus PGCs, jsoto says it can, so I must be doing something wrong, but what?

** Finding out what's playing and when?
- Is there a soft DVD player out there that really tells you what's playing (while it is playing)? IFOEdit "PlayDVD" is close but not quite there: You find out after the fact which title in which titleset was played, but it does not seem to tell you if a Titleset menu PGC played (case b) above). For example, in Spy Kids 3D Disc 2, the FBI warning is in VTS_02_0.VOB, but IFOEdit PlayDVD does not mention TitleSet 2 at all. You can't find the FBI warnings in Vobblanker's preview either because it does not seem possible to preview menu PGCs. Titlesetblanker does have any preview at all. My solution so far has been to drag/drop each VOB into PowerDVD, but that's a bit tedious!!!

Finally, a note on usability. There's one thing that's really cool with titlesetblanker, it's the backup/restore buttons. Jsoto, it'd be great if you implemented something like that (where you don't write the whole DVD to another folder, rather you rename soon-to-be-modified files in the same folder (instantaneous!), and create new ones in the same folder. This saves you the juggling of creating the new files into a second folder, then copying back into the first folder(making sure you made backup copies in a third folder!). Titlesetblanker gives you the option of reverting to the backup if you screwed up, or removing the backup files if you're sure your results are good. This is immensly convenient (and greatly speeds up the trial-error process of blanking stuff).

Ok sorry about the long post, and apologies if some of the stuff above makes no sense, I'm very much a newbie here! And again many thanks for these awesome tools (jsoto, Vobblanker seems much more powerful than titlesetblanker -I've used the cell-blanking feature, and that's neat- but at this point I find that titlesetblanker does a better job in most simple cases, but that might be my inexperience).

Jean

jsoto
22nd September 2004, 17:22
@jeanl
Menu support has been included in VobBlanker 1.5, currently in beta version. Seems you are using 1.4 (which does not support menus). VIDEO_TS.VOB is a menu VOB, so blanking inside it is supported from 1.5. You have to select "menu" (specific button or right_click in VTS area)

it's the backup/restore buttons. Jsoto, it'd be great if you implemented something like that (where you don't write the whole DVD to another folder, Sorry, but this is not in my TODO list. VobBlanker works VTS per VTS. You can select only one VTS to process (and if you blanks it completely, it is really fast). You can also change (Ctrl-X plus Ctrl-V) the processed VTS in the original folder. But all this "operations" are manual. Reasons to do not automate them:
1) VobBlanker never modifies the "originals", so there is no need of a "backup".
2) Using Windows Cut & paste is not so difficult.
3) The "backup folder" can be in the same logical device (fast cut & paste, slow processing) or in different physical device (slow cut & paste, fast processing), so, IMHO, a manual selection of what to do will be always more optimal and flexible, and you can also take into account 4)
4) The amount of data to be rewritten by VobBlanker can be very few bytes (blankiing a complete VTS) or a lot of them (blanking a small PGC in a big VOB).

jsoto

jeanl
22nd September 2004, 18:37
Ok jsoto, thanks a bunch for the reply. I'm glad to hear that the next version of Vobblanker will also do menu vobs, then VobBlanker will truly be a superset of TitlesetBlanker! I didn't know that you could change the files in the original folder, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks.
Jean

windtrader
22nd September 2004, 20:21
Jean,

Not to make the forest any larger, but you may want to look at a couple of other tools that I find quite useful.

CloneDVD2 by Elaborate Bytes has great ability to selectively keep all or parts of the menu structure as well as eliminate the small annoying bits that precede the movie.

DVDShrink is another great tool that allows you to selectively chop up even parts of the movie. Sometimes those annoying bits are part of the movie, so you need a tool that can edit part of a title vob.

CloneDVD2 is not free but DVDShrink is.

jeanl
22nd September 2004, 21:55
Thanks windtrader, I use DVDShrink very extensively, but it won't get rid of the annoying bits, unless you're in reauthor mode in which case you lose the menus, same old song. So you do need another tool on top of it (unless you don't find the warnings/previews too annoying, I realize I'm nitpicking here!).
I never tried CloneDVD2, as you said it's not free and I was trying to focus on free tools for now. One major free tool I've been missing is PgcEdit, which I hear is also really powerful.
For now, my favorite tool remains titlesetblanker for the vast majority of cases where the annoying bits are in their own titleset or titleset menus, or video manager, because it's lightning fast and has the nifty backup/restore feature. In the cases where you also need to blank only parts of a titleset, then Vobblanker does the trick (version 1.5, currently in beta, which can process menu vobs).

