PDA

View Full Version : WAV 44.1 Stero to AC3 5.1 bulk converter

DaveyDGUK
1st July 2004, 23:39
Hello..

Just written some VB routines in Microsoft Access 97 which automates the conversion of all WAVs in source folders to a destination folder 48 Khz AC3 5.1 surround...

Like a one button click thing.(You can type in the track names aswell)
Can alter the channel allocation and soft encode settings.. writes the INI file etc..

You must have Sonic Soft Encode. as it uses the command line facitily..

Use Exact Audio Copy to strip the tracks as TRACK01, TRACK02 etc..

I've just converted 5 CD's to AC3 5.1 Tracks..

Anybody interested in this ? Saves me time....

(P.S. Access 97 isnt the best app to write stuff in, but it easier for me.)

ursamtl
2nd July 2004, 00:43
Sounds interesting. Just a couple of questions.

How are you creating the surrounds, LFE and center channels?

How does Access handle audio?

Regards,
Steve.

daphy
2nd July 2004, 07:33
WAV 44.1 Stero to AC3 5.1 bulk converter
Hello..

Just written some VB routines in Microsoft Access 97 which automates the conversion of all WAVs in source folders to a destination folder 48 Khz AC3 5.1 surround...

Like a one button click thing.(You can type in the track names aswell)
Can alter the channel allocation and soft encode settings.. writes the INI file etc..

You must have Sonic Soft Encode. as it uses the command line facitily..

Use Exact Audio Copy to strip the tracks as TRACK01, TRACK02 etc..

I've just converted 5 CD's to AC3 5.1 Tracks..

Anybody interested in this ? Saves me time....

(P.S. Access 97 isnt the best app to write stuff in, but it easier for me.)

hmm. Access 97 isnīt really a app which is installed on every nowadays standart computer -> letīs see if Iīll find the old office 97 disc :( , but (hopefully) itīs possible to update your project at least to Access 2002 (XP)

Offer:
If you need some webspace, feel free to upload/share your packed project to our FTP (ftp://daphy.mine.nu/incoming/)
(Hope I managed to fix the frontpage needfulthings this weekend - but there are so many things also scheduled this days :sly: )

DaveyDGUK
2nd July 2004, 16:47
Originally posted by ursamtl
Sounds interesting. Just a couple of questions.

How are you creating the surrounds, LFE and center channels?

How does Access handle audio?

Regards,
Steve.

It doesnt.. Access just automates 3 MS-DOS command line programs...

DaveyDGUK
2nd July 2004, 16:50
Originally posted by daphy
hmm. Access 97 isnīt really a app which is installed on every nowadays standart computer -> letīs see if Iīll find the old office 97 disc :( , but (hopefully) itīs possible to update your project at least to Access 2002 (XP)

Offer:
If you need some webspace, feel free to upload/share your packed project to our FTP (ftp://daphy.mine.nu/incoming/)
(Hope I managed to fix the frontpage needfulthings this weekend - but there are so many things also scheduled this days :sly: )

Got a 156Kb zip file.. how do I get it to you ? your link doesnt work..Could email it..?

Create a folder where your ripping the CDs to
Create a folder for each CD ripped..

Select a destination folder..

The program upsamples 44.1Khz Stereo file to 48Khz stereo

Down mixes the 48Khz stereo to a 48Khz Mono file

Choose Left, Right or Mono for any 5.1 channel..

My brother said he'd help me convert this to an executable Delphi file...

Install into C:\WAVAC3\
(It should unzip into this folder.)

Have Sonic Soft Encode installed into its default folder.

ursamtl
4th July 2004, 14:43
Originally posted by DaveyDGUK
Got a 156Kb zip file.. how do I get it to you ? your link doesnt work..Could email it..?

Create a folder where your ripping the CDs to
Create a folder for each CD ripped..

Select a destination folder..

The program upsamples 44.1Khz Stereo file to 48Khz stereo

Down mixes the 48Khz stereo to a 48Khz Mono file

Choose Left, Right or Mono for any 5.1 channel..

My brother said he'd help me convert this to an executable Delphi file...

Install into C:\WAVAC3\
(It should unzip into this folder.)

Have Sonic Soft Encode installed into its default folder.

