PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions on Sonic DVD Creator

Andra
10th June 2004, 10:16
Hi there,

We're looking to buy a high end DVD encoding and authoring system that preferably, but not necisarily, runs on a Mac. Obviously Sonic Scenarist is the biggest player on the Windows platform.
When I visited Sonic's website I came across Sonic DVD Creator, for the Mac. Now I was wondering wether DVD Creator could still compete with Scenarist. All discusions on the internet that I could find are a bit old (two years at least). So I need some fresh opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Yours,
Andra Veraart

Arky
10th June 2004, 11:51
Well, as you are no doubt aware, Creator is a spec-level authoring system (which is a very positive thing), but it does also make certain elements of authoring more difficult than they need to be (take Story/Playlist PGC building, for example).

I'd like to ask you some questions, if I may:

What kind of work will you be doing with the system?

What is your target market?

What level of authoring complexity do you require?

Do you already have a firm grasp of spec-level authoring?

And finally,

Is support important to you..?

Originally posted by Andra
I was wondering wether DVD Creator could still compete with Scenarist. All discusions on the internet that I could find are a bit old (two years at least).

Well, Sonic appear to have ceased development of Creator and Scenarist (at least to any appreciable extent), since they are now pursuing HD DVD (a standard which has not even been finalised by the DVD Forum yet...). As I said above, Creator is a powerful spec-level authoring system, but it is not quite as powerful as Scenarist. If you want to lay your hands on the most powerful desktop authoring system in general circulation then Scenarist is the one to go for, but I still draw your attention to my above questions, most notably, the last one.

Please also check out the discussion Surfdrifter and I had, recently, about abstraction layer authoring systems versus spec-level systems, in this thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75359) (12th and 13th posts down)

Arky ;o)