PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rebuilder (CCE One-Click Beta v0.46) Comments and Suggestions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 01:34
In an effort to try and reduce the reading associated with the DVD-RB Mega-thread I've added this thread as a place to make any comments and/or suggestions associated with features, results, etc. As it seems there are numerous issues associated with how worker apps (like CCE or AVISYNTH) are configured to work with DVD-RB, any quick-configuration guides (maybe cut-and-pasted from the mega-thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72691) you may want to post would also be greatly appreciated.

Please post any bug reports in the DVD-RB sister thread dedicated to bug reports. It is located here (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73050).

I will also attempt to keep the link below up-to-date so you can always come to the first page of this thread to get the latest version of the beta.

The latest version can be found here. (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75452)

Note: Some browsers may need to "Refresh" to get the most current version.

Most of all I want to thank all the beta-testers for giving such great feedback.

You can find brief installation and usage instructions on this post/page. (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73051&postid=465822)

StifflerStealth
21st March 2004, 02:36
This is a suggestion. It is based off of something somebaody else said about templates. This is mainly for those that like to tweak the BitRate settings.

Have two ecl files. One file will have all the data that is the same between all the cells. The second file will have the [item] stuff like title, cbr_brate, vbr_bias, opv_brate_min/max, vbr_brate_avg/min/max, vbr_pass. the vid_file0, vaf_file, aud_file are different, but are based on the title name, when the Item ecl file create, the "template" plus the data from the file that list the indivual fils plus the vid_file... created from the title name and the path.

This will keep the file size low and all the stuff that people need to edit will be in a group. Plus the template file can be used from project to project, so the program would not need to redo something.

Just a suggestion that is not too important, and can be dismissed totally.

Stiff

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 02:53
@StifflerStealth

I was actually thinking about doing this at some point for .AVS files and could do it for .ECL as well. How's this sound: I can have an edit window come up with all the parameters as they would have been created but with some kind of token (e.g "%file" for the name of the input file) for parameters that will be fed by DVD-RB. Then the editor could change any settings as he/she sees fit before the writing starts...

StifflerStealth
21st March 2004, 03:08
That sounds really good as long as it's easier to make changes. Would one need to switch to advanced mode to do? I thought you mentioned in that big thread that you had planned to have an option to set what VTSes/PGCs are main and which are extras, and there would be a place in the settings to set extras at xxxx bitrate and yy passes, and then the main maovie marked files would get teh remaining space distributed between them equally at some lower bitrate.

I think that might be easier to do. This is the sole reason I edit the ecl file. If DVD-RB had this option, I don't think I would need to edit the ecl file again, but I think knowing that I could is a great comfort.

Cheerio,
Stiff

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 03:16
@StifflerStealth

It may be a while before I put an editing capability in, but I'm planing to do the distribution of bitrates based on the original DVD in the next revision (barring small bugfix releases). I also plan to have the bitrate distribution between the main VTS and other (extra) VTSs in the near future.

StifflerStealth
21st March 2004, 03:23
Kewl, sweet, ... more positive comments. No hurry. I have a lot of patience. I mean I've been trying to back up this one DVD for the past month, so I can definatly wait for a new version.

Stiff

Paced
21st March 2004, 03:28
@jdobbs

Is it possible to add certain lines to both the AVS and ECL files for a given VTS set? I was thinking maybe you could allow us to right-click on any VTS we wish, and have various options to choose from - here's a few options that come to mind:

- de-interlacing (Telecide/Decimate/FieldDeinterlace)

- if you do intend to add 1/2 D1 for extras in the future (I remember reading it somewhere in the last thread), you might also want to add an option to keep the stream interlaced, which requires editing of the AVS script (SeparateFields/Weave, etc.). And, of course, an option to de-interlace it if the user wishes to do so.

- setting the appropriate tags (progressive/ZigZag or alt. scanning order/TFF or BFF, etc.) for the ECL.

I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement, but something like this for DVD-RB's future would be excellent :)

Also, great work on DVD-RB's progress so far, and thanks for sharing it :)

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 03:34
@Paced,Is it possible to add certain lines to both the AVS and ECL files for a given VTS set? Yeah, I can do that. But I have to be careful how I implement it. It's one of those things that experienced users will find nice -- but can confuse the hell out of the average folks. I still want to concentrate on making this the "easy" way to do CCE backups of a DVD.

Paced
21st March 2004, 03:45
Originally posted by jdobbs
@Paced, Yeah, I can do that. But I have to be careful how I implement it. It's one of those things that experienced users will find nice -- but can confuse the hell out of the average folks. I still want to concentrate on making this the "easy" way to do CCE backups of a DVD.

Very true :) AVS scripts are easy to get around (because it's not crucial to edit them in the program's current state). But, what I'm worried about is the CCE settings that 'average folks' may have trouble with. For example, DVD extras are usually interlaced, and getting DVD-RB to set the appropriate CCE tags for these streams is a challenge. The only way I see DVD-RB getting around this (without manual intervention from the user), is if it is able to scan each VTS set before creating the ECL, and determining which CCE tags go where, or whether they should be turned on or off :eek:

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 03:58
There's also the option of using the newer CCE encoders' option to do 3:2 pulldown recognition.

I already scan the file and can tell you exactly which frames are interlaced, field based, telecined... The problem is with the NTSC sources that switch back and forth between telecined and not telecined every few GOPs.

StifflerStealth
21st March 2004, 04:18
There's also the option of using the newer CCE encoders' option to do 3:2 pulldown recognition.

I already scan the file and can tell you exactly which frames are interlaced, field based, telecined... The problem is with the NTSC sources that switch back and forth between telecined and not telecined every few GOPs.

Add a new option to demux by GOP :D.

Actually, if a file is both, I just say to my self, "OK, which is it the most", and then pretend the entire file is that way. I think CCE 2.67 can tell the difference are something, because the video come out perfect all the way through. One would never know that it is both. Well, that's just my experience. I might of had false positives or something.

Stiff

Rombaldi
21st March 2004, 05:25
@Paced, Yeah, I can do that. But I have to be careful how I implement it. It's one of those things that experienced users will find nice -- but can confuse the hell out of the average folks. I still want to concentrate on making this the "easy" way to do CCE backups of a DVD.

I can see one place where you have the AVS options (.19) that appear to be global should be on a VTS basis.. the 'Resize to D1' is something I would want to do to the extras, not the whole disc, the tantelizing '4:3 LBX to 16:9' and 'zoom 2.35 to 16:9' as well. Those would be great for the main movies that are 4:3LB ot 2.35, but on more than one disc I've seen the extras be 4:3 full frame (converting those would not be pretty).

chadp1a
21st March 2004, 05:30
Hi everyone. Great program jdobbs.

Using DVDRB .19 set for QuEnc.

When trying to view the avs files created using windows media player, I receive an error from the player stating that I do not have the proper codec. If I choose CCE as the encoder the avs files play fine.

Any ideas anyone?

wmansir
21st March 2004, 05:32

I would not rely on CCE's internal pulldown detection method as it is not very accurate. It is often too agressive on interlaced video, causing jerky ouput, yet ineffecient on true telecined material. For instance I used it on some Buffy episodes, which D2V reported as 95% film, but CCE's ouput was only ~70% film.

Also, in order to use CCE's Pulldown detection the timecode must NOT be set to 00:00:00, which can cause problems with some authoring programs. Let me clarify that to say: CCE's Pulldown detection will FAIL if the timecode is 00:00:00, but some programs need it set to that in order to accept the file. Of course since you are writing the program in this case you could work around it, but just FYI.

And on another subject, could you clarify if the current builds work with seamless branching? I know you mentioned interleaving is disabled, but I'm unsure if that relates only to Angles or seamless branching too.

djan
21st March 2004, 07:36
Hi, just to know for when the true vbr taking in count the entire movie and not doing by cell. Again, very thx for this prog, it rules.

JvD
21st March 2004, 10:01
@jdobbs

Normally, when recoding or transcoding I find it much faster to have different source drives. Reading on one source and writing on another. The same goes for authoring. Is it possible to make this an option? At least for the authoring part.

robot1
21st March 2004, 10:23
If it's possible, could you implement in future per-vts options?
Many DVD have extras interlaced and 4/3
Options should be different there:
the avs should use converttoyuy2(interlaced=true)
And even "resize to half D1" or "Convert from LB 4:3 to 16:9" should be per VTS.

Anyway, great great prog.

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 10:32
Originally posted by chadp1a
Hi everyone. Great program jdobbs.

Using DVDRB .19 set for QuEnc.

When trying to view the avs files created using windows media player, I receive an error from the player stating that I do not have the proper codec. If I choose CCE as the encoder the avs files play fine.

Any ideas anyone? It's probably the YV12 requirement. Search the forum for YV12 and you should find something.

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 10:39
@wmansir,And on another subject, could you clarify if the current builds work with seamless branching? I know you mentioned interleaving is disabled, but I'm unsure if that relates only to Angles or seamless branching too.Sorry, not yet. Generally both seamless branching and angles use interleaving. Right now all I do is take note of it and mark them. I don't reinterleave them yet. It will come.

3coola
21st March 2004, 16:10
@wmansir,Sorry, not yet. Generally both seamless branching and angles use interleaving. Right now all I do is take note of it and mark them. I don't reinterleave them yet. It will come.

It's pretty easy to see if a movie is seamless branching or has angles, but there would be even easier if DVDrebuilder could give me a note about wheter the movie is suitable or not for use with DVDrebuilder. I have came across several movies that have button-over-video in some extra materials, but main movie is ok to use with DVDrebuilder or Big3. One can always use different programs for main movie and extras, but then it's not one-click anymore ...
So a message when movie is seamless branching, has angles or button-over-video would be nice!
And the ultimate goal I suppose is to manage all these types within DVDrebuilder?!
For the movies like Anger Management or Legally Blonde 2 that has many extras but only one small of them is button-over-video (there are questioners in them), perhaps it is not so hard to have a option in DVDrebuilder of leaving the entire VTS as is?

Btw, good work with this tool! Do you sleep at all during the nghts?

Kakashi Sensei
21st March 2004, 16:49
I have Alredy PM'ed jdobbs about this, and was wondering what you guys thought. I had a problem with my PC shutting down when CCE Was encoding using DVD-RB b/c i'm a goof and like to do other things while I encode and accidently hit the shut down CCE after encoding.

Well My friend wrote a program that hides CCE while it encodes and you only see a flash when a new window pops up. Its not very big in size and works really well. Let me know. :)

jeremymacmull
21st March 2004, 19:30
Just a question

Is your final aim for this proggie to be like DVDshrink

ie Really easy to use and transcode a dvd 9 to a dvd 5 with or without the extras etc but in your case using a much better transcoder such as CCE (or encoder if you like)

typically involving very few clicks and setting up and also having a GUI with all the info ie differing compression for the main movie vs the extras.

COS for me DVDshrink is perfect but imost of the time i ditch the extras to get good quality

if with your tool i can get good quality AND keep the extras due to the fact that CCE is a much better mpeg2 encoder then i would definately switch and im sure so would a lot of others.

I dont mean to pester i would just be interested in what your final aims for this proggie are if im way off course then fair do's

JEREMY

robgarib
21st March 2004, 19:31
Please where i can download QuEnc?
I want to try it with dvd rebuilder 0.21 but i don't find any result in doom9 and in google search.
Thanks

NobbyNobbs
21st March 2004, 19:47
For QEnc, look in the "Other MPEG Encoders" forum here at Doom9:D

DMagic1
21st March 2004, 20:04
I saw that you added the ability to change the color of the app. I never like the original color but I thought it was just a primer until you added a nice coat of paint to it. Do you plan on changing the look of it later after all, or most of the bugs have been fixed? I thing it would also be nice if it was skinnable.

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 20:24
@jeremymacmullReally easy to use and transcode a dvd 9 to a dvd 5 with or without the extras etc but in your case using a much better transcoder such as CCE (or encoder if you like)You hit the nail on the head. My goal is to create a simple-to-use transcoder that also gives you high quality. Unfortunately the only programs that do that either use within-the-compressed-domain shrinking or an inferior quality encoder. I wanted, with this app, to make it possible to use any host of encoders -- but especially CCE. For $59 you can get unparalleled quality -- but you then have to author it back to DVD. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds.

jdobbs
21st March 2004, 20:28
Originally posted by DMagic1
I saw that you added the ability to change the color of the app. I never like the original color but I thought it was just a primer until you added a nice coat of paint to it. Do you plan on changing the look of it later after all, or most of the bugs have been fixed? I thing it would also be nice if it was skinnable. Hadn't given it much thought. I just implemented the ability to change colors because I got complaints about my ugly choice...

robot1
21st March 2004, 23:21
I read that DVD-RB needs files ripped on hd and not mounted with daemon tools. Could you check at the beginning that you can write in the selected path? Many users don't read the docs...

KungFuCow
21st March 2004, 23:25
Im ripping from mounted drives via Alcohol 120% and its worked perfectly.

StifflerStealth
22nd March 2004, 00:36
I too can confirm that iso's mounted with Alcohol work. I have not had a single problem. here just might be something about the daemon tools driver that doesn't cause it to work right. In fact, daemon tools has always created some issuse with Windows for me. All the guides I've read say that the source should always be an iso mounted becase you know you will never be able to screw up the files, so i had to find something that worked. Alcohol 52% is the Virtual drive only and a little cheaper.

@All: Maybe we should have people post if they have a different virtual drive that works to give people more choices. I know there are many virtual drives out there like Nero, Pinnacle, ....

Stiff

djan
22nd March 2004, 00:55
I use Alcohol 120% too and it works well.

djan
22nd March 2004, 00:59
Is it possible to set the CCE priority level when using DVDRB ? I would like it runs in low priority as I would like to use my PC while encoding. Thx.

EDIT: I read this in CCE Forum in the FAQ :

Q9: Can I work in other programs while CCE encodes?

