PDA

View Full Version : Added subtitles problems on standalone

krypton22
9th September 2004, 12:19
Sorry if it's been discussed already, search brought up only this one (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81599), which remained unanswered. I added a new subtitle to a DVD movie - the new subtitles were a simple translation so the timings were exactly the same as in original. After checking it in SRT2SUP for wrong size I burned it to a DVDR. Now it shows perfectly alright when played on a computer, but it skips some lines when played on a standalone while the original shows okay. What could possibly be the issue?

castellanos
9th September 2004, 12:40
Hi. It has been a tipical problem. I had ones, a back up with my own subtitles, that after 10 minutes, the subtitles just disapeared and came back after 5 min.
I think, it is a problem of the standalone it self, if you have an old modell, you could have problems with DVD+/-R or even subtitles.
Wich one is yours?
Greetings! :)

TomSem
9th September 2004, 14:39
try subtitlecreator
it's a substitute for srt2sup but much faster.
works great.

krypton22
9th September 2004, 19:41
hmmmmm, I got a portable dvd player. Whats the exact difference between the original and the added subtitles though? I dont see any.

castellanos
9th September 2004, 22:53
I am not sure it has something to do with "the way" to make the subs (I mean: Srt2Sup or Subtitle Creator) I think it is more related with the new remux you did with IfoEdit, not all the standalones are compatible with that, specially the old ones. Another problem could be wich media you used DVD-R or DVD+R, in this case, I would recomend DVD+R, it is more standard. May be a firmware update could be also a good solution, is it possible to do that in your standalone?
Greetings! :)

TomSem
10th September 2004, 06:26
i'm certain its a bug in srt2sup.
I ve added about 10 subs by now and every palyer i tested have troubles with it. Subs dissapearing for 5 mins. But with subtitlecreator and ifoedit , no problems anymore.
Just give it a try , much faster than srt2sup !

tommy

krypton22
10th September 2004, 06:47
cheers guys, Ima give it a go

krypton22
23rd September 2004, 20:59
well whadya know, tried subtitlecreator (neat soft btw) but the problems persist. it did get better, but some subs are still missing - different lines than before though. weird.

smiller667
24th September 2004, 08:24
There is also the dvdsuptools suite (commandline, they take a microdvd-like script format). Also have a look how dvd2svcd muxes subs when using dvdauthor - I think it is spumux. You can also try the sub2sup route - create a vobsub as described in the sticky at the top of this forum & convert to sup.

Personally, I haven't experienced problems with srt2sup & ifoedit, but I am doing mostly PAL discs. Which onses are you doing? To find out if it is the muxing step in ifoedit (as suggested by castellanos), try rejig for muxing (requires lots of space for temp files).