PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Classic sound problem

Renzz
23rd March 2004, 15:51
I've just started using Media Player Classic but have a problem playing back DVDs I have authored that use MP2 sound rather than AC3 (I believe this is legal in the DVD spec for PAL discs - only NTSC have to have an AC3 track).

Basically, I get no sound. If I look at the filter properties it loads up the AC3 filter rather than the MPEG Audio which I think is the cause of the problem.

Is there any way round this?

gabest
23rd March 2004, 21:33
The internal audio decoder should decode mp2 too, it's the same filter. Does it play if you just open the vob as a file? Could you make me a very small dvd with mp2 audio to test?

Renzz
23rd March 2004, 21:45
Yes, it plays fine if I open the VOB file. Play/Filters then shows it as using the MPEG-1 Audio Filter (not the AC3 filter).

I've put together a l0Mb DVD - how can I send it to you?

gabest
23rd March 2004, 22:04
Thanks! My ftp address is ftp://gabest.dyndns.org:2121 l/p: login/password

Renzz
23rd March 2004, 23:15
File has been uploaded - dvdmp2.zip

gabest
23rd March 2004, 23:45
It's strange, I can hear the sound here. Are you sure it was the internal ac3 filter loaded and not the external "ac3filter"? (Has it got a property page?) Is the internal ac3 decoder enabled in the options?

Renzz
24th March 2004, 09:49
Ok, this is where I eat humble pie! It was the external AC3 filter that was being used - the internal one was unticked in Options. I've ticked it and it now works fine. I'm sure I went through these filters and checked them before but maybe I didn't think to check the AC3 one when my DVD wasn't using AC3.

Anyway, thanks for all your help in checking this - it's always the simple things.