In any case, I'm immensely grateful to all the guys who wrote and gave away these tools, and also provide insights in these forums.
Jean

r0lZ
23rd September 2004, 10:06
One major free tool I've been missing is PgcEdit, which I hear is also really powerful.PgcEdit is not designed to trim out unwanted parts, but has the options to kill playback (disable playback but don't remove the VOB), and to blank out a titleset (remove the whole menu or title VOBs, like TitlesetBlanker, also with optional backup).

The main purpose of PgcEdit is the PGC commands edition, to be able to change the navigation flow of the DVD, for example to go directly to the main movie instead of the menu.

jeanl
23rd September 2004, 16:57
r0lZ

The main purpose of PgcEdit is the PGC commands edition, to be able to change the navigation flow of the DVD, for example to go directly to the main movie instead of the menu

Yes, I see that! As a matter of fact, I spent 2-3 hours playing with PgcEdit last night. I really like the insight it gives you into how the DVD is actually played (i.e. how you jump from one place to the next). I used it to bypass an aspect ratio menu and it worked like a charm! I'm very impressed, and I also like the "see menu button" option which makes it easier to find which menu controls what (that's if you don't have the registered version of MenuEdit I guess).

But no matter what you try to do, the most difficult task is finding what you're looking for: where's the FBI warning, where are the trailers, where's the menu you want to bypass?
Vobblanker and PgcEdit both help a lot (with the cell preview and the menu button display), but what would really help would be something like "Play DVD" in IFOEdit, where the DVD is played back normally, with real-time info to tell you exactly where you are: VMG? VTS menu? Menu#? VTS? Title#? down to the actual PGC number or even cell number if possible! Imagine how easy it would make the whole process! Currently, IFOEdit PlayDVD only tells you the VTS and titles you visited, after you exit, and *not* in the order in which you visited them (and it won't mention VTS menus).

3 questions:
- Do you know if there's a DVD app out there that can actually gives you this level of detail in real-time?
- If not, how hard would it be to put something like that in PgcEdit?
- If that's too involved, how hard would it be to make it so we can "execute" the commands (i.e., follow the program flow as a DVD player would). I'm guessing you'd need a virtual dvd engine, that might be a lot of work :(.

In any case, congrats for this great powerful app. I realize I'm only scratching the surface, but I already love the tool! :) And thanks for making it available as a donationware...

Jean

r0lZ
23rd September 2004, 17:42
- Do you know if there's a DVD app out there that can actually gives you this level of detail in real-time?A good attempt is Mark's Tray DVD Player Pro (freeware). However, it is DirectX based, and DirectX do most of the work silently, so it's impossible to display the level of details you want.

- If not, how hard would it be to put something like that in PgcEdit?Verry hard, for a poor result. And remember PgcEdit is written in Tcl/Tk, and is therefore not really suitable for DirectX calls.

- If that's too involved, how hard would it be to make it so we can "execute" the commands (i.e., follow the program flow as a DVD player would). I'm guessing you'd need a virtual dvd engine, that might be a lot of work .It's a lot of work! Thrust me: I am currently trying to write a Trace function for PgcEdit. The function will not display the video, but will allow to execute all commands step by step, watching the register changes. But that's verry difficult: I must write the DVD virtual engine, but I don't even know how to handle some situations, because of the lack of a complete DVD documentation. I still have months of work before a working release :(

In any case, congrats for this great powerful app. I realize I'm only scratching the surface, but I already love the tool! And thanks for making it available as a donationware...Thanks! BTW, PgcEdit is freeware and open source... although I may change to donationware in the future.

jeanl
23rd September 2004, 18:16
A good attempt is Mark's Tray DVD Player Pro (freeware). However, it is DirectX based, and DirectX do most of the work silently, so it's impossible to display the level of details you want.
Do you mean to say that DirectX handles the complete DVD playback? (it's got a virtual engine?).
Verry hard, for a poor result. And remember PgcEdit is written in Tcl/Tk, and is therefore not really suitable for DirectX calls.
yes I forgot the Tcl/Tk issue!!
It's a lot of work! Thrust me: I am currently trying to write a Trace function for PgcEdit. The function will not display the video, but will allow to execute all commands step by step, watching the register changes. But that's verry difficult: I must write the DVD virtual engine, but I don't even know how to handle some situations, because of the lack of a complete DVD documentation. I still have months of work before a working release
Your "Trace" function is exactly what I had in mind! No video but you get the normal program flow. I was afraid it would be really hard to code :( the DVD specs is a real jungle, I wonder who came up with that! Also, what do you do when you get to a menu and you need user-input? Would you display the menu button and let the user select?