Davey, you say that you downmix the stereo file to mono and then choose any of the 5.12 channels. Doesn't that get rid of any separation and just route the sound through one speaker? Have you tried any of the methods listed here in the others threads, especially the Sticky surround thread at the top of the list? they all take a stereo file and spread the sound out among the 5.1 channels. Some work better than others, but they all do something to fill out the channels. We're presently compiling a master list of all the methods. If yours does spread the sound out then I'd like to add it to the list. Please give us some details on what it does.

Thanks,
Steve.

DaveyDGUK
5th July 2004, 22:47
Originally posted by ursamtl
Davey, you say that you downmix the stereo file to mono and then choose any of the 5.12 channels. Doesn't that get rid of any separation and just route the sound through one speaker? Have you tried any of the methods listed here in the others threads, especially the Sticky surround thread at the top of the list? they all take a stereo file and spread the sound out among the 5.1 channels. Some work better than others, but they all do something to fill out the channels. We're presently compiling a master list of all the methods. If yours does spread the sound out then I'd like to add it to the list. Please give us some details on what it does.

Thanks,
Steve.

Uses ssrc.exe (Shipbatch) to up sample 44.1khz Wav to 48Khz stereo Wav
Uses WAYANY.exe to create a down mixed mono 48 Khz WAV from the stereo.

You can either choose left, or right channels from the Stereo 48 Wav or the Mono 48 Wav for any of the L, C, F, RL, RR, LFE channels.

I use Mono for the centre and LFE only.

The access routine will write the INI file for soft encode so you can change the bit rate and other settings.. Uses the command line feature of soft encode.

I've made 1 AC3 DVD using 16 audio CDs as a tester... Couldnt be bothered hand cranking Soft encode with all the tracks, so I wrote this as a batch file thing... It's simple, for simple people like me.. Havent tried any of the other methods.. Do they work for bulk conversions, or do I have to hand crank every song to be converted ? I have a 156Kb zip file which contains the access 97 program, 2 MS-Dos executables, but not the Soft encode program for obvious reasons.

Try it out. You may think its dumb, you may think it doesnt work or what a pile.. ?

I've tried creating an FTP site on Wanadoo.. But it hasnt come online yet..

http://wav2ac3.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

ursamtl
6th July 2004, 00:25
Uses ssrc.exe (Shipbatch) to up sample 44.1khz Wav to 48Khz stereo Wav
Uses WAYANY.exe to create a down mixed mono 48 Khz WAV from the stereo.

You can either choose left, or right channels from the Stereo 48 Wav or the Mono 48 Wav for any of the L, C, F, RL, RR, LFE channels.

I use Mono for the centre and LFE only.

The access routine will write the INI file for soft encode so you can change the bit rate and other settings.. Uses the command line feature of soft encode.

I've made 1 AC3 DVD using 16 audio CDs as a tester... Couldnt be bothered hand cranking Soft encode with all the tracks, so I wrote this as a batch file thing... It's simple, for simple people like me.. Havent tried any of the other methods.. Do they work for bulk conversions, or do I have to hand crank every song to be converted ? I have a 156Kb zip file which contains the access 97 program, 2 MS-Dos executables, but not the Soft encode program for obvious reasons.

Try it out. You may think its dumb, you may think it doesnt work or what a pile.. ?

I've tried creating an FTP site on Wanadoo.. But it hasnt come online yet..

http://wav2ac3.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Hey, I don't think it's dumb at all. Anything that automates the process is very cool, especially using software that a lot of people already have sitting on their machine. The other methods do various things to the sound. some automate more than others. If you check out the big thread at the top (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60137) you'll see there's some mention a few pages in of using cue sheet files to process a whole CD. You could use that approach with virtually any of the surround methods we're compiling on the list. Maybe you could combine it with your Access to get the best of both worlds.

E-Male
6th July 2004, 06:53
...You can either choose left, or right channels from the Stereo 48 Wav or the Mono 48 Wav for any of the L, C, F, RL, RR, LFE channels.
I use Mono for the centre and LFE only...
so you just do this:
FL=L
FR=R
C=M
LFE=M
SL=L
SR=R

right?

DaveyDGUK
7th July 2004, 20:45
Originally posted by E-Male
so you just do this:
FL=L
FR=R
C=M
LFE=M
SL=L
SR=R

right?

Yeah.. Thats how I do it.... How can I upload this access program to this forum ? My web page just says its under construction from freeserve ?