PDA

View Full Version : DVD RWs

Nuff Said
30th July 2004, 20:29
What is the best brand for DVD RW's?

ammck55
30th July 2004, 23:03
Any brand of media that works well in both your burner and standalone player would be a good choice, and save you lots of headaches. The answers will vary from setup to setup because RW'able media can be tricky. I'd suggest checking your manufacturer's site for their suggestions and running your models through the search engines using the following links.

Player/media compatibility (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers)
Burner/media compatibility (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters)

ammck55

Nuff Said
30th July 2004, 23:53
Thanks. Tomorrow I go buy a new computer and burnable DVD disk so I really hope I choose the right ones. :)

ammck55
31st July 2004, 00:30
Congratulations on your new computer and burner, you'll be fine! If the guys at the shop where you're making your purchase aren't rock solid on what media the packaged burner will accept, run the appropriate searches right there at the store, they'll have a broadband hookup and you can run this down in short order. That way, you can go home with not only a new ripping machine, but also have media in hand that you already have confidence in! :)

If you have a burner waiting at home to install in the new PC (I'm not quite clear on this), then you can run your searches beforehand and know which media to look for when you get to the store tomorrow. If you should need extra help with finding the right media, be sure and write down the exact make and model of your burner and take it with you. Good luck!

ammck55

Nuff Said
31st July 2004, 08:22
Well maybe you can tell me what you think, before I go off and purches a new computer.

I went to Best Buy today to look at the computers. I had a guy help me out(Very Helpful by the way) and this is what he suggest http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1083714246226&skuId=6716057&type=product

The thing is I'm willing to pay $849, but if I do that, I dont think I will be able to buy the extra's that I want to go along with the computer. What do you think, is that a good computer for that price? Or should I look for something cheaper?

Note-The sells men was also hinting towards the fact that the computer played computers games very nicely. The thing is, I really dont play computer game. I just want a new, faster computer that can play/burn DVD's. And make CD's.

So what do you think. I would really like to here some advice from someone who really knows what to look for, unlike myself.

sarahjh69
31st July 2004, 13:09
way too expensive........
$600 should get you a top quality machine.
If you are not playing games an ATI 9000 graphics card
would be more than enough.
Processor....AMD2500 or Intel 2.6, why pay for the top of tree
when its not really needed.

Find another store, their products all look like overpriced cr@p.
DVDrw get verbatim or Ricoh, you can't go wrong with them.

killingspree
31st July 2004, 18:46
in addition to above mentioned points:

this computer uses a prescott PIV which is known to generate a lot of heat - and isn't bringing any significant advantages! i know, since i got one at work! the cpu therefore requires a larger fan and therefore this whole thing becomes really noisy!

generally, it really depends on the fact if you want to get a computer for encoding, or just for playing the videos!

steVe

Nuff Said
1st August 2004, 01:19
Well I now finally have a computer with a DVD burner and player. I want to thank everyone for all the help I have recieved so far. I would also like to say sorry because I know I will be in here asking houndreds of more questions on how to use it. :)