In any case, good luck, I'm having lots of fun (and great results) with PgdEdit as it is!
Jean

r0lZ
23rd September 2004, 18:45
Do you mean to say that DirectX handles the complete DVD playback? (it's got a virtual engine?).Not exactly. DirectX uses the DirectX filters, installed with your software DVD player.

Also, what do you do when you get to a menu and you need user-input? Would you display the menu button and let the user select?Yes. Exactly.

jeanl
23rd September 2004, 19:22
Not exactly. DirectX uses the DirectX filters, installed with your software DVD player.
Ok if I understand you correctly, DirectX is used for the rendering, but somebody has to write the DVD virtual engine that feeds the right material to the directX filters, right? In that case, it shouldn't be too hard to provide info about what's playing at any given time :confused:? In any case, it appears that's not for PgcEdit to do...
Another question: do you know if any of the many existing reauthoring tools (DVDRemake, DVDRebuilder, DVD2One, ConeDVD2 etc) have the capability of letting you step through the DVD "program flow" (the "Trace" function you're implementing)?

Jean

r0lZ
23rd September 2004, 19:42
Ok if I understand you correctly, DirectX is used for the rendering, but somebody has to write the DVD virtual engine that feeds the right material to the directX filters, right? In that case, it shouldn't be too hard to provide info about what's playing at any given time ? In any case, it appears that's not for PgcEdit to do...The DVD navigation is also done with a DirectX filter. The filter typically sends messages like the title and chapters numbers, not much more...
See the Mark's Tray DVD Player thread on MMBForums (http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6464) for more infos on this (and some bad mood of mine :o)

Another question: do you know if any of the many existing reauthoring tools (DVDRemake, DVDRebuilder, DVD2One, ConeDVD2 etc) have the capability of letting you step through the DVD "program flow" (the "Trace" function you're implementing)?DVDRemake Pro has a command editor, but no trace.
And MenuEdit (registered) has a command editor for menu buttons. BTW, it is also a good previewer to find out the VOB and Cell IDs.

jeanl
23rd September 2004, 20:21
r0lZ,
Thanks for the thread pointer! Very interesting! Now I understand better why it's not that easy to get a "tracing" soft player (somewhat of a dream, right?). I noticed in the thread that Derrow supposedly wrote his one navigator in IFOEdit. Do you think we could get the IFOEdit guys (whoever it is now) to add this "trace" feature we're talking about?
Jean

voo_doo99
23rd September 2004, 20:33
Originally posted by r0lZ
It's a lot of work! Thrust me: I am currently trying to write a Trace function for PgcEdit. The function will not display the video, but will allow to execute all commands step by step, watching the register changes. But that's verry difficult: I must write the DVD virtual engine, but I don't even know how to handle some situations, because of the lack of a complete DVD documentation. I still have months of work before a working release :(

I like your ambition. :D
But for short term, is it possibly easier to implement a "Play DVD" function to verify the command script changes, without having to leave PgcEdit? :)

jeanl
23rd September 2004, 20:41
@r0lZ

:( DVD Tray Player is no longer available, and Mark can't tell when the next release will be out... Too bad.
Jean

voo_doo99
23rd September 2004, 20:49
Originally posted by jeanl
r0lZ,
Thanks for the thread pointer! Very interesting! Now I understand better why it's not that easy to get a "tracing" soft player (somewhat of a dream, right?). I noticed in the thread that Derrow supposedly wrote his one navigator in IFOEdit. Do you think we could get the IFOEdit guys (whoever it is now) to add this "trace" feature we're talking about?
Jean

Yes, we can dream, cant we? :p
Consider yourself lucky. Over a year ago, all I had was IFOedit and thanksfully 2COOL guides. :)

jeanl
23rd September 2004, 21:35
Consider yourself lucky. Over a year ago, all I had was IFOedit and thanksfully 2COOL guides.
I know! I'm very thankful to these guys who coded these apps (titlesetblanker, Vobblanker, PgcEdit)! I've read 2COOL guides too, and I'm very happy things have become much much easier now. But you know how lazy people are, always asking for improvements ;)

Given these powerful "new" tools (well, less than 1 year old), it might be time for a new set of guides for common tasks (getting rid of unwanted stuff, bypassing menus, forcing subtitles), including which app to use in which scenario. I'm too much of a newbie to write such a guide at this point, but it sure would be useful!

Jean

2COOL
23rd September 2004, 21:52
Given these powerful "new" tools (well, less than 1 year old), it might be time for a new set of guides for common tasks (getting rid of unwanted stuff, bypassing menus, forcing subtitles), including which app to use in which scenario. I'm too much of a newbie to write such a guide at this point, but it sure would be useful!I have been contemplating on revamping my guides to adjust to current tools now automating them. I have always desired to, at least, convert them into html guides with snapshots but making guides and trying to explain steps on a newbie level can be very time consuming and tiring at times. I rarely have time to back up my DVDs anymore as I have been keeping myself busy helping other people here, beta testing tools, finding and documenting new methods, etc. In addition, I have family and work priorities to tend too. At the end of the day, I really enjoy this challenge. What I mainly strive for is coming up with guides that use only free tools as I am aware some people are strapped financially or without credit cards. ;)

jeanl
23rd September 2004, 22:05
2COOL good to hear from you!
I can't believe you've found the time to help so many people with their specific problems over the past year(s)! I want to join the crowd of people saying THANKS! I always enjoy your posts for their insight. Every time I re-read them, I understand something more that the previous time!
Hey, if it's any help, I'd be glad to help you write a new set of guides (I don't mean technical help, of course :)) . I have a day job + family life too, but I can spare a few cycles here and there! Maybe other people would be willing to contribute time too.
I like your idea of focusing on free tools, although I think it's better to refer to them as donationware whenever they are.

In any case, keep it up man!
Jean

erdoke
23rd September 2004, 22:28
@r0lZ

:( DVD Tray Player is no longer available, and Mark can't tell when the next release will be out... Too bad.
Jean

I've found this link in another thread from the same forum:
http://www.havank.demon.nl/video/files/DVDTrayPlayerPro199a.ZIP

jeanl
23rd September 2004, 22:39
Thanks erdoke
the link worked! I'm in business! :)

2COOL
24th September 2004, 03:48
I always enjoy your posts for their insight. Every time I re-read them, I understand something more that the previous time!Thanks for the compliments! :D It's comments like these that gives me justification on my voluntary community service.
Hey, if it's any help, I'd be glad to help you write a new set of guides (I don't mean technical help, of course :)) . I have a day job + family life too, but I can spare a few cycles here and there! Maybe other people would be willing to contribute time too.Thanks for the offer but I like to have a personal touch on how my html guides will be laid out when I ever get around to do them.

BTW, I recommend you Enable Private Messaging and Pop up a box when you receive a Private Message in case someone wants to send you an important message. ;)

jeanl
24th September 2004, 04:09
Thanks for the offer but I like to have a personal touch on how my html guides will be laid out when I ever get around to do them.
I understand, that's also why we like these guides, the personal touch ;) I'll just test-drive them then!

I'll adjust my settings, thanks for reminding me!
Jean

r0lZ
24th September 2004, 06:55
@voo_doo99
But for short term, is it possibly easier to implement a "Play DVD" function to verify the command script changes, without having to leave PgcEdit?
It is possible to configure almost any player in the Tools menu of PgcEdit, so you will have only a function key to press to have the DVD play. The only requirement is that the player must have command line arguments able to launch the DVD playback. Unfortunately, both WinDVD and PowerDVD are lacking the command line interface.

For example, here is the setup I use to launch Windows Media Player:
Label: Windows Media Player
Application: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
Arguments: "%p\VIDEO_TS.IFO"
Working folder: %p
Save DVD before launching tool: ON
Run Application in background: ON

Also, a good player for this usage is Zoom Player Pro (http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/).