Most certainly yes! The only thing you want to make sure in this case is that your system is stable and that CCE doesn't use so much CPU time so reasonable processing power is still available to other applications. To do this, run CCE with a lower process priority via the following batch file:

code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off
start "CCE" /LOW <path to CCE executable>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replace <path to CCE executable> with the full path to the CCE executable (and remember to put it in quotes if it contains spaces) and create a link to the batch file on your desktop, run CCE via that link.

Jdobbs, can you implement this please ?

DDogg
22nd March 2004, 01:54
djan, if you are using eclcce with later versions of cce, just run it, go to the eclcce options in the standard option dialog in CCE, and set cce process priority to idle.

djan
22nd March 2004, 01:57
The problem is I'm using CCE 2.50 SP and there is nothing about.

huesage
22nd March 2004, 04:44
@ All:

I was curious if someone could please tell me a little about the CCE settings. Is there a rule of thumb on CCE settings for getting the best quality out of encodes?

VBR_Bias: ?
Quality_Prec: ?

Any help on this topic would be apreciated, for the time beeing I will just work with the default settings. If anyone would like to give me an explanation as to what those settings do, that would also be great !

I thank you all in advance for your help.

@ jdobbs:

Amazing work, my jaw is on the floor.

djan
22nd March 2004, 04:50
Originally posted by huesage
@ All:

I was curious if someone could please tell me a little about the CCE settings. Is there a rule of thumb on CCE settings for getting the best quality out of encodes?

VBR_Bias: ?
Quality_Prec: ?

... It was what I was asking for in the other thread and in CCE section. Waiting for an answer. :) I would like to know more too.

3coola
22nd March 2004, 06:40
Originally posted by robot1
I read that DVD-RB needs files ripped on hd and not mounted with daemon tools. Could you check at the beginning that you can write in the selected path? Many users don't read the docs...
I use daemon tools and it works fine. (DVD decrypted first, then making the image in Nero).

djan
22nd March 2004, 06:42
Originally posted by 3coola
I use daemon tools and it works fine. (DVD decrypted first, then making the image in Nero). Huh, why to not create immediately the ISO with DVD Decrypter ?

RobertR
22nd March 2004, 14:02
I'm quite acustomed with Big3 method and am currently testing DVD ReBuilder. This looks just awsome and i bow to jdobbs for all his work.
When using Big3 it's relatively easy to add/replace subtitle to dvd beeing backed up (matter of dropping specially named sst and bitmaps into subs dir). From what i've seen during my tests (ok i've never made it to ReBuild stage i'm just fooling around with encoders atm) things like adding subs is not possible at the moment. Will you consider making some option for this?
Does DVDReBuild at current stage recompress menus?

Best regards
Robert

djan
22nd March 2004, 17:37
No, it doesn't encode the menus. It copies them like they are.

jdobbs
22nd March 2004, 18:14
Originally posted by RobertR
I'm quite acustomed with Big3 method and am currently testing DVD ReBuilder. This looks just awsome and i bow to jdobbs for all his work.
When using Big3 it's relatively easy to add/replace subtitle to dvd beeing backed up (matter of dropping specially named sst and bitmaps into subs dir). From what i've seen during my tests (ok i've never made it to ReBuild stage i'm just fooling around with encoders atm) things like adding subs is not possible at the moment. Will you consider making some option for this?
Does DVDReBuild at current stage recompress menus?

Best regards
Robert Currently all existing original subtitles are kept intact when rebuilding. So there really isn't a necessity for extracting, reencoding, and readding subtitles.

robgarib
22nd March 2004, 18:40
Can you put in a next version the possibility like in dvd shrink or in other transcoders to decrease quality of extra material in the dvd increasing the final quality of the main movie?

2COOL
22nd March 2004, 18:54
DVD2DVD-R gives us a detection status on what kind of video we are dealing with prior to. Possibly, a feature to do one like this or have a seperate pane displaying what we are dealing with prior or in real-time. e.g. interlaced, progressive, pulldown, etc...

petesafool
23rd March 2004, 01:14
Hi all,

Since v0.16 haven't had any trouble at all:

Labyrinth/r2/pal
Behind Enemy Lines/r2/pal
Predator SE/r2/pal

Only failure was PIRATES OF THE CARIBEAN DISC 1 which i've posted in the ERRORS thread (might be the still frame issue).

JDOBBS you deserve every donation!!! As much for IFOedit and IFOupdate as well as this prog.

I would certainly like to see some of the 'advanced' options that others have asked for, but I have one that nobody else seems to have requested (or cares about?) - the ripping/inclusion of DVD-ROM features when calculating bitrates.

NobbyNobbs
23rd March 2004, 01:40
Although he deserves a lot of credit both for DVD-RB, and ifoupdate, I believe that Derrow deserves a little credit for IfoEdit, don`t you think ? :D :D

StifflerStealth
23rd March 2004, 01:43
I don't know if this is a bug or not, so I would like some help with the problem before I post a bug report.

I am using version 0.21, and one of my DVDs is dectected at 23.976 fps. DIF4U detects the majority of the cells at 29.976 fps. In DVD-RB I set the treshhold at 50% and 90%, but I get the same results. It is a TV episodal disk. Is there any free program I can use to analyse the video to see what it truely is. The settings from DIF4U look better when of film is encoded at segment that the believed rate of 29.97 compared to the believed rate of 23.976 fps that DVD-RB gives. There are fewer interlace lines. I looked at the AVS file and I made sure "ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)" was in there. Even though DVD-RB is giving 23.976, should I put "Telecide()" in the AVS files?

Thanks,
Stiff

jdobbs
23rd March 2004, 04:11
All: Sorry for the delay and sparse postings. I've had a problem with my Internet connection all day, and the COMCAST phone-guy wanted to argue about it. Sigh... He thinks 5Kbs upstream is acceptable when he can't see the problem from his end...

Anyway here is the latest Beta of DVD-RB (v0.22) The fixes/updates are listed below:

- Corrected some bugs in way pointers were being inserted into the NAVPACK audio sync tables. I'm hoping this was the source of some reported audio problems.

- Fixed the Run-time error " '52' Bad file name or number error ". This would only happen when attempting to perform two complete (Prepare, Encode, and Rebuild) sessions without restarting. I left a flag incorrectly enabled following completion of a Rebuild.

- Implemented a size limit on VTSs to be processed. Now very small VTSs that have virtually no data involved are simply copied as-is and are not processed. This eliminates unnecessary recoding and some possible gotchas.

- Added an option to the audio select panel of SETUP that enables automatic removal of all DTS streams. I personally never keep them, so I added this for me.

- Added the "Batch Processing" feature. It lets you select from saved project files and execute muliple jobs -- nice for overnight work.

Also I think I've narrowed down the problem with the "green flash" and troubles with cells that some people are experiencing. It seems to be related to the way I demux into Cells when you are using ReJig mode. Not ReJig's problem -- mine.

Thx: jdobbs

Look in the first post of this thread to get the latest version

KungFuCow
23rd March 2004, 04:14
JDobbs, any bug fixes in this release that may cure the FFWD and RWD problems?

StifflerStealth
23rd March 2004, 04:33
I DLed 0.22, and the zip file was corrupted.

Stiff

onesoul
23rd March 2004, 04:34
Currently all existing original subtitles are kept intact when rebuilding. So there really isn't a necessity for extracting, reencoding, and readding subtitles.

Hi, I think what RobertR was asking is an option to add/remove a subtitle in a language that was not on the DVD. (I wish I knew how to do that :o)
Although I hadn't got around to try dvd-rbv, I can see it is really something, thanks for making it available :)
One question: do you allow the user to edit the avisynth scripts or something like having default filters? (sorry if this doesn't apply)

Cheers

2COOL
23rd March 2004, 04:36
C:\DVD Tools\DVD Rebuilder\0.22\dvd-rbv022.zip: Either multipart or corrupt ZIP archive

:(

StifflerStealth
23rd March 2004, 04:37
Originally posted by onesoul
One question: do you allow the user to edit the avisynth scripts or something like having default filters? (sorry if this doesn't apply)

I edit them all the time. You can edit the avs and ecl files. You need to be in three step mode though.

Stiff

Oldeman
23rd March 2004, 04:40
DVD-RB v.22 is only 25k and is corrupted.
But I love It ..am I crazy or what?

lab-one
23rd March 2004, 04:43
jdobb's post states he is having problems uploading the file....

bigskank
23rd March 2004, 04:43
i got the same corruption problem on the zip.

Also, does anyone know if there is a guide somewhere on this yet? I know in beta testing it's kinda hard to do, but I think a lot of people (myself included) are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the super-mega-threads that have developed around this.

StifflerStealth
23rd March 2004, 05:01
Originally posted by bigskank
Also, does anyone know if there is a guide somewhere on this yet? I know in beta testing it's kinda hard to do, but I think a lot of people (myself included) are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the super-mega-threads that have developed around this.

There is this guide HERE (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72691&perpage=20&pagenumber=19). Scroll down to Lab-one's post.

I don't know if that's the guide your looking for. There are several others in that really big thread that the link takes you to. I'll find some others if that is not what you want.

Stiff

jdobbs
23rd March 2004, 11:38
Here's the attachment for v0.22 (see earlier post for info)

ATTACHMENT DELETED AFTER 675 DOWNLOADS

A new version v0.23 is here (http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=463399)

petesafool
23rd March 2004, 12:44
@Derrow/NobbyNobbs

Agggh - my nickname strikes again. Thanks for correcting me.

My apologies to Derrow for just assuming that IFOedit and Ifoupdate were written by the same person.

Sorry.

jdobbs
23rd March 2004, 14:19
Originally posted by KungFuCow
JDobbs, any bug fixes in this release that may cure the FFWD and RWD problems? There are a couple of things changed that could have an affect on this. Also, on the DVDs that had problems were you using CCE, QuEnc, or ReJig. I think I have a problem with my demuxing routine that feeds ReJig.

lab-one
23rd March 2004, 14:26
@jdobbs

my 2 cents...

I had issues with FF/RW on 2 first tries, Veronica Guerin and Cold Creek Manor (both NTSC), using v.16 and v.18. My third attempt was with Pirates of the Caribbean and v.21. The latter of the 3 came out fine but i noticed blockiness and freezing at chapter breaks. FF/RW works fine but produced blocking when moving through chapter breaks. I think v.21 possibly cleaned up a lot of the issues with FF/RW.

Using:
DVD-RB v.21
CCE-SP 5.50
EclCCE
One click mode

RobertR
23rd March 2004, 15:11
Hi, I think what RobertR was asking is an option to add/remove a subtitle in a language that was not on the DVD. (I wish I knew how to do that :o)
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. Sorry if it wasn't clear. Anyway i just assumed that at current state of developement it's not an option (most probably it's not that trivial).

@onesoul:
if you are not afraid of Big3 than it's kinda trivial. I have something like rough draft of "guide" on it.. I'll try to post it on thursday night.

robw
23rd March 2004, 15:16
Thanks for the batch capability. That will really be handy when leaving the computer to run tests. Any chance you could add a shutdown function so the computer turns off at the end of the batch job?

Thanks again

KungFuCow
23rd March 2004, 16:35
There are a couple of things changed that could have an affect on this. Also, on the DVDs that had problems were you using CCE, QuEnc, or ReJig. I think I have a problem with my demuxing routine that feeds ReJig.

CCE Basic

Skinleech
23rd March 2004, 18:19
I've only used this successfully once, with The Hitcher R2, and it worked a treat. What may be nice, though it is a low priority, would be an auto shutdown checkbox ala Gordian Knot. Think it ouwld be nice to save uneccesary on time for the pc once it's finished the DVDRB process.

robw
23rd March 2004, 21:32
Here is a great solution to shutting down Windows after DVD-RB finishes.

Alberto Perez has developed a freeware program called AMP WinOFF. The current version is 4.10
http://www.ampsoft.net

This program can be easily configured to monitor CPU usage and when it falls below a user input level for a setable time period, it will shut down Windows XP and power. You can also configure the program to take a snapshop of your desktop (bmp or jpg image) which I direct to my desktop.

Once you have DVD-RB running, just turn on WinOFF and it will monitor CPU usage. When it becomes idle whether because of an error or because DVD-RB has finished, it will turn off your machine. The next time you turn your computer on, check the desktop snapshot to see what the status of DVD-RB was just prior to shutdown.

There is also a batch mode so this program could be placed into a batch file that first runs WinOFF and then calls DVD-RB ... very cool.

robw
23rd March 2004, 21:35
blank

Skinleech
23rd March 2004, 21:37
Originally posted by Skinleech
I've only used this successfully once, with The Hitcher R2, and it worked a treat. What may be nice, though it is a low priority, would be an auto shutdown checkbox ala Gordian Knot. Think it ouwld be nice to save uneccesary on time for the pc once it's finished the DVDRB process.

Thanks mate, handy to know. I'd still prefer an option on the software however.

cptshamrock
23rd March 2004, 23:13
is there a way that a defined target size could be added so that it comes closer to reaching the full size of a dvd. Because since it's using cce for the best quality already why not have it take up as much sapce as possible to get even more quality. but still a great program and the effort is much appreciated.

robw
23rd March 2004, 23:21
is there a way that a defined target size could be added so that it comes closer to reaching the full size of a dvd

Well, how close are you coming? mine are around 4300 MB which is very nice (~96% full).

jdobbs
23rd March 2004, 23:25
Originally posted by cptshamrock
is there a way that a defined target size could be added so that it comes closer to reaching the full size of a dvd. Because since it's using cce for the best quality already why not have it take up as much sapce as possible to get even more quality. but still a great program and the effort is much appreciated. Right now I am using a value of 2,236,400 sectors as the goal for encoding to give myself a little wiggle room. I could make it variable and will on a version soon.

NOTE: There are 2,297,888 sectors available. So the current number gives you 97.3% and leaves about 126MB of play. Maybe I'll just bump the default up a little.

robw
23rd March 2004, 23:48
why not bump it up to 2,248,024 sectors which will put it exactly at 97.83% and make it consistent with your tag line? ;) ;) ;)

jdobbs
24th March 2004, 00:55
Originally posted by robw
why not bump it up to 2,248,024 sectors which will put it exactly at 97.83% and make it consistent with your tag line? ;) ;) ;) You made that up on the fly, didn't you?

DMagic1
24th March 2004, 07:23
With any app that is made for DVDs. The first priority should aways be to make the app work with all DVDs first. Then extra options should be added later.

I know a lot of ppl want to be able to control bitrate in extras. It would seem more important to get the app to work with DVDs with multiangles first. Even it you add the bitrate control for extras, you will still not be able to use the great app on all dvds.

KungFuCow
24th March 2004, 09:09
With any app that is made for DVDs. The first priority should aways be to make the app work with all DVDs first. Then extra options should be added later.

I know a lot of ppl want to be able to control bitrate in extras. It would seem more important to get the app to work with DVDs with multiangles first. Even it you add the bitrate control for extras, you will still not be able to use the great app on all dvds.

Agreed

tf
24th March 2004, 09:34
jdobbs:

Once again, thanks for a wonderful program, and thank you for all the time an effort you put into it. I have an idea for a suggestion, I don't know if it's been made before, but I don't think so.

I would the program to report how much time it spend on a job. I don't need an "Elapsed time" and "Remain time" counter, just that it output the time spent on a process in the output window.

It's certainly nothing special and as such I could live happily without it, but should you find the time (no pun intended!) to do it, it'd sure be nice.

-tf

Raymongo
24th March 2004, 13:14
Originally posted by tf
jdobbs:

Once again, thanks for a wonderful program, and thank you for all the time an effort you put into it. I have an idea for a suggestion, I don't know if it's been made before, but I don't think so.

I would the program to report how much time it spend on a job. I don't need an "Elapsed time" and "Remain time" counter, just that it output the time spent on a process in the output window.

It's certainly nothing special and as such I could live happily without it, but should you find the time (no pun intended!) to do it, it'd sure be nice.

-tf

I agree on that.

jdobbs
24th March 2004, 14:50
Originally posted by tf
jdobbs:

-tf With the amount of time some encodes take with CCE, I'm almost afraid to show a "Remaining time" figure. :) But, that's the price you pay for quality. I am quite amazed at how fast ReJig works, though. I'm getting full DVD ReJig backups in about 30 minutes (minus reading/burn time).

Trahald
24th March 2004, 16:06
I am quite amazed at how fast ReJig works, though. I'm getting full DVD ReJig backups in about 30 minutes (minus reading/burn time).

yeah, requantizing doesnt carry nearly the overhead of encoding. would be sweet if encoding were that fast ;)

great work on the app so far, btw

bigskank
24th March 2004, 16:19
Any chance of adding menu re-encoding capabilities to this at some point?

Haohmaru
24th March 2004, 17:17
I would like to backup Alien Quadrology but it has seamless branching and vob-id's over 70.
Is there a chance that Rebuilder (in such an early status) can succesfully handle it ?

Haohmaru
24th March 2004, 19:19
hmmm...i made a try but it seems that rebuilder has problems with AQ.
Bitrates calculated by DIF4U (demuxed by Vob-id,nothing unchecked) was about 4300 and Rebuilder's calculations only 3200 . I think this is beacouse the disc contains both original and dircut editon of the movie.

DMagic1
24th March 2004, 19:23
Yes that exactly it. RB was stating with both versions included.

jdobbs
25th March 2004, 01:20
Originally posted by Haohmaru
I would like to backup Alien Quadrology but it has seamless branching and vob-id's over 70.
Is there a chance that Rebuilder (in such an early status) can succesfully handle it ? I've purposely put off seamless branching until I have the bugs out on the basic engine.

lighty
25th March 2004, 01:46
@jdobbs

I know it seems insignificant with all the bugs that you have to fix... but could you please add "Make New Folder" button in Browse working path. Most often I have to make directory as I go along and I kind of use to have that option in almost every program.

But hey, it's not a priority so when you have time... ;)

jdobbs
25th March 2004, 03:57
Attached is tonight's update to DVD-RB (v0.24) the changes are listed below:

- Corrected a major problem that caused pixelation when switching between chapters and when FF/REW went over chapter boundaries.

- Corrected a sizing inconsistency that was always present but was revealed in by the implementation of VTS processing size limits (in v0.22).

- User restrictions (in the VOB files) are now set to 0x00000000 (no prohibited operations). Please note that U-OPs are not being modified in the IFO files.

- Fixed two variable initialization errors that were the root of several small NAVPACK video reference errors (associated with NAVPACK headers). These could only be seen when performing more than one Rebuild in a session.

- Added ability to adjust target DVD size. I've purposely not made this easily available so I don't get complaints of 4 hour recodes that don't fit. To use, just add TargetSectors=nnnn under the [Options] section of the REBUILDER.INI file. As a reference the default for DVD-RB is 2236400 and the maximum for a DVD-5 is 2297888. But remember there always should be a little room left for margin of error.

ATTACHMENT REMOVED AFTER 2115 Downloads

Follow the link in hte first message of this thread to get the latest version

KungFuCow
25th March 2004, 04:04
And off to test I go...

Thanks JDobbs

Paced
25th March 2004, 04:18
Nice work as always jdobbs, thanks again.

RB
25th March 2004, 10:47
@jdobbs:

Next up on the agenda is:
1. Allocating bitrates proportionally to each cell based upon the original bit distribution
This will be a great improvement. However, I still think that encoding as many adjacent cells as possible in one big piece is the optimum solution, of course forcing I-Frames at cell boundaries (would require CCE-SP). Is this something you could consider for a future version? There are some movies with really a lot of cells, for instance Finding Nemo has 129 cells for the main movie, almost all shorter than 1 minute. Somehow I suspect that even with the proportional bitrate reduction this will cause "jumping quality".

- User restrictions (in the VOB files) are now set to 0x00000000 (no prohibited operations). Please note that U-OPs are not being modified in the IFO files.
I would suggest to better leave the VOB PUOs alone. For instance, there are some movies with angles that can't be switched during playback which is a good thing because there are just credits in different languages or something like that. Now when you remove the VOB PUOs, most standalone players will pop up an annoying Camera symbol although you still can't switch angles because there's still the angle change PUO in the IFO. This is not desirable in most cases. I would suggest you add a setting that allows the user to remove specific PUOs, removing the selected PUOs from both VOB and IFO, so it's the user's choice whether or not to mess with the PUOs.

Off topic, but I think you don't have time to visit other threads right now :) : will there be any updates to IFOUpdate in the near future? If you recall, there are some open issues like offsets and ending sectors not properly updated, causing burning problems and IFOEdit to fail. Just recently I had the case where IFOUpdate had to inflate the original IFO to transfer all the tables. Then there were problems with the VTS_C_ADT table (IFOEdit: number of VOBs=0, end byte of VTS_C_ADT table=0) and Nero reallocation failed with a "general I/O error".

@all:
I have uploaded a new EclCCE v1.8 (http://home.t-online.de/home/340044300675/eclcce.zip). Should make life easier for DVD-RB users :)
25/03/2004 v1.8

- Added: ability to run CCE minimized. CCE will be automatically
minimized to tray if EclCCE.exe is run minimized and the –ecl
and/or –batch/-encode switches are used. Requires CCE-SP 2.66.01.07
or higher.

- Fixed: Video/Audio/VAF file extension specified in ECL was reset to
CCE default file extension when loading ECL.

- Fixed: create_new_vaf ECL option was reversed. Now create_new_vaf=1
really sets "Create new file" and create_new_vaf=0 sets "Use
existing file".

- Fixed: under certain circumstances, the ECL file was saved as the
last video file dropped into CCE, overwriting the video file.

- Fixed: Cancel button in Encode Progress Dialog was sometimes still
accessible although it was set to be hidden.

- Enhancement: shutdown timeout extended to 30 seconds. Also the CCE
window is now brought to the foreground when the shutdown sequence
is initiated.

robot1
25th March 2004, 10:54
Originally posted by RB
@jdobbs:
Off topic, but I think you don't have time to visit other threads right now :) : will there be any updates to IFOUpdate in the near future? If you recall, there are some open issues like offsets and ending sectors not properly updated, causing burning problems and IFOEdit to fail. Just recently I had the case where IFOUpdate had to inflate the original IFO to transfer all the tables. Then there were problems with the VTS_C_ADT table (IFOEdit: number of VOBs=0, end byte of VTS_C_ADT table=0) and Nero reallocation failed with a "general I/O error".

I hope you don't forget your older child :)

@RB
thanks for your great apps.

Lazza
25th March 2004, 23:02
@ jdobbs

Just simply want to say thanks to you for such a fantastic little app you have created here. Can't wait to see how it develops furthur along the line as it's so good now.

Great stuff and keep up the good work! :thanks:

djan
25th March 2004, 23:16
Next up on the agenda is:
1. Allocating bitrates proportionally to each cell based upon the original bit distribution Hi, it's what I'm waiting for too. I think it would be a great update.

insane822
26th March 2004, 02:35
Just wanted to say this is a great little application.
Thanks for all of the hard work you've put into it.

Just one little question, after the output was finished it has about 400MB free space, is it expected to have that much free space left?
Just thought maybe it would be possible to give the main movie a tad higher bitrate. Thanks again.

jdobbs
26th March 2004, 02:50
Originally posted by insane822
Just wanted to say this is a great little application.
Thanks for all of the hard work you've put into it.

Just one little question, after the output was finished it has about 400MB free space, is it expected to have that much free space left?
Just thought maybe it would be possible to give the main movie a tad higher bitrate. Thanks again. I've managed to screw up my algorithm. It will fill the disc when completed.

rayvt
26th March 2004, 04:39
Two more suggestions/comments:

1) Ability to specify to run the programs, including the encoder rejib/cce/quenc, at lower priority? I found some code today that'll do it, looks pretty easy to do.

2) Encode chunks that are larger than a cell at a time. The encoder should do a better job at allocating bits if it has a larger set to work on.

Great program, BTW!

jdobbs
26th March 2004, 15:35
Originally posted by rayvt

1) Ability to specify to run the programs, including the encoder rejib/cce/quenc, at lower priority? I found some code today that'll do it, looks pretty easy to do.

2) Encode chunks that are larger than a cell at a time. The encoder should do a better job at allocating bits if it has a larger set to work on.

Great program, BTW! Understand. Right now I'm concentrating on getting rid of nagging errors.

StifflerStealth
26th March 2004, 18:45
FYI, DVD-RB has a current score of 9.5 at dvdrhelp.com (Click here (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tools.php?tool=565#comments)). More ppl need to vote and comment.:D Maybe we can make that score higher.

Stiff

wmansir
26th March 2004, 22:01

Great program, BTW!

1.) EclCCE already has this ability with CCE. (as a temporary workaround)

2.) If/When Jdobbs implements bitrate scaling according to the original cell's bitrate, that won't be much of an issue.

Mr Magic
27th March 2004, 11:38

[/B]

Would it be possible to do a whole chapter at a time instead of a cell?

Someone else wrote about Finding Nemo having 129 cells and he was worried that quality would get 'jumpy' if you used different bit rates for different cells. Maybe distributing bit rates over chapters would solve this?

jdobbs
27th March 2004, 13:00
Originally posted by Mr Magic
Would it be possible to do a whole chapter at a time instead of a cell?

Someone else wrote about Finding Nemo having 129 cells and he was worried that quality would get 'jumpy' if you used different bit rates for different cells. Maybe distributing bit rates over chapters would solve this? It really wouldn't matter if the distribution is made based upon the original stream. I think it is safe to make the assumption that the studio that created the DVD performed VBR on the stream and the appropriate number of bits were applied to each section to keep a constant quality level. If I just use that bitrate as a guide for DVD-RB's bit allocation -- there really is no need to analyze across cells. It was already done in the original authoring. Essentially the original complilation acts as a "first pass."

One of my goals with this product is to make it high-quality and affordable. The best high-quality affordable encoder (in my opinion) is CCE Basic. Since CCE Basic doesn't have the ability to flag individual frames as I-Frames (like the SP version) -- you have to start each cell individually to make sure it starts with an I frame.

It gets even more complicated when you start working with interleaved sources...

jdobbs
27th March 2004, 19:28
All,

Attached is v0.25 -- I didn't get everything in that I wanted, but I figured I'd post this version as it has been a couple days since I've posted. The changes are outlined below:

- Fixed the output sizing problem that was introduced in v0.22 -- DVD-RB should now fully size CCE output to take advantage of an entire DVD-R(W) disc.

- Added code to SETUP dialog that enables you to add the path to the MPEG2DEC.DLL file. I started to see errors related to load failures over-and-over -- if you set this and check the corresponding flag, the LoadPlugin() command is added as the first line to every .AVS file.

- Set a new default .VOB filesize (to match some other applications)

- Added code that disables entering either of the second two processes (ENCODE or REBUILD) unless the previous necessary processes (PREPARE or ENCODE) have been completed. I found that some folks were trying to skip steps and as a result were getting strange errors.

I'm still working on the pixelation/chapter stuttering that some are experiencing -- hard to do for me cause I'm having problems reproducing it. I'm still working and will post again soon...

Here's the link. (http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=465543)

robot1
27th March 2004, 23:21
Now testing with rejig... Really nice speed: the encoding seems disk limited. Somebody already asked for two working paths, for systems with 2 (or more) HardDisks.
Could you launch rejig minimized?
Thanks.

flaystus
28th March 2004, 01:54
Well I need to finish reading through this thread, about half done right now I think. But how about from scratch (aka freshly setup machine with no other programs installed) setup instructions. My one attempt using the info from a few days ofter it came out causes it to just do nothing when I hit encode.

djan
28th March 2004, 06:07
Originally posted by wmansir

2.) If/When Jdobbs implements bitrate scaling according to the original cell's bitrate, that won't be much of an issue. Can each cell have a different bitrate ? I didn't know. I thought it was the same bitrate for the entire movie.

djan
28th March 2004, 06:10
Originally posted by StifflerStealth
FYI, DVD-RB has a current score of 9.5 at dvdrhelp.com (Click here (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/tools.php?tool=565#comments)). More ppl need to vote and comment.:D Maybe we can make that score higher.

