PDA

View Full Version : DVD Shrink error: failed to write file

gopher
20th July 2004, 17:48
I am extreamly new at trying to copy dvd's! I just tried to backup a dvd with dvdshrink. I got to 90% when I got a message as follows:
failed to write file vts_02_2.vob What does this mean and can I fix it? any help would be appreciated.
thanks

TheSeeker
20th July 2004, 21:35
Explain in detail the steps you took up to the point of the error? what proggy did you use to rip the dvd? any preprocessing? Did you use shrink for everything? what movie? is there anything special about the disc? i.e. seamless branching, angles, or anything like that? please more details

gopher
21st July 2004, 05:35
Hello: as I stated I am extremely new at this dvd "stufff"
I use ( or try to) dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. I tried to encode The Road to El Dorado and Spirit. Now as to preprocessing... I really don't know what that is could you help me there?
Also, I don't know what seamless branching is or what angles are.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
I really like the movies and just want to make backup copies in case the originals get damaged.
thankyou very much for you reply.
gopher

TheSeeker
21st July 2004, 15:43
I assume you have the newest version of both dvd decrypter (3.2.3.0) and dvd shrink (3.1.7). assuming you have the newest versions then on to some explaination. Preprocessing refers to the process of changing the original dvd files before encoding. What I mean is say you want to get rid of the director commentary special feature or you want to get rid of some uneeded audio streams (french, spanish whatever) or subtitles. Or you want to get rid of certain menu pages. This is considered preprocessing because you are processing the dvd files BEFORE encoding. The reasons for doing this being that you make the dvd files a little smaller thereby giving you a little more room for the main movie video so you can have a little higher quality encode. As for all that other stuff, i really dont think seamless branching or angles have anything to do with it, and i dont really want to confuse you as i probably cant explain it very good. IF you want to learn about that stuff do a search im sure there is a bunch on it. As for your problem, did you just try to start over and rerun it through dvd shrink? maybe it just errored out for some dumb reason and it may work if you try again. Do you have enough disk space on your HD? did you change any settings in shrink? did you do a deep analysis? have you tried using instant copy or any other transcoder to do this movie? is that two movies on two seperate discs or both on one disc?

EDIT: How did you rip the movie to your HD? Did you rip it in file mode or in iso mode? Did you rip all the files or just the main movie?

ddlooping
22nd July 2004, 01:31
gopher, my guess is your file system is FAT32 and you selected for DVD Shrink to output as an ISO image.
Unfortunately, FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.

If my guess is correct, you have a few options:

- convert from FAT32 to NTFS.
- select for DVD Shrink to output as a DVD folder, and burn with Nero or similar software.
- set the compression ratio manually so the "shrunk" files will be < 4GB.
- wait for v3.2 which will be able to automatically output "split" ISO on FAT32 systems.

m99
22nd July 2004, 06:51
Originally posted by ddlooping
- wait for v3.2 which will be able to automatically output "split" ISO on FAT32 systems.

Do you know when it's anticipated? Any public beta to try?

ddlooping
22nd July 2004, 13:56
m99, the beta are not publicly available, but v3.2 Final should be released very soon (maybe at the week-end). ;)

wmansir
22nd July 2004, 16:25
Originally posted by ddlooping
m99, the beta are not publicly available, but v3.2 Final should be released very soon (maybe at the week-end). ;)

Grrr, I saw you were the last to post in the forum and came in hoping to find an announcment. :(

Perhaps this post will save another from false hope. ;)

ddlooping
22nd July 2004, 16:39
Well, wmansir, v3.2 was supposed to be released a few days ago, but dvdshrink decided to try and improve the output quality even more. ;)

TheSeeker
22nd July 2004, 18:05
I must say that Im really anxiously looking forward to this release (3.2) because Im hoping I can put away IC8 for good. I have now had some personal experience with the undersizing issues and they are quite annoying especially since the hidden settings editor didnt seem to help out at all. Though, I guess with my new computer:

AMD64 3000+
MSI K8T NEO FIS2R
1GB DDR400 SDRAM
eVGA GeForce FX 5900 XT

I can use rebuilder and movies take almost as long as they used to with my old computer and IC8 (just under 3 hours with 4 passes (about 1 hr. 40 min movie))