PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rebuilder (CCE One-Click Beta v0.46) Comments and Suggestions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

TheSeeker
4th May 2004, 06:17
Well because alot of times when i rip dvd's with dvd decrypter i use stream processing to just get the video and english 6ch audio stream. Because of this the resulting vob's are under 4.5 gb. but i dont need any menus or anything like that so maybe you should but a Re-Auther mode or something into dvd-rb so people who want to can just rip the video and single audio stream and then just run the vobs through dvd-rb on this re-author mode to get the video_ts and audio_ts directories so they can just burn those to dvd-r. At least that would seem rather useful to me.

Le_Zouave
4th May 2004, 06:41
Originally posted by TheSeeker
Well because alot of times when i rip dvd's with dvd decrypter i use stream processing to just get the video and english 6ch audio stream. Because of this the resulting vob's are under 4.5 gb. but i dont need any menus or anything like that so maybe you should but a Re-Auther mode or something into dvd-rb so people who want to can just rip the video and single audio stream and then just run the vobs through dvd-rb on this re-author mode to get the video_ts and audio_ts directories so they can just burn those to dvd-r. At least that would seem rather useful to me.

If you are using CCE then DVD2DVD-R is for you, the last version is 1.8.1 I think.
In the case that the movie alone is under 4.35Gb then DVD Shrink will be barely enough but of course use the re-author mode (by default it's on "full disc" mode).
DVD-RB is the only way with the Big 3 to use CCE to re-encode and keep the menu. If you are not planning to use CCE there is a lot of other software that have a lots of great feature (but don't have the CCE support).

KungFuCow
4th May 2004, 08:04
You can also rip the main movie with DVDShrink with 0 compression and then run the output through DVD-RB. Its one extra step but it's pretty painless.

unplugged
4th May 2004, 08:45
Originally posted by jdobbs
I've never used this option. Are you positive it will have no negative affects?
There was a bit of discussion when idct options were expanded in MPEG2Dec plugin, simpleIDCT (7) has quite positive feedback as I red and know in this forum (from users).
I have used it with ~20 DVDs, some with my previous Athlon XP machine and some with my latest Pentium4, I'm quite happy about its detail and had no bad surprises so far (surprises at all).
It's also reported to produce even slightly bigger encodes.

And it's fast!

jdobbs
4th May 2004, 11:52
Originally posted by FreQi
Are there plans to impliment a way to pause encoding?

I don't know how DVD-RB deals with other encoders, but when using CCE, I noticed that it's encoding each cell, feeding one ecl at a time to CCE. Would it be possible to have DVD-RB pause between ecl's and remember it's state to allow resuming from the next cell at a later time?

I sometimes find myself needing to reboot or capture a tv show while in the middle of an encode, and if DVD-RB would just hold off on sending the next job to CCE, I could do that.

And BTW, I am incredibly happy with this app. THANK YOU. When the next job starts -- push pause/abort in 3 click mode, and you can pick up where you left off in the encoding.

RB
4th May 2004, 14:03
Originally posted by unplugged
jdobbs, could you adopt "mpeg2source("source.d2v",idct=7)" model in your default avs scripts, idct7 (simpleIDCT code from libavcodec) is best qualitywise and fast as others and with all CPUs (only idct5, for SSE2 and P4s, is little faster but slightly worse with quality)
Originally posted by DDogg
jdobbs, there is something nagging me in the back of my head about that idct line. Enough to suggest you get nic or RB to weigh in on the subject.[/B]
@unplugged:
Just create a mpeg2dec3.def file (no, not mpeg2dec3dg.def) in the D2VAVS directory and add a lineidct=7

@jdobbs:
I know you are very responsive to user's suggestions and feature requests. This is a very good thing and it is highly appreciated. However, I see the risk of you getting a little flooded with "feature creep" :) I hope nobody gets me wrong, this is not meant to shut up people or put words in your mouth, jdobbs. Just a concern I have. Given that there are a number of outstanding issues such as Philips players not liking DVD-RB backups at all, no subs in certain SAs, simple VTSes sometimes split into hundreds of segments, still some A/V sync and stuttering problems etc., may I respectfully suggest that maybe it's time to think about a temporal feature freeze? :) Again, I'm not trying to speak for everyone, just trying to express what I'd likely do if I were in your shoes.

rayvt
4th May 2004, 14:42
I just did "What dreams may come" with dvdrb-0.46/CCE2.66, one click method.
During the rebuild, I got error #0004, buffer overflow.

jdobbs
4th May 2004, 15:13
I know you are very responsive to user's suggestions and feature requests. This is a very good thing and it is highly appreciated. However, I see the risk of you getting a little flooded with "feature creep" I hope nobody gets me wrong, this is not meant to shut up people or put words in your mouth, jdobbs. Just a concern I have. Given that there are a number of outstanding issues such as Philips players not liking DVD-RB backups at all, no subs in certain SAs, simple VTSes sometimes split into hundreds of segments, still some A/V sync and stuttering problems etc., may I respectfully suggest that maybe it's time to think about a temporal feature freeze? Again, I'm not trying to speak for everyone, just trying to express what I'd likely do if I were in your shoes. Thanks for pointing out all those problems in a single post... now I'm really depressed. ;)

Note added later: I'm not serious. Please, everyone, don't have any crisis intervention people calling my house.

tomaste
4th May 2004, 15:20
Note added later: I'm not serious. Please, everyone, don't have any crisis intervention people calling my house.
Lol! Just shows how attached we've become!

the-warriners
4th May 2004, 15:25
@RB
may I respectfully suggest that maybe it's time to think about a
temporal feature freeze?

I would second that. I am still reluctant to stop using DVD Shrink as I am worried that when I next come to use a backup there will be problems with it.
I'd really like to get to the point where we are all happy that there are no major issues lurking.

And thanks again JDobbs - I have already sent 2 donations and will send some more once I am able.

Joergen
4th May 2004, 15:38
Yes, although I dont care about philips or other player problems since I wont be buying such players, I'd also like to see jdobbs halt the new features and continue working on fixing the bugs RB mentioned.

But as a sidenote only the hundreds-o-segments bug has concerned me thus far with one title. :)

DVD-RB "even" in its current state is the best thing that ever happened to DVD backup, and is still getting better!

insanescape
4th May 2004, 15:41
I say perhaps it's time to have some sort of poll and feature chart to sort out what's important, what's wished, and what is really happening.

I mean, I'm sure jdobbs has people from all directions saying things like "Fix BOV" and "where's my interleaving, bitch!" or "Compress the menus for crying out loud!" but probably has no real grasp as to what users as a whole find most important. That and he probably has his own ideas of what he wants to implement next, which of course we might not know about.

So, instead of having disjointed requests and fixes, let's prioritize so people can have a general idea of when to expect things and jdobbs can be sane with organization :)

Joergen
4th May 2004, 15:50
I think jdobbs is ontop of things and arranging polls would make people think they have the right to expect the most-voted "feature" to be in the software by the next update. Its best for jdobbs to dictate what he wants to do and when, otherwise it can actually slow down the development through unrealistic expectations and stress. :(

insanescape
4th May 2004, 15:56
I never said it was an absolute.. (cue up images of jdobbs throwing his papers across the room because everyone voted on my "selection complimentary remarks" option instead of Menuing). Just an idea :)

robot1
4th May 2004, 16:39
Originally posted by onesoul
Hey, this is just a crazy thought but since procoder is so popular with interlaced sources ... and it's better than CCE with interlaced or progressive source at low bitrates.
IMHO.

DDogg
4th May 2004, 17:00
I don't think it is a bad idea to filter and sift the suggestions. I sure wished I could have voted no on deinterlacing for NTSC, especially at the early stage of the program. Like you guys said, it's his call, but allowing the user base to filter 'individual enthusiasms' from core mainstream requests might be a way to provide useful information to jdobbs.

Over the years I found users typically tend to demand better justifications for features from other users because they fear a new individual enthusiasm might just end up breaking their own individual enthusiasm. :)

JuanC
5th May 2004, 04:50
@DDogg (&jdobbs):

This avisynth usage forum thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75610) made me wonder: Has anybody (@ this 50+ pages! thread) suggested jdobbs to allow users of DVD-RB to insert a couple of customizable lines for every AVS (Something similar to what NuMenu4U does) so that they could apply any avisynth filters they like?

I'm not lazy, but haven't got the time to read all these "mega-threads" ;)

Gunner-GoNad
5th May 2004, 07:09
Originally posted by JuanC
@DDogg (&jdobbs):

This avisynth usage forum thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75610) made me wonder: Has anybody (@ this 50+ pages! thread) suggested jdobbs to allow users of DVD-RB to insert a couple of customizable lines for every AVS (Something similar to what NuMenu4U does) so that they could apply any avisynth filters they like?

I'm not lazy, but haven't got the time to read all these "mega-threads" ;)

That sounds good in all but I think jdobbs wants this to be an easy one click option with CCE. You start adding custom AVS you might as well go back to the old broken 3 step (or more :)) wagon wheel.

- Gunner-GoNad

DDogg
5th May 2004, 08:17
JuanC, not to worry, I suggest it about every chance I get :)

Gunner-GoNad, the appropriate compression filters can reduce bitrate requirements sometimes up to 20-25% without negatively effecting the video quality (to me). Since dvd-rb is trying to fit fit the equivalent of two disks onto one, supporting light compression filtering seems to make sense within the dvd-rb framework.

shoarthing
5th May 2004, 14:32
Hi - firstly wish to say how impressed I am by this clever utility. Apart from its functional excellence, I really admire the modesty & neatness of the interface. Also very much appreciate & applaud distance from the implicit hint of 'warez' endorsement caused where utilities depend on vastly expensive [ie Scenarist] third-party s/w

Requests:

- in support of 'unplugged' - An option [presumably off the AVS 'advanced [expert] options' menu] for global choice of the IDCT value - specifying this is of real value to those w/ PIV-familiy CPU's or K7's w/ the current MS driver.

Support for the Mainconcept encoder - as well as quality arguably on a plane w/ CCE, this affordable encoder has efficient '3D Now!' & SMP optimisations, & is not biased towards the Intel PIV-family platform.

- many thanks again to jdobbs for all your work.

Axlemar
5th May 2004, 14:48
ALl of the error messages I have got before are gone but they seem to have been replaced with error 5. Other than the error 5 problems, a lot more dvds work now. Thanks for the great program.

caprioles9000
6th May 2004, 15:26
jdobbs just wanted to let you know that i have tried 0.46 ..and i am afraid that the audio dropouts of like a millisecond still exists ..however its less than before ....the situation occurs at 24 NTSC Season 1 Disc 1 . Its the fourth episode ..where a woman cop gets killed and just when the scene changes from one to the other you hear the audio drop :( .....i also have tried the Big3 and in that one it does not ..so i am just guessing that or during the mucing something happens or its something with the encoding...... but no clue :( ...but again man this is some amazing software ...i am sure that in the end when the RC1 comes alog littel glitches like this will be nothing :) again .....my hats off to you :)...i wonder if anyone else can confirm this issue with 0.46....

Greetings
Caprioles9000

Harm
6th May 2004, 19:14
I got some other suggestions:
1. Post a new sticky just containing what bugs are worked upon
2. Post another sticky containing what suggestions have been made and with what result

Because these threads are sooooooooooooo big..... :)

So I haven't been able to find out if someone already suggested to build something to replace an existing subtitle by another one in the rebuild phase?
Seems like a great advantage to me...... :D

philos31
6th May 2004, 19:42
That has been suggested allready, would be a great option...

rayvt
7th May 2004, 16:25
A minor improvement suggestion:
Have dvd-rb save the log to a text file (in the work directory) at exit. I've been starting a "one-click & shutdown" before I go to bed, and it would be nice to see this. Otherwise, I have to depend on the fact that my computer is off in the morning to infer that everything went ok.

Joergen
7th May 2004, 21:36
Any news jdobbs? I'm getting worried since no updates for days ;)

Programming must be a pain at times, but please dont end up like the creator of pkzip who drank himself to death! :scared:

(and boy was pkzip ever a highly useful tool, arj is dead for 7 years, he had no reason to be depressed, or maybe he drank to celebrate his victory...)

rui
7th May 2004, 22:29
Well, DVD-RB 0.46 is working so great for me, that even if no more updates are made, my small donations were money very well spent. :)

jdobbs
7th May 2004, 22:55
Originally posted by Joergen

Programming must be a pain at times, but please dont end up like the creator of pkzip who drank himself to death! :scared:

(and boy was pkzip ever a highly useful tool, arj is dead for 7 years, he had no reason to be depressed, or maybe he drank to celebrate his victory...) It's been a busy week on my paying job (again). I haven't had any time to dedicate to the software. The weekend should produce another version.

blueboyec
7th May 2004, 23:45
Jdobbs,

Started using this program for the last couple of weeks and its great. Thanks for the hard work, donation sent.

nwg
8th May 2004, 00:41
I have decided that Rebuilder works extremely well with DVDRemake.

I just done Star Trek TNG Season 1 Disc 1. I used DVDRemake to take the copyright messages and the menus in Non-English languages. I made the DVD load the English menu as default. Normally, you have to select the required language and it loads the appropriate menu in the chosen language. I managed to get the menu's down from 250MB to 85MB.

I put the ouput through Shrink to get rid of the unwanted audio (and delete the ifo entries. I put the Shrink output through Rebuilder 0.46 using CCE and 3 passes.

I cannot see any difference with the commercial DVD. I am very pleased.

jdobbs
8th May 2004, 18:21
Originally posted by blueboyec
Jdobbs,

Started using this program for the last couple of weeks and its great. Thanks for the hard work, donation sent. Thanks much.

jdobbs
8th May 2004, 18:22

(and boy was pkzip ever a highly useful tool, arj is dead for 7 years, he had no reason to be depressed, or maybe he drank to celebrate his victory...) Posted 0.47... it would have been sooner but I just woke up from a 7 day drunk. ;)

Edit: BTW, if you've every written an algorithm for Adaptive Huffman or Lempel-Ziv-Welch compression you could understand how it might drive someone to drink...

Joergen
8th May 2004, 20:39
Good job with 0.47! Stay strong!

I'm really bad at maths, which just might be a blessing. I do drink extensively when I get going though :o

rayvt
9th May 2004, 23:22
Some more minor problems:
(All of these came up when I tried to do Hunt For Red October.)
HFRO has one huge VTS, everything is in it, extras, main movie, etc.
HFRO has 291(!!!) segments.
1) If the Source Path is long, it won't fit in the GUI field, and you can't scroll it to see what it is.
2) In the status panel, during encode phase, the segment number displayed is only 2 digits. This needs to be 3.
3) Of the 291 segments in HFRO, 276 of them are only 1 frame. These get assigned bitrates anywhere from 393 to 9000. It would be nice to have DVDRB give all these a low bitrate. Either automatically, or maybe an option ("Assign bitrate of ___ to segments smaller than ___ frames.")

DDogg
11th May 2004, 01:49
jdobbs, any more thoughts on whether you will consider supporting templates for CCE 2.67.x ? I think RB would have any information you need on the registry loacations.

RobertR
11th May 2004, 15:54
Some of us have more than one hard drive. It could be usefull to be able to tell DVD RB to work (ie generate avs'es and m2v and other files) in one directory and to recreate final VOBs, IFOs etc in some other. Small feature probably easy to implement (to avoid confusion 'muxdir' could by default be same as 'workdir') but could be helpfull :)

jdobbs
11th May 2004, 16:09
Originally posted by DDogg
jdobbs, any more thoughts on whether you will consider supporting templates for CCE 2.67.x ? I think RB would have any information you need on the registry loacations. Not sure I understand what you mean.

EddieTH
11th May 2004, 16:10
I posted this a couple of weeks ago, and I'm guessing you didn't see it since you were pretty busy with other issues. I've looked at Rebuilder.ECL files from the newer versions and didn't see a line for it, but I'm not always the most observant person in the world.
Originally posted by EddieTH
I just started working with CCE Basic 2.69.01.04 and I noticed that while they have added Quantization Characteristics in this version, DVD Rebuilder still doesn't use it for ECL files in Basic mode.

jdobbs
11th May 2004, 16:17
Originally posted by RobertR
Some of us have more than one hard drive. It could be usefull to be able to tell DVD RB to work (ie generate avs'es and m2v and other files) in one directory and to recreate final VOBs, IFOs etc in some other. Small feature probably easy to implement (to avoid confusion 'muxdir' could by default be same as 'workdir') but could be helpfull :) I've had this suggestion before -- and the hard part for me is trying to figure out the benefit. If I'm rebuilding into a different hard drive, how much time could I really save? Right now on my system the rebuild only takes about 15-20 minutes on a single drive, so even if you could cut that in half (which isn't likely) you'd only save 10 minutes off of a job that takes hours. As for the encoding (which takes the lion's share of the time), my experience has been that it's pretty much processor bound rather than I/O, and it can already be on two drives (source and working) anyway. Thoughts?

DDogg
11th May 2004, 16:31
Not sure I understand what you mean.
We must have a disconnect as I am nearly sure this subject has been brought up before. Also, template usage is one of the main focus points of Doom9's CCE tutorials. I do realize you would need to make your own modifications to the chosen template, but if you used it as your 'base' for the ecl creation, people could use some of the more advanced features of CCE 2.67, including different matrices. That would be the main use for me.

EddieTH
11th May 2004, 16:55
When I first started using DVD-RB I thought it would be better to use a different drive for the finished DVD, but after using it I agree with jdobbs about there not really being any performance advantage. I don't think I could get better times than I already do without a faster PC.

[BMC]
11th May 2004, 17:02
I totally agree. The biggest improvement I would like to see in DVD-RB would be to allow the setting of lower bitrate for extras. Once again jdobbs, thanks for giving us such a wonderful tool

c0b3c
11th May 2004, 20:35
Thank you jdobbs for the latest 0.47 build! Finally cce worked for me without getting "DVD Rebuilder experienced a buffer overflow. Error #0004. Process must abort."

One thing i noticed though was the inability of dvd-rb to copy the still images data (used for biography or photo gallery in menus) in the program chains. Could this be implemented as well please?

jdobbs
11th May 2004, 21:38
Hmmm... it has been working successfully with stills... not sure what is happening in your case.

c0b3c
11th May 2004, 23:09
I used CCE 2.66+ SP / Dynamically assign cell bitrates / Half D1 and Half Space for Extras options

When I click on the Photo Gallery button menu freezes and doesn't go to the corresponding chapter. Thankfully "Main" button works and i can click out of the freeze back to the extras menu. I'm not knowledgeable of the inner workings of the dvd but anything else i can do to troubleshoot this better? I looked with dvd-remake and only the button links have been preserved with "no video present" for the corresponding still image PGC.

Joergen
12th May 2004, 03:21
Maybe it has half-d1'ed the still pictures in the extras and that screws the menu?

wgw
12th May 2004, 03:24
I've had this suggestion before -- and the hard part for me is trying to figure out the benefit. If I'm rebuilding into a different hard drive, how much time could I really save? Right now on my system the rebuild only takes about 15-20 minutes on a single drive, so even if you could cut that in half (which isn't likely) you'd only save 10 minutes off of a job that takes hours. As for the encoding (which takes the lion's share of the time), my experience has been that it's pretty much processor bound rather than I/O, and it can already be on two drives (source and working) anyway. Thoughts?

I was thinking of asking for the same option. The prepare process takes about the same amount of time regardless of whether or not the source and working directory are on the same drive. About 8 minutes on my system. But the Rebuild phase takes 30 minutes or more.

Could you possibly do a Rebuild test where the final destination is on a different drive than the working directory and see if there is any improvement in the rebuild time? Are you using SCSI or IDE drives? Most of us are probably using ATA100 IDE drives which might account for my rebuild process taking longer than the 15-20 minutes you are getting. The Rebuild phase only uses 25-30% CPU on my system so I am assuming that there is probably intense disk access that is slowing the process.

Joergen
12th May 2004, 03:31
I originally suggested this, and I usually have the source files and the working dir on two separate drives, but it prolly doesnt help that much cause the audio and subs data read from the source drive is so small during rebuild. But with this in mind it would probably help if the target of the rebuild was the other drive cause the video part is naturally the largest data to be read/written.

Jdobbs: perhaps you could just add a tick to the options like "Rebuild to source drive" or an optional rebuild path under the options so you dont need to add it to the front gui and confuse people.

EddieTH
12th May 2004, 03:33
Originally posted by wgw
Most of us are probably using ATA100 IDE drives which might account for my rebuild process taking longer than the 15-20 minutes you are getting. The Rebuild phase only uses 25-30% CPU on my system so I am assuming that there is probably intense disk access that is slowing the process.
It gets done in 13-17 minutes (usually around 15) on my ATA100 drive so I find that interesting. The only time I ever got longer times (about twice as long) was when I started using RBFarm and was using a mapped drive. It was a local drive, but I was accessing it through a mapping. Since apparently that's not everyone's experience I guess I'd like to see if it would make a difference for others.

wgw
12th May 2004, 04:01
Jdobbs: perhaps you could just add a tick to the options like "Rebuild to source drive" or an optional rebuild path under the options so you dont need to add it to the front gui and confuse people.

A tick option in the next version would be great. We could give it a try and provide feedback and if it does not prove beneficial you could remove it in future versions.

Or perhaps it might be easier to add a "hidden setting" in the ini file for testing.

RB
12th May 2004, 09:31
Originally posted by c0b3c
I used CCE 2.66+ SP / Dynamically assign cell bitrates / Half D1 and Half Space for Extras options

When I click on the Photo Gallery button menu freezes and doesn't go to the corresponding chapter. Thankfully "Main" button works and i can click out of the freeze back to the extras menu.
Jdobbs, wmansir and myself reported this too. Basically support for still menus (still frame with buttons) is broken. When you demux the original M2V and rebuild using that however, it works.

jdobbs
12th May 2004, 10:51
Originally posted by RB
Jdobbs, wmansir and myself reported this too. Basically support for still menus (still frame with buttons) is broken. When you demux the original M2V and rebuild using that however, it works. Let me make sure I understand. If you demux the individual frames, copy them to the working directory\D2VAVS, and then run REBUILD again it works correctly?

Sir Didymus
12th May 2004, 11:19
Let me make sure I understand. If you demux the individual frames, copy them to the working directory\D2VAVS, and then run REBUILD again it works correctly?

Sorry from the intromission; it is just to answer YES!!!
At least it works perfectly in my experience.

see "Improper encoding of menus based on still images.":
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73050&perpage=20&pagenumber=55

for further details

RB
12th May 2004, 11:47
Let me make sure I understand. If you demux the individual frames, copy them to the working directory\D2VAVS, and then run REBUILD again it works correctly?
Yes.

jdobbs
12th May 2004, 12:53
Originally posted by RB
Yes. There was a known bug in CCE a long time ago when trying to use multi-pass encoding on single frames. I've even inserted a special statement in the creation of ECL files for 2.50 in which I use OPV for single frames. It could be related.

RobertR
12th May 2004, 12:55
I've had this suggestion before -- and the hard part for me is trying to figure out the benefit. If I'm rebuilding into a different hard drive, how much time could I really save? Right now on my system the rebuild only takes about 15-20 minutes on a single drive, so even if you could cut that in half (which isn't likely) you'd only save 10 minutes off of a job that takes hours. As for the encoding (which takes the lion's share of the time), my experience has been that it's pretty much processor bound rather than I/O, and it can already be on two drives (source and working) anyway. Thoughts?
Last successfull rebuild took almost an hour just because i started whole job on a slow hdd (it's removable hdd so i can take it with me and on that particular computer it's detected as UDMA33).
Using diff drives for encoding of course will not give any advantage (even if there would be any advantage one can already just choose WorkDir on some other hdd than the one with source files).
Apart for speed there is also issue of available free space (currently WorkDir needs around 9GB of free space). Of course one can shift files around to get that extra needed space on hdd containing WorkDir.

RB
12th May 2004, 13:04
There was a known bug in CCE a long time ago when trying to use multi-pass encoding on single frames. I've even inserted a special statement in the creation of ECL files for 2.50 in which I use OPV for single frames. It could be related.
I'm using CCE-SP 2.67.00.27 and although the reencoded still frame M2V is smaller than the original, it's fine. I can load it into DVD2AVI and save as BMP, for instance, it looks just fine.

jdobbs
13th May 2004, 01:56
Note to all: A new version (0.48) has been posted.

jarvis1781
13th May 2004, 02:12
I just wanted to say thanks!
This program is great and whatever you changed finally fixed the high CPU usage of Rebuilder.exe on my P4 HT system.
This program is not only useful as a backup tool, but it is fun to just mess around with trying different options on various movies.

jdobbs
13th May 2004, 02:26
@jarvis1781

Thanks. My goal is to make DVD-RB the "method of choice" for backups -- and the only way to do that is to keep adding capability without adding complexity (except for those who want to tinker). I hope you keep finding it useful.

nimbles
13th May 2004, 12:53
Hey jdobbs, had been busy with my own work, but just tried out 0.47, (last one i used was something like 0.33 :D- My you are working fast!!)