Stiff Need to be registered. :angry:

jdobbs
28th March 2004, 10:55
Originally posted by djan
Can each cell have a different bitrate ? I didn't know. I thought it was the same bitrate for the entire movie. Yes each cell can be encoded at a different average bitrate.

jdobbs
28th March 2004, 12:36
INSTALLATION AND USAGE INSTRUCTIONS

Ok. I've added the text below to the Readme.txt file that is included with every copy of DVD-RB. Some of it is unneeded for we who are regular DOOM9ers but -- the text is there anyway. I'm hoping that this information will alleviate some of the configuration related problems that some are experiencing with DVD-RB:

INSTALLATION:

Note: Where and how you load software is, of course, your business. I've found, however, that creating a directory under "C:\Program Files" called "DVD-RIP" is a good way to organize my ripping related software. Just specify that directory as the installation path for software mentioned below.

1. Download and install AVISYNTH. It is available at www.doom9.org -- at that site click on "Download" on the left navigation bar. AVISYNTH is available under "Support Utils" -- at the time of this writing the most current version was v2.54 which has been tested and is completely compatible with DVD-RB.

2. From the same link, download and install DVD Decrypter. Follow the instructions. At the time of this writing the current version was 3.2.1.0 -- and it has been tested and works great with DVD-RB.

3. Next, you must have a copy of MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL installed on your computer. At the Doom9 site, download DVD2AVI dg. It (at this writing) is contained in a ZIP file DECODEFIX100.ZIP. Open that zip and within you will find a file called MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL. Copy that file into a directory called "PlugIns" under the AVISYNTH directory (created in step 1). Putting it there could save you lots of possible headaches later!

4. There -- that's all the support software needed -- but you need one more thing. You have to have (your choice) an encoder. My top recommendation is Cinemacraft Encoder Basic for the best quality output imaginable. This software is available at a cost of $59 from:

http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/ccebasic.html

But -- that isn't the only choice! To keep the cost at zero, DVD-RB supports two additional software packages. Both were developed by Nic, based upon publicly available sources. They are ReJig and QuEnc. As they are under development you will find them at the two links listed below, but expect them to show under the DOOM9 download page reasonably soon.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72827
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66777

5. Last, but not least, install DVD-RB. All you need to do is create a directory somewhere (as I mentioned earlier, possibly in C:\Program Files\DVD-RIP) and copy Rebuilder.exe into that folder. You may also want to create a shortcut on your desktop.

USAGE:

Before starting: Click on "Options" on the menu bar and then "Setup." Make sure you find the path of the software you will be using. You can also set the default for audio streams you like to keep/delete in you processing. You may also want to take the opportunity to go through the available menus and familiarize yourself with the program.

Enought small talk, here's how it works:

1. First, use DVD-Decrypter to rip the entire DVD, not just the movie to your hard drive. Use file mode and take note of the output directory. You will need it for DVD-RB.

2. After you've ripped the DVD run DVD-RB. Use the browse button to point the "Source Path" to the directory you've just ripped into.

3. Select a working directory. It can be anywhere -- but make sure there is plenty of room for processing. The working directory will need as much as twice the space of the Ripped DVD (depending upon the mode -- discussed later). The working directory will be overwritten when processing occurs, so be careful.

------------------ METHOD ONE ---------------

4. If you are using ReJig, QuEnc or CCE Version 2.66 or above, you can select "One Click" under the "Options Menu" -- by doing so all actions will occur automatically with the push of one "Transcode" button. If you are using CCE 2.50 or a Trial Version you may want to consider using ECLCCE available at:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46664

In order to work in "One Click" mode with CCE, DVD-RB requires a version of CCE that supports command line options. ECLCCE includes a capability to add command line options to Trial and older (v2.50) versions.

5. As actions are performed you will see status updates in the DVD-RB Status box. Please note that CCE can take some time to encode -- so you may want to come back later. I like to let movies run overnight. Timing depends upon a lot of parameters including processor speed and number of passes.

6. When completed -- simply use any burning package (such as B's Recorder Gold, RecordNow Max, or Nero) -- there is usually a package provided with your DVD Burner. You must write two directories (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS), that will exist in the "Working Path" you specified in step 3.

------------------ METHOD TWO ---------------

For those who like to keep control, you can use the "Three Click" method that is the default. It let's you hold the keys to all actvities.

4. Press the "Prepare" button (about 4-5 minutes). Heres what happens:

-- All the VTSs in the source directory are scanned and .D2V files are created -- all automatically
-- AVS files are also created automatically all in \D2VAVS under the "Working Path"
-- All .AVS files represent the VTSs divided into "segments" -- each segment typically represents an individual cell (VOBID/CELLID). It can also represent portions of a cell (e.g. in interleaving)
-- All parameters are optimally calculated (including bitrate) and are stored in an .ECL (CCE Project File)

5. When preparation is complete you can either open the ECL file with CCE and modify as you see fit, or press the "Encode" button. Remember, though, that command-line options must be supported for this to work. I've tested the program extensively with Cinema Craft Encoder Basic. This can take anywhere from two-four hours depending upon your processor, hard drive, and the size of the DVD.

6. After encoding is completed, you get to see where DVD-RB's real magic comes in. Push the "Rebuild" button and the video you've just created is merged and multiplexed with the original audio and subtitle streams. A new VIDEO_TS directory is created in the "Working Path".

7. Burn that baby.

Oldeman
28th March 2004, 20:36
When using the one button method....
Can you either have a config option to automatically clear the outyput directory without prompting? OR
ask when the button is pressed, don't wait until rebuild phase to prompt for clearing output directory..

This kind of spoils the one touch concept when you have to respond after ab hour or so....

Great program by the way. Can't wait for next version...

djan
28th March 2004, 20:56
Go to Mode and check "Suppress Warning Prompts" option.

jdobbs
28th March 2004, 21:57
NEW VERSION LOADED

All,

Attached is the latest update to DVD Rebuilder (v0.26) -- this one has some important fixes and enhancements included... so bug reports on any earlier versions will go unheeded. A summary of changes is provided below:

- Corrected an error that was causing skipping and pixelation at chapter points when fast-forwarding and rewinding through chapters. This fix may also correct other problems that may not have been as apparent related to chapter points and navigation. Much thanks to the beta testers for pointing me in the right direction on this one.

- The bitrate calculating algorithm can now examine the original allocation by Cell and assign bitrates to each cell consistent with that of the original DVD. This essentially uses the original DVD as a "first pass" and gives more bandwidth to cells that need it. This could (theoretically) result in better quality. This "dynamic" bitrate allocation can be enabled by selecting "Dynamically Assign Cell Bitrates" from the "Modes" menu.

- Added a flag accessible through SETUP that lets you force encoders to be run in a minimized, no-focus state. This may-or-may-not work (depending upon versions) when using eclCCE as an interface with CCE.

- Fixed an issue in which a NAVPACK reference frame could be off by one when the next PICTURE_START_CODE begins on a sector boundary. Not sure what impact it might have, but I noted it when investigating the pixelation/jumping problem that some have said they experience.

- Fixed an overflow problem that is the source of at least some of runtime error '9's that have been received during the REBUILD phase of DVD-RB. Not the only one, though.

- Made a few other minor bug fixes and changes for efficiency.

THE ATTACHMENT HAS BEEN DELETED
A newer version (v0.27) is now available here. (http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=466693)

GooglyBear
29th March 2004, 00:40
is it a no-no to use DVDShrink first before using DVDRB?
I got a brand new dvd I'm going to back-up and I'm wondering what's best.. I usually run it through dvdshrink and remove unwanted audio streams and reduce unwanted/extras..

will that cause problems to dvd-rb or just run the entire dvd through dvdrb since it's using CCE anyhows and the quality will be better regardless if I run it through Shrink first?

:sly:

jdobbs
29th March 2004, 00:45
Originally posted by GooglyBear
is it a no-no to use DVDShrink first before using DVDRB?
I got a brand new dvd I'm going to back-up and I'm wondering what's best.. I usually run it through dvdshrink and remove unwanted audio streams and reduce unwanted/extras..

will that cause problems to dvd-rb or just run the entire dvd through dvdrb since it's using CCE anyhows and the quality will be better regardless if I run it through Shrink first?

:sly: My recommendation is not to run "pre-passes" with another product before running DVD-RB. Too many unknowns left behind by the first program through... But there is only one way to find out.

robw
29th March 2004, 00:46
No it should not cause any problems; however, keep in mind, DVD-RB is a beta product. If you run into any problems and want to let the author JDOBBS know, you need to be running DVD-RB with a minimum amount of preprocessing. Also, DVD-RB will let you remove unwanted audio tracks directly within the program.

robw
29th March 2004, 00:47
sorry! I agree with JDobbs and don't want to confuse. I was typing at the same time!

jdobbs
29th March 2004, 02:45
Has anyone tried the new "Dynamically Assign Cell Bitrates" feature yet? I was wondering if there were any DVD that showed a measurable range. In the tests I did there were usually only a few hundred kilobits difference between cells.

StifflerStealth
29th March 2004, 03:09
Has anyone tried the new "Dynamically Assign Cell Bitrates" feature yet? I was wondering if there were any DVD that showed a measurable range. In the tests I did there were usually only a few hundred kilobits difference between cells.

I tried it out. I haven't clicked the encode button yet, though. There is a reange of numbers. I went through a film one time and noted the difference in bitrates. This did a pretty good job at allocating different averages to cells.

edit: whant me to post the averages?

Stiff

djan
29th March 2004, 03:22
Has anyone tried the new "Dynamically Assign Cell Bitrates" feature yet? I was wondering if there were any DVD that showed a measurable range. In the tests I did there were usually only a few hundred kilobits difference between cells. Hi Jdobbs, again great program, it rulez. Here are my average bitrate values :

vbr_brate_avg
--------------

It seems to work pretty well. Don't you think ?

Edit : Typo correction.

jdobbs
29th March 2004, 03:25
Yeah. I think it was a good idea after all. I will probably eventually make it the only method for allocating. I just wanted to compare the two first.

nwg
29th March 2004, 05:56
I just done the first LOTR film with "Dynamically Assign Cell Bitrates" and Quenc. The total file size was 4.13GB.

I forgot how long it was so it took a while. Is it worth doing it again but with CCE or will the file sizes be the same? or just do a different shorter film.

I chose it as I wanted a DVD with just menus and film (no photo gallery).

gvittoz
29th March 2004, 10:55
Yes Great
I tried with RejiG no problems
But when I want to try with QuEnc 0,45
I've got the problem
"AVS File is not outputing
(Use ConvertToYV12()at end of script)"

It's probably my fault but I don't understand
Thanks for all your work but please Help me

emistral
29th March 2004, 11:33
@jdobbs:
Great job
I am just starting to use DVD rebuilder and I followed the instructions in the readme file
I used to backup my dvds with reauthorist, CCE, doitfast4u, etc...
So I removed all of them plus avisynth, etc..
Then i reinstalled what was suggested:
avisynth 2.5.4
dvd decryptor latest version
dv2avi dg version

I am using CCE 2.5 so I also installed EclCCE 1.8

I setup DVD RB as described and then loaded my DVD (after using DVD decryptor).
I am starting with Whale Rider, PAL version
I am in Australia so everything is PAL
I decided to use method 2
I press Prepare. DVD RB processed the VTSses, build the AVS files and ECL files.
I did not checked the content of the ECL files neither the AVS ones.
Anyway when I pressed the Encode button, I had a serie of number - sort of an error code - in the processing gauge.
I can't remember the number
Encoding should last hours but mine lasted 1s.
Obviously it did not do a thing
I tried to press rebuild but I had a warning/error "nothing to do"

Then I tried the one click method
Same problem
The onl difference is that I did not see the error code but I had the "nothing to do" warning

I am suspecting my CCE version because according to ECL manual, I should have an ECL option menu in CCE and I don't have this one

Any idea ?
thanks

onesoul
29th March 2004, 11:39
@emistral

Did you run once the eclcce alone to point cce executable?

nwg
29th March 2004, 14:36
I just thought of a simple suggestion.

Would it be possible to have a pause/resume button next to the abort button or make it pause after the current segment encoding is finished.

Thanks.

jdobbs
29th March 2004, 15:08
Originally posted by nwg
I just thought of a simple suggestion.

Would it be possible to have a pause/resume button next to the abort button or make it pause after the current segment encoding is finished.

Thanks. That's easily doable.

nwg
29th March 2004, 15:15
That's easily doable.

That would be great. :)

robw
29th March 2004, 15:30
I am using CCE 2.5 so I also installed EclCCE 1.8

EclCCE 1.8 has a problem, go back to 1.7b

gvittoz
29th March 2004, 16:05
Originally posted by gvittoz
Yes Great
I tried with RejiG no problems
But when I want to try with QuEnc 0,45
I've got the problem

It's probably my fault but I don't understand
Thanks for all your work but please Help me

Noone see something for my problem ???

Master Jdobbs please ...
I would like explain in french fotr other people and it's just
what is wrong

GooglyBear
29th March 2004, 16:10

I have.. I backed up "Glengary Glenross" and it came out beautifully!
Also, Backup speed seems faster..

it takes 24 hours (yes, i said 24) on my Duron 800 128MB pc..

it took less than 12 on my Athlon 1Ghz 512MB one :p I kicked it off at 9PM and when I woke up it was done! Quality-wise.. I ran it using 4 passes (which means 3) and I'll test the actual PQ on my LCD RPTV HDTV tonight when I get home.. this set simply reveals any flaws on dvd backups.. :sly:

ps: I have been running my dvd's through shrink first with the "logical remapping of enabled streams" option and it's been working marvelously.. I think people encounter bugs with the shrink-option first because they simply omit streams and whatnot without remapping it..

keep up the great work jdobbs! Once you throw in that ROBA integration I'd definitely help support the cause :)

edit: btw i obviously know that the stronger machine will do a faster backup, what i left out was that from the same machine it seemed to do a faster backup :p

jdobbs
29th March 2004, 16:11
Noone see something for my problem ???

