PDA

View Full Version : New matroska playback packs released - 1.0.2

ChristianHJW
1st April 2004, 12:15
Hi,

i have the pleasure to announce the new matroska playback packs

Matroska_Pack_Full_v1.0.2.exe (http://dl.matroska.org/counter/download.php?id=1)
Matroska_Pack_Lite_v1.0.2.exe (http://dl.matroska.org/counter/download.php?id=2)
Matroska_Pack_MPEG4_v1.0.2.exe (http://dl.matroska.org/counter/download.php?id=3)

for download from the usual download space on

http://packs.matroska.org

The old 1.0.1 versions will stay up for some time, until we are sure the 1.02 versions work perfectly stable. Also we decided to announce the new packs here first, and will wait for announcement on other fora until we get some feedback from the community about the stability and usability.

Changes :

- Morgan Stream Switcher ( mmswitch, matroska version by Dcoder ) was installed by default by the old pack, but unfortunately was causing conflicts with some of the codec packs out there, leading to general playback problems or even to a complete DirectShow Media playback failure in some very severe cases. Although the new packs contain a fixed version of mmswitch ( many thanks to Dcoder for that ), we decided to not install it by default in the new packs, and even to uninstall the old filters from the old packs unless the installation box gets ticked by the user. Instead we added a disclaimer, informing people about the existence of better players such as MPC, TCMP, Zoomplayer and BSplayer, and when mmswitch is actually needed ( playback of multi-audio MKV files in WMP ).

- Matrix Mixer Filter : same as for mmswitch, its not installed by default any longer, but we wont remove old filters

- The RealMedia pack was dropped because most RV9 fans anyhow choose the Full Pack, and a new, Lite Pack was introduced, containing only
* matroska spliter
* matroska muxer
* CoreVorbis
* vsfilter

Updated Filter List :

- matroska splitter 1.0.2.3
- matroska muxer 1.0.0.8
- vsfilter 2.33
- mmswitch 0.99 ( matroska edition, not installed by default )
- CoreAAC 1.0b9
- CoreVorbis 1.0b6
- CoreFLAC decoder 0.3b4
- ac3filter 0.70b ( fixed version from DCoder )
- Matrix Mixer 0.30b ( not installed by default )
- ffdshow 2003-05-23
- RealMediaSplitter 1.0.0.9
- MatroskaProp 2.6 ( not installed by default )

New, tested features of the latest matroska splitter :

- MPEG2 video playback from MKV
- automatic Fonts loading from MKV file attachement
- for native MPEG4 playback, FourCC 'MP4V' will be called instead of 'mp4v', to be compatible with latest ffdshow builds

Have fun testing :) ... and BTW : we now have a counter (http://dl.matroska.org/counter/packs.php) because we are curious how many fans the pack has meanwhile :D !

Credits :

Special thanks goes to

Gabest .... :) ... do i really need to say more ;) ?
Nibor ..... great work on the new packs Robin !
atomic ... for the new, fast download server and the wonderful PHP counter
DCoder ... for matroska version of mmswitch and the fixed ac3filter
Toff .... CoreVorbis and CoreAAC just rock, thank you so much for them !
Jcsston ... go go Jory ;) ...... we're all waiting for the first TCME alphas :D !
Milan and the new guys working on ffdshow
The whole matroska team, especially Mosu, robux4, Cyrius, spyder and Pamel
The Corecodec Team

and last but not least

all you matroska lovers and users on Doom9, for your great support and the excellent feedback we get from you !!

bond
1st April 2004, 12:25
Originally posted by ChristianHJW
- for native MPEG4 playback, FourCC 'MP4V' will be called instead of 'mp4v', to be compatible with latest ffdshow buildsffdshow supports "mp4v" again for some time already
so to say the latest official sourceforge build supports "mp4v" and the latest athos compiles too

edit: the xvid decoder also supports "mp4v" now

filewalker
1st April 2004, 16:30
Thanks Nibor for your updated packs...now i can burn my newest movies with your "up to date" pack. :)

Cu filewalker

Nibor
1st April 2004, 18:54
No problem :)

And I promise that the next version of the packs will be released faster!!
But hey, it's better to wait some time for good packs than get bad packs immediately, isn't it ;)

Cheers!
Nibor

Rash
2nd April 2004, 02:50
Thanks a lot Nibor. ;)

jkwarras
2nd April 2004, 08:30
Thanks for this build :D

cweb
2nd April 2004, 15:01
Thanks for producing a lite pack (with no ffdshow)!

oddball
3rd April 2004, 00:59
Now we just need a new non-alpha ffdshow.

ChristianHJW
3rd April 2004, 09:13
Originally posted by oddball
Now we just need a new non-alpha ffdshow. ... well said !

And, if ever possible, also a 'lite' version without all the audio decoding, and especially without FFvfw :( .....

scrat
3rd April 2004, 10:53
Hey!

Thanks a lot for the new Matroska pack!

cu, scrat

ChristianHJW
7th April 2004, 05:55
Just to inform you :

We have crossed the 20 GB line already, approaching the 10,000 th download :) ..... all that in less than one week :D ....

scrat
7th April 2004, 11:18
hey!

wow, not bad!
it looks like the people love matroska...

cu, scrat

DAvenger
7th April 2004, 18:39
Originally posted by scrat
hey!

wow, not bad!
it looks like the people love matroska...

Hey, even we have implemented support for Matroska (currently only audio streams) into RadLight 4 today :p Support for subtitle streams, chapters and fileinfo/tagging is coming soon ;)

cweb
10th April 2004, 10:59
I was getting crashes with this pack in my MPC when playing mkv files (XviD latest version), so I had to remove it and reinstall the previous one which solved the problem. Os is win98se directx8.0b.

Hmm.. I'll have to keep using the old one for the time being
The error I get is the following - MPC still plays the videoclip but it brings up 'this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down' with these details:

MPLAYERC caused an invalid page fault in
module MATROSKASPLITTER.AX at 0167:043bd921.
Registers:
EAX=009cf970 CS=0167 EIP=043bd921 EFLGS=00010297
EBX=0000001a SS=016f ESP=009cf900 EBP=009cf9a8
ECX=009cfa60 DS=016f ESI=012154b8 FS=68c7
EDX=043b47e0 ES=016f EDI=044f04a4 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
dd 3b 04 00 00 00 00 ac 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10
Stack dump:
009cf8e8 0000000f 009cf95c 00594148 0063c8f8 ffffffff 0059790b 005b4a3d 0132de70 0000002f 009cf958 0000000f 00000010 00000000 0000001a 0040159c

Hmm.. some more testing: Zoom Player plays the clip without problems, no invalid page faults. MPC can play the clip if I set it to use its internal matroska decoding as a workaround.
Thus: I can use the new pack - but I have to use the workaround for MPC. I hope you can fix it. Not just for me, because I am technical enough to able to do this, but for other people who might not know this.

malkion
11th April 2004, 05:50
not sure of the inner workings, however...

using the new 1.0.2 pack i was having problems with subtitles being displayed in mpc, unless i switch to windows 7/9 renderless.

using the older 1.0.1 pack, u can set defaults in mpc and with dvobsub, there was absolutely no problems with subtitles.

can this be brought back in future packs pls?

(this is applicable for both ogm and mkv containers...)

ChristianHJW
11th April 2004, 08:33
Have you tested with other players also ? Note that the matroska playback packs are no MPC packs ....

malkion
11th April 2004, 13:28
hmm, the only difference i can tell is 1.0.1 came with vsfilter 2.32, whilst 1.0.2 comes with vsfilter 2.33.

if this is the case, no worries, i'm sure gabest will have a newer version of mpc which should have a fix. for some reason, vsfilter 2.32 enables dvobsub in the player, 2.33 does not which then must be set with the renderless option in the player (this causes ugly-sized subs when switching between windowed and fullscreen).

unless the culprit is the newest matroska splitter. i really dont know what's causing this (it happens with ogm containers as well, so shouldn't be the splitter). so it's no biggie. making do with 1.0.1 in the mean time and quite happy with it. cheers!

[edited- see below] OS is windows xp.

Nibor
11th April 2004, 13:45
@cweb
Have you tested it with other clips also or is it just with one?
What version of Media Player Classic do you use, is the version of the internal MatroskaSplitter the same as in the packs or older?

@malkion
In the v1.0.2 packs we use VSFilter 2.33 in v1.0.1 we use VSFilter 2.32, so maybe it's a bug in VSFilter 2.33...
I was so slow, you already said that :D
Hmm, which Windows do you use?

I first thought there might be a bug in the Windows version detection code but I checked it and it works properly.

Is anyone else having problems like these?

KitnaIsntHappy
11th April 2004, 15:34
I don't use the pack but here's my 2c.
If I use the external matroska splitter and disable MPC internal splitter I get the error. This has happened since 6.4.8.1.
Enabling the internal splitter seems to work fine though.
I just set MPC to block the external filter.

Cheers

IvS
11th April 2004, 22:13
And, if ever possible, also a 'lite' version without all the audio decoding, and especially without FFvfw :( .....
The audio decoding is not a bad thing now is it? Sure, it might be better if people used the included audio filters, which are all quite nice, but like it or not, FFDSHOW offers a complete MPEG solution, which happens to include audio.

FFVFW is not a bad thing now is it? It's a fine encoder in experimental stages, which i'm sure some people would like to test. It might not be as stable as XviD, or even fully MPEG-4 specs compatible, but it's a work in progress and it would only benefit everybody if it was tested by more people.

As for a lite version, of course, it's a very good idea. Especially good for this type of bundling in the Matroska package. Hopefuly some people can help make that happen. Currently most of, if not all the work is done by Milan.

cweb
18th April 2004, 18:56
Originally posted by Nibor
@cweb
Have you tested it with other clips also or is it just with one?
What version of Media Player Classic do you use, is the version of the internal MatroskaSplitter the same as in the packs or older?

Is anyone else having problems like these?

It happens with all clips and the latest version of mpc when I use the
external Matroska splitter from the pack. It doesn't happen when I use the one internal to mpc which is what I'm using now with mpc.