Anyway I just did what i thought would be a tricky back up of Old school uncut, which has a title set of stills. Anyway did it with Half D1 enabled on all but the movie and deleted scenes (manually set in the AVI synth settings as opposed to the enable Half D1 on extras elsewhere in the options) Quality on the half D1 was great- although the bit rates were still quite high (not sure if i did it correctly)

Everything looks great and congratulations on the recent improvements you made what was already a great program even better. Expect another donation soon ;) Although maybe not as much as last time, i'm still a student (hopefully that'll change soon)

One minor thing is I'm running CCE 2.67.027 using the latest ECLCCE and the CCE speeds never get past about 1.1-1.2, running an AMD 2200+, with 512mb of pc2700 333mhz ram, and a 7200 WD 8mb cache drive. I see all these P4 users quoting speeds of over 2.5 and am wondering is this a P4 optimisation issue or is there something inherently wrong in my set up- CCE cpu utilisation is almost contantly 90+% and the computer is essentially unusable during the encodging stage, (not really an issue as most encoding is done overnight and the job usually takes around 10hrs (5pass)), but the pc doubles up as a server for multimedia files and streaming over the network is almost impossible while the CCE stage is running.

This is something i can live with but just wanted to know if I could do anything differently to perhaps get thing working a bit faster?

nwg
13th May 2004, 13:42
nimbles

I have a simialar spec but, with a Athlon XP 2000 and it does a speed 1.5+ most of the time. Maybe Pentiums can just work that bit better.

Nice work on 0.47 jdobbs. :)

jdobbs
13th May 2004, 14:42
I'm using an Athlon XP 2400+ and I get right around 1.9-2.0. I think it pretty much just comes down to clock speed.

ClydeFrog
13th May 2004, 15:19
amazing job so far!

here are some suggestions:

- the possibility to keep parts with angles and just copy it 1:1 over like the menus. this way i can pre-compress the parts with angles together with the menus in dvdshrink, like i always do...

- automatic priority settings for the encoder. it is pretty annoying when you want to work on your pc during encoding and you manually set the priority to low every time a new part starts just to get rid of the lag... :)

nimbles
13th May 2004, 15:41
ClydeFrog there's an option in ECLCCE (if you are running CCE SP2.66 and above) to set the cce processing priority to either, default, low, normal or high)

If that helps

ClydeFrog
13th May 2004, 17:03
ahh excellent, that did the trick, thx a lot :)

another suggestion:

- minimize to tray - i like it clean ;)

nimbles
13th May 2004, 18:50
There's already an option in DVD-RB to run CCE minised too :D

Think its options->settup and the tick the box that says "Run encoder(s) minimised" surely you must have come across it? ;)

ClydeFrog
13th May 2004, 19:15
i'm well aware of that ;)

i mean the main rebuilder window...

Toranaga
16th May 2004, 00:56
I have been using DVD Rebuilder with succes before, but have reinstalled Windows XP recently. Now when DVD-RB gets to the decoding part, it starts CCE but CCE then freezes completely and nothing more happens. Please does anyone know what could be wrong?

rayvt
16th May 2004, 08:09
I had a problem with "The Last Samurai (WS)" at chapter 34, with Dvd-RB v 0.48. I'm encoding with CCEv2.66.01.07.

This chapter runs from 1:59:55 to 2:05:17, duration of 4:39:05, with 215864 frames.
When played on my DVD player, there is a squawk and jump at around 2:05. Comparing it with the original movie, it skips over about 3 minutes of the movie.
When played on my PC, I can watch the time codes as it plays. What the time gets to 2:01:46, it resets to 1:59:55. However, it seems to play ok on the PC.

jdobbs
16th May 2004, 11:39
Originally posted by rayvt
I had a problem with "The Last Samurai (WS)" at chapter 34, with Dvd-RB v 0.48. I'm encoding with CCEv2.66.01.07.

This chapter runs from 1:59:55 to 2:05:17, duration of 4:39:05, with 215864 frames.
When played on my DVD player, there is a squawk and jump at around 2:05. Comparing it with the original movie, it skips over about 3 minutes of the movie.
When played on my PC, I can watch the time codes as it plays. What the time gets to 2:01:46, it resets to 1:59:55. However, it seems to play ok on the PC. Can you let me know whether you are PAL or NTSC...

nwg
16th May 2004, 12:35
I have done the PAL version of The Last Samurai without any problems using CCE 2.50.

jdobbs
16th May 2004, 12:40
@rayvt

I just played back the NTSC/R1 backup I'd made of this disc and, while I had no problems with the playback, I did notice a strange clock anomaly on my player. At 02:03:36 the clock display suddenly jumps to 02:05:16. I'm going back to look at my original and see what may have caused this. It's possible it may be linked to the bug I fixed in 0.49 -- but that's far from conclusive.

rayvt
16th May 2004, 22:31
Sorry, it was NTSC. I forget that lots of people do PAL.
I'll try to do a quick check with 0.49, by cutting down the bitrate to real low.

rayvt
16th May 2004, 22:39
Just another thought, triggered when I watched a friend's movie converted with DVDCOPY123.
I had tried to copy the DVD-RB log file to a text file which would be burned to the DVD along with the movie. Couldn't do it sucessfully, because that goes against the DVD standards. Seems that you can only have VOBs and IFOs, and the naming rules are very strict.
But it sure would be nice to have that info on the DVD--or at least certain info, like DVD-RB version, the encoder used, compression rate, etc. Couldn't you make that either a frame at the very end of the movie, or maybe just an un-referenced VOB that obeys the naming rules? I think that avisynth can create text using the SUBTITLE command.

quantum
16th May 2004, 22:49
Don't put your text file in the video_ts directory, put it in the root. You can put anything you want in the root directory. I always put an MD5 file in the root with a checksum for all the files in video_ts.

rayvt
17th May 2004, 01:12
Nope, can't put it in the root. My DVD player detects that there is a non-DVD file there and goes into file play mode where it wants to play MP3s, MPEGs, etc.

rayvt
17th May 2004, 01:15
No joy with DVDRB 0.49 on The Last Samurai. It gets a time glitch in the same place. FWIW, I re-encoded at 1000kpbs, with CCE 2.66+.

I'll try again with 2.50 and report results.

Joergen
17th May 2004, 01:15
Nope, can't put it in the root. My DVD player detects that there is a non-DVD file there and goes into file play mode where it wants to play MP3s, MPEGs, etc.

Heh, how does that player handle all the discs that have lots of dvd-rom content in the root?

rayvt
17th May 2004, 04:47
No joy with CCE2.50, either. Same time glitch, same place in the movie. And 1000kbps sure is poor quality!

Toranaga
17th May 2004, 13:52
Originally posted by Toranaga
I have been using DVD Rebuilder with succes before, but have reinstalled Windows XP recently. Now when DVD-RB gets to the decoding part, it starts CCE but CCE then freezes completely and nothing more happens. Please does anyone know what could be wrong?

Sorry, I installed a newer version of CCE and it now works again :rolleyes:

lamster
18th May 2004, 01:17
Originally posted by nimbles
There's already an option in DVD-RB to run CCE minised too :D

Think its options->settup and the tick the box that says "Run encoder(s) minimised" surely you must have come across it? ;)

One thing that might be nice is the ability to dynamically toggle the "Run Encoder(s) Minimized" setting.

Reason: I don't want the encoder window popping up while I'm working on the machine, but when I'm going to be doing something else and want to get the transcoding done as quickly as possible, it might help to let Windows give the program the priority boost afforded to the foreground application.

rayvt
18th May 2004, 02:39
Tried it again with rejig. No problems with the glitch, that section plays fine.

wgw
18th May 2004, 04:11
Just a minor bug if you can call it that. Using 3 click mode, if I close Rebuilder after Encoding is complete, open rebuilder, click prepare, and then click No, the Encode and Rebuild buttons are greyed out until I close rebuilder and reopen it. If No is selected after clicking Prepare, I think Encode and Rebuild should still be available if they were previously valid options.

biggy7
18th May 2004, 09:22
heres my 2p.

i just did Finding Nemo R2 Pal with DVD-RB 0.49.

used dvd stripper to strip all the extras, but kept the menus, 5.1DD and DTS, then used dvd-rb with VBR_Bias set at 20 and Quality_prec set at 16 with 9 passes, prepared and said that the avg bitrate was 3968 kbs, that ok?

left it over night and left with a nice 4.30Gb Video_ts folder,

quality is superb!

tf
18th May 2004, 09:31
Did you use DVD-RB to backup the actual movie Finding Nemo? With all angles and seamless branching included? Or did you strip a certain one out beforehand? If not, I am curious to how you got it working.

Did you check that the actual output is 100% ok, ie. watched the movie all the way through?

-tf

wmansir
18th May 2004, 14:52
Nemo uses duplicate VOBids for seamless branching, not angles (If I recall correctly). What's the difference?

Duplicate VOBid discs have one large track (PGC) that contains everything in the movie. In this case it is the movie + some extra footage for the visual commentary. When you play the visual commentary this track is played. It then has a second PGC for the movie itself, which uses select portions (VOBids) from the master track.

I think I read a comment that another user successfully backed up a duplicate VOBid disc (I think it was Pirates of the Carribean), but it would be nice to verify it.

lamster
18th May 2004, 16:09
Originally posted by wmansir
I think I read a comment that another user successfully backed up a duplicate VOBid disc (I think it was Pirates of the Carribean), but it would be nice to verify it.

I've backed it up; haven't tested everything. Is there anything in particular to look for?

lamster
18th May 2004, 16:43
Hi,

A couple of suggestions, for after angles/ILVU is complete and you're looking for something else to add. :)

It would be nice if the Stop/Pause button was available in 1-click mode also.

It would be nice if the working path could be set to a relative path, which was interpreted as relative to the source path. So if my working path were ..\Rebuilt, and my source path were e:\DVD_Videos\MOVIE_TITLE\VIDEO_TS, then you would use as the working path e:\DVD_Videos\MOVIE_TITLE\Rebuilt (but leave Working=..\Rebuilt in the .INI file, so I wouldn't have to update it for the next movie).

Thanks for the program!

wmansir
18th May 2004, 18:40
Originally posted by lamster
I've backed it up; haven't tested everything. Is there anything in particular to look for?

The Knightly+Davenport and Bruckheimer commentaries use duplicate VOBids from the movie (they are 'select scene" only). They also have a 'extra' audio track that isn't present in the main movie PGC. DVD Decrypter and DIF4U missed it at first (They may have been updated to demux it), so it would be interesting to see if DVD-RB caught it.

Trahald
18th May 2004, 22:16
The Knightly+Davenport and Bruckheimer commentaries use duplicate VOBids from the movie (they are 'select scene" only). They also have a 'extra' audio track that isn't present in the main movie PGC. DVD Decrypter and DIF4U missed it at first (They may have been updated to demux it), so it would be interesting to see if DVD-RB caught it.

well.. dif4u sees it.. the problem is dvddecrypter doesnt. you have to do such movies with vobid demux with dif4u and then dvddecrypter will see it. the problem is the audio is listed in the VTSI_MAT but not in the VTS_PGCITI for the main movie. in future versions of dif4u it will automatically turn on vobid demux when this condition exists. lightning_uk (understandbly) doesnt want to demux the audio track if the pgciti doesnt list it since there is a chance it may not be there. since rebuilder doesnt work by pgc it should catch the audio.

jdobbs
18th May 2004, 23:39
Originally posted by wgw
Just a minor bug if you can call it that. Using 3 click mode, if I close Rebuilder after Encoding is complete, open rebuilder, click prepare, and then click No, the Encode and Rebuild buttons are greyed out until I close rebuilder and reopen it. If No is selected after clicking Prepare, I think Encode and Rebuild should still be available if they were previously valid options. I'm lost on this. If you Click "Prepare" there is no "No" to answer except when confronted with a source that is already small enough to fit on a DVD... The encode and rebuild are grayed out because you have started a new PREPARE session and your original files are no longer present nor valid...

lamster
18th May 2004, 23:54
I'm lost on this. If you Click "Prepare" there is no "No" to answer except when confronted with a source that is already small enough to fit on a DVD...

Oooh - one I can answer! :)

WARNING

All contents of the working folder will be erased. Continue?

Yes No

jdobbs
18th May 2004, 23:58
Ahh... Gotcha... thanks (to you and wgw). I'll fix this for 0.50.

unplugged
20th May 2004, 01:23
Can you add some check to prevent that a dummy audio track starts as default?
(as it's the default in original...)

Joergen
20th May 2004, 01:49
unplugged: That has been discussed. It would involve switching the audio track numbers and that might cause more trouble than its worth (then your audio menu would work wrong). I wish there was a way to "clone" the ID for both tracks without cloning the actual data or switching locations.

Perhaps a warning that the default track will be removed would help.

jdobbs
20th May 2004, 03:42
unplugged: That has been discussed. It would involve switching the audio track numbers and that might cause more trouble than its worth (then your audio menu would work wrong). I wish there was a way to "clone" the ID for both tracks without cloning the actual data or switching locations.

