PDA

View Full Version : Found a SIMPLE way to encode ONLY the main movie with DVD-Rebuilder!

Fr4nz
13th April 2004, 00:58
Ok guys. I found a very simple way to backup ONLY the MAIN movie or only some parts of the DVD (so not the ENTIRE DVD) with DVD-Rebuilder. You just need DVDShrink in addition to the other programs.

You have just to:

1 - Load DVD-Shrink.

2 - Load your DVD.

3 - Choose Re-Author.

4 - Select only the main movie (or only the parts you want), choose the languages and the subtitles you want, SELECT "NO COMPRESSION" (leave the film at 100% quality, so ignore ANY warning later).Ok, now press BACKUP.

5 - Now you'll have the MAIN MOVIE decrypted and non-compressed in the directory you have choosed previously with dvd-shrink.

6 - Now close dvd-shrink and load DVD-Rebuilder; select the directory you've put the film reauthored (and non-compressed) as the source path and then apply all the steps you need to backup your DVD with DVD-RB. That's all :)

I've tried it and works flawlessly with powerdvd. DVD-RB seems to work well with dvdshrink output. :)

EDIT: Remember that this method is not supported by the author of DVD-RB, so if you use it and encounter any bug don't bother the author...at least for now :D

Joergen
13th April 2004, 01:20
Yep, and dont forget you can choose your default subtitle to be turned on automatically (a truly great little feature) in dvdshrink aswell.

wmansir
13th April 2004, 01:42
Instead of saying "Don't choose any compression" I would reword it to read "Select No Compression", since by default the automatic compression is applied.

Also, don't report bugs if you use this method jdobbs has requested that all bug reports be based on untouched sources for now.

Fr4nz
13th April 2004, 01:45
Ok, I've corrected the post, hope it's ok now!

GooglyBear
13th April 2004, 01:51
..you kinda miss the whole point of what DVD-RB does, do ya?

if you want main movie only without losing quality might as well just re-author it using shrink, chances are if you can't get just the movie you'll be pretty close to it.. or use DVDFAB, DVDXCOPY.. a lot of ways.. forget CCE as you're just wasting your time

the thing with DVD-RB is that it uses CCE which is so amazing that even if you keep your menus and your extras, your quality will not suffer compared to other "1click" apps..

..kinda makes me appreciate jdobbs' efforts more, bringing this kind of quality and power to n00bs and you know they're out there -.-

Fr4nz
13th April 2004, 02:06
There are lots of movies which doesn't fit in a DVD-R, also if I remove all the extras. One example is LOTR, which has a very BIG main movie.

So using dvd-shrink + dvd-rebuilder gives me a very good and easy way to use CCE if I want to have the maximum quality out of my backups.

wmansir
13th April 2004, 02:09
I can see where this method has it's advantages over other "movie only" methods. #1 being that you don't need a separate reauthoring program.

EDIT: to clarify I was refering to other CCE based methods.

Joergen
13th April 2004, 02:20
Yep it's easy peasy (at least once it's all ironed out) making a movie only with CCE quality and keeping subs and audios. You can even add a studio animation at the beginning in shrink to make it "feel" like a dvd ;)

But since DVD-RB can do pretty much 99% of the movies out there while retaining the menus (at least) or even extras (especially later on with bitrate balancing), a movie only with dvd-rb is just for maximising the quality or ease-of-use (both creating and watching).

dave88
13th April 2004, 03:25
Originally posted by Joergen
maximising the quality

Sounds like a good reason to me :) This is a great way to go for longer movies that you want on one disk.

One tip though, don't use the "set start/end frames" feature when you are re-authoring in DVDShrink if you plan to compress with DVDRB (or other apps for that matter) as you are much more likely to run into problems.

luphy
13th April 2004, 09:06
Anyone having trouble with DVDRB not accepting the output files from Shrink yet?

I would have loved to combine both parts (movie-only) of Schindler's List (combined is over 9gb just for movie alone!) into one DVD, but don't have the disc space to do that with DVDRB. Used DVDShrink and split part of Disc 1 (after Chapter 19) and combined that with Disc 2 - both disc required only about 10% compression each.

I wonder how Schindler's List would look with both disc combined (movie only) using CCE - anyone tried it yet?

YaoMing11
13th April 2004, 09:13
I always use CloneDVD to strip away extras and audio while it preserves the menu then run it through my favorite transcoder. I made my first CCE 4-pass movie today using DVD-RB. I chose "Theres something about Mary" using CloneDVD to strip extras and audio while keeping the menu. This saved me almost 1gb extra to use towards the video quality. DVD-RB took just under 5 hours to do a CCE 4-pass. I must admit the quality is excellent and really sharp compared to many of the lower 1 click programs out there like DVDshrink. I checked and found no stuttering or audio sync problems.

Fr4nz
13th April 2004, 09:29
Originally posted by luphy
Anyone having trouble with DVDRB not accepting the output files from Shrink yet?

I would have loved to combine both parts (movie-only) of Schindler's List (combined is over 9gb just for movie alone!) into one DVD, but don't have the disc space to do that with DVDRB. Used DVDShrink and split part of Disc 1 (after Chapter 19) and combined that with Disc 2 - both disc required only about 10% compression each.

I wonder how Schindler's List would look with both disc combined (movie only) using CCE - anyone tried it yet?

For quality reasons I think you should keep the two parts separate.

Paced
13th April 2004, 09:42

Try combining both parts, then running DVD-RB through the 'Prepare' phase, and once it's finished, it will tell you the average bitrate it will use to encode the files. As a general guideline, I'd say above 3100 would be sufficient for Schindler's List (at about 3 passes).

ux-3
13th April 2004, 11:01
If you wanted just the main movie done with CCE, why wouldn't you turn to DVD2DVD-R 1.81? It does that with near perfection, even allows to lower the bitrate in the credits or to add lines to the video script. And it also allows you to autostart subs and audio. You can even set the bitrate boundaries. And its beyond beta.

The new 2.0 Version allows for series and flippers as well! Just no menues! But you guys are talking movie only anyway!

HarryM
13th April 2004, 11:50
"DVD Shrink preprocessing" for prepare encoding with DVD-RB - I use two weeks now. Very good and simple.

Lazza
13th April 2004, 13:41
Originally posted by ux-3
If you wanted just the main movie done with CCE, why wouldn't you turn to DVD2DVD-R 1.81? It does that with near perfection, even allows to lower the bitrate in the credits or to add lines to the video script. And it also allows you to autostart subs and audio. You can even set the bitrate boundaries. And its beyond beta.

The new 2.0 Version allows for series and flippers as well! Just no menues! But you guys are talking movie only anyway!
Or for movie-only why not use DVDReasy? Seems to be coming along very nicely indeed and is looking the ideal tool for CCE encoded movie-only discs.

FREE d/l here:- http://pwp.netcabo.pt/dvdreasy/what.htm

ux-3
13th April 2004, 13:54
Originally posted by Lazza
Or for movie-only why not use DVDReasy?

I took a brief look. Only one audio and one subtitle? That ends it for me right there. Only CCE 2.5? So no Bitrate reduction in the credits? It may be fine for some, but I think that DVD2DVD-r has a lot more to offer. Perhaps it just differs in the design philosopy. The later gives you advanced options if you check that box. I use it for most of my backups of single movies, and I am playing with the new half done Pro version too.

The new Pro Version does also allow for flippers and episodal Discs. It is actually so cleverly designed, that you could (not that you wish to) could create a DVD with all the LOTR SEE on it. (Somewhat like shrink) I am saying you choose multiple disc input, you can specify a script if you wish, you can change the resolution that way, and still you could just push the go button if the rest is beyond your scope. A different design than DVD2SVCD, which looks intimidating at first.

Lazza
13th April 2004, 14:34
Yep I see what you are saying. ;)

The author said he thinks 2.6x versions of CCE should be fine with the prog it's just he is using 2.50 so that's why he won't yet guarantee full compatibility.

Not tried the new Pro version of DVD2DVD-r myself yet and it does sound good, is it freely available as I'm still on 1.81?

Fr4nz
13th April 2004, 15:22

Ux-3 I'm trying dvd2dvd-r. It is so slow in demuxing video and audio tracks....why it takes so much time? DVD-RB takes only 5-6 minutes to copy all the content demuxed!

ux-3
13th April 2004, 18:42
Originally posted by Fr4nz
Ux-3 I'm trying dvd2dvd-r. It is so slow in demuxing video and audio tracks....why it takes so much time? DVD-RB takes only 5-6 minutes to copy all the content demuxed!

I can't tell you. Since it uses CCE, I am not sitting in front of the machine to wait it through! So I don't really care if it takes five or ten minutes for the audio, when it will take hours for the video. Besides , the 2.0 Version allows for different directories for different files. So you could make full use of a second hard disk. I've already made it a habbit to put the images onto a different disk, which speeds up the process quite a bit.

For the pro Release Candidate, go the the DVD2DVD-R site. They have it for DL, but you have to "register" with the site, for free. They may offer it in other places too. Currently at RC4 level.

KungFuCow
13th April 2004, 22:03
Originally posted by GooglyBear
..you kinda miss the whole point of what DVD-RB does, do ya?

if you want main movie only without losing quality might as well just re-author it using shrink, chances are if you can't get just the movie you'll be pretty close to it.. or use DVDFAB, DVDXCOPY.. a lot of ways.. forget CCE as you're just wasting your time

the thing with DVD-RB is that it uses CCE which is so amazing that even if you keep your menus and your extras, your quality will not suffer compared to other "1click" apps..

..kinda makes me appreciate jdobbs' efforts more, bringing this kind of quality and power to n00bs and you know they're out there -.-

There's some movies DVD-RB wont do yet also, like Wierd Science R1. I yanked out the main movie and ran it through RB and it worked great. If nothing else, being able to do this saves you from having to polute up your system with another "movie only" CCE app like DVD2DVD or DVD2DVD-R.

ux-3
13th April 2004, 22:20
Originally posted by KungFuCow
...being able to do this saves you from having to polute up your system with another "movie only" CCE app like DVD2DVD or DVD2DVD-R.

Yeah, right! After all, we need many GB space for the m2v-files, so we should make sure no other App gets 5 Mb of space or pollutes the system. Come on, you can't be serious?

KungFuCow
13th April 2004, 23:14
Yeah, right! After all, we need many GB space for the m2v-files, so we should make sure no other App gets 5 Mb of space or pollutes the system. Come on, you can't be serious?

Perhaps I should have clarified. By "polluting", I am refering to other programs which change preferences in the registry and can cause funkiness with DVD-RB. By having only 1 CCE movie app installed, you run less of a risk of things getting changed without your knowledge.

ux-3
14th April 2004, 01:43
Originally posted by KungFuCow
By having only 1 CCE movie app installed, you run less of a risk of things getting changed without your knowledge.

Well, I take that risk. After all, each app has a forum. If something like that happens, you would get support.

luphy
14th April 2004, 04:58
I have DVD2DVDR but never got around to testing it since most of my backups use Shrink with movie-only and don't require much compression to warrant CCE.

I'm interested in DVDRB now to use for those few movies (LOTR, Schindler's) that would require high compression even with movie only.

The reason DVD-RB got my attention versus DVD2DVDR is because DVD-RB seeks to be a true one-click process. With NTSC and DVD2DVDR, I've read that you have to manually go into Scenarist to reauthor right? Granted, it seems simple enough, but I'm your typical lazy noob who'd choose the path of least resistance.

For users of DVD2DVDR, does it act like Shrink in that it processes the files directly from the disc and then writes the output to the hard disk or does it require all the files from the DVD, non-encrypted on the Hard Drive? One reason I love Shrink is that you don't need tons of space to process a job (and the great trimming function).

Oh, and the latest version of DVD2DVDR is able to create subtitles for NTSC sources with Scenarist without any problems? That was a huge reason why I did not use DVD2DVDR with NTSC since DVDLab only supported one audio track, and Scenarist reportedly had errors with subtitles.

Fr4nz
14th April 2004, 06:40
Well I've tried DVD2DVDR and it's terribly slow in ripping mode. It takes FOREVER, maybe more than 2 hours...i think the cause is the the CSS parameters, which you can't change in 1.8.1! Add to this that VOBs are already unencrypted!

Compared to the 6 minutes which DVD-RB takes to extract audio and video tracks, there is to be something wrong. Please help me!

relative
14th April 2004, 08:18

I'm having a little problem with Schindler's list here, cannot understand how to combine the two part (4 the movie only), u know i have the necessary space but...what have u done with dvdshrink? have u used it to combine the two part? if so could please some1 explain me how?

Thanks

ux-3
14th April 2004, 09:59
About the ripping part in DVD2DVD-R, I can't tell you. I have "polluted" my system with yet another application (Decrypter) and create ISOs to work from. This takes me less than 10 Minutes.

I do live in a PAL Country, so I have no experience with NTSC sources. I didn't know that IFOedit was PAL only??

You could always give 1.81 a try. Its free, you pick a chapter or two and let it run. An hour later, you can decide for yourself. I can only attest that for PAL, it is my standard "just the movie" tool. Its got lots of useful options, that come in handy once you've gained experience. It's successor 2.0 pro seems ideal for flippers, episodes and more advanced stuff, but is still in Release candidate stage. It worked fine for what I did with it.

If you try, you should make sure that you have
MSVCP60.DLL in System32 folder. Otherwise you get an unable to open... error. Usually Nero or some other Software does install it, but if you use a clean install, it is missing.

What it can't do is menues, which is why I tried Rebuilder, and why I follow its developement. Different tools for different jobs.

Fr4nz
14th April 2004, 10:23
I live in Italy, so I work on PALs DVDs too :)

I'll try your ISO trick!

ux-3
14th April 2004, 12:25
Originally posted by Fr4nz
I'll try your ISO trick!

I mount them using Daemon tools

Fr4nz
14th April 2004, 13:28
Yes, I was using Alcohol, so it's the same thing.

But DVD2DVDR keeps to be slow in ripping.

I think it depends from this:

http://users.libero.it/i3ltt/Cazzate%20varie/CSS.gif

As you can see these settings make the ripping process very slow...the problem is that I can't modify them since they are greyed out. It's useless to activate the "Expert mode" too, 'cause they remain greyed out. :(

ux-3
14th April 2004, 15:06
I suppose your Image is on the same physical drive? How slow is slow? Why would you wait for it to complete? I can't change those defaults either

Fr4nz
14th April 2004, 17:39
Dunno man. :(