PDA

View Full Version : play problem

yf2001usa
18th May 2004, 22:05
I've been having problems with playback on 2 of my philips dvd-players. The first chapter only plays a few seconds and then it goes to chapter 2 and plays just fine after that.

What can i do about it..

Video Dude
18th May 2004, 23:44
It seems that many people are having problems with Philips players and DVD Rebuilder. Do a search. This topic has been brought up many times.

yf2001usa
21st May 2004, 14:28
I did a search all i can find is that there is trouble but no solution.... That is what i need.

Sir Didymus
21st May 2004, 15:54
Originally posted by yf2001usa
I did a search all i can find is that there is trouble but no solution.... That is what i need.

You need..., this is the point...
You know, right, DVD-RB is in beta testing...

Anyway you are right. I remind other people using Philips players suffer from the same trouble...

Ok, now, consider the huge work Jdobbs is carrying out, day by day, to look at and to fix the code. This is an absolutely new type of application (doing DVD backups using transcoders is much, much easier...). The sofware for managing properly the prepare, and the encode steps is highly complex. The software for managing the authoring should be even more complex, and it was most probably not using so much previously developed and tested code.

So, please be patient, and follow the DVD-RB improvements. I am totally sure also this behaviour will be more or less quickly solved...

Sorry for being of or no help with the present post, but just people owning Philips players could see the problem and could replicate it, for trying to point it out (and I am not among them)...

All the best,
SD

yf2001usa
21st May 2004, 16:11
I was just checking if i missed the solution.

The problem with me is the first chapter. It plays for 2 secs and then the dvd jumps to the next chapter. And it will not let you use prev>> and rew<< or time search.

So my guess it has some thing to do with the timing on the dvd.

jdobbs
22nd May 2004, 15:02
Originally posted by yf2001usa
I was just checking if i missed the solution.

The problem with me is the first chapter. It plays for 2 secs and then the dvd jumps to the next chapter. And it will not let you use prev>> and rew<< or time search.

So my guess it has some thing to do with the timing on the dvd. Version? Movie? Preprocessing? Region? PAL? NTSC?

I can't do much without at least a little information with which to work.

yf2001usa
22nd May 2004, 15:27
Ripping: DVD-Decrypter
Processing: DVD-rebuilder (lastest version) 5 passes CCE SP & Basic settings.
Region: 2 so it is PAL
Disc: Startrek Voyager Season 1 disc 1

It plays ok on the other non philips player i got but when i time skip there it seems to go back and forward but not the way you would expect. If you think you go forward you go back and if you go back you seem to be going forward. If i start in chapter 2 and rwd<< then 6 minutes is added to the time but it winds back to chapter 1 then it rewinds and i can come in chapter 1 but if i come to some point it jumps back to chapter 3 and rewinds or plays form chapter 3(chapter 3 is chapter 2 + 6 minutes). So it seems the timing of the eps are off by a long shot.

time:
0:00 play jumps to 6:27 (chap 2)
6:27 rwd jumps to 12:55 (in chapter 3) but image is that of chapter 1 if you press play then it jumps 11:38 (chapter 3)

Other DVD:
Ripping: DVD-Decrypter
Processing DVD-Rebuilder 0.49 3 passes CCE 2.67
Region: 2 so it is PAL
Disc CSI Season 2 disc 5

This on has only 1 problem chapter 3 (last chapter) of episode 2 won't play. And here also no time search if i try then the disc just stops.

I hope this info helps...

I also tried to make a new dvd with only 1 episode in it but that gave the same problem. So the vob file isn't the right standaard i would say.