Perhaps a warning that the default track will be removed would help. What I'd have to do is just change the ID as I rewrite it. How about this: If you remove 0x80, I will let you decide which remaining track is retagged as 0x80? Of course I'd have to deal with the eventual bug report from someone that "It says English but plays xxxx."

wmansir
20th May 2004, 05:02
Jdobbs, is there any down side to "0"ing out the stream status of removed tracks in the .ifo? On my standalone, and in PowerDVD/WinDVD, it just skips to the next available track. I haven't tried it with the default track yet, but I will be able to tomorrow.

lamster
20th May 2004, 07:45

OK, just checked, and all the commentaries were fine.

unplugged
20th May 2004, 08:31
Of course I'd have to deal with the eventual bug report from someone that "It says English but plays xxxx."
If I have understood what you mean this already happened to me. (ver. 0.47), with a 3 audio stream movie, all english audio streams and the 1st unmarked.

Joergen
20th May 2004, 15:13
What I'd have to do is just change the ID as I rewrite it. How about this: If you remove 0x80, I will let you decide which remaining track is retagged as 0x80? Of course I'd have to deal with the eventual bug report from someone that "It says English but plays xxxx."

Often the DTS track is #1 track, but I guess it wouldnt hurt in that case either.

But cloning the ID's like that would give people the option to have the 2.0 track as default instead of the 5.1 if they want to save space and dont have a 5.1 setup.

wmansir
20th May 2004, 22:30
Originally posted by lamster
OK, just checked, and all the commentaries were fine.
I just did this disc myself and everything seems to work fine (on my software players). At first I thought there was a problem with the 'Play All' feature of the select commentaries, but it turns out DVD Remake was the cause (the source files also had the same problem). I used titleset blanker and MenuEdit instead (no way I was keeping all those disney trailers) and it works perfectly.

nimbles
22nd May 2004, 19:28
ummm... just a quick question regarding the updated mpeg2dec3dg.dll and decomb.dll that have been released in the decodefix1.3.0 and decomb5.2.1 respectively over the last week or so

Is it ok to update the aforementioned dll files into the avi synth pugin folder (will rb still work ok?)

wmansir
23rd May 2004, 12:17
Originally posted by nimbles
ummm... just a quick question regarding the updated mpeg2dec3dg.dll and decomb.dll that have been released in the decodefix1.3.0 and decomb5.2.1 respectively over the last week or so

Is it ok to update the aforementioned dll files into the avi synth pugin folder (will rb still work ok?)

MPEG2Dec3dg.dll, no. Stick with 1.0 or 1.1.0. I added a warning in the install/setup guide last week.

Decomb, should work as long as the FieldDeinterlace command hasn't changed. Which it has not, AFAIK.

Joergen
23rd May 2004, 23:24
ot: 10000+ DL's on v0.49. Congratulations jdobbs your tool is soon second to none!

jdobbs
23rd May 2004, 23:59
ot: 10000+ DL's on v0.49. Congratulations jdobbs your tool is soon second to none! Wow. I never noticed that. Cool.

Joergen
24th May 2004, 03:52
Wow 0.50 already! :cool:

jdobbs: About the 80% bitrate reduction for interlaced, does this apply to PAL aswell? Did the bitrate stutter happen with PAL?

I can see how the NTSC 23.9 out of 29.976 could need a 80% reduction but surely PAL 25/25 doesnt?

Thanks.

rayvt
26th May 2004, 03:36
Looks like 0.50 fixes the time glitch at 2:01:46 of this movie. Did you make a change to fix this, or did it just go away on its own? I didn't see anything in the changelog about it.

BTW, 0.49 was ok if I used rejig instead of CCE as the encoder.

jdobbs
26th May 2004, 10:30
Wow 0.50 already! :cool:

jdobbs: About the 80% bitrate reduction for interlaced, does this apply to PAL aswell? Did the bitrate stutter happen with PAL?

I can see how the NTSC 23.9 out of 29.976 could need a 80% reduction but surely PAL 25/25 doesnt?

Thanks. Yes it does, and you're right, it shouldn't. I'll change that for 0.51.

Joergen
26th May 2004, 15:37
Ok, thanks :)

Rombaldi
26th May 2004, 18:29
@jdobbs

Kudos on where you've taken this tool in such a short time. Incredible.. I've been away for a while (0.37 was the last ver I
had tried).

Two requests (one old, one new).

1) (and I addressed this before, but you may have gotten busy) On the 4:3 LBX > 16:9 conversion, mentioned the need for an 'advanced' setting on tweaking the er.. 'window'. I've seen some LBX discs that may shift the actual LBX window as much as 15 pixels either direction. At the least it would be nice to be able to put in a +/- or up/down shift for the LBX window (it would REALLY be nice for a visual adjustment, ie. grab a frame from the VTS and display the window and up/down it for fine tuning... but that could get a little hairy... hmmm external tuning tool??). On a per VTS basis.

2) (something new) Would it be possible to an advanced AviSynth 'tweaking block'?? Basically just an interface to insert user defined AviSynth commands into each generated AVS file for whatever 'tweaking' the user wants. Example: I've gotten some discs that were done with a really nasty color balance on the transfers, that look fairly decent when you asjust the colors on playback, but would be nice to do the necessary color/contrast/brightness adjustments ONCE (when re-encoding). This would have to be an 'uber-advanced' setting, a 'Don't cry to me if it messes up the world, it's your problem not mine' setting...

jdobbs
26th May 2004, 19:05
@Rombaldi

It may be a while for #1.. but I've been thinking about doing #2..

DDogg
26th May 2004, 19:18
Before OPV, I was thinking allowing the insertion of an import line after the mpeg2source line was a simple first stab at it. You would have needed two import statements, one for progressive and one for interlaced.

Import("MyProgressiveFilters.avs") Inserted in all progressive AVSs
Import ("MyInterlacedFilters.avs") Inserted in all interlaced AVSs

Since OPV, it would be mandatory to include any filters in the sample runs as the contents will effect the compression and resulting Q-Value, so that will not work anymore - I fear it will get a bit more complicated for you.

lexsteele
27th May 2004, 00:53
I'm a little new to this whole expert encoding thing and was soooo happy when I stumbled accross this great program. Thanks for making all these wonderful, but hard-to-use, encoding programs functional for a user like myself.

Anyway, I was just reading the revisions for the new version 0.50b and I was curious to know a little bit more about this One-pass VBR option. It intrigued me because I only have a 900mhz PC so encoding time for me is slooooowww. Anyway, the revision mentioned that this one-pass VBR will reduce encoding time considerably, something that got me reall excited. I currently use CCE SP and have my CCE Customized Settings set as follows in Rebiuilder:

VBR_Bias: 10 VBR_PAsses: 3 Quality_Prec: 24

I was wondering if I were to enable the one-pass VBR option in the new Rebuilder, does this mean that CCE will perform only one pass (with almost equal quality) as opposed to the 3 (which if I understand correclty is really 2?) that I have in entered in my settings?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

DDogg
27th May 2004, 01:16
I was wondering if I were to enable the one-pass VBR option in the new Rebuilder, does this mean that CCE will perform only one pass (with almost equal quality) as opposed to the 3 (which if I understand correclty is really 2?) that I have in entered in my settings? Yes, it will only work with SP versions of CCE and will use that versions special OnePassVbr mode which is a slightly different method than multipass vbr as you have been using. On a slower machine, and when the sizing becomes accurate and I'm sure it will, this OPV mode may be very helpful for you.

Joergen
30th May 2004, 19:40
New version 0.51! Great new features in there jdobbs, thanks!

d62ks821
31st May 2004, 13:53
With the ripped source and working directory on the same physical harddisk, the DVD Rebuilder progress is at the mercy of harddisk seek/access time. It is easy to solve this problem for steps I and II by placing the ripped source and the working directory on different physical harddisks.

HOWEVER, there is presently no solution for step III. I would like to be able to specify a separate path (on a different physical hd) for output of the VIDEO_TS directory. By my estimatation, this would reduce the time required for step III by an order of magnitude.

jhmac
31st May 2004, 13:56
Originally posted by d62ks821
I would like to be able to specify a separate path (on a different physical hd) for output of the VIDEO_TS directory. By my estimatation, this would reduce the time required for step III by an order of magnitude.

I 2nd this request...

jdobbs
31st May 2004, 14:00
With the ripped source and working directory on the same physical harddisk, the DVD Rebuilder progress is at the mercy of harddisk seek/access time. It is easy to solve this problem for steps I and II by placing the ripped source and the working directory on different physical harddisks.

HOWEVER, there is presently no solution for step III. I would like to be able to specify a separate path (on a different physical hd) for output of the VIDEO_TS directory. By my estimatation, this would reduce the time required for step III by an order of magnitude. I agree you will save time, but nothing significant.

Step three takes about 15 minutes. Let's take a leap of faith and say you can cut that time in half... Then you'd be taking a 3 hrs and 30 minute encode and make it 3 hrs and 23 minutes.

The only place to make a significant time improvement in the encode is in the encoding phase -- and that part is CPU bound, not I/O bound.

d62ks821
31st May 2004, 15:19
I understand your point about overall time. Nonetheless, here is my arguement in favor of a separate path for VIDEO_TS: ...On my computer a recent phase III took 30 minutes, where as I can copy a 4G file HD-->HD in about 7 minutes. So, I suspect phase III could be cut to 7 mins. ...There is also the additional concern of thrashing the HD unneccissarily, which happens when you copy large files from/to the same HD.

d62ks821
31st May 2004, 20:23
.vaf file generation not needed for OPV encoding. I manually set vaf_out=0 in REBUILDER.ECL prior to encode and appear to get some performance boost. ...it's probably worth dvd-rb doing this automatically.

jdobbs
31st May 2004, 21:27
.vaf file generation not needed for OPV encoding. I manually set vaf_out=0 in REBUILDER.ECL prior to encode and appear to get some performance boost. ...it's probably worth dvd-rb doing this automatically. If you do that, though, and then decide to perform another pass (e.g. because the output was oversized) you cannot.

d62ks821
31st May 2004, 22:33
If you do that, though, and then decide to perform another pass (e.g. because the output was oversized) you cannot.

Ok, you are correct here, ...i would save having to generate a .vaf again if I choose to re-encode with multipass VBR. ..but planning for success :), i dont need it.

Although, you seem to be saying that I could change encode mode to something other than OPV, in DVD-RB and re-encode. ...say OPV is too big, so switch to VBR N pass and simply press the encode button again. ...is this what you are indicating? ...and will it work?

...or perhaps another alternative would be to reencode with q-factor incremented on largest asset. (..by manually editing the .ecl file). Might nice to have an "Opps too big" option which would adjust q-factor and auto restart an encode.

jdobbs
1st June 2004, 03:19
Ok, you are correct here, ...i would save having to generate a .vaf again if I choose to re-encode with multipass VBR. ..but planning for success :), i dont need it.

Although, you seem to be saying that I could change encode mode to something other than OPV, in DVD-RB and re-encode. ...say OPV is too big, so switch to VBR N pass and simply press the encode button again. ...is this what you are indicating? ...and will it work?

...or perhaps another alternative would be to reencode with q-factor incremented on largest asset. (..by manually editing the .ecl file). Might nice to have an "Opps too big" option which would adjust q-factor and auto restart an encode. Yes. You'd have to change one parameter in the ECL. My plan is for that to happen automatically at some point (in the event output was oversized).

begu
1st June 2004, 05:20
About the discussion of optional different outputdirectory for phase III.
Well, it might save couple of minutes, but the more important thing for me is the random access of hard disc. I would be happy to set the output to different HD, because it would make less mechanical stress to hard disc. It wouldn't be only not the time saving for me. :)

But this is only a minor request, I believe that jdobbs does great job, here, and has his own priorities for programming. :)

jdobbs
1st June 2004, 14:07
Mechanical stress on the hard drive? ;) I'm an engineer...

Harm
1st June 2004, 15:26
Maybe already asked for...........

I'd like the rebuilder display show me what kind of audio track it is besides only the language (e.g. DC)

I'd like rebuilder to tell me approximately the size of the audio tracks

I'd like rebuilder to give me an estimate for the compressionpercentage before I run the prepare phase (if that's possible - I've seen it for example with DVDshrink)

I'd like rebuilder to have a 2 step CCE process: step 1 prepare - step 2 encode + rebuild; this being more logical because the prepare phase gives you the compressionpercentage and if you are not happy with that you can rerun it with some audio tracks deselected leaving the encode and rebuild to be executed overnight.....

I'd like rebuilder to give me the possibility to replace an entire subtitle (I know this is already asked for but I still include it here to be complete........ ;) )

I think rebuilder is a great tool! Hurray for jdobbs! :cool:

Joergen
1st June 2004, 16:39
Mechanical stress on the hard drive? ;) I'm an engineer...

Buy samsung, they still have 3 year guarantee when others (should be in quarantine) have only 12 months. I've lost 3 maxtors and 2 IBM's and I will never buy from them again. WD seems ok too.

jdobbs
1st June 2004, 17:47
Interesting. I buy whatever is on sale.... I've never had one go bad, even though I run them 24hrs a day, 7 days a week... in my environment I usually get rid of them when they get too small... (or more accurately the demand gets too large).