Master Jdobbs please ...
I would like explain in french fotr other people and it's just
what is wrong When you do this, are you starting over again? My guess is not. If you change the Encoder type (like from ReJig to QuEnc) you have to do the "Prepare" function again (that is when the ConvertToYV12() is added). In the next version I will do a sanity check when you start to make sure these issues are avoided.

Abnormal1
29th March 2004, 17:09
Hi,
I finally had a chance to try ReBuilder properly and all I can say is Wow! Excellent program.

Anyway to My question.

How do you calculate the bitrate. Do you use the percentage value that ReBuilder Displays in the status panel and apply that compression percentage to each Cell.
If you do then would it be possible to have the option to increase the compression percentage for extras and reduce the percentage to the Movie buy a centain amount.

e.g Reduction Level for DVD-5: 50.6% could become 60.6% on extras and 40.6% on movie.

I dont think the difference in percentage between the Extras and Movie would not need to be much and the final size should be the same.

Thanks
Abnormal

jdobbs
29th March 2004, 17:30
I calculate by using the number of frames and frame-rate to determine the length-of-time of the cell. I then calculate how much space it needs to take (using the reduction percentage), and between the two can get a resulting bitrate.

You can't just split the percentage value and reduce based on the result... as extras usually take a lot less space than the movie. So if you have 75% of the DVD real estate dedicated to the movie and only 25% in extras -- every 1% reduction in bitrate of an extra only gives a .33% increase to the DVD (I hate doing math in public)...

rayvt
29th March 2004, 17:30
Hmmm, you said both:
"...It really wouldn't matter if the distribution is made based upon the original stream. I think it is safe to make the assumption that the studio that created the DVD performed VBR on the stream and the appropriate number of bits were applied to each section to keep a constant quality level. "
and
"... but when the going gets tough and bits are at a premium (which is often the case with full-DVD recompression) you really need to spread the available bits across a large VBR consideration area."

I think the latter is more likely to be correct than the former. Also, as far as the bit-distribution decisions made by the original studio, these decisions were made in the context of <b>that</b> overall (higher) bitrate. The distributions may well not be optimal for a lower overall bitrate. Consider, for example, a non-varying cell next to a high-movement cell. If you cut the overall bitrate in half, you would probably prefer to cut the non-varying cell a lot so that you can give a higher bitrate to the high demand cell. You can only do this if the encoder is doing both cells in the same job.

That said, as long as the size reduction isn't very large, there is probably little visible difference between the two alternative methods. And we don't want to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A good, free, fast tool is better than a perfect tool that nobody will make because it's too much work.

Oh, duh! Just read about the new "dynamic allocate" feature. You could probably do a passable job at intra-cell bit re-allocation by making the new bitrates a non-linear function of the original bitrates--reduce the high bitrate cells less than the low bitrate ones. Again, though, this is based on the presumption that the original source distributed the bitrates optimally. And I would guess that this is probably a valid assumption---they probably didn't do it manually but rather used a very high quality (= very expensive) encoder with many passes.

jdobbs
29th March 2004, 18:37
@rayvtHmmm, you said both:
"...It really wouldn't matter if the distribution is made based upon the original stream. I think it is safe to make the assumption that the studio that created the DVD performed VBR on the stream and the appropriate number of bits were applied to each section to keep a constant quality level. "
and
"... but when the going gets tough and bits are at a premium (which is often the case with full-DVD recompression) you really need to spread the available bits across a large VBR consideration area."Yes, but they were on two different subjects... there is a point at which the pay-off you get for additional frames in the VBR consideration domain starts diminishing. There is a big difference between a domain consisting of a single GOP and the one represented in an entire cell. The GOP or single-pass VBR buffer area would probably fall below the curve, and the typical cell probably falls above the curve...

e1miran
29th March 2004, 23:07
This may be dumb newbie question, but why the command to resample audio in AVS to 44.1k? Isn't 48k the DVD standard? Will resampling cause audio not to play in some standalones?

RobertR
29th March 2004, 23:19
I believe it's a trick to stop CCE from leaking memory on AMD processors. AddAudio snippet does the same but in newer versions of Avisynth.
DVD Rebuilder does not reencode any audio stream.

emistral
30th March 2004, 00:18
@Onesoul:
Yes I ran EclCCE once to point the CCE executable.
So EclCCE is pointing to the right executable.

But I still have this problem
It is not reencoding at all

Anybody out there with a suggestion ?

emistral
30th March 2004, 00:20
Also somebody mentioned EclCCE 1.8 is bugged so I reverse to 1.7b if I can find it

emistral
30th March 2004, 00:23
Sorry, last post.

DVD RBV has been developed for NTSC system I presume. Is there any specific settings so that it can work on PAL system ?
I know that with the big 3 I used to use, I had to check the type of movie (progressive, etc...) and adjust some parameters in the AVS files.
@jdobbs: if I follow the same method I used to use in big 3 (modifying AVS files) will it have any impact on DVD RBV and make it behave stranglely in the rebuild process ?
I am guessing not since the AVS scripts are used by CCE but better to ask the expert

Thanks

nwg
30th March 2004, 00:30
DVD RBV has been developed for NTSC system I presume. Is there any specific settings so that it can work on PAL system ?

I have been using it with PAL discs just fine.

jdobbs
30th March 2004, 01:17
Originally posted by e1miran
This may be dumb newbie question, but why the command to resample audio in AVS to 44.1k? Isn't 48k the DVD standard? Will resampling cause audio not to play in some standalones? It isn't actually doing anything. It is a way to get around a known bug that occurs when using CCE 2.50.

jdobbs
30th March 2004, 01:45
NEW VERSION v0.27 ATTACHED

All,

Attached please find a new version (v0.27) of DVD ReBuilder. Sorry for the continual updates -- but I'm trying to stay up with the bug reports in this beta stage. The changes are listed below:

- Fixed an error in which SCRs resetting within a VTS could cause buffer overruns and "Runtime error '9'" errors. This should fix a majority of the overrun problems.

- Code has been added to include audio selections when saving/opening project files.

- Changed the range of values in CCE "Quality_prec" dropdown so it now accepts values of 0-64 (to be compliant with newer versions). When used with version 2.50 the value is multiplied by 1.56 (range 0-100) to get comparable output.

Newer version available -- see the first post in this thread.

nwg
30th March 2004, 01:49
Attached please find a new version (v0.27) of DVD ReBuilder. Sorry for the continual updates -- but I'm trying to stay up with the bug reports in this beta stage. The changes are listed below:

Don't be sorry. You are awesome getting this much work done so quickly.

Take a rest.

onesoul
30th March 2004, 02:59
You can't just split the percentage value and reduce based on the result... as extras usually take a lot less space than the movie. So if you have 75% of the DVD real estate dedicated to the movie and only 25% in extras -- every 1% reduction in bitrate of an extra only gives a .33% increase to the DVD (I hate doing math in public)...

0.33% increase to movie size and 0.25% increase to dvd size but I think it was what you meant. (I just hope I am not making a fool out of myself *sigh*)

rayvt
30th March 2004, 04:38
DDVRebuilder conversion time comparisons.
Italian Job WS 159007 frames, 1:50:24, 6624 seconds
Reduction=81.8
Main movie only, ripped with smartripper, converted to DVD with
IFOEdit.
Rebuilt with DVDRebuilder v0.23 on AMD2400+, 1024MB ram

Times in seconds
CCE2.66.01.07
Prep....157
Encod...6389
Rebld...1218
Total...7764

Rejig 0.5e
Prep....797
Encod...892
Rebld...1191
Total...2880

QuEnc 0.45
Prep....156
Encod...8231
Rebld...905
Total...9292

DVDShrink 3.1.7.6
Total...3420

Comments: After a brief look at the converted movies I didn't see any
noticable difference in the video quality between any of the encoders.

Conclusions:
The rejig alternative looks pretty fast, except for the prep step.
This is longer probably because the prep stage creates both MPV and
AVS files. For the other two, the prep only creates the AVS files.
If rejig could use the AVS instead of needing the MPV, it would be
a lot faster.

StifflerStealth
30th March 2004, 05:08
Reduction=81.8

That is why the transcoders look good. Try the entire disc and not just the main movie to see how the quality compares. I waiting for another transcoder shootout that actually has rejig in it. There are several of those out there. Doom9.org has codec shootouts.

Stiff

CiViC
30th March 2004, 05:26
Originally posted by nwg
Don't be sorry. You are awesome getting this much work done so quickly.

Take a rest.

I concur..spend some time with your wife before she gets pissed and kicks your ass :)

DDogg
30th March 2004, 05:38
Jdobbs - Just an FYI: I had my first successful use of your program using rejig, via an Alcohol mounted ISO, after I enabled RMPS in the Emulation Options menu. Maybe this was just a fluke, but I wanted to at least suggest that other alcohol users with problems try this and report back if it helps them also. (after doing this, I no longer got the subscript 9 thing which started up in .26)

As said, maybe just a fluke on my machine, but it will not hurt for a few to try.

djan
30th March 2004, 06:06
Hi jdobbs,

Is it possible to add MEncoder support ? Thx.

Nedfu
30th March 2004, 07:03
Quality-wise.. I ran it using 4 passes (which means 3)

Does this mean that if I set the CCE option to do "4" passes it really does just 3? Picking 2 would be only 1 pass?

2COOL
30th March 2004, 08:09
@Nedfu

Welcome to the forum!

I just wanted to point out to you about quoting etiquette. When you quote someone, please ensure that the username of the person you are quoting is inserted. The DVD-RB threads can easily build up on alot of threads and others will be confused on who you were quoting for a reply. I actually found who you were quoting on the previous thread. Can you imagine if it was on the first page?

Originally posted by GooglyBear
Quality-wise.. I ran it using 4 passes (which means 3) and I'll test the actual PQ on my LCD RPTV HDTV tonight when I get home.. this set simply reveals any flaws on dvd backups.. :sly:Don't know if your intention was to get a reply from GooglyBear or from others but anyways, I can't confirm your question but just wanted to know who you were quoting. ;)

gvittoz
30th March 2004, 08:59
When you do this, are you starting over again? My guess is not. If you change the Encoder type (like from ReJig to QuEnc) you have to do the "Prepare" function again (that is when the ConvertToYV12() is added). In the next version I will do a sanity check when you start to make sure these issues are avoided.

Thank you for the answer Master Jdobbs
but I try many possibilities
I reinstall all and always the same thing

I don't understand what is wrong

Second thing Is it possible do give you money with other
way that Pay pal ???

wmansir
30th March 2004, 09:41
Originally posted by Nedfu
Does this mean that if I set the CCE option to do "4" passes it really does just 3? Picking 2 would be only 1 pass?

CCE does not count it's initial "1st pass", which is an infomation gathering pass. So if you go into the CCE settings page and tell it to do 3 passes it will actually run 4 passes.

Most people here go with the CCE count, so when they say they ran a 3 pass encode, they are not counting the 1st pass. RB counts that first pass.

gvittoz
30th March 2004, 11:01
I'tried with CCE 2.66 trial version and i take ECLCCE in the directory of CCE
I Give the application path for CCE SP the ECLCCE.exe
and run it in the 2 differents mode (one click or 3 clicks)
Always the same CCE run very fast and after when it rebuild
error n° 0004 buffer under stop

Am I wrong with ECLCCE ???
I'm sorry for my english but I don't understand all

Thank you for your work and for your help

jdobbs
30th March 2004, 11:05
Originally posted by wmansir
CCE does not count it's initial "1st pass", which is an infomation gathering pass. So if you go into the CCE settings page and tell it to do 3 passes it will actually run 4 passes.

Most people here go with the CCE count, so when they say they ran a 3 pass encode, they are not counting the 1st pass. RB counts that first pass. The reason I do this is to make this accurate. For example -- when any other encoder (e.g. QuEnc) says it is doing 2 passes it actually does the first scan followed by one actual encoding pass. I don't know why CCE doesn't count the first pass, it has a lot of strange settings (like the way it does TFF).

nwg
30th March 2004, 11:59
gvittoz wrote,

but I try many possibilities
I reinstall all and always the same thing

I don't understand what is wrong

Try this. I had the same thing.

I selected Rejig or CCE in DVD RB.

I put QuEnc in the same folder as DVD RB then changed the path in the DVD RV setup.

Then Select QuEnc in DVD RB and try again to make a DVD.

I also couldn't get Rejig to work unless it was also in the DVD RB directory.

gvittoz
30th March 2004, 12:59
I try but it don't work
thanks for the answer

wmansir
30th March 2004, 13:21
The reason I do this is to make this accurate. For example -- when any other encoder (e.g. QuEnc) says it is doing 2 passes it actually does the first scan followed by one actual encoding pass. I don't know why CCE doesn't count the first pass, it has a lot of strange settings (like the way it does TFF).

I understand you logic, CCE's counting method is odd. But then again it is the only encoder (that I know of) to do more than 2 passes, so that is probably why it's terminology is common.

And don't get me started on it's TFF implementation. I can't think of a way they could make it more confusing. Renaming it to "line offset" was actually progress because instead of users getting it backwards most of the time, now they just go "WTF is this setting for?" :)

gvittoz
30th March 2004, 13:27
someone could explain us how install ECLCCE and working for CCE 2.5
what I need to do with ECLCCE and rebuild
Excuse me for my many question but I'm lost

nwg
30th March 2004, 14:49
Just extract eclCCE to a directory (it should be a zip). I put it in the CCE 2.50 directory in s sub directory called eclCCE.

Then double click on the eclCCE exe file. It will ask for the CCE exe file. Then it will load CCE as normal.

