PDA

View Full Version : dual Opterons

jarthel
16th September 2004, 11:26
I'm seriously thinking getting a dual Opteron setup if there is huge significant performance increase over a P4 3.4Ghz.

Does anyone has a Dual opteron setup and would like to give me feedback?

Thanks

ps. This may be the wrong section to post it but I feel that posting it here will ensure that those using Big 3 and possibly having a dual opteron can read it. :)

influenza
17th September 2004, 08:33
There's a thread in the CCE forum regarding a speedtest. There's also talk about dual processor setups. I suggest you read it and maybe ask there again ;)

I assume you mean CCE performance anyway, since that takes most of the time. I don't think you will gain much from a dual processor setup in either the demuxing or remuxing stage.

jarthel
17th September 2004, 09:37
what cce forums? official support forums from the makers of CCE?

influenza
17th September 2004, 09:39
Ehm sorry, the encoding forum of the doom9 forum ;)

Sir Integral Hellsing
26th September 2004, 19:05
You will only be able to encode with one CPU at a time. You can do several things at the same time, like encoding the video and audio or encoding two movies at a time. But you can't encode one movie twise as fast. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

hendrix
1st October 2004, 14:41
Originally posted by Sir Integral Hellsing
You will only be able to encode with one CPU at a time. You can do several things at the same time, like encoding the video and audio or encoding two movies at a time. But you can't encode one movie twise as fast. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
you are corrected...CCE supports dual processors, avisynth does not so if youre frameserving with avisynth that will be your bottleneck

shoarthing
5th October 2004, 14:40
Hi - IME dual 2.4GHz Opterons using CCE-SP 2.67x encode typical PAL source with typical output settings at around or just under 4x realtime.

jarthel
11th October 2004, 02:12
shoarthing: are you using big 3?

shoarthing
11th October 2004, 09:17
yes - system is an Iwill DK8N, 2GB 2-3-2-6, 2x Opteron 250

jarthel
11th October 2004, 10:44
Originally posted by shoarthing
yes - system is an Iwill DK8N, 2GB 2-3-2-6, 2x Opteron 250

I forgot to ask what is the filter chain you're using. :)

4x is alot of speed if there are some extra filters in the avs file. :D This might just give me more than enough reason to go dual Opteron

shoarthing
11th October 2004, 12:18
PAL source as stated above: you normally don't have to decomb & I prefer not to faff about with avisynth filters unless forced.

Speed is roughly 140% dual AthlonMP [Barton] at same GHz; anecdotally, Xeons at around 3.4GHz would be as quick as the Opterons.