Joergen
1st June 2004, 18:23
You've been lucky.. or like you said they get out of the cycle. IBM has gotten very unpopular due to crappy products, as many people would say from experience.

This is evident in the shortening of guarantees, Maxtor and IBM used to have 24 or 36 months but now have 12, from which one can conlude their lifetime expectancy has equally diminished and they are getting losses from replacements.

I usually keep my HD's for years, moving them to other PC's where they serve files till they drop (and they will). On the other hand, the 1, 2, 4 and 8GB models from any maker havent failed to date. They're cutting corners in HD hadrware these days I suppose.

Then again HD space is so cheap it doesnt matter, if only the data stored on them was equally uninportant, and the manhours wasted reinstalling the system. Backup, backup, backup!

goshawks
1st June 2004, 22:24
Last edited by jdobbs on 28th March 2004 at 12:45

jdobbs
1st June 2004, 22:26
Originally posted by goshawks
Last edited by jdobbs on 28th March 2004 at 12:45 :confused: What am I missing in this statement?

goshawks
1st June 2004, 22:35
In my above post, it would be nice to have a periodic update/repost of your 'Installation and Usage Instructions' to be certain of the most recent versions of the associated programs (AVISYNTH, DVD2AVI/MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL, CCE, etc.) that are proven to work with your most-recent release of DVD Rebuilder. If no changes, you could simply cut/paste the older Instructions into these later pages. This would help newbie fears. Thanks.

jdobbs
1st June 2004, 22:39
I think wmansir keep this (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74308) thread pretty much up-to-date.

goshawks
1st June 2004, 22:56
"I think wmansir keeps 'this' thread pretty much up-to-date."

Thanks, I was not aware of that thread. I will bookmark it. (You might want to insert a reference to that thread in your 28th March 2004 03:36 'Installations' post, to avoid other folks also questioning updates to it.) I am looking forward to giving your program a workout, when time allows.

rayvt
2nd June 2004, 02:26
"I buy whatever is on sale..."
Me, too. As long as it's a major name--WD, MAxtor, Seagate.

" I've never had one go bad..."
I have. In fact, Thursday my wife's IBM drive started imitating a sewing machine. And we lost everything on it."

"... even though I run them 24hrs a day, 7 days a week"
Next thing, you'll tell us that your car engine works great even though you change the oil every 2000 miles.
Continual power-on is the *best* and least-stressful way to run a disk. Turning off and on is much much harder on it.

jdobbs
2nd June 2004, 03:48
Yep --- I agree.

stargazer
5th June 2004, 00:16
I don't know if this was already discused, and I appologize if it was. It's hard to thoroughly read few thousands of posts...

As I understand, .d2v file describes/serves whole video record of a movie. Then through Avisynth, video is cut to cell ids or some other segments (via trim function). Every cell ID is separately encoded, where "dynamically assign cell bitrates" option should assure correct bitrate distribution through the movie.

It seems to me, as long as number of segments is different from infinite (hope this is a right definition, I don't know the word opposite to infinite :o ), the bitrate distribution will never be as good as it would be if we encoded the whole movie without cutting.

So my question would be: is it possible to reencode whole movie, and cut it to cell IDs (or whatever segments are) afterwards?

P.S. Many thanks to jdobbs for making a dream come true (when high quality DVD backups are concerned, ofcourse ;)) As soon as my country will be "enabled" on PayPal, I will certainly make a donation.

:thanks: and excuse me for my bad english ;)

Joergen
5th June 2004, 00:35
Thursday my wife's IBM drive started imitating a sewing machine. And we lost everything on it.
Another happy IBM customer I see. :o

HanSolo00
5th June 2004, 07:30
Buy samsung, they still have 3 year guarantee when others (should be in quarantine) have only 12 months. I've lost 3 maxtors and 2 IBM's and I will never buy from them again. WD seems ok too.

You never know though. There was one year I bought around 30 new Western Digital hard drives at the same date... and every single last one failed in the span of 2 weeks to 3 months (controller failure.) With this staggering failure rate the most I was able to dig out of WD warantee department was 'um well we had a problem...' In other words they had a serious manufacturing defect with that run of drives. These days they don't seem to last as long as the old ones--they are cheap and they perform like it. However, my expensive SCSI drive has outlasted pretty much all my IDE drives.

PINOBIRD
5th June 2004, 16:28
My second 120gb maxtor (this year) is clicking when storing data on it.
Is he going to die soon ?:scared:

onesoul
5th June 2004, 17:42
Hi, could you consider implementing two field editor? One would be for progressive (like the one existing now) and other for interlaced sources which means a clip that would require converttotyuy2(interlaced=true) unless it was specified interlaced off at a specific vts in the menu.

It would be nice since interlaced frames should be treated differently.

Btw, I have found a good filter chain for clean sources with almost none detail damage, (preserving more detail than deen which to my eyes seems to darken certain scene areas like flaming red), and removing noticeably some noise.
undot()
DctFilter(1,1,1,1,1,1,.5,0)
VagueDenoiser(threshold=0.8,method=1,nsteps=7,chroma=true)
edit: For Interlaced sources should be:
separatefields()
e=undot().selecteven().DctFilter(1,1,1,1,1,1,.5,0)
o=undot().selectodd().DctFilter(1,1,1,1,1,1,.5,0)
interleave(e,o)
weave()
VagueDenoiser(threshold=0.8,method=1,nsteps=7,chroma=true,interlaced=true)

nwg
5th June 2004, 18:29
Nice improvements with v51C. :)

My second 120gb maxtor (this year) is clicking when storing data on it.

I would say yes. I have the same problem and it causes the system to freeze and I have restart. It sometimes does it again within minutes.

The HDD is 7 years old though and used everyday.

Joergen
5th June 2004, 20:45
Originally posted by HanSolo00
You never know though.

Thats why I said "seem ok" :D My bro had a 80GB WD drive that started giving bad sectors after 3 months of use. So far from personal experience, Samsung is the only manufacturer that hasnt failed me yet.

The_Flash
5th June 2004, 22:25
Any chance we could get a "Make New Folder" option after clicking the button to specify the Working Path? Would save me from a few sighs this week. Thanks.

Patjen
6th June 2004, 01:09
I agree you will save time, but nothing significant.

Step three takes about 15 minutes. Let's take a leap of faith and say you can cut that time in half... Then you'd be taking a 3 hrs and 30 minute encode and make it 3 hrs and 23 minutes.

The only place to make a significant time improvement in the encode is in the encoding phase -- and that part is CPU bound, not I/O bound.

to be precise : 7 min for the full 4.32Gb Video_ts folder :-))

Don't know if somebody suggested it already but is it possible to add a log file that would show how long the entire encoding took and at what average bitrate with CCE ? Kinda like the dvd2svcd.log ?
I let dvdrebuilder shut down my pc when its done (encoding while I sleep, but I find it always interesting to checks the speeds and bitrates afterwards, also handy for benchmarking)

jdobbs
6th June 2004, 02:01
It's been suggested and is on the "wish list" -- I'll add it in soon.

The eDealer
6th June 2004, 22:08
Hi jdobbs,
first of all: it's a great program and I hope you will keep on driving it further so successfully, as up to now. :)

I have two small suggestions which doesn't seems to be extensive:
- If the selected main language (e.g. german) is not available in a stream (e.g. extras), always the only available one (e.g. english) should be chosen.
- An additional (root-)subdirectory for the rebuilded video_ts and audio_ts directory, so you can automatic produce an image.

Thanks in advanced.

Joergen
7th June 2004, 00:40
I noticed something that could do with improvement:

-I encoded a 3.45GB original disc with convert lb->16:9 and the output was only 3.47GB aswell. Couldnt/shouldnt DVD-RB fill the disc to its usual target sectors in this scenario?

I used CCE 2.66 3pass, disable interlaced, convert to 16:9, and dynamic bitrate.

EDIT: I think the dynamic bitrate option is causing it. The reported average bitrate is 1000 higher than the "max bitrate" :o I'm encoding now without dynamic bitrate and the average is 5.600 in the .vaf pass which is what it should be to fill the disc.

sweetness
9th June 2004, 16:35
I did a sreach but didn't find anything on this, so can i suggest a main movie option. I know jdobbs wants DVD-RB to be a "one-click" 1:1 backup tool and not an editing one.
My arguement is that sometimes people just want the main movie and don't care for the extras or menus. Plus i can always put the original in to watch that stuff(every rare).
I also know there are work arounds on how to do this but it takes time(20 to 30 min)and harddrive space to set everything up. i would like to just que up the folder and go to work and come home to find everything done. Just my suggestion no big deal if it's not in the plans. thanks

PS.great work too. if it wasn't for DVD-RB i might have never went down the CCE path.

nwg
9th June 2004, 16:41
sweetness wrote,
My arguement is that sometimes people just want the main movie and don't care for the extras or menus

You can use DVD2DVDR with CCE. This only does the movie.

http://www.davis28.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

TK8472
17th June 2004, 03:45
When the main movie is smaller than DVD5, is it possible to leave the movie untouched and only DVD-RB the extras?

wmansir
17th June 2004, 07:20
Originally posted by TK8472
When the main movie is smaller than DVD5, is it possible to leave the movie untouched and only DVD-RB the extras?

You can do that with a third party tool called RB-Keeper. Check out the overview sticky for a link to the project thread. I haven't used it myself, but that is the tool's purpose (to keep original parts of the disc).

TK8472
18th June 2004, 00:20
You can do that with a third party tool called RB-Keeper. Check out the overview sticky for a link to the project thread. I haven't used it myself, but that is the tool's purpose (to keep original parts of the disc).

I'll check it out, thanks.

d62ks821
18th June 2004, 20:04
Yes. You'd have to change one parameter in the ECL. My plan is for that to happen automatically at some point (in the event output was oversized).

I presume you mean changing vmode=0 to vmode=2. I've done this and it works. So, first pass OPV is oversized, so then I do 3 passes VBR, after which the size is correct.

However, What I really like is to redo with OPV, as it will still be much faster than n-pass VBR. We now have a 100% sample from the over/undersized 1st OPV, so should be able to automatically adjust q-factor on all, and hit size dead on for 2nd OPV attempt. It maybe than only some of the assests missed their target, so only a subset would need to be reprocessed, resulting in even more time reduction.

jdobbs
18th June 2004, 22:55
I presume you mean changing vmode=0 to vmode=2. I've done this and it works. So, first pass OPV is oversized, so then I do 3 passes VBR, after which the size is correct.

However, What I really like is to redo with OPV, as it will still be much faster than n-pass VBR. We now have a 100% sample from the over/undersized 1st OPV, so should be able to automatically adjust q-factor on all, and hit size dead on for 2nd OPV attempt. It maybe than only some of the assests missed their target, so only a subset would need to be reprocessed, resulting in even more time reduction. Since a .VAF was generated in the OPV pass, all you have to do is do a single pass VBR. The VAF will already document the distribution of bits based on the OPV -- which will be modified only slightly (and proportionally) to meet the specified bitrate.

d62ks821
19th June 2004, 06:55
Since a .VAF was generated in the OPV pass, all you have to do is do a single pass VBR. The VAF will already document the distribution of bits based on the OPV -- which will be modified only slightly (and proportionally) to meet the specified bitrate.
Maybe I'll expose my ignorance here, but if this is so, why would I ever want to do a n-pass VBR when I can do a OPV, followed by a 1-pass VBR (if needed)? Am I missing something here?

tylo
19th June 2004, 08:02
Maybe I'll expose my ignorance here, but if this is so, why would I ever want to do a n-pass VBR when I can do a OPV, followed by a 1-pass VBRYou will want an n-pass VBR encode if you don't know which Q to use for the initial OPV pass (the analyze phase can do that). To achieve superior quality, the OPV pass must produce a size close to the target size, then the following 1-pass VBR should only fine-tune the size to meet the target size precisely.

- If Q is below about 40, the following 1-pass VBR will not improve quality noticable when it only increase the size 1-3%. But purists prefer to fill their media to the brim anyway.

- If Q is above about 40, the 1-pass VBR may improve quality, even if the OPV was exactly on target. Naturally, it is also required if the OPV pass produced an oversized file.

d62ks821
19th June 2004, 19:12
Originally posted by tylo
If Q is below about 40, the following 1-pass VBR will not improve quality noticable when it only increase the size 1-3%. But purists prefer to fill their media to the brim anyway.
If i were under 1-3%, I'd let it go, but over? ...need the additional VBR pass. ...what if it's more like 10-15% under/oversized? is a single additional VBR pass sufficient?

jdobbs
19th June 2004, 19:34
If i were under 1-3%, I'd let it go, but over? ...need the additional VBR pass. ...what if it's more like 10-15% under/oversized? is a single additional VBR pass sufficient? Yes. You only have to regenerate the .VAF for extreme bitrate changes. The CCE manual recommends you regenerate the .VAF when the bitrate is either cut in half or doubled... that's a big change.