Then in DVD RB setup point the CCE 2.50 entry to the eclCCE.exe file and not to the CCE exe file.

DDogg
30th March 2004, 16:30
jdobbs - Is there a specific reason that you set alternate scan on(alternate_scan=1) instead of zigzag (alternate_scan=0) on progressive source? If asked before, pardon me, my eyes are giving me trouble ;)

Also, I agree with wmansir that you should consider using the standard CCE naming convention to describe multipass. Most people understand that it means 1 VAF pass and then the user specified X passes. Changing that convention to something that is unique only to DVD-ReBuilder may cause more confusion than it helps.

quantum
30th March 2004, 16:47
@jdobbs:
Is there any chance that in the future this app could support closed captions (CC) ? Some disks don't have subtitles and closed captions are the last resort. TV or HBO episode disks often lack subtitles. Some movies have subtitles only for foreign languages or none at all.

These are not just for the hearing impaired. I have normal hearing but sometimes can't understand the mumblers or the occassional unusual phrase and I like the option to turn these on and find out what was said.

Oh and my vote is keep your number of passes the way you like it. :-)

StifflerStealth
30th March 2004, 17:17
I noticed there are some problems with stills in the bug reports thread, so here's my comment on them.

@jdobbs: Before you create a new item.ecl for the next cell in the list, look at the cell and see if it is less than 1 MB, if so, declare it already enccoded and move on to the next cell. Since these cells are 1 MB or less you do not need to change all the bitrate calculations, because if one were able to recode video that was 1 MB or less, the final video would only be a couple of bytes less, so the total amount gained in compression for all stills would be about a K. Since all the re-encode files is about 10 MBs under the max size (for me) there is no problem. I figured this would be the _easiest_ solution.

@all: untill jdobbs fixes still you can find all the cells that are under 1 MB, but are still in the queue to be encoded, replace them with a video clip 1 MB in size. It will be encoded. Then do a demux in cell id mode of the original sources with DVD Decrypter, Smart Ripper, DoItFast4U v1.4.7, ... You hopefully remember the cells you replaced after that long encode session :) Well, if you do, replace them again with the newly demux cells. You will have your cells back, so click the Rebuild button. You should have no errors.

Stiff

jptheripper
30th March 2004, 18:39
well jdobbs, thank you. Just completed my first successfull rebuild, and its beautiful

time: 14 hours for 5 pass cce on a 8gb movie on my 2.4ghz laptop (read write to same drive).

Is there anyway you could make the "dont encode below" threshold a user setable option?

thanx again

-jp

robw
30th March 2004, 18:43
@all: untill jdobbs fixes still you can find all the cells that are under 1 MB, but are still in the queue to be encoded, replace them with a video clip 1 MB in size. It will be encoded. Then do a demux in cell id mode of the original sources with DVD Decrypter, Smart Ripper, DoItFast4U v1.4.7, ... You hopefully remember the cells you replaced after that long encode session Well, if you do, replace them again with the newly demux cells. You will have your cells back, so click the Rebuild button. You should have no errors.

This is a joke, right? Certainly shows why they created computers. Thanks for the good laugh

acido
30th March 2004, 19:04
@jdobbs

Maybe other asked you already, but i would appreciate if you could include a shutdown option at the end of the process.
Since encodes usually runs overnight it would be nice to have the pc turned-off when done, this will help us save energy ;-)

Another suggestion,
can you please keep track of the work that still need to be done on dvd-rb (bugfixes you are investigating - new features - ongoing work - etc.) in the file Rebuilder.txt so one can be up to date without having to look at the threads going bigger and bigger ;-)

Thanks, ciao.

jdobbs
30th March 2004, 20:14
Originally posted by djan
Hi jdobbs,

Is it possible to add MEncoder support ? Thx. Does it support .AVS files?

jdobbs
30th March 2004, 20:20
Originally posted by DDogg
jdobbs - Is there a specific reason that you set alternate scan on(alternate_scan=1) instead of zigzag (alternate_scan=0) on progressive source? If asked before, pardon me, my eyes are giving me trouble ;)

Also, I agree with wmansir that you should consider using the standard CCE naming convention to describe multipass. Most people understand that it means 1 VAF pass and then the user specified X passes. Changing that convention to something that is unique only to DVD-ReBuilder may cause more confusion than it helps. Hmm.. good point -- zigzag should be an option. As for the pass count... No. If CCE wants to say it wrong, fine. But I'm sticking to my guns and calling a spade a spade. I think that two passes (the .VAF and 1 encode) is all that is necessary 99% of the time, and it is wrong for people to wait several hours not knowing that the encoder is making an additional pass for a 1% improvement. (now that will really get some comments :D )

gvittoz
30th March 2004, 20:24
IT'S OK
Sleepy Hollow backup with CCE 2.5
Thanks alot Master Jdobbs we dreamed about that you make it thanks
I will give you some money for my congratulations

Oldeman
30th March 2004, 20:28
I just finished Runaway Jury with version .27. It had given me a error 9 on .26 before.

Output Size looks good, quality looks great. Also, DVDShrink would load the output without barfing...

Win98SE, 256mb, AMD750, ReJig .5e

Used DvdRemake 1.3 to finish off extras and tidy up menus.

Outstanding.... This DVD-RB just keeps getting better....

:D

Brother Darrell
30th March 2004, 20:55
This may be idiotic, considering all the work you have already put into this program, But here it goes....
I do all my encodes as Svcd(480x480). While this is not DVD compliant, it certainly works on my dvd player. I like the output much better than ½DVD res. Doing the Menu as ½DVD ain't so bad, but I would like any extras and main movie to be 480*480, with the added ability to choose the final output size. I can get 2, sometimes 3 movies on 1 DVD, without any appreciable quality loss. maybe the ability to recalculate using different audio rates?
The ability to be 100% scalable in all aspects would be Awesome, Are these doable things? Are they even WORTH doing?

DDogg
30th March 2004, 21:03
... and it is wrong for people to wait several hours not knowing that the encoder is making an additional pass for a 1% improvement. (now that will really get some comments ) Yeah, I'll just bet you will :-) I kinda think that depends on how much reduction is needed and what the resulting bitrate ends up being. The extra passes really start showing their stuff when the bitrate bucket becomes more sparse. Adding a conditional for this may be something to put in the "think about" stack for later.

In fact the whole CCE method you use will be a good subject to discuss, as well as the zillion other "individual enthusiasm" you have been relentlessly bombarded by, but only down the road after you kill all the critters and personally declare yourself happy with the guts of your process. I know that is your main shining focus right now and too many helpful suggestions are very distracting, so good luck in your hunt!

PS - It is incredible how much progress you have made in such a short time! I sincerely hope you are not permanently wearing your wife's shoe print on your backside :cool:

jdobbs
30th March 2004, 22:33
misquoting Groucho Marx: I'm not sure I'd want to be married to a woman who'd marry someone like me.

StifflerStealth
30th March 2004, 22:57
Originally posted by robw
This is a joke, right? Certainly shows why they created computers. Thanks for the good laugh

I do try to say things in the most absurb or funny ways. :D However, if you get past all the absurbness, it does work. I have stills galore in one movie, but never have problems.

Stiff

nwg
31st March 2004, 00:19
I would like to say that DVD RB makes excellent use of Rejig. I have done Back to the Future (inc stills) with many transcoders, and so far the DVD RB version looks the best.

The DVD is 7.52GB as well.

jdobbs
31st March 2004, 00:20
Originally posted by Brother Darrell
This may be idiotic, considering all the work you have already put into this program, But here it goes....
I do all my encodes as Svcd(480x480). While this is not DVD compliant, it certainly works on my dvd player. I like the output much better than ½DVD res. Doing the Menu as ½DVD ain't so bad, but I would like any extras and main movie to be 480*480, with the added ability to choose the final output size. I can get 2, sometimes 3 movies on 1 DVD, without any appreciable quality loss. maybe the ability to recalculate using different audio rates?
The ability to be 100% scalable in all aspects would be Awesome, Are these doable things? Are they even WORTH doing? Not idiotic, but also not likely. I am one of those firm "do it by the standard" kind of guys. If I broke from the standards you can bet the size of the "Bugs" thread would reach biblical proportions...

DMagic1
31st March 2004, 02:25
I think it would be nice if there was a seperate setting line we could use for Rejig and CCE. I've notice from testing that CCE size always comes in larger than Rejig. So if we could control that seperately it would really help.

Example:

TargetSectors.Rejig=2280000
TargetSectors.CCE=2240000

Something like that.

jdobbs
31st March 2004, 02:33
I think it would be nice if there was a seperate setting line we could use for Rejig and CCE. I've notice from testing that CCE size always comes in larger than Rejig. So if we could control that seperately it would really help.

Example:

Something like that. Ok. I can do that.

quantum
31st March 2004, 03:17
@jdobbs:
Is there any chance that in the future this app could support closed captions (CC) ? Some disks don't have subtitles and closed captions are the last resort. TV or HBO episode disks and some movies have only CC.

Repeating this from previous post in case it was overlooked.

jdobbs
31st March 2004, 03:36
Originally posted by quantum
@jdobbs:
Is there any chance that in the future this app could support closed captions (CC) ? Some disks don't have subtitles and closed captions are the last resort. TV or HBO episode disks and some movies have only CC.

Repeating this from previous post in case it was overlooked. I wrote it down on my (pretty extensive) list of things to look at.

jdobbs
31st March 2004, 03:37

Example:

Something like that. This is done and will be in .28

anomiERIC
31st March 2004, 06:52
I have a simple request. How about an option to disable the screen saver while running?

DMagic1
31st March 2004, 07:42
This is done and will be in .28

Great :D
Thanks for all your hard work.

trx
31st March 2004, 14:45
first of all wanna say thx to jdobbs, and all the testers here,

i dont have plenty of time to do testing but i have learned a lot with this forum and web page :D

only one simply question and pleaze dont criticise me for it, i have tryed till now to get my question solved but not....

is this dvd-rb program to be used to make CCE on FULL dvd (main movie, and extras) ? or it can strip out unwanted extras like the doitfast4u method?

thx in advance

trx

gvittoz
31st March 2004, 15:02
All right
the extras dvd of dancing with the wolfs
don't work...

RobertR
31st March 2004, 15:11
Originally posted by trx
is this dvd-rb program to be used to make CCE on FULL dvd (main movie, and extras) ? or it can strip out unwanted extras like the doitfast4u method?
It's meant to do full copy (without any stripping). The best thing it's getting better and better with every passing hour.

jdobbs do you ever sleep? :D

trx
31st March 2004, 16:51
thx robert, that's what i was thinking ;)

im gonna give out my opinion, and once again dont criticise me for it...

fact: whant to use dvd-rb to do apply CCE method to full dvd (main movie and extras)

opinion: this is good if the extras dont take that long (size of extras bigger than main movie file) and if the movie is not that long too (2h+), what i dont understand (and pleaze note that im not criticising the project, ill support all the author effort :) :) it deserves it!!!), but what i dont understand is if i do CCE method to a full dvd without striping it (like doitfast 4 u), what are the consequences for it, i think its less %%% for the quality of main movie or no? (even if i do 10 passes with CCE)

isnt it possible to think in an addon to strip out unwanted extras, but still doing that as 1 click method program?

p.s: i just think that in doing this im gonna loose lots of quality %% in main movie or no?

can someone clarify me?

once again sorry for this silly opinion, maybe i didnt understood this one correctly,

thx and cheers,

trx

jdobbs
31st March 2004, 17:35
My goal has been to back up a DVD onto a DVD-5 with the best quality possible and as simply as possible. Most of the people who want to do this don't know what a stream is, and don't care. Again I state: I am not in competition with the BIG3 method... I am only presenting another option to those who want to back-up their DVDs.

Trahald
31st March 2004, 18:39
Not to get too far off track but actually big3 is intended for full backups as well (although due to the nature of the process, people can interject their will into the process ie removing extras.) and i agree. there is no competition. dvdrb will be what it will be and big3 will be what it will be. choose whichever suits your needs.

Oldeman
31st March 2004, 18:40
Jdobbs,

My goal has been to back up a DVD onto a DVD-5 with the best quality possible and as simply as possible.

Speaking for me, your stated goals are exactly right. I want the best quality backup as simple as possible.

Don't be distracted by the big 3 programmers. Stick to your goals...

Thanks for all your work on this great program..
amen..

Oldeman:)

Trahald
31st March 2004, 18:52
Originally posted by Oldeman

Don't be distracted by the big 3 programmers. Stick to your goals...

Thanks for all your work on this great program..
amen..

Oldeman:)

did you mean big3 users?

oh and btw.. i used it last night on an episodic dvd.. came out great (well, I didnt burn it.. just tested w/ifoedit player) didnt notice any problems

jdobbs
31st March 2004, 23:52
New version is attached

Attached is version 0.28 of DVD-RB. A summary of changes are listed below:

- Increased the buffer size for beta testing - just want to see if I miscalculated and some of the problems go away. Please let me know if you get error "0003" or "0004"

- Added code that prevents attempts to run Phase II (Encoding) if the preparation phase was done for another encoder. It also warns and then resets the CCE version to match the one selected during "Prepare" if it has been changed. This appears to be a source of a lot of confusion and errors based upon bug reports.

- Added an error message that pops up when you select the source directory if the selected path has either multiple angles or interleaved sectoring involved. I'm hoping this will cut down on some of the bug reports until I have these functions are supported.

- Changed "TargetSectors=" value and replaced it with one for each of the three encoders. Now use one or more of "CCETargetSectors=", "ReJigTargetSectors=", and "QuEncTargetSectors=" -- please note that "TargetSectors=" will still work, but any of the encoder specific settings will override it for that encoder.

Newer version available. See the first post of this thread.

chadp1a
31st March 2004, 23:56
sweet!!!!!

about to go home and try the .28 and see if I get that 0004 error anymore.

