PDA

View Full Version : DVD burning specifics (audio & video standards/formats)

sh03z
13th April 2004, 18:53
Hello,

Thanks for all the help I've recieved from all the admins/members here before.

I just recieved a DVD burner for my birthday, and I have a few questions that I could not find in the forums:

What is the max bitrate for DVD-R/DVD+R 's? I mean, what should I not go past, what is the standard...and also am I restricted to a minimum bitrate?

On audio, must the audio stream be wav? Or can it be mp2, or should it be mp2...

In conclusion, I want to make my DVD-R/DVD+R 's playable in any standalone player and computer.

Thank you very much for your time,

(I am mostly backing up DVDs to mpeg with CCE and using Virtual dub for my DV camera footage, then using avisynth to frameserve to CCE...)

Also, is converting everything to VOB better???

-Mike

Dimmer
13th April 2004, 22:28
Here's a link (http://dvd.sourceforge.net/dvdinfo/dvdmpeg.html) with information about DVD-compliant MPEG files (min/max bitrate, etc). Standard audio formats are .wav and AC-3; also, .mp2 for PAL DVDs only.

Converting to VOB is done by authoring software. Otherwise, there is no need to convert to VOB files.

mudda_t
13th April 2004, 23:19
Standard audio formats are .wav and AC-3; also, .mp2 for PAL DVDs only.
So mp2 is a standard for pal but not a standard for ntsc?
The reason I ask is because I've never had a standalone not play an mp2 source.

Dimmer
13th April 2004, 23:30
Originally posted by mudda_t
So mp2 is a standard for pal but not a standard for ntsc?

The reason I ask is because I've never had a standalone not play an mp2 source.Yes, it's not a standard. However, most of DVD players can play VCDs for which mp2 is the only standard audio. As a result, the players have built-in mp2 decoder and can play mp2 off the DVDs as well.

sh03z
14th April 2004, 00:00
Ok, thanks guys

That is exactly what I needed to know

=D