Faust2
22nd June 2004, 18:09
So, after hanging around for a while here, i finally got my account to work, just to say at first a big Thanks to jdobbs for all great work he is willing to share with us (um, not so much the work but the results :) )

the best cherry pie around here!!!

I discovered rebuilder at something like 0.22, and since then it improved on a regular basis, although it worked (for me) basically right from the beginning. Before I used GKnot with Divx Pro to backup my DVDs, and it took something like 30 hours with my Pentium 2.5, and then I happend to have a DVD-Burner, without really knowing anything about the Big3, CCE, Authoring, Scenarist or whatever...

Then I got really frustrated.

Then I stumbled across RB and now everthing's "fine&dandy"...

:D :D :D

So, having said this, i can hopefully make my order ;) ?

In my opinion, there are only a few little drawbacks left with dvd-rb, which are
-multiangles, seamless branching and interleaving (i have no idea, up to wich degree these three are related/the same)
-Encoding Menus. This is (for me) somehow important, since here in Europe i have the feeling, there is sometimes much space wasted in these. In "To Catch a Thief", f.e. there is a half gig-menu in god only knows what languages... Nevertheless the backup looks great.
-Downcoding sound. This maybe a particular thing which nobody but me might use, but sometimes I find it funny to watch a film again f.e. in italian or french... It would be great to have the opportunity to downcode the sound from Dolby 5.1 to Dolby 2 (192 kbits/s), if the film doesn't have big sound effects and/or you don't have a home cinema system.

but then again, this is only my personal "whish-list", so Jdobbs please don't bother too much (as im pretty sure you will not... :D )

Sectie.B
22nd June 2004, 19:38
jdobbs

A small request (I think...): how about outputting the result as an ISO file?
ATM I'm using ImgTool Classic to create an ISO-file and let it burn with DVD Decrypter. It would be nice if I could skip that one step ("I'm lazy as a man can be" from David Byrne is a song about me, according to my grilfriend ;))

harpseal
30th June 2004, 13:25
Originally posted by The_Flash
Any chance we could get a "Make New Folder" option after clicking the button to specify the Working Path? Would save me from a few sighs this week. Thanks.

My suggestion may or may not relate diretly to this. I would love it if in any of the file/folder path selection boxes would allow typing/editing directly in the input box, instead of only being able to use the browse button. Ideally this would allow the creation of a new folder where applicable (see above), and I guess also verify that the folder actually exist and what is needed there is actually there i.e. a video_ts etc.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a bug or needs to be added as a feature, but if I select Deinterlace with DECOMB and/or MPEG2Source ("source",idct=7) in the advanced features, then save the project and re-open it, the settings don'e seem to save. Seeing as the encoder selection and setup file paths are saved to individual projects it would seem as this should too. But also if I turn them on in one project then open another project, sometimes it stays on, sometimes it doesn't even though they all were saved with them on.

Sorry to be long winded, just being my normal annoyingly over-detailed self.

harpseal

lamster
30th June 2004, 15:49
Originally posted by harpseal
I would love it if in any of the file/folder path selection boxes would allow typing/editing directly in the input box, instead of only being able to use the browse button.

Me too; I usually just edit the rebuilder.ini file before starting DVD Rebuilder, so that I can just paste in the correct paths rather than having to navigate to them.

jdobbs
1st July 2004, 01:02
Originally posted by Sectie.B
jdobbs

A small request (I think...): how about outputting the result as an ISO file?
ATM I'm using ImgTool Classic to create an ISO-file and let it burn with DVD Decrypter. It would be nice if I could skip that one step ("I'm lazy as a man can be" from David Byrne is a song about me, according to my grilfriend ;)) Outputting to an ISO seems like a lot of work to me... and I'm lazy too. ;)

ookzDVD
1st July 2004, 01:57
@jdobbs,

DVDShrink .iso output routine is awesome :)

jdobbs
1st July 2004, 02:11
Originally posted by ookzDVD
@jdobbs,

DVDShrink .iso output routine is awesome :) Uhhh... ok. Not sure how that helps me...

Joergen
1st July 2004, 02:24
I think dvddecrypter should start learning how to burn a VIDEO_TS dir instead of DVD-RB learning how to write an .ISO for another tool.

Use Nero to burn the files, works every time and even includes lots of validation routines that other tools dont have.

btw one version of dvdshrink output broken .iso's and some fruitcakes say the latest/last version doesnt work at all ;)

The eDealer
1st July 2004, 06:37
@Joergen
I'm with you, ISO is not the problem.

I think it's more important that jdobbs keeps on focusing on the "optimization".
The topics
- encoding menus
- encoding sound
- handling of multiangle/seamless branching and
- further Encoder (for example mencoder)
would be more reasonable/interesting for me.

But right now it's a great Tool. :)

harpseal
1st July 2004, 09:24
In the batch projects listing window, you can't see the project filename if the path is longer than the window. The DVD-RB app window gives me a resize pointer but doesn't actually let me resize it any wider. Just a minor (very) inconvenience in a awesome application.

FreQi
1st July 2004, 15:00
I think dvddecrypter should start learning how to burn a VIDEO_TS dir instead of DVD-RB learning how to write an .ISO for another tool.

ImgTool Burn (http://www.coujo.de/) does the trick for me. It uses Nero in fact but I find it incredibly convienent to just select the directory DVD-RB put the VIDEO_TS in and click "Burn".

I'd like to see DVD-RB also copy ove the JACKET_P and other miscelaneous files from the DVD like autorun.inf's and whatever. There has only been one disc i've done so far that I could not copy all the 'other' things due to lack of space, so maybe DVD-RB could take into account these DVDRom extras when calculating a target size.

But like I said, this is rarely an issue really. I just have to remember to copy the files, remove the "Read Only" attribute and hope it fits on the disc.

Solo
5th July 2004, 11:58
I have just start using DVD Rebuilder two weeks ago after finally getting my first DVD burner. Thanks for the program. It is great!

I also had a request, but I see it was mentioned and answered above. That is for the option of having output to ISO file. When I do shrink a movie with DVD-RB and I try burn it with Nero then I get a DVD reallocation error. Img Tool gives same error. If I ignore the error then the resulting DVD does play fine on my DVD player though.

d62ks821
5th July 2004, 13:47
Originally posted by Solo
When I do shrink a movie with DVD-RB and I try burn it with Nero then I get a DVD realloacation error. Img Tool gives same error. If I ignore the error then the resulting DVD does play fine on my DVD player though.
I'm seeing the same thing on SOME disks. Here is the nero error message.

7:41:21 AM #2 DVDREALLOC -19 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 1154
File size is not a multiple of a logical block size (2 KB)

Is this really a problem or not?

jdobbs
5th July 2004, 14:27
I'm seeing the same thing on SOME disks. Here is the nero error message.

7:41:21 AM #2 DVDREALLOC -19 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 1154
File size is not a multiple of a logical block size (2 KB)

Is this really a problem or not? It should probably burn ok as the burning software will pad it... but it's perplexing. I write all my files in 2K increments, so how could one of them not be on an even 2K border? Are you using any other tools for pre or post processing?

DVD files have to fall on a 2K border because that is the sector size of DVD-Video discs.

Joergen
5th July 2004, 14:54
A referenced 0KB VOB is also not a multiple of 2, where if its unreferenced nero will say it shouldnt be there.

Faust2
20th July 2004, 11:13
I wonder why "dynamically assign bitrates" is still in the "standard" mode menu. It just confuses people. I can't imagine any situatiion where you would turn this off. IMHO this is the only way to achieve a reasonable bitrate distribution across the movie, it works great, and therefore it should not be longer in the standard mode menu, because it sounds complicated and people, especially "one-click-people" :D , will always tend to be afraid, turn it off and then be disappointed about the quality. Please jdobbs consider to move it in the advanced options, with reverse logic "disable dynamically...", or even put it in the hidden settings.

jdobbs
20th July 2004, 22:39
Originally posted by Faust2
I wonder why "dynamically assign bitrates" is still in the "standard" mode menu. It just confuses people. I can't imagine any situatiion where you would turn this off. IMHO this is the only way to achieve a reasonable bitrate distribution across the movie, it works great, and therefore it should not be longer in the standard mode menu, because it sounds complicated and people, especially "one-click-people" :D , will always tend to be afraid, turn it off and then be disappointed about the quality. Please jdobbs consider to move it in the advanced options, with reverse logic "disable dynamically...", or even put it in the hidden settings. Actually my plan is to make it the only option... there is never a good reason to disable it.

Toranaga
3rd August 2004, 21:22
I am trying to do The Butterfly Effect PAL and get a Run-time error 53 - file not found when trying to encode.

TheSeeker
3rd August 2004, 21:35
DId you do any preprocessing? If so did you make sure that all the files are in the source folder?

Toranaga
4th August 2004, 06:46
I get the same error no matter if I haved pre-processed or not.

Amir
13th August 2004, 10:26
post dontation info in the FAQ please (I couldnt find it).

wmansir
13th August 2004, 11:58
Originally posted by Amir
post dontation info in the FAQ please (I couldnt find it).

It's in the readme file, on the program's help menu and there's a link in the "about" window.

Mojo300
13th August 2004, 15:14
Can I use this version with DVD Rebuilder?

jdobbs
13th August 2004, 17:59
Yes. I think it will work with the the "CCE SP 2.66+" setting. I just used that version because it was the one I have available at the time.

Amir
16th August 2004, 10:04
It's in the readme file, on the program's help menu and there's a link in the "about" window.

Oh, um Well i know what the app is so never used the about, and program for a living so never read readmes or help files ;-)))

Thanks for the pointer, will go and check them.

yesgrey
5th October 2004, 13:07
Hi jdobbs,

Thanks for the great work you are doing with DVD-RB.
I have already made my donation.

I would like to suggest one thing to DVD-RB.

You request the path for the working directory.
In this directory you do a lot of successive reads and writes during all the process.

I think it would be great if instead of one working directory we could set two working directories. For people like me, with two hard disks, this would be great because the speed of the process will increase and, the most important, will be less stressing for the disk.

Example:
disk 1: source dir and worka dir
disk 2: workb dir
1st step: read from source and write in workb
2nd step: read from workb and write in worka
3rd step: read from worka and write in workb

I hope I have been clear enough.

Best Regards,
Samuel

lamster
5th October 2004, 13:51
I had thought about suggesting adding a target directory, for when you can't fit the D2VAVS directory plus the resulting VIDEO_TS directory on one drive. (I.e., working directory would be for D2VAVS, and target directory would be for AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.)

Also, it might be nice if there were an option to delete the D2VAVS directory after a successful rebuild. (Although if you implement both of these ideas, then the log file should go into the target directory, since that should be preserved.)

FreQi
5th October 2004, 20:14
I like the idea of being able to specify a Working Directory (for the D2VAVS dir) and a Target Directory (for the VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS dirs)... It would allow you to just burn that dir without needing to delete the D2VAVS dir first. Doesn't bother me either way tho.

Khauron
13th October 2004, 20:13
First I'd like to thank the author.

To the subject: would it possible to add some kind of ISO-mode to DVD-RB? With ISO-mode I mean mode in which the DVD-RB would rebuild the files to burnable .ISO. At this moment (0.63a) the DVD-RB comes out fine with VIDEO_TS -folder, which most of the people burns with Nero?

I think this ISO-mode could solve some strange problem with burning and with compatibility. Burning with DVDDecrypter is free, also. I think there are users who can mess up with Nero's settings...

Or is there a prog which would convert the VIDEO_TS -folder to one burnable ISO?

nwg
13th October 2004, 20:18
Or is there a prog which would convert the VIDEO_TS -folder to one burnable ISO?

Imgtool Classic.

jdobbs
13th October 2004, 20:21
@yesgrey3, lamster, and FreQi

I've implemented the additional output directory as an option and it will be available in v0.64. Thanks for the suggestion.

lamster
13th October 2004, 20:23
@jdobbs

Thanks for the implementation! The suggesting part was easy. :sly:

FreQi
14th October 2004, 14:54
Thank you much :cool:

kooky
14th October 2004, 18:24
Hi jdobbs

Thanks to make DVDRB better and better in each new release ;)

i know we asked you before about that, but do you plan to implement a support for multi-angles and interleave source?

For example, with the Simpsons Season 4, there are few extra with 3 angles, DVDRB has some issues with the 4 DVD

An other issue with Die Hard Episode 1 which contains interleave source

Keep the good work

Greets
Kooky

wmansir
14th October 2004, 20:58
jdobbs is concentrating on full multi-angle/interleaving support now (as long as no more major issues pop up). As an interim solution he may release a version that will allow you to process such discs, but only retain one angle.

DMagic1
14th October 2004, 23:55
Great to hear it.

lamster
15th October 2004, 16:28
@yesgrey3, lamster, and FreQi

I've implemented the additional output directory as an option and it will be available in v0.64. Thanks for the suggestion.
Seems to be a wee bug - when you toggle "Additional output directory" on or off, the "Transcode" button disappears if you're in 1-click mode.

