PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rebuilder (CCE One-Click Beta v0.46) Comments and Suggestions

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

robw
4th April 2004, 01:16
Hi jdobbs

trying 0.29 and found this error

when I put in path to CCE SP (New) it appears on the path for CCE SP 2.50. Inside the INI file it appears correct

CCENEW=D:\Program Files\CCE 2.67 SP\EclCCE.exe

Then if I try to put in a path to CCE SP 2.50 it appears on the CCENEW line.

nwg
4th April 2004, 01:26
when I put in path to CCE SP (New) it appears on the path for CCE SP 2.50. Inside the INI file it appears correct

I just noticed that as well.

It still works though. I selected 2.50 and it comes up ok for encoding.

jdobbs
4th April 2004, 01:28
Originally posted by robw
Hi jdobbs

trying 0.29 and found this error

CCENEW=D:\Program Files\CCE 2.67 SP\EclCCE.exe

Then if I try to put in a path to CCE SP 2.50 it appears on the CCENEW line. Good catch. I just fixed it. It is keeping the information correctly, apparently when I was resizing the display areas this I moved them around. I just made the change and will replace my posted attachment as v0.29a.

Thanks

onesoul
4th April 2004, 01:38
Originally posted by jdobbs
I'm not familiar with the sup file format. Is it run-length encoded 4 color information that has been packetized for DVD? Someone else should help here please :o . Only know it is the format used by ifoedit to author. Please check this guide of Dvd subtitle tools: http://web.quick.cz/FKasparek/Software/DVD/DVDSupTools.htm

IMPORTANT: After authoring in IfoEdit don't forget to set up Subtitle Color properly!

For PALETTE=3210 can be used following colors:
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_PGCITI
VTS_PGC_1
[000000a5] Color 0 Y Cr CB 16 128 128 [10 80 80 ]
[000000a9] Color 1 Y Cr CB 32 128 128 [20 80 80 ]
[000000ad] Color 2 Y Cr CB 128 128 128 [80 80 80 ]
[000000b1] Color 3 Y Cr CB 235 128 128 [eb 80 80 ]Sorry for my newbiness.

nwg
4th April 2004, 01:46
jdobbs wrote,
Fixed a silly bug in which the path display areas for CCENEW and CCE 250 were reversed.

I downloaded 29a and my copy is still doing it.

Edit.

It was still 29 not 29a. I downloaded 29a again and it displays fine now.

robw
4th April 2004, 02:05
thank you

have verified that bug for CCE Basic, 2.50 and new are now correct in the program and ini file.

nwg
4th April 2004, 03:16
I can't download 29b. I am still getting 29a.

jdobbs
4th April 2004, 03:21
Originally posted by nwg
I can't download 29b. I am still getting 29a. I just tried it and it was 29b...

nwg
4th April 2004, 03:25
I usually use Firebird browser. I swapped for IE browser and got 29b. I went back to the Firebird and still get 29a. I wonder if it was a cache thing?

Got it in the end.

P3gasus
4th April 2004, 03:32
Excellent job jdobbs as usual. I'm posting here because I have a suggestion for you when you'll have time to implement it. I think that other people proposed this before. I think that there showld be an dialog in RB where to set manually cce options (like progressive option for example) because in pal lands there are tons of dvd that are actually progressive but tagged as interlaced and so DVDRB sets CCE with progressive=0 when it should be progressive=1. The only way to fix this is to manually modify ecl files with notepad.
Besides I think that the actual "CCE Customized Settings" dialog window should be made not resizable. It looks very ugly when resized ;)
Bye!

Paced
4th April 2004, 03:33
Originally posted by P3gasus
Excellent job jdobbs as usual. I'm posting here because I have a suggestion for you when you'll have time to implement it. I think that other people proposed this before. I think that there showld be an dialog in RB where to set manually cce options (like progressive option for example) because in pal lands there are tons of dvd that are actually progressive but tagged as interlaced and so DVDRB sets CCE with progressive=0 when it should be progressive=1. The only way to fix this is to manually modify ecl files with notepad.
Besides I think that the current "CCE Customized Settings" dialog window should be made not resizable. It