PDA

View Full Version : most recent DVD to miniDVD guides

dsantamassino
4th September 2004, 14:45
hi everyone,

Where can i find the most recent DVD to miniDVD conversion guides?? I searched over and over again in google and i found instructions but the instructions i found was either out dated, using older versions of programs, the programs aren't freeware or the programs aren't no longer being sold. Can anyone help me find the most updated recent conversion guide?? The guide on this forum is out dated using older versions and the software isn't sold anymore. On Afonic DVD guides. Their using DVD Shrink 3.0 beta 5 and now were at 3.2 or something. Please reply back ASAP. thanx everyone..

jorel
5th September 2004, 00:19
how i do (when i do mini dvds):
45 minutes max for 1 cdr 700mb, cut parts in time using dvdshrink if needed
dvd2dvd(adjust Roba=1100 size)

dvd rip tab: use internal routines

misc tab:
check-->don't delete any files
input file type=dvd
output file type=dvd

encoder tab: CCE(best) or tmpgenc2.5x
(i never did with Quenc but will work very fine)

audio tab: don't convert audio(is my choice)or select the bitrate that you want for mp2

cd image tab: dvd author

frameserver tab: edit as part of video encode
*hint: you can choose resize to cvd(352x480/576), is dvd compliant

run!
when d2s open the script before encode use:

Undot()
Asharp(1,2)# is optional but i like too much
BilinearResize(352,480)# you will got it if cvd was choosed
Deen()

wait d2s end the job.
you have now the "DVD-Files" folder and
choose one of this options:

without menu:
open the DVD-Files folder in dvdshrink and adjust the size to 701Mb! (use deep analysis)
take the result and burn!

with menu:
open the DVD-Files folder in tmpgencdvdauthor and build menus.
open the result from tmpgencdvdauthor in dvdshrink and adjust the size to 701Mb! (use deep analysis)

using as source cartoon 4:3 NTSC with 00h 48m 54s 15frames ,audio AC3-2Ch
scene from dvd source resized 49% (changed to 353x480):
http://img80.exs.cx/img80/3329/3pvob49.jpg

same scene from mini-dvd from d2d with CCE (result 352x480):
http://img80.exs.cx/img80/5879/3pcce.jpg

not so bad for that source! ;)

dsantamassino
5th September 2004, 00:26
Originally posted by jorel
how i do (when i do mini dvds):
45 minutes max for 1 cdr 700mb, cut parts in time using dvdshrink if needed
dvd2dvd(adjust Roba=1100 size)

dvd rip tab: use internal routines

misc tab:
check-->don't delete any files
input file type=dvd
output file type=dvd

encoder tab: CCE(best) or tmpgenc2.5x
(i never did with Quenc but will work very fine)

audio tab: don't convert audio(is my choice)or select the bitrate that you want for mp2

cd image tab: dvd author

frameserver tab: edit as part of video encode
*hint: you can choose resize to cvd(352x480/576), is dvd compliant

run!
when d2s open the script before encode use:

Undot()
Asharp(1,2)# is optional but i like too much
BilinearResize(352,480)# you will got it if cvd was choosed
Deen()

wait d2s end the job.
you have now the "DVD-Files" folder and
choose one of this options:

without menu:
open the DVD-Files folder in dvdshrink and adjust the size to 701Mb! (use deep analysis)

with menu:
open the DVD-Files folder in tmpgencdvdauthor and build menus.
open the result from tmpgencdvdauthor in dvdshrink and adjust the size to 701Mb! (use deep analysis)

using as source cartoon 4:3 NTSC with 00h 48m 54s 15frames ,audio AC3-2Ch
scene from dvd source resized 49% (changed to 353x480):
http://img80.exs.cx/img80/3329/3pvob49.jpg

same scene from mini-dvd from d2d with CCE (result 352x480):
http://img80.exs.cx/img80/5879/3pcce.jpg

not so bad for that source! ;)

my god. I have not a clue at all. none what so ever. thats way to complicated for me. sorry. I really need a GUIDE. A most recent one.

jorel
5th September 2004, 00:35
:p but this "is" a "guide"...well, not perfect but work.
you can find all tool for free here (less CCE), tmpgendvdauthor for 30 working (trial).
...i forgot one important detail:
this is relevant to compare the pictures, they are honests to show his details!
the picture from the dvd source was resized to small size and when we resize one .bmp or .jpg to small size the sharpness encrease...then,that picture show more details...right or wrong? ;)
please, someone correct me if i'm wrong!

dsantamassino
5th September 2004, 00:39
:p but this "is" a "guide"...well, not perfect but work.
you can find all tool for free here (less CCE), tmpgendvdauthor for 30 working (trial).
...i forgot one important detail:
this is relevant to compare the pictures, they are honests to show his details!
the picture from the dvd source was resized to small size and when we resize one .bmp or .jpg to small size the sharpness encrease...then,that picture show more details...right or wrong? ;)
please, someone correct me if i'm wrong!

but i didn't understand the guide above. I even went back and look at it and it's still confusing me.

jorel
5th September 2004, 00:57
you don't know how to use dvd2svcd? if you don't know, read the doom9's guides, is a wonderfull tool!
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvd2svcd-dvdr.htm
and lots more guides in the forum and people to help you, search in the dvd2svcd foruns! :)

dsantamassino
5th September 2004, 01:09
you don't know how to use dvd2svcd? if you don't know, read the doom9's guides, is a wonderfull tool!
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvd2svcd-dvdr.htm
and lots more guides in the forum and people to help you, search in the dvd2svcd foruns! :)

I already have the tool. It's not that i don't know how to use it. above from DVD to miniDVD the guide is confusing me. I kind of already know how to use dvd2svcd. I need a written most recent DVD to miniDVD guides. There guides on doom9 are well written but the miniDVD guide is out dated and using tools no longer exists. I need a most recent one.

Doom9
5th September 2004, 01:41
I don't plan to update the miniDVD guide.. today a lot of computers are sold with a DVD burner, add-on DVD burners are dirt cheap, so are single layer DVD blanks so I really so no reason for miniDVD.. it's ill supported by players as well.

dsantamassino
5th September 2004, 02:00
Originally posted by Doom9
I don't plan to update the miniDVD guide.. today a lot of computers are sold with a DVD burner, add-on DVD burners are dirt cheap, so are single layer DVD blanks so I really so no reason for miniDVD.. it's ill supported by players as well.

Is there any sites with most recent miniDVD guides??

jsquare
5th September 2004, 17:00
Originally posted by dsantamassino
Is there any sites with most recent miniDVD guides??

Google, Google, Google!

1 - DVD-R/RW Writers could be found for less than CD-R/RW Writers (low as $40)

2 - DVD-Shrink is FREE (One click solution)

3 - Cheap DVD-R 4X media (Less than $0.20ea in 100 lot)

Conclusion, DVD-R is here now, just forget about miniDVD, SVCD, VCD, even Divx and friends.

Enjoy!

jorel
5th September 2004, 18:57
Originally posted by jsquare

1 - DVD-R/RW Writers could be found for less than CD-R/RW Writers (low as $40)

2 - DVD-Shrink is FREE (One click solution)

3 - Cheap DVD-R 4X media (Less than $0.20ea in 100 lot)

Conclusion, DVD-R is here now, just forget about miniDVD, SVCD, VCD, even Divx and friends.

Enjoy!

it's true. and in few months(or in next year) "everybody" will get a dual layer and lots of guides and tools can be forgoten(maybe) cos space "was a problem". this is technology: give with one hard hand and take with other soft hand! but all guides,tools and dedication
from developers always encrease the knowledge, this we don't loose! :) then,IMHO, still valid the dsantamassino search for knowledge!

@ dsantamassino
it's a big thread but magnific with tools and guides....you will learn a lot and get the results: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45504&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

jippiejajee
5th September 2004, 21:46
try this site http://www.videohelp.com/

Yo
27th June 2005, 02:12

I agree with you that with most people having DVD burners these days, DVD blanks having gone done in cost, etc., it doesn't make sense to burn a full-length movie to multiple CDS (mini-DVD, VCD, S-VCD, etc.), when you can burn it much more simply to a single DVD. (Much more convenient to have it one disc rather than multiples, better video quality, etc.)

However, I can see situations where mini-DVD could be very convenient. Unfortunate that many players don't play them, or not well.

For instance, you have ten minutes of home video you wish to share with someone. It seems a waste to use a DVD blank for a few minutes of home video. Regardless of DVD blanks costing less than they used to, CD blanks still cost much less, several times less, more times than the difference in capacity.

Putting it on CD seems to make more sense. For that purpose, if one already has the video in DVD resolution and quality, MPEG-2, mini-DVD would be the best way to go. For VCD or S-VCD the quality would be greatly reduced, and the re-compressing can take hours. Keeping the DVD quality, no recompression, but since it is a short amount of video, putting it on a CD blank rather than DVD blank, would seem like a good solution.

Of course another solution is to compress with a codec like DIVX or XVID and put on a CD. That also takes hours, and would only be practical if the recipient of the CD is a video geek who has that codec installed on his computer. If one is sharing the video with an average non-geek person, the simplest is to send a disc they can put in their home DVD players, and watch, without the computer.

Therefore, it would be nice if the mini-DVD format did work on more stand-alone DVD players. I wonder if there is a way to burn them to make them more compatible? Has anyone had success with that, when you don't know what kind of DVD player the recipient of the disc might have?