Of course, you can launch IfoEdit the same way. This is the setup to automatically load the current IFO file in IfoEdit:
Label: IfoEdit
Application: C:\Program Files\IfoEdit\IfoEdit.exe
Arguments: "%p\%i"
Ask confirmation before launching tool: optional
Iconify PgcEdit when application is running: ON
Reopen DVD in PgcEdit after application is closed: ON

Configured this way, you will be able to use IfoEdit as an 'external function' of PgcEdit: when you call the tool, PgcEdit saves the DVD if needed, is iconified, and IfoEdit is launched with the current IFO. You may edit whatever you want, play the DVD, or Get VTS Sectors to load all IFOs if you need them. When you close IfoEdit, PgcEdit reloads the DVD, and pops up.

r0lZ
24th September 2004, 07:01
@jeanl
I noticed in the thread that Derrow supposedly wrote his one navigator in IFOEdit. Do you think we could get the IFOEdit guys (whoever it is now) to add this "trace" feature we're talking about?
I'm not sure Derrow wrote the navigator. It is unable to display where the play really is when in a menu domain. Seems to be a DirectX limitation. And IfoEdit's development is not too active at this moment. Ask Derrow...

voo_doo99
24th September 2004, 14:54
Originally posted by r0lZ
@voo_doo99

Of course, you can launch IfoEdit the same way. This is the setup to automatically load the current IFO file in IfoEdit:
Label: IfoEdit
Application: C:\Program Files\IfoEdit\IfoEdit.exe
Arguments: "%p\%i"
Ask confirmation before launching tool: optional
Iconify PgcEdit when application is running: ON
Reopen DVD in PgcEdit after application is closed: ON

Configured this way, you will be able to use IfoEdit as an 'external function' of PgcEdit: when you call the tool, PgcEdit saves the DVD if needed, is iconified, and IfoEdit is launched with the current IFO. You may edit whatever you want, play the DVD, or Get VTS Sectors to load all IFOs if you need them. When you close IfoEdit, PgcEdit reloads the DVD, and pops up.

Thank you for the neat integration tip with IFOedit, I will check out the synergy. :)

P.S. You have many answers, doctor. :) I always have a little problem playing DVD in IFOedit. The video would stutter and cough for the first 30 seconds before settling down with the graphics card I have, ATI Radeon 8500DV. Do you have a tip for this?. :p

r0lZ
24th September 2004, 15:01
P.S. You have many answers, doctor. I always have a little problem playing DVD in IFOedit. The video would stutter and cough for the first 30 seconds before settling down with the graphics card I have, ATI Radeon 8500DV. Do you have a tip for this?No, sorry...

jeanl
24th September 2004, 23:32
@r0lZ,
In a previous post, you said that your "Trace" function would be very complicated to implement. I've been thinking about it, and I don't see what is complicated about it :confused:. Can you elaborate? I'm probably missing something :). I figured that "all you have to do" (!) is interpret the commands as they come, jump where you need, and keep track of registers. Since you're not doing any real video playback, I'm missing what's tricky here... It looks like you already have everything you need in PgcEdit (for example, PgcEdit highlights a target when you click on a jump command)...

Also, is there a way to jump to the target when clicking on a jump command (instead of just highlighting it)? This would make it possible to reproduce the program flow "by hand". Did I miss that option?

Again, I don't doubt your judgement! I'm wondering what I'm missing!

Jean

r0lZ
25th September 2004, 11:26
The Trace is not so simple. Of course, following a simple call/jump/link is easy.

But there are more difficult situations: rsm, for example, doesn't highlight any target, because the real target is set by the previous call. The trace must therefore remember the 'resume cell' of the last executed call. And it's not easy to know what a player is supposed to do when a rsm is encountered before the first call.

Also, when 'playing' a program, any cell must be 'played' (actually, simulated), and the cell command executed, if any.

And the user interactions with the remote must be simulated also: this means that the flow may be interrupted at any point, and eventually resumed later.

And the correct behavior of some commands are highly related to the player configuration (like zone, preferred language, parental control, etc...)

As you said, the DVD specs is a jungle :(

Also, is there a way to jump to the target when clicking on a jump command (instead of just highlighting it)? This would make it possible to reproduce the program flow "by hand". Did I miss that option?Yes, it is possible. Use the 'Jump to Target' function (available in the 'Edit' menu, the popup menu, Ctrl-J and the middle mouse button).

jeanl
25th September 2004, 17:20
Yes, I understand now. It's definitely more complicated that I imagined. I do hope you figure it out though!
Thanks for the jump tip, after I wrote my post I discovered that you can just CTRL-click on the jump command and you jump right there. You thought of everything :) it really feels as if I had written this program myself (I mean, it's got all the shortcuts I want, and they're exactly what I would expect!).

Many many many thanks.
Jean