Nibor
20th April 2004, 21:01
Hmm, I have no idea what exactly causes the error.

But since I'm not the author of MatroskaSplitters and not of MPC I can't do anything... I suppose Gabest has to fix it!

Wait, can you try a last time with mplayer2?
Just do Start -> Run -> "mplayer2" and try to play a mkv file..
Because, I don't know if ZoomPlayer has something internal like MPC..

- Nibor

omion
20th April 2004, 22:24
Originally posted by cweb
It happens with all clips and the latest version of mpc when I use the
external Matroska splitter from the pack. It doesn't happen when I use the one internal to mpc which is what I'm using now with mpc.

I posted this on the "alternative matroska splitter" (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54560) thread, but I'll post here too. I've been getting what appears to be the same problem as you. I've got windows XP, so the error message is different, but the situations are the same. MPC crashes when I use matroskasplitter 1.0.2.2 or 1.0.2.3. Nothing else crashes (TCMP, ZoomPlayer, mplayer2), just MPC.

I've tried eveything I can think of, but MPC just will not play matroskas with the new splitter. :(

KitnaIsntHappy
21st April 2004, 14:54
MPC just will not play matroskas with the new splitter
They new splitter is one of the internals so just got to :
Options > Filters > Overrides and block your Matroska Splitter. Make sure that you enable the internal filter.

Cheers

omion
21st April 2004, 20:43
Originally posted by KitnaIsntHappy
They new splitter is one of the internals so just got to :
Options > Filters > Overrides and block your Matroska Splitter. Make sure that you enable the internal filter.

I know how to change the splitter preference, and I still have the old filters that work. What I was trying to say is that I can't get MPC to work when it's using the new splitter. Using the internal splitter, or an older external, works just fine.

Thanks for replying!

KitnaIsntHappy
22nd April 2004, 15:40
Originally posted by omion
I know how to change the splitter preference, and I still have the old filters that work. What I was trying to say is that I can't get MPC to work when it's using the new splitter. Using the internal splitter, or an older external, works just fine.

Thanks for replying!

Sorry I misunderstood. I have the exact same problem and have posted a bug on the guliverkli sourceforge site for it.

Cheers

omion
22nd April 2004, 22:16
Originally posted by KitnaIsntHappy
Sorry I misunderstood. I have the exact same problem and have posted a bug on the guliverkli sourceforge site for it.
No apology necessary. I appreciate people trying to help. ;)

Nibor
22nd April 2004, 23:05
KitnaIsntHappy, thank you for posting the bug, I hope Gabest can fix it soon!...

By the way, the number of downloads is now over 30'000.... :).... :D.... * insert an even bigger smile here * ;)

Cheers!!
- me -

cweb
30th April 2004, 19:25
Originally posted by Nibor
Wait, can you try a last time with mplayer2?
Just do Start -> Run -> "mplayer2" and try to play a mkv file..
Because, I don't know if ZoomPlayer has something internal like MPC..

- Nibor

Tried it - it works fine with mplayer2.

cweb
30th April 2004, 19:26
Using the internal splitter, or an older external, works just fine.

I'm using the internal one too and it works just fine..

cweb
30th April 2004, 19:27
No apology necessary. I appreciate people trying to help. ;)

People trying to help are just fantastic.

Nibor
30th April 2004, 20:24
Originally posted by cweb
Tried it - it works fine with mplayer2.

So then it's definitely a bug in Media Player Classic and we can do nothing but waiting for Gabest..

jk888
3rd May 2004, 07:11
Can we add the latest ffdshow to the Matroska Pack? It's got alot of bugs fixed now, especially one annoying one where artifacts would appear with encodes from Xvid 6of9-hvs custom matricies. Now all my 6of9-hvs plays fine, this is really awesome! Please please please can we update the ffdshow?

McoreD
3rd May 2004, 10:27
Guys, thanks for introducing the Matroska Lite Pack. Please continue to release a simple pack like that. :)

ChristianHJW
4th May 2004, 13:21
Originally posted by jk888 Can we add the latest ffdshow to the Matroska Pack? ... yes, sure, as soon as we get a compile of ffdshow without ffvfw included.

I was asking about such a 'ffdshow lite' in a poll here, that unfortunately turned into a flamewar and was then locked by bond after only a couple of hours .....

jk888
4th May 2004, 16:35
... yes, sure, as soon as we get a compile of ffdshow without ffvfw included.

I was asking about such a 'ffdshow lite' in a poll here, that unfortunately turned into a flamewar and was then locked by bond after only a couple of hours .....

Yeah I was there when that happened, I agree a lite version is preferred but maybe that thread should be worded slightly differently just to keep on topic. But the chances of that happening now is close to nil, so why fight it anymore, there's always a good side and bad side to everything.

Booji Boy
14th May 2004, 15:41
Hmm, when I try to install the new pack 1.0.2 (Full), then I get these errors:

"Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files\Matroska Pack\*.ax"

Nibor
14th May 2004, 16:05
Hi!

It seems that you don't have the rights for writing in the 'Program Files' directory.. Is that true?