Thanks for the hard work jdobbs

chadp1a
1st April 2004, 00:18
New version is attached

Attached is version 0.28 of DVD-RB. A summary of changes are listed below:

- Increased the buffer size for beta testing - just want to see if I miscalculated and some of the problems go away. Please let me know if you get error "0003" or "0004"

- Added code that prevents attempts to run Phase II (Encoding) if the preparation phase was done for another encoder. It also warns and then resets the CCE version to match the one selected during "Prepare" if it has been changed. This appears to be a source of a lot of confusion and errors based upon bug reports.

- Added an error message that pops up when you select the source directory if the selected path has either multiple angles or interleaved sectoring involved. I'm hoping this will cut down on some of the bug reports until I have these functions are supported.

- Changed "TargetSectors=" value and replaced it with one for each of the three encoders. Now use one or more of "CCETargetSectors=", "ReJigTargetSectors=", and "QuEncTargetSectors=" -- please note that "TargetSectors=" will still work, but any of the encoder specific settings will override it for that encoder.

:( Runtime Error 6 - Overflow

using.....

CCE 2.67 Trial
WinXP

This is happening on a layer break - 00:00:01.00
If that helps any.

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 00:33
^$@#%^&!!! In what phase is it happening?

chadp1a
1st April 2004, 00:33
the rebuild phase

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 00:36
How did you get to the rebuild phase that fast?

legomen
1st April 2004, 00:38
jdobbs...i still get a 0004 error on the dvd A mighty Wind

windows xp
ecl 1.8
cce sp
rebuilder .28

jed
1st April 2004, 00:39
How can i be notified when a new version of DVD Rebuilder is out?

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 00:39
Originally posted by legomen
jdobbs...i still get a 0004 error on the dvd A mighty Wind

windows xp
ecl 1.8
cce sp
rebuilder .28

during the rebuild phase Well, at least I know now that it wasn't just too small a buffer...

chadp1a
1st April 2004, 00:46
How did you get to the rebuild phase that fast?

20GHZ 12gigs ram :D

j.k

i had already did phase 1 and 2 with version .27

would i have to start from scratch with .28 on phase 1 and 2?

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 00:47
Originally posted by chadp1a
20GHZ 12gigs ram :D

j.k

i had already did phase 1 and 2 with version .27

would i have to start from scratch with .28 on phase 1 and 2? Did you do the fist two phases with .27 or something earlier?

Added: Never mind - you already answered that.

hypo20
1st April 2004, 00:57
My goal has been to back up a DVD onto a DVD-5 with the best quality possible and as simply as possible. Most of the people who want to do this don't know what a stream is, and don't care. Again I state: I am not in competition with the BIG3 method... I am only presenting another option to those who want to back-up their DVDs.

You're right. You're not in competition with BIG3. You're x miles before it. :D

quantum
1st April 2004, 04:03
This is the kind of suggestion programmers like: easy to impliment. I just finished another batch job. I've been doing two at a time in one click mode for testing (and it's working great). I find myself wanting to know two things after it's finished. What was the average bitrate and how long did it take. I can find the bitrate if I scroll back and hunt around. I can figure out the time if I scroll back and do some math. I'd like to see:

Processing finished.
Batch 1 processing time: 235 minutes
Batch 1 bitrate: 2998 K

Batch 2 processing time: 422 minutes
Batch 2 bitrate: 3221 K

You get the idea. Just a suggestion :-)

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 04:14
This is the kind of suggestion programmers like: easy to impliment. I just finished another batch job. I've been doing two at a time in one click mode for testing (and it's working great). I find myself wanting to know two things after it's finished. What was the average bitrate and how long did it take. I can find the bitrate if I scroll back and hunt around. I can figure out the time if I scroll back and do some math. I'd like to see:

Processing finished.

You get the idea. Just a suggestion :-) Ok. It's on the list and should be in .29 -- if it isn't, yell at me and remind me I made a promise.

Stive
1st April 2004, 04:18

Processing finished.

You get the idea. Just a suggestion :-)

Way down the road of course...if the above or something similar is implemented, why not reduce math even more and say 3h 55m (vs 235 minutes) and
batch 1 avg bitrate: XXXXK or
batch 1 dynamic high bitrate XXXXK
batch 1 dynamic low bitrate XXXXK

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 04:24
Originally posted by Stive
Way down the road of course...if the above or something similar is implemented, why not reduce math even more and say 3h 55m (vs 235 minutes) and
batch 1 avg bitrate: XXXXK or
batch 1 dynamic low bitrate XXXXK Reasonable. Quantum? Is this ok with you?

quantum
1st April 2004, 04:29
Sure, anything close is fine with me. My only comment would be:

could be:
batch 1 high bitrate XXXXK

But whatever you think is best.

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 04:43
Do you want it at the end of each job or as a single summary after all have run? It looks like the latter... BTW -- I think it would be handy too. I have a 3 DVD batch running right now.

quantum
1st April 2004, 05:16
A single summary. I thought you lost the data for previous jobs on my last look at it.

DMagic1
1st April 2004, 06:46
Did you just introduce that feature? Wow, I asked about that back after the first release. I didn't think you remember or didnt think it was possible.

Nuhim
1st April 2004, 07:26
Hi, Jdobbs!

Thank for the perfect program.
It is a pity, but in the new versions the program checks the size initial DVD and if it > 4.7 Gb, stops work.
I used DVD RB 0.16 for converting 4:3 - > 16:9.
1. Prepare
2. In all AVS files I add lines (for NTSC)
crop (0,60,720,360)
bicubicresize (720,480)
3. In a file REBUILDER.ECL I change all aspect_ratio=2 on aspect_ratio=3
4. Encode
5. Rebuild

Can check on the size DVD make disconnected?

Thank.

trx
1st April 2004, 07:36
well, thx for all, now my doubts are clarifyed :D, big thank you to dvd-rb programmer, its hard to find this days a programmer working frelly for all of us ;) clap clap clap clap...

im gonna stay in the big3 method for now, taked too much time to learn and now im not gonna forget it that fast lol,

cheers,

p.s: im gonna try to test rb this weekend, ill tell if i get probs

gvittoz
1st April 2004, 09:35
when I use the dynamical cells...
I've got many bugs...
black screen instead of the movies...
In the same dvd (sleepy hollow) who's work
well before...
I try with Rejig now

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 11:05
Did you just introduce that feature? Wow, I asked about that back after the first release. I didn't think you remember or didnt think it was possible. I never forget -- but I can be a little slow sometimes.

jdobbs
1st April 2004, 11:10
Originally posted by Nuhim
Hi, Jdobbs!

Thank for the perfect program.
It is a pity, but in the new versions the program checks the size initial DVD and if it > 4.7 Gb, stops work.
I used DVD RB 0.16 for converting 4:3 - > 16:9.
1. Prepare
2. In all AVS files I add lines (for NTSC)
crop (0,60,720,360)
bicubicresize (720,480)
3. In a file REBUILDER.ECL I change all aspect_ratio=2 on aspect_ratio=3
4. Encode
5. Rebuild

Can check on the size DVD make disconnected?

Thank. Guess I never thought about that... I was concerned with the folks who were get a compression of 103%!! I'll turn that into a warning rather than an error.

jptheripper
1st April 2004, 15:24
thanx for the warnings in .28, it warned me on a dsk i didnt realize had multy angles, saved me lots of time

Suggestion, instead of just a warning you might want a freeze click to continue kind of thing, as RB will definately fail on what its not yet intended to do so no need to waste the time. :)

Thanx again

-jp

DMagic1
1st April 2004, 18:58
Message that a new, still silent member wanted to share.
Originally message by Sir Didymus
Look what happen if you change just one bit out of 4.700.000…

I have an hypothesis that could explain some of the errors people is
experiencing in using the amazing DVD-RB.

I am a newbie in the forum (first post…), so please do not blame on my
if what I suppose will demonstrate to be silly… [by the way, afraid too
for my poor English…]…

In my opinion the errors are generated in the preparation step, even if
they are generally reported in the rebuild.

On what I see, the method is based on the decoding of the video
segments for each video title sets using Avisynth and the Mpeg2Dec3dg plugin,
together with the trim function for feeding the encoder with video clip
"corresponding" to each one of the specific cell video content.

A side effect of the trim function is that it does not change
dynamically the properties (for example the size) of the trimmed segment, but it
keeps the properties of the first I frame in the first GOP of the
SOURCE CLIP.

This means that if the first cell of the decoded VOB has just ten black
frames of 704 x 576 or an introduction menu cell with the same size,
and all the rest of the VOB is based on 720 x 576 frames, then all of the
clips delivered to the encoder (or the transcoder) will be wrong sized.
The same happen if in the middle of the VOB there are cells with
different size. In this situation, even if the encoder step could complete
its job, the rebuild step will fall into inconsistencies due to the
different size information of the encoded clip from what is performed by the
encoder and the original ifo structure.

The example below is for PAL (I live in PAL-land), but the same applies
for NTSC titles too.

What I say is not just based on theory; one of the DVD titles I am
using for self teaching [TERMINATOR_2A_SCN, PAL R2] shows this change of
size among the title cells.

It is very easy to see the effects of the problem (it is sufficient to
change with VobEdit, a single bit of information in the first VOB of a
given title set): point to the video property of the first I frame of
the first VOB of a title from 720 x 576 to 704 x 576, which is a legal
resolution, or do something similar [replacing the size property string
from 0x2D024033 to 0x2C024033 or from 0x2D024023 to 0x2C024023]. All of
the cells in that VOB (not just the first GOP nor even the first
cell…) will be encoded with the wrong size. Test the VOB with Dvd2Avi
preview…

With VobEdit or an hex editor it is easy to bypass the trouble with
some manual change before using DVD-RB, anyway it will be an obstacle for
the automatic rebuilding of all the titles where the first cell of the
VOBs has different video (size) attributes respect to the other cells…

Does somebody know if there are other functions in Avisynth for cutting
segments of the source clip with dynamic update of the trimmed clip
video attributes [I read something in the Avisynth development forum about
a DirectStream function…] ?

Cheers

nwg
1st April 2004, 19:48
DVD-RB still amazes me.

I have gone back to 026 for now because of the runtime error 6 problem.

I did a disc from CSI season two. It has four episodes which runs for around 3 hours plus extras. It was set to 58% (reduced by 3GB).

I used CCE at 4 passes (about 9 hours) and it looks fantastic. I know it is down to CCE but, I could never got into the 'big 3' method. DVD-RB makes is so simple.

Skinleech
1st April 2004, 20:00
@jdobbs: Any chance of a backup and continye feature, like the recover option on DVD2SVCD?

My machine seems to randomly restart at the moment, so I can't encode more than 1/4 of a disk before it restarts...

Temporary till I get my Athlon64 up and running.

StifflerStealth
2nd April 2004, 01:48
This is not a comment about the program (disclaimer so no one gets disappainted :D).

Anyways, how about releasing new versions of this proggie in a new thread. These get pretty big. I mean the new sets of threads would be called: DVD Rebuider Comments and Suggestions for v0.29 Only, .... Bug Reports for v0.29 Only. Then you would have new ones for v0.30 and so on.

This way all the bug reports and seggestions will be grouped together for future versions. If someone post help about v0.28 in the v0.29 only forum, then ppl can laugh, scold, or point of the error of their ways.

One big benifit of this would be that the new versions are always posted in the _first_ post.

Just a thought,
Stiff

djan
2nd April 2004, 02:18
Not a so bad idea. :D

chadp1a
2nd April 2004, 02:22
@jdobbs

Comment:

When selecting a long path for the source, the input box starts a new line and continues with the rest of the path instead of being contained on the one line only.

Suggestion:

How about setting the source input box to maintain a history of recently used paths, like ie for example.

kadilak
2nd April 2004, 05:13
This has been suggested before, but I thought maybe I'd articulate it differently to see how hard it would be to implement.

Would it be possible for you to add a feature so we can hard code the bitrates of certain VTS's, and DVD-RB will then calculate the resulting bitrate for the ones we do not define? For example, I have a movie that has 2 VTS's, one being the main movie, one being the extras. Could you add a field in the application so when you click on a VTS it gives you a field in which you can enter in a bitrate, like 1850, or 2000. For the main movie VTS you would leave it at 0, which the application would interpret it as one it needed to calculate.

Not sure if that was very clear. Basically the option of hard coding a bitrate for a specific VTS, then have the app determine the resulting bitrate for everything else.

gvittoz
2nd April 2004, 07:32
Originally posted by nwg

I used CCE at 4 passes (about 9 hours) and it looks fantastic.

I'm sorry but how I have to do for CCE make 4 passes
where can I change that ???

Thankes very much

philos31
2nd April 2004, 07:54
I'm sorry but how I have to do for CCE make 4 passes
where can I change that ???

Thankes very much

Set 5 passes in rebuilder.

Click OPTIONS-> CCE OPTIONS-> SETTINGS and then select 5 for VBR passes

The first step (Prepare) of rebuilder counts for 1 pass, after that the next 4 passes will be done by CCE....

jptheripper
2nd April 2004, 15:27
Originally posted by kadilak
Would it be possible for you to add a feature so we can hard code the bitrates of certain VTS's, and DVD-RB will then calculate the resulting bitrate for the ones we do not define? For example, I have a movie that has 2 VTS's, one being the main movie, one being the extras. Could you add a field in the application so when you click on a VTS it gives you a field in which you can enter in a bitrate, like 1850, or 2000. For the main movie VTS you would leave it at 0, which the application would interpret it as one it needed to calculate.

This is exactly what i want as well, and I realize the math is a pain.

good luck !!

jdobbs
3rd April 2004, 05:48
Originally posted by philos31
Set 5 passes in rebuilder.

Click OPTIONS-> CCE OPTIONS-> SETTINGS and then select 5 for VBR passes

The first step (Prepare) of rebuilder counts for 1 pass, after that the next 4 passes will be done by CCE.... Actually the PREPARE doesn't count -- CCE does 5 passes but only calls it 4. I would recommend you never select higher than 4 from the SETTINGS. Remember that each additional pass increases the overall time to encode by 50% of a 2 pass encode -- and the additional improvement in quality gets smaller with each pass.

But if you have lots of time or are letting it run overnight -- go for the gusto and run as many passes as your heart desires.

promitheas
3rd April 2004, 07:44
Congratulations for the whole work.
2 suggestions from me:
A. It's a good idea to have the option of working with TMPGenc . Also check the new TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator of the same company.
B. It would be very useful for foreign users if we could add a subtitle stream in the final DVD. Consider the suggestion because there is no other notPro software to do that (except IfoEdit which can not do what DVD ReBuilder can does.
Thanks

Mtz
3rd April 2004, 08:36
Originally posted by promitheas
B. It would be very useful for foreign users if we could add a subtitle stream in the final DVD.
I will LOVE that feature, but I think it's impossible. :eek:
Maybe jdobbs or another can tell me if that it's possible. Technically speaking.
10x !

philos31
3rd April 2004, 10:45
Originally posted by promitheas

B. It would be very useful for foreign users if we could add a subtitle stream in the final DVD.

I know excatly what you mean, and that would be a great feature...
I am a bit of a n00b when I compare myself to the rest here, but I guess that it would be extreamly difficult because RB compares the original Vob and Ifo files and makes the encoded stream work the same.
(correct me if I am wrong)
So maybe it would be an idea to give us a possibility to choose 1 of the subs we don't want, and mux another one we made into it.

For example English movie, replace English subs for ****** (Whatever language we need)

This would be a nice option to have, but without it I also like the program 1000%

Another option that would be usefull:
Hear a bit of the audiostream before encoding.

When I want to backup a DVD with lets say Directors commentary, I dont know what English soundtrack to remove...
If I could hear a bit, I could make a better decision

jdobbs
3rd April 2004, 12:19
Originally posted by philos31
I know excatly what you mean, and that would be a great feature...
I am a bit of a n00b when I compare myself to the rest here, but I guess that it would be extreamly difficult because RB compares the original Vob and Ifo files and makes the encoded stream work the same.
(correct me if I am wrong)
So maybe it would be an idea to give us a possibility to choose 1 of the subs we don't want, and mux another one we made into it.

For example English movie, replace English subs for ****** (Whatever language we need)

This would be a nice option to have, but without it I also like the program 1000%

Another option that would be usefull:
Hear a bit of the audiostream before encoding.

When I want to backup a DVD with lets say Directors commentary, I dont know what English soundtrack to remove...
If I could hear a bit, I could make a better decision The problem for me would be getting from text to a subpicture stream. Right now all I do for subpictures is take them from the original stream, modify necessary header information to synchronize it with the new stream I am creating, and multiplex it into that stream. That may be a feature some time in the future as I add more authoring capabilities. I've added it to my wish-list, but because of the amount of work involved it will probably be some time before you'd see it.

Something I think would be cool is to put the text and/or audio from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon onto a Wizard of Oz track -- just to see if there is any truth to the urban legend that they match up.

smlong426
3rd April 2004, 16:57
The problem for me would be getting from text to a subpicture stream. Right now all I do for subpictures is take them from the original stream, modify necessary header information to synchronize it with the new stream I am creating, and multiplex it into that stream. That may be a feature some time in the future as I add more authoring capabilities. I've added it to my wish-list, but because of the amount of work involved it will probably be some time before you'd see it.

Something I think would be cool is to put the text and/or audio from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon onto a Wizard of Oz track -- just to see if there is any truth to the urban legend that they match up.

I have a Wizard of Oz DVD that has just that. It does match up, to an extent. Although it appears to be more coincidence than anything to me ..

onesoul
3rd April 2004, 17:34
The problem for me would be getting from text to a subpicture stream.
Subpicture stream is a sup file, right? (I'm not sure). If so, there is a tool "DVD subtitle converter" (dvdsuptools) which converts micro dvd text files to sup files. Latest is 1.6, you can get it at doom9 download page or http://web.quick.cz/FKasparek/ (seems down now but was there yesterday).
Would it be easy if the user provided the already converted sup file?

jel
3rd April 2004, 18:25
okay, so here i enter the fray with little knowledge and even less to contribute :D
as of this moment in time i know that you do not support menu re-enccoding and/or BOV implementation ... and also ILVU and other seamless branching titles..and fair enough, it is far beyond the present scope... however, you have currently set a disclaimer that advises the user that it is not recommmended to use dvd-rb on a multi-angle etc titles yet those that try to use this program on a title that has other quirks will be confused as to why it didnt work. i know it is not the norm' but it is an increasing occurence in DVDs, where an extras disc will have vtses that rely on user input (similar to menus) to control other .vobs (an example would be in the POTC extras disk and the 'hulk' extras disc). as has previously been discussed, it may be a good idea to avoid these situations with a disclaimer, until other problems are resolved.

either way, maybe you could discuss the issue of copying commands with 'Zuel' given his extensive knowledge with the subject.
beyond this i simply wanted to congratulate you on your efforts and wish you all the best with dodging untowards remarks from your loved ones with your continual support for this program
good luck, j

ps ever since i witnessed the pink pig flying over the crowd in a concert 15 years ago, i have always wondered about the 'wizard of oz' correlation?!?!!!- it is also discussed here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71735&highlight=wizard

jdobbs
3rd April 2004, 18:37
Originally posted by jel
okay, so here i enter the fray with little knowledge and even less to contribute :D
as of this moment in time i know that you do not support menu re-enccoding and/or BOV implementation ... and also ILVU and other seamless branching titles..and fair enough, it is far beyond the present scope... however, you have currently set a disclaimer that advises the user that it is not recommmended to use dvd-rb on a multi-angle etc titles yet those that try to use this program on a title that has other quirks will be confused as to why it didnt work. i know it is not the norm' but it is an increasing occurence in DVDs, where an extras disc will have vtses that rely on user input (similar to menus) to control other .vobs (an example would be in the POTC extras disk and the 'hulk' extras disc). as has previously been discussed, it may be a good idea to avoid these situations with a disclaimer, until other problems are resolved.

either way, maybe you could discuss the issue of copying commands with 'Zuel' given his extensive knowledge with the subject.
beyond this i simply wanted to congratulate you on your efforts and wish you all the best with dodging untowards remarks from your loved ones with your continual support for this program
good luck, j

ps ever since i witnessed the pink pig flying over the crowd in a concert 15 years ago, i have always wondered about the 'wizard of oz' correlation?!?!!!- it is also discussed here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71735&highlight=wizard I've said it over-and-over... these things (other than menu encoding, which I have no intention of supporting) will be supported by the time I get out of beta -- THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE :( Who am I to make the disclaimers too? If someone is surprised that everything doesn't work in a beta then they don't know what a beta is. At least cut me a little slack...

jel
3rd April 2004, 18:47
sorry, i honestly meant no critisism, merely an observation that other users may encounter, in their trial of this fantastic software. it was not my intention to critisize, i was only offering a situation where testing should not be applyed at this present moment
well wishes
j

jdobbs
3rd April 2004, 18:52
I don't mind criticism and I'm not upset (I don't take anything that seriously). I'm just saying that in a beta state there is a lot that needs to be done. I'm not even ready for a user's manual yet because things are changing so quickly.

RB
3rd April 2004, 19:41
I've said it over-and-over... these things (other than menu encoding, which I have no intention of supporting)
Hmm... but you plan to support Button Over Video, IIRC. The thing is, there is practically no difference between BOV and a menu. BOV is essentially a motion menu (forced subpicture with highlight stream and buttons embedded into NAV packs), just like a standard menu in the VTS_??_0.VOB. Also menus can be quite huge. I really don't think you have to implement much, if any, special code for menus.

The thing jel is pointing out is that a menu cannot only reside in the VTS_??_0.VOB. There are a lot of DVDs that have menus in some PGCs in the "normal" VTS_??_x.VOBs. As jel pointed out, POTC is an excellent example. Another example is Disc 2 of Matrix Revolutions. I remember some people posting about their menus not working anymore after DVD-RB. Those were likely discs that had the menus simply in the "movie VOBs".

So one way or the other you'll have to deal with the menus, I'm afraid.

2COOL
3rd April 2004, 20:29
Originally posted by RB
I remember some people posting about their menus not working anymore after DVD-RB. Those were likely discs that had the menus simply in the "movie VOBs".I was one of them. ;)

jdobbs
3rd April 2004, 21:39
Originally posted by RB
Hmm... but you plan to support Button Over Video, IIRC. The thing is, there is practically no difference between BOV and a menu. BOV is essentially a motion menu (forced subpicture with highlight stream and buttons embedded into NAV packs), just like a standard menu in the VTS_??_0.VOB. Also menus can be quite huge. I really don't think you have to implement much, if any, special code for menus.

The thing jel is pointing out is that a menu cannot only reside in the VTS_??_0.VOB. There are a lot of DVDs that have menus in some PGCs in the "normal" VTS_??_x.VOBs. As jel pointed out, POTC is an excellent example. Another example is Disc 2 of Matrix Revolutions. I remember some people posting about their menus not working anymore after DVD-RB. Those were likely discs that had the menus simply in the "movie VOBs".

So one way or the other you'll have to deal with the menus, I'm afraid. Maybe I went into beta too early. But from my experience these aren't that common -- most of the time the menu is in the _0.VOB -- and I wanted to catch as many gotchas as possible in basic DVDs first.

Rombaldi
3rd April 2004, 22:06
Maybe I went into beta too early.

Not even... you can only test so many things, the only way to get it completly shaken down is to throw it to the masses, with the cavet that 'this may screw up'... but you'll find out where the cockroachs run when the lights come on..

a magnificent job thus far in an incredibly short time...

now (and not asking WHEN, but HOW), in re: 4:3 LBX to 16:9 conversion.. how to you plan to do that (clutching his copy of MST3K: The Movie)??

jdobbs
3rd April 2004, 22:57
Originally posted by Rombaldi
Not even... you can only test so many things, the only way to get it completly shaken down is to throw it to the masses, with the cavet that 'this may screw up'... but you'll find out where the cockroachs run when the lights come on..

a magnificent job thus far in an incredibly short time...

now (and not asking WHEN, but HOW), in re: 4:3 LBX to 16:9 conversion.. how to you plan to do that (clutching his copy of MST3K: The Movie)?? Nothing complicated. Here's how I normally do it in AVISYNTH:

LanczosResize(720,480,0,60,720,360)
or
BilinearResize(720,480,0,60,720,360)

RB
3rd April 2004, 23:36
Maybe I went into beta too early. But from my experience these aren't that common -- most of the time the menu is in the _0.VOB -- and I wanted to catch as many gotchas as possible in basic DVDs first.
Actually I have seen this quite a few times, especially on older DVDs from the 90's and now with "Extras" DVDs (POTC, Finding Nemo...). If it's a still menu and nothing else in the VOB they will be very small (Meet the Parents R2 is like that) so your code skips the VTS, maybe that's why you haven't seen more complaints.

jdobbs
3rd April 2004, 23:43
Subpicture stream is a sup file, right? (I'm not sure). If so, there is a tool "DVD subtitle converter" (dvdsuptools) which converts micro dvd text files to sup files. Latest is 1.6, you can get it at doom9 download page or http://web.quick.cz/FKasparek/ (seems down now but was there yesterday).
Would it be easy if the user provided the already converted sup file? I'm not familiar with the sup file format. Is it run-length encoded 4 color information that has been packetized for DVD?

jdobbs
4th April 2004, 00:12
New version (0.29) attached

Attached please find the newest version of DVD Rebuilder (DVD-RB. Still working the infrequent end-of-cell audio glitch. A summary of the changes are listed below:

New version posted -- see the first post of this thread

nwg
4th April 2004, 00:19
Excellent Thanks.

That is a lot of work.

2COOL
4th April 2004, 00:25
- Fixed the error introduced in version 0.27 that could cause "Runtime Error '6'" when the last cell of a VTS contained no audio or subpicture data (usually related to a still picture used as an exit point from a PGC).Now, we're cooking! Can't wait to test this when I get home! :D:thanks:

nwg
4th April 2004, 00:31
I've also added a path configuration in the SETUP screen that points to DECOMB.DLL. If it exists, it will be automatically used for cleaning up interlaced source material.

I am using PAL DVD's, do I need the decomb.dll?

I downloaded the Decomb510.dll, do I need to rename it to Decomb.dll?

I am looking forward to seeing the runtime error solved mainly. That was the reason why I was using 0.26.

jdobbs
4th April 2004, 00:36
Originally posted by nwg
I am using PAL DVD's, do I need the decomb.dll?

I downloaded the Decomb510.dll, do I need to rename it to Decomb.dll?

I am looking forward to seeing the runtime error solved mainly. That was the reason why I was using 0.26. That will work fine. Just install it somewhere and point to it on the SETUP page. Whether you need it is a subject of a lot of debate -- but sometimes it is the only way to get a solid picture (on a PC) out of an interlaced source.

nwg
4th April 2004, 00:45
That will work fine. Just install it somewhere and point to it on the SETUP page. Whether you need it is a subject of a lot of debate -- but sometimes it is the only way to get a solid picture (on a PC) out of an interlaced source.

OK thanks.

I just done prepare on PAL Matrix Revolutions and it said's Progressive. Can I assume that the right settings will be chosen automatically? That is a great feature as I am totally new to the avisynth part of it.

Also, if I want to set TargetSectors to 4.34GB what is the sector number?

jdobbs
4th April 2004, 00:56
Originally posted by nwg
OK thanks.

I just done prepare on PAL Matrix Revolutions and it said's Progressive. Can I assume that the right settings will be chosen automatically? That is a great feature as I am totally new to the avisynth part of it.

Also, if I want to set TargetSectors to 4.34GB what is the sector number? Yes it should. The line that says "PROGRESSIVE" has been removed and the attachment reposted. It is inaccurate because it is only telling you how it had determined the last cell in the VTS. It was some debugging code I forgot to remove.