PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Quest: DVDRebuilder vs. DVDShrink

nk1607
28th April 2004, 07:14
Hi,

I've used DVDShrink some times now. I think it's a good one-click-backup-tool. Now I read some threads here about DVDRebuilder.But I'm not yet sure which tool is better. First impression is DVDRebuilder needs more time than DVDShrink.
Can anyone give me reasons why to use the one or the tool?
Thanx a lot.

NK

the-warriners
28th April 2004, 07:46
Well for starters

DVDShrink:
Very easy to use
Quick
Allows reauthoring
Can change bitrate of individual elements
Stable
Not good when high compression is required
No longer being actively developed

DVD-RB
Quite easy to use - requires a little knowledge on what you are doing
Takes a lot longer, esp if you do multiple passes
No reauthoring available - some folks use shrink first
Very good quality even at low bitrates
Still new and beta so some bugs still remain
Still being developed so lots of feature requests can go in :)
Can change to compression level of extras only by half

Anyone else want to add to the list?

rui
28th April 2004, 09:52
Well, if one uses DVD-RB with Rejig, the time spent in the process is almost the same. And the quality of Rejig seems better, IMHO, when comparing with DVD Shrink.

msobetzko
28th April 2004, 13:37
Originally posted by nk1607
Hi,

I've used DVDShrink some times now. I think it's a good one-click-backup-tool.

Can anyone give me reasons why to use the one or the tool?
Thanx a lot.

I too have used DVDShrink for a long time. It is a great pience of software. DVD-RB is fabulous as well. My answer is that I use both, often together. They compliment each other well, the real question is what are you trying to do.

DVD-RB has GREAT quality if a lot of compression is need (compression of 80%). It's hard to do a full disk backup in Shrink and have it look good.

DVDShrink let's you easily make a movie only backup allowing for higher quality product. Sometimes movies are large enough (Pirates of Carrib) that even in movie only mode the quality is less than you would like. The answer...

First Shrink (no compression) then DVD-RB

jdobbs
28th April 2004, 14:13
I guess the question is: Is there really a "vs." involved? Use one, use both, use neither. I'm not in competition with DVD Shrink, the Big-3, or any other package. The single primary reason for DVD-RB's existence was to do quality backups -- with CCE in mind -- and to do it as simply as possible. While I was developing it Nic came up with some great new tools, so I added them on.

CiViC
28th April 2004, 22:26
well, DVD Rebuilder is the best backup app to date, imho..hybrid material used to be such a pain in the ass before jdobbs did some magic and fixed the problem..

DDogg
28th April 2004, 22:36
Might want to be a bit more careful with the word "best" in these forums. Dem's fighting words for many :) Certainly dvd-rb is not yet there, but it seems like it has the best shot at the title for full DVD backup. It was good you mentioned the hybrid thing. I'm not sure people really understand the 'leap' in technology dvd-rb represents in its unique core methods. There is nothing else like it, as far as I know, that reassembles the original flag sequences.

Joergen
28th April 2004, 22:41
Well once all the bugs are out of the core of dvd-rb and multiangle etc supported, you really can slap in the tina turner tape and sing "simply the Best". Unless you consider dual layer writability a "backup solution" :cool: