PDA

View Full Version : v 0.51 & 51b crash in Windows 98SE.

turbodpv
31st May 2004, 20:46
Hi everyone,

I'm receiving the following message in Win98SE:

Run-time error '5'
Invalid procedure call or argument

I can run version 51 & 51b under Winxp no problem on my other 2 systems. But I thought I would point this out.

Version 50, 50a & 50b all work under 98SE.

By the way truly AWESOME recoder JDobbs! You've hyperwarped the bar to a new realm 8) good work!

Turbo

Oldeman
31st May 2004, 21:14
Same for me.
DVD-RB .51 and .51b crash (error 5) on startup in WIN98SE.

Worked fine for me from .16 to .50b.

I've tried reinstalling AVisynth 2.54 and deleting rebuilder.ini....
Any other suggestions?

DvdReMake and DVD-Rebuilder... a winning ticket....
Keep on burning....

Fr4nz
1st June 2004, 00:42
Originally posted by Oldeman
Same for me.
DVD-RB .51 and .51b crash (error 5) on startup in WIN98SE.

Worked fine for me from .16 to .50b.

I've tried reinstalling AVisynth 2.54 and deleting rebuilder.ini....
Any other suggestions?

Install WinXP :D :D

geffroman
1st June 2004, 01:20
As friendly as I can suggest, I agree...

You are over due to move your dvd stuff to WinXP :)

houstonbofh
27th June 2004, 23:36
Originally posted by geffroman
As friendly as I can suggest, I agree...

You are over due to move your dvd stuff to WinXP :)

Well, it has been 4 versions with no answer, so... As friendly as I can reply, unless y'all are ready to port some old apps over, it ain't happening... The question is did Win98se support get dropped from Rebuilder? Am I stuck with 50b? Or is there some functionality we can add in to make rebuilder run?

luphy
28th June 2004, 00:12
Yes, I believe jdobbs did mention in one of his posts that he would not be supporting the older OS platforms like Win98. Too much work trying to debug. Most people who would use CCE would tend to have somewhat newer computers that usually come with WinXP anyways.

So live with an older version or switch to WinXP.

houstonbofh
28th June 2004, 00:34
Just for the record... 2.8 Ghz w/ MHz FSB, 1Gb Duel channel , 120 Gig HD. And my car is fast too... :p

The "get a new system" mantra gets old... The system is new, but the critical navigation and video software for my boat (which I live on) will not run on XP. I would be willing to part with several organs if this were not the case... :(

Anyway, I have been doing a lot of searching and found a few threads of people with this problem, but no definitive answer. If it is unsupported, I understand. Price of not hitting things while offshore. :D If it is not yet decided, I want to register a vote for 98 support. Either way, 50b is still better than anything else I can run. Oh, and I use QuEnc, which is also top notch. I prefer the free software. It is usually better written, butter supported, and more frequently updated. As a counter example, KVH Trackvision, (Direct TV for boats) is several grand for a dish which can only be configured with hyperterminal from Win95. No joke... :where is the crying in your beer smilie?:

jdobbs
28th June 2004, 03:35
I don't mind supporting it -- but I'm not really sure what is causing the problem, and I don't have Windows 98 on any of my 5 computers. I also, can't for the life of me, figure out what changed between 0.50 and 0.51 that could have caused this... any additional information you could give me would be great. What exactly does it do... does the application show before it dies? Have you tried killing your INI?

turbodpv
28th June 2004, 05:34
jdobbs,

I have tried running rebuilder with and without the ini. Still the Run-time error '5'Invalid procedure call or argument error pops up instantly upon clicking the rebuilder shortcut or the exe itself. I tried changing stacks & buffers in the Config.sys file but to no avail. I'm guessing that it's a memory handling issue.

Turbo

houstonbofh
29th June 2004, 20:38
Same for me. 50b works, and 52, 53a and 54 all fail the same way. Also tried them on my antique laptop with 98 that had no previous version on it, and had the same error. Nothing pops up but the error. I am willing to test any debug code you want to send my way. (I understand how had it is to debug without replicating the error locally)

wmansir
3rd July 2004, 16:26
I'm adding this to the known issues thread and making this the official discussion thread.

jdobbs
4th July 2004, 13:33
Can someone tell me exactly which version started this? Was it 50 or 51?

wmansir
4th July 2004, 14:57
From what I have read v0.50b works, but v0.51 does not. I'll go try it out on a 98 machine I have and verify.

wmansir
4th July 2004, 15:03
Here is v.050b

The last version to be reported to work with 98SE.

wmansir
4th July 2004, 15:07
Here's v0.51

The first version reported to be broken in 98SE.

(ps. I'm doing this so I can just download them to my 98 machine. :) But if others want to verify that's cool).

wmansir
4th July 2004, 15:15
v0.51 is where the error started. The program doesn't even start up, just a windows error message with the OK button.

jdobbs
4th July 2004, 16:38
I'd appreciate it if you could try the attached version. It has some popup boxes that are displayed when it starts. Let me know which is the last one to show.

Thanks.

wmansir
4th July 2004, 17:08
Calling LoadINI is the last popup before the error.

jdobbs
4th July 2004, 17:26
Ok, good. Now try this one and see if it runs.

wmansir
4th July 2004, 17:33
Nope, same problem: Runtime Error '5'

jdobbs
4th July 2004, 17:39
Ok. I'm going to post another one in a minute that will have more messages -- hope I'm not driving you nuts... but I don't have Win98 running.

jdobbs
4th July 2004, 17:46
Ok. This one will have a lot of stops in LOADINI -- thanks for the help.

wmansir
4th July 2004, 17:51
Call LoadINI 06 is the last popup before the error.

No problem about helping out. I'll be heading out to BBQ in a little while, but I'll let you know so I don't leave you waiting.

Edit: heading out now. Happy 4th.

turbodpv
4th July 2004, 18:42
Jdobbs,

wmansir is right on the money throughout this thread. I'll be available to help out with testing too. But everything wmansir has stated is ditto for me here on my 98 SE machine(Actually a dual boot XP/98SE machine).

Hey thanks for your diligence and aggressive debug nature Jdobbs 8)

And Happy 4th of July to all you guys here in the US of A :D

Gunner-GoNad
4th July 2004, 18:56
If you must run Win98, then why don't you install dual boot. Have both XP and 98. Then run most of everything except what you can't in XP and switch back to the dark ages when you have to. It's not hard to setup. If you already have 98 on the drive you can install XP now and tell it to leave the contents on the drive. It will auto setup a dual boot menu and everything. You could even get a second Hard Drive and install XP on it and get a removable bay.. Just swap the drives. Or shit. Even buy a crappy old PC for a 150 bucks ad run Win98 on it and whatever old software you have to. Many options. The truth is 98 is OLD! IT's time to get XP in your homes.

- Gunner-GoNad!

jdobbs
4th July 2004, 20:08
Ok I think I have it. Apparently Windows 98 won't let you pass an empty string as the default return value when calling GetPrivateProfileString() -- and Windows 2000/XP does...

Edit: More accurately -> a string that has not been initialized

wmansir
4th July 2004, 23:14
I just tested v0.55 and this appears to be resolved.

My 98 machine is really just an old system I setup for web/email and can't actually do DVD conversion, so hopefully someone with a working 98 setup can confirm the entire process works.

jdobbs
5th July 2004, 00:31
Originally posted by wmansir
I just tested v0.55 and this appears to be resolved.

My 98 machine is really just an old system I setup for web/email and can't actually do DVD conversion, so hopefully someone with a working 98 setup can confirm the entire process works. Just FYI... this may also have an positive impact on subpictures retention in some way that wasn't reported... it was the subpicture variable that wasn't being initialized properly.

turbodpv
5th July 2004, 09:13
Looks good here too. I started a recode and will report the result in the morning. But it's looking good so far. Thanks Jdobbs for such an incredible recode tool. I just love it!

Turbo

houstonbofh
6th July 2004, 06:17
I am very impressed with how fast this was fixed. Took some time away from the computer for the 4th, and bang! :D I too will do an overnight test. Thanks for the hard work!

As to the comment by Gunner-GoNad... I live on a boat. Space is a premium, and so another box is not an option. My computer is also my TV, my DVD player, my Jukebox, and my navigation system. If you are traveling off shore, rebooting your navigation system to watch a movie is not an option. :D Eventually, I will have to go to something else. I still have two pieces of hardware / software holding me back to 98, but I am watching out for alternatives.

turbodpv
7th July 2004, 00:50
Hi everyone,

Yup Jdobbs did it alright. Completed the recode just beautifully in Win98SE. Great work!! You just gotta love it :D

houstonbofh
7th July 2004, 20:12
Successfull rebuild of two movies. However, it seems to eat more memory than the old version. My system becomes slightly unstable after one complete rebuild. Before, I could get 2 or three rebuilds before it became unstable. Minor issue, and may be related to other programs. I will be investigating and open a new thread if needed. Good job! I wish you worked for some other software companies, so I could ditch 98. :D

wmansir
7th July 2004, 21:58
OK, looks like this one is a wrap. I'm closing the issue.

Tarquinn
29th November 2004, 13:39
This problem appears again in vers. 0.66a - thought it was already fixed in earlier versions.
Does anyone have an older version that runs under Win98SE and could send it to my mail-add.?
Would be nice if this would be fixed again in further versions.

Thx

Rockas
30th November 2004, 13:58
you can download the last 10 versions at www.dvdrebuilder.com

keep it UP

Tarquinn
30th November 2004, 15:36
Great - thank you very much, Rockas !