(The work-around is to stop and restart Rebuilder; the button will be back.)

jdobbs
15th October 2004, 16:38
Don't know how I missed that. I'll get it fixed.

jdobbs
15th October 2004, 16:52
Fixed and posted as 0.64a.

wfn1
15th October 2004, 17:30
@JD

RESPECT MON!

yesgrey
15th October 2004, 22:07
@jdobbs,

Thank you very much for adding the extra path.

My hard disks will be eternally grateful to you! :-)

jdobbs
15th October 2004, 22:19
Your wish is my command. ;)

Harm
15th October 2004, 23:09
I think it's most admirable that you put in some much work jdobbs!
You deserve all the credit you think that comes to the others.....

One big cheer for you!!!!!!!!

:thanks:

kooky
16th October 2004, 12:52
What about a multi-languages version?
i have no problem with english, but maybe some users would like a version in their native language?
Could be implemented into a .dll?

jdobbs
16th October 2004, 19:10
Honestly I don't know. I've never created software in a multilanguage version.

Harm
16th October 2004, 19:40
Originally posted by kooky
What about a multi-languages version?
i have no problem with english, but maybe some users would like a version in their native language?
Could be implemented into a .dll?
Good idea! I am sure lots of us will help you creating the correct text in their native language (I will for sure..... :) )

J-Wo
16th October 2004, 21:51
hey jdobbs, I got a couple cosmetic suggestions:

1) When in 3 click mode, include a checkbox (or perhaps in the options menu) to auto-rebuild after encoding. I know, you're probably asking why don't you just do 1 click mode? Well after preparing, I sometimes like to load rebuilder.inf into Rb-Opt to make some bitrates changes or something.

2) In the progress window, is it possible to change the lines to read "Creating M2V for VTS_01 segment xx of yy"? I know you have an overall percentage meter but sometimes I like to know how many segments there are left to do. I think Rb-Farm already reports progress this way.

That's about all I've got so far :)

lamster
18th October 2004, 05:40
Honestly I don't know. I've never created software in a multilanguage version.

Basically, you put all your resources (including all text strings) in a separate DLL, create multiple copies for each supported language, and at run time link to the DLL appropriate to the desired language. (I could give you help for Visual C++, but I've never done it with a VB app.)

One PITA is that many things take longer to say in other languages, so you have to leave room in all your dialogs for the longer strings.

lamster
19th October 2004, 05:01
Originally posted by J-Wo
When in 3 click mode, include a checkbox (or perhaps in the options menu) to auto-rebuild after encoding. I know, you're probably asking why don't you just do 1 click mode? Well after preparing, I sometimes like to load rebuilder.inf into Rb-Opt to make some bitrates changes or something.
I'd like to see this too. I start out in one-click mode, but if I have to stop in the middle, I have to switch to 3-click mode in order to continue the Encode phase later.

In the progress window, is it possible to change the lines to read "Creating M2V for VTS_01 segment xx of yy"?
I grep the rebuilder.inf for %[V[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]+%] to see how many segments there are, or for the following if I also want to see how many frames are in each:
(%[V[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]+%])|(Frames=)

dragongodz
19th October 2004, 05:35
you put all your resources (including all text strings) in a separate DLL,
actually you can just put all the text in a text file and do it that way aswell. thats how DVDx does it. adding extra languages can be done by anyone that way. :)

lamster
19th October 2004, 16:09
That's another approach, which (IMO) is more suited if you're designing in support for multiple languages from the start.

Some advantages of what I suggested are:

You don't have to redo your existing resource files and modify the code to read the strings from the text file
Right-to-left languages are supported by the resource file
You can "tweak" the dialogs on a per-language basis to account for differing lengths of strings, so there are no big gaps in some because one string is very long in one language.

I'm sure there are other approaches as well, and I don't know what would work best with a VB app. (Sorry if it sounded as though I was saying that's the only way to do it; that's just what I have experience with.)

lamster
19th April 2005, 22:49
Sometimes there's a problem with the encoder, and we want to try reproducing the problem outside of Rebuilder. (Expecially if the encoder is crashing 12 hours into the process... :) )

It would be nice if there were an option which would log the command-lines used for each invocation of the encoder. (I actually wrote a front-end that would do this, so I could tell Rebuilder to use QuEnc_FE.exe (as in QuEnc Front End), and QuEnc_FE would write the command-line parameters to a log and then invoke QuEnc.exe, passing the same parameters along. This gets tricky when you look at the size of the executable to guess which version of QuEnc is being used, and pass different command-line parameters.)

Similarly, I'm now trying HC, and working on a crash in that. I see the command-line is:
HCBatch_013.exe -ini "E:\DVD\D2VAVS\HC.INI"
but without an option to have a separate INI file used for each invocation, it gets harder to try and figure out why some segments crash and others don't.

BlkPnthr
4th September 2005, 06:34
A suggestion (is posted in a different thread, my apologies as I didn't see this one until after...)

Any chance of a posssible thread/forum for possible future idea's for DVD-RB? It is an awesome program but, often thought of idea's that might be easy to impliment (I don't know, am not a coder or programmer).

One idea I did have was, to be able to have DVD-RB's log named the same name as the output file folder.

For example:

If I was backing up the movie "Ghostbusters", and the output folder was called "GB_1", then the log would be named "GB_1.txt". I could see this coming in handy when batch processing, just in case you had forgotten the order they were processed. Also, when in one log, if you don't remember the order, then you could end up giving bad information.

I appreciate your time in reading my thread. :thanks:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=99574

BlkPnthr
4th September 2005, 06:36
btw..jdobbs, thans for all your awesome work..and Rockas is a true asset as well. Both of you have helped a great many-person out and it's appreciated.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

TheCreamCrackerBoy
13th December 2005, 02:50
I've got a suggestion, folks.

Can Mencoder be implemented with future versions of DVD-RB? Last versions of Mencoder can encode MPEG-2 files pretty good... IMHO, it's my preferred encoder for low/medium bitrates. And it supports AVS files.

Last Celtric Druid's builds can be find at http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/mplayer

A GUI for Mencoder by Dancho can be find at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=101246 (only for MPEG-2 encoding)

Comparisions of MPEG-2 encodings at low bitrates can be find at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=98633

Comparisions of MPEG-2 encodings at medium bitrates can be find at
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=101735

My regards,

TheCreamCrackerBoy.

SpazzHH
13th December 2005, 03:10
@TheCreamCrackerBoy

Wasn't exactly the same question asked, with exactly the same links given, in your post just a couple of days ago here? (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=748849#post748849)

TheCreamCrackerBoy
13th December 2005, 03:31
@SpazzHH

Hi, SpazzHH, you are absoltely right... it's because It was 3 days ago, without any replies. I wasn't sure if this suggestion arrived to the developers. Besides, I've posted the message at the other thread more than 1 year from the last post.

Since here is the [official] thread for DVD-RB suggestions, I've decided to post it again here, and I deleted my previous post at the other thread.

Sorry if I bothered you. It's not my interest to offend anyone here, neither to break the rules of this forum.

My best regards,

TheCreamCrackerBoy.

jdobbs
13th December 2005, 11:30
Does it actually do anything differently/better than QuEnc? They both use the same library for encoding -- and from my understanding QuEnc's methods of using the library are faster.

TheCreamCrackerBoy
13th December 2005, 15:43
Does it actually do anything differently/better than QuEnc? They both use the same library for encoding -- and from my understanding QuEnc's methods of using the library are faster.

Hi, jdobbs,

I didn't know that QuEnc and Mencoder had the same [internal?] library for encoding. I thought that each MPEG-2 encoder had a different library. I should run some tests to compare QuEnc to Mencoder... :-)

See ya!

TheCreamCrackerBoy.

jdobbs
13th December 2005, 15:54
I believe they both use libavcodec from sourceforge. It's a GNU licensed library.

hallway
30th December 2005, 00:18
How about an "estimated completion time" for DVD Rebuilder ?? I understand it might be a lot of guesswork or actually, is it a function of the encoder instead ?? I've only experimented with DVD-RB and my previous (2) runs with it completed the encoding process in 2-3 hours. I'm running DVD-RB on Madagascar right now and it's working on 4-5+ hours I think.... If I'd have known it was going to take this long, I'd have run it before going to bed as I've got a couple other DVDs to work on at the moment.

jdobbs
30th December 2005, 03:15
That's a tough one. The time depends on too many variables: Processor speed, memory size, disc size, disc free space, disc fragmentation, whether you are using the same disc for reading and writing, as well as all the settings that can't be estimated like filters. All those are then affected by the "knowns" like total frames etc...

BlkPnthr
30th December 2005, 04:18
As I can appreciate the variables, is it possible to come up with some type of calculation? For example, I download using NL and based on current internet activity, files added or deleted from the que, it gives you an approximate time as to how long it will take to download the files enque...

btw..keep up the awesome work m8. I swear by this program along with CCE. Keep on rockin'.

jdobbs
30th December 2005, 17:14
How about an "estimated completion time" for DVD Rebuilder ?? I understand it might be a lot of guesswork or actually, is it a function of the encoder instead ?? I've only experimented with DVD-RB and my previous (2) runs with it completed the encoding process in 2-3 hours. I'm running DVD-RB on Madagascar right now and it's working on 4-5+ hours I think.... If I'd have known it was going to take this long, I'd have run it before going to bed as I've got a couple other DVDs to work on at the moment. Just a reminder. You can always abort the job, and then continue in 3-Click mode (by pushing the ENCODE, or REBUILD button and answering "Yes" when asked whether to resume the last encode).

TheCreamCrackerBoy
6th March 2006, 15:55
I believe they both use libavcodec from sourceforge. It's a GNU licensed library.
According to this source - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=98633 - Menconder comes in 1st place and QuEnc comes in 2nd... so there are differences between them, I believe...

See ya,

The Cream Cracker Boy.

Fishman0919
6th March 2006, 16:53
According to this source - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=98633 - Menconder comes in 1st place and QuEnc comes in 2nd... so there are differences between them, I believe...

See ya,

The Cream Cracker Boy.

AQE, QuEnc, NuEnc, Menconder, FreeEnc all use the libavcodec engine to encode... so with the same setting you should get the same results. Menconder lets you tweek the settings more so then some of the other encoders.... and in doing so you can make your encoding better or much, much worse if things are not sets right.

sharcher
3rd May 2006, 14:16
I bought DVD-RB & am getting notified of updates. I had to change my email address... how do I notify DVDRB ?

Rockas
3rd May 2006, 14:47
just send the changes to dvd-rb@dvd-rb.com... don't gorget to mention the old and new email addresses.

AGKnotUser
31st March 2007, 19:48
I would like to see a "Profile" function added in DVD-RB. I use one set of settings for "Movie Only" backup and a completely different set for "Full Backup". If I could select a profile for one or the other it would reduce time and the risk of mistakes. Thanks.

jdobbs
31st March 2007, 20:04
That's already there. Look under the FILE menu for "Load Template" and "Save Template".

AGKnotUser
3rd April 2007, 15:47
That's already there. Look under the FILE menu for "Load Template" and "Save Template".

Thanks!

Robotik
13th May 2007, 23:43
hi,

i'm an absolute newbie, and i'm a little puzzled. i've read that the best quality can be reached using RB-Opt, but trying it got me even more puzzled.
i prepared a small dvd for testing (700 MB), but it seems target size can only be 4.7 or 8.5 GB, and prepare always resets Item Reduction to 100% (even after i checked Force Reencoding), so i can't test it.
also, preview doesn't seem to work.

any suggestions? should i just jump in give it a real compression job?

also, a feature reques from the newbie :): would you include a "Custom Target Size" under dvd-5 and dvd-9, so the user can set any size he wants?

thanks,
robotik

wmansir
14th May 2007, 07:44
These hidden settings you can set in the rebuilder.ini file should help you, robotik.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=482090#post482090

Robotik
14th May 2007, 12:42
thanks, wmansir.
is there an all-newbie guide/thread for DVD-RB in this forum?

SpazzHH
14th May 2007, 12:56
You might try the help file that comes with RB. It's a bit old, but very informative.

Robotik
14th May 2007, 20:06
thanks, i got so used to get info from forums, that i forgot this simple method :D
yep, it is a nice help file!

Hauru
12th June 2007, 12:33
Hi,

i think DVD rebuilder makes wrong mapping of Quality_prec
parameter for CCE SP2.

It is leaved on default 16 in rebuilder, but in the end .ecl
file it will be mapped to 25. As i have opened the file in
CCE it was also 25. The same value (25) shows also RB-Opt.

CCE SP2 uses 0-100 range and recommends to keep this at 16
for the standard picture. Why rebuilder pushes it to 25?

