PDA

View Full Version : is reencoding still the easiest way to create a keyframe? (want to cut XviD)

BITS
30th July 2004, 23:33
i read a thread here through search that said to reencode from the previous keyframe up to the one after the spot you want to cut.

is this still the easeiest way to create, insert a keyframe aka i-frame?

stephanV
30th July 2004, 23:43
yes, and still pretty much the only way too yet ;)

BITS
31st July 2004, 00:01
i see

what is the best way to approach this without loosing quality?

stephanV
31st July 2004, 00:21
there is none... with re-encoding in a lossy format you will always loose quality. since its such a small piece you can give it a few goes without wasting too much time. try to aim for a similar bit rate as the original.

bond
2nd August 2004, 12:18
its possible to cut streams not at keyframes, when the stream is placed in the .mp4 container (that .mp4 feature is called preroll)

atm there is no .mp4 cutter freely/publically available, which could do this afaik, but 3ivx is working on such a tool, so if you dont have to hurry and dont want to loose quality, you might want to wait :)

stephanV
2nd August 2004, 12:32
Originally posted by bond
its possible to cut streams not at keyframes, when the stream is placed in the .mp4 container (that .mp4 feature is called preroll)

how does it work? i assume the frames in front of the cut are not just thrown away, but somehow are stored somewhere?

bond
2nd August 2004, 13:53
Originally posted by stephanV
how does it work? i assume the frames in front of the cut are not just thrown away, but somehow are stored somewhere? actually i dont know how it works exactly, you should ask shitowax about it, he only said that its a pain to implement :D

stephanV
3rd August 2004, 13:02
a little update (http://forums.3ivx.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=16&topic=77)