Fishman0919
12th June 2007, 13:59
By default DVD-RB uses 16 (the CCE recommend setting), with all the diff ver of CCE SP/SP2 using the 0-64 scale or the 0-100 scale.... it seems to be set to the 0-64 scale for SP2. You will not be able to see a diff between 16 and 25 on most if any encodings. It's most likely not high up on jdobbs list of stuff to be done/fix but maybe in a future release it will be fixed.

jdobbs
12th June 2007, 16:44
Because CCE versions kept jumping back-and-forth between the 0-64 scale and the 0-100 scale, I decided to stick with the 0-64. The value is adjusted for encoders that use the 0-100. So if you select 16 on a 0-64 scale -- it is the same thing as selecting 25 on a 0-100 scale.

So if you want to set the value to 16 on a 0-100 scale, select 10.

TheCreamCrackerBoy
31st July 2007, 19:37
I really recommend Mencoder as one *great* encoding tool.

AQE, QuEnc, NuEnc, Menconder, FreeEnc all use the libavcodec engine to encode... so with the same setting you should get the same results. Menconder lets you tweek the settings more so then some of the other encoders.... and in doing so you can make your encoding better or much, much worse if things are not sets right.

I have done *several* encoding tests with these encoders and I concluded that Mencoder has results that IMHO should be considered, specially when used with Notch matrix.

I must clarify that I really do respect Fishman0909; however, I don't understand why I can't get the same results with these encoders, even using the exact same settings.

Final note: I am talking about downsizing from double-layer to single-layer DVDs. So, I am not using high bitrates on my tests.

My best regards,

The Cream Cracker Boy.

jdobbs
3rd August 2007, 12:48
I'll look at an interface to Mencoder, maybe a stub that will convert the QuEnc command line to those Mencoder understands.

Boulder
3rd August 2007, 13:00
It would be interesting to test Mencoder now that it supposedly produces compliant video (i.e. no VBV problems). It might also be useful to add an option to feed extra cli parameters to Mencoder since there's a thousand of them - and they probably have a big impact on the quality of the output.

jdobbs
4th August 2007, 05:01
Does anyone have a good download address for a recent Windows CLI version?

Boulder
4th August 2007, 08:42
http://ffdshow.faireal.net , there's a few mirrors to choose from. The latest mplayer packages are from 20th of July I think.

jdobbs
4th August 2007, 13:54
This has to be the most complicated command line I have ever seen. Is there a good guide for MPEG2 encoding with MENCODER anywhere. I did some searching, but everything I found was really limited. The MAN pages all seem to be missing things too.

jdobbs
4th August 2007, 17:56
Well, on the test runs I've done (with Mencoder) so far it certainly doesn't look very good... admittedly I'm not an expert on the package -- but my QuEnc output (also using LIBAVCODEC) comes out much better.

[Edit: Found that adding mbd=2 helps some -- but slows it down]

Boulder
5th August 2007, 14:51
Sagittaire deals a lot with Mencoder, there are some profiles in this recent thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=128498

TheCreamCrackerBoy
7th August 2007, 05:17
@jdobbs

Thank you for considering this app.

Here are some curious notes about my tests:

1. If I try DVD-RB with QuEnc, the temporary avs scripts won't be opened with Mencoder; however, if I try DVD-RB with HCEnc, the avs files can be opened with Mencoder.

2. All Mencoder versions that I've got won't encode the last frame of an avs file. If this script contains 3096 frames, Mencoder encodes 3095 frames, ignoring the last one (QuEnc, HCEnc and other apps encode all the frames). I don't know why this happens; the only solution I've thinked of is to add 1 extra frame on the "Trim" commandline of that avs script.

3. On all my tests (automated or not) QuEnc [2-pass, VBR, high quality, trellis, extreme & slow settings] produced more (macro)blocking than HCEnc [profile: BEST], even with the very same bitrate setting. I've tried several sources - interlaced, progressive, dark, light, noisy ones, etc (however, animes and cartoons were not tested) - and the quality difference is *perceptible*. Mencoder, IMHO, produced results slightly better than HCEnc, even with scenechange threshold set to 0.

4. As far as I know (please notice that I may be wrong) Mencoder has some limitations concerning its matrices - that's why I'm using Notch matrix on Mencoder: because of compatibility issues.

5. Mencoder interested me after I read the forum located at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=98633. Later I've found this other one: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=101735.

6. I've found a few guides at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html and http://tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net/docs/mplayer-man.html

Hope it helps. ;-)

My best regards,

TheCreamCrackerBoy.

jdobbs
7th August 2007, 12:06
In my testing I found that by using the 3-pass template created by Sagittaire I can get output with quality equal to QuEnc -- but it is much slower. The last pass completes at about 9-12fps, even if I disable trellis. Compare that to the 50fps I get with QuEnc and it makes you wonder what the differences are since they are both using the LIBAVCODEC library.

Here's the 3-pass batch file I used (originally created by of Sagittaire), I modified several parameters in my tests (changed the bitrate, max bitrate, set the VBV to 1835, removed the PSNR output, used a 12 frame GOP):

@REM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
@REM >> HDDVD - 1080p - 23.976 fps - progressive - PSNR optimisation
@REM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

@echo off

@REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@REM
@REM 6 Mbps MPEG2 Mencoder Profil
@REM
@REM -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@REM >> Output and Input files

@REM Input file name
set E_SRC=HDDVD-ntsc.avs

@REM Output file name
set E_VID=MPEG2_6Mbps.m2v

@REM >> Rate control settings

@REM Set of bitrates
set E_BR=6000

@REM Set of max bitrates (use 9800 max for DVD compliant stream)
set VBV_MBR=20000

@REM Set of max buffer size (use 1835 max for DVD compliant stream)
set VBV_MBS=9781

@REM Set of ratio initial buffer occupency (0.9 is good value)
set VBV_IBO=0.9

@REM Set of first pass quantizer (2 is good value for high bitrate)
set E_IQ=6

@REM Set of min quantizer (1 is good value for high bitrate)
set E_MinQ=2

@REM Set of max quantizer (9 is good value for high bitrate)
set E_MaxQ=31

@REM Set of quantizer variability [0.00;1.00] (0.75 is good value)
set E_VQ=0.75

@REM Set of inter quantizer masking [0.00;1.00] (0.00-0.50 is good interval)
set E_PMSK=0.10

@REM >> GOP structure

@REM Set of max interval KFrame (use 15 for DVD PAL and 18 for DVD NTSC)
set E_MIK=14

@REM Set of max BFrames [0;4] (use 2 max for DVD compliant stream)
set E_MBF=2

@REM Set of Adaptative BFrames [0;2] (desactived is 0, fast is 1 and slow is 2)
set E_ABF=2

@REM Set of Slow Adaptative BFrames Refine [0;10] (0 is full search, higher is faster)
set E_SBF=1

@REM >> Motion estimation settings

@REM Set of ME range [0;9999] (use 128 for DVD compliant stream)
set E_RME=128

@REM Set of Rate Distortion Optimisation [0;2] (2 is the best)
set E_RDO=2

@REM Set of diamond size [-99;6] (negatives values are adaptative diamond)
set E_DIA=-4

@REM Set of comparison function for ME [0;2000] (0 is SAD, 1 is SSE, 2 is SADT, +256 for chroma ME)
set E_CMP=2

@REM Set of previous ME [0;2]
set E_PME=2

@REM Set of BFrame refinements [0;4] (Bframe Quality, 4 is best quality)
set E_BFR=4

@REM >> VUI settings

@REM Display Aspect Ratio (4/3 or 16/9 for DVD compliant stream)
set E_DAR=16/9

@REM DC precision [8;10]
set E_DC=8

@REM Framerate (use 25 for PAL and 24000/1001 or 30000/1001 for NTSC)
set E_FPS=24000/1001

@REM Set intra matrix (use coef > 8 for DVD compliant stream with mencoder)
set E_INTRA=8,16,16,16,17,18,21,24,16,16,16,16,17,19,22,25,16,16,17,18,20,22,25,29,16,16,18,21,24,27,31,36,17,17,20,24,30,35,

@REM Set inter matrix (use coef > 8 for DVD compliant stream with mencoder)
set E_INTER=16,17,18,18,19,20,21,22,17,18,18,18,19,20,21,23,18,18,18,19,20,22,24,26,18,18,19,20,22,24,27,30,19,19,20,22,25,28,

@REM >> Mencoder CLI

ECHO.---------------------------------------------------------------
ECHO.First pass ...
mencoder.exe -priority idle %E_SRC% -o NUL -ovc lavc -ofps %E_FPS% -passlogfile MPEG2_6Mbps.log -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video
:vpass=1:vqscale=%E_IQ%:keyint=%E_MIK%:vqcomp=%E_VQ%:vmax_b_frames=%E_MBF%:vb_strategy=%E_ABF%
:brd_scale=%E_SBF%:vb_qfactor=1.25:vb_qoffset=0.00:vi_qfactor=1.00:vi_qoffset=0.00:me_range=%E_RME%:preme=%E_PME%
:dia=1:predia=1:mbd=%E_RDO%:precmp=0:cmp=0:subcmp=0:mv0:last_pred=0:trell:cbp:dc=%E_DC%:psnr:aspect=%E_DAR%
:inter_matrix=%E_INTER%:intra_matrix=%E_INTRA%:scplx_mask=%E_PMSK%:vqmin=%E_MinQ%:lmin=%E_MinQ%:mblmin=%E_MinQ%
:vqmax=%E_MaxQ%:lmax=%E_MaxQ%:mblmax=%E_MaxQ%:vqblur=%E_VQ%:vrc_strategy=0 -of rawvideo -ffourcc MPG2

@REM @CLS

ECHO.Second pass ...
mencoder.exe -priority idle %E_SRC% -o NUL -ovc lavc -ofps %E_FPS% -passlogfile MPEG2_6Mbps.log -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video
:vpass=3:vbitrate=%E_BR%:keyint=%E_MIK%:vqcomp=%E_VQ%:vmax_b_frames=%E_MBF%:vb_qfactor=1.25:vb_qoffset=0.00
:vi_qfactor=1.00:vi_qoffset=0.00:me_range=%E_RME%:preme=%E_PME%:dia=1:predia=1:mbd=%E_RDO%:precmp=0:cmp=0:subcmp=0
:mv0:last_pred=0:trell:cbp:qprd:dc=%E_DC%:psnr:aspect=%E_DAR%:inter_matrix=%E_INTER%:intra_matrix=%E_INTRA%
:scplx_mask=%E_PMSK%:vqmin=%E_MinQ%:lmin=%E_MinQ%:mblmin=%E_MinQ%:vqmax=%E_MaxQ%:lmax=%E_MaxQ%:mblmax=%E_MaxQ%
:vqblur=%E_VQ%:vrc_strategy=0 -of rawvideo -ffourcc MPG2

@REM @CLS

ECHO.Last pass ...
mencoder.exe -priority idle %E_SRC% -o %E_VID% -ovc lavc -ofps %E_FPS% -passlogfile MPEG2_6Mbps.log -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video
:vpass=3:vbitrate=%E_BR%:keyint=%E_MIK%:vqcomp=%E_VQ%:vmax_b_frames=%E_MBF%:bidir_refine=%E_BFR%:vb_qfactor=1.25
:vb_qoffset=0.00:vi_qfactor=1.00:vi_qoffset=0.00:me_range=%E_RME%:preme=%E_PME%:dia=%E_DIA%:predia=%E_DIA%:mbd=%E_RDO%
:precmp=%E_CMP%:cmp=%E_CMP%:subcmp=%E_CMP%:mv0:last_pred=3:trell:cbp:qprd:dc=%E_DC%:psnr:aspect=%E_DAR%
:inter_matrix=%E_INTER%:intra_matrix=%E_INTRA%:scplx_mask=%E_PMSK%:vqmin=%E_MinQ%:lmin=%E_MinQ%:mblmin=%E_MinQ%
:vqmax=%E_MaxQ%:lmax=%E_MaxQ%:mblmax=%E_MaxQ%:vqblur=%E_VQ%:vrc_maxrate=%VBV_MBR%:vrc_buf_size=%VBV_MBS%
:vrc_strategy=0 -of rawvideo -ffourcc MPG2

A different matrix may be appropriate also for DVD-5 output -- I'll have to test that.

jdobbs
27th August 2007, 20:48
Well, as an update I thought I'd let you know that I have MENCODER working with DVD-RB. I built a "CmdLine" choice as an encoder selection. I then pass certain parameters to a batch file that uses the parameters. That way it can support more than just this one command line encoder (like mencoder).

The problem I've seen right away is in sizing. MENCODER (or at least in my testing) doesn't seem to keep the specified bitrate & file size well. I just finished one of the SOPRANOS discs as a test, with 4 episodes on it (to assure myself that the problem wouldn't likely be encoder saturation)... and it came in at 3.5GB. The exact same bitrate set run through CCE was on-target at 4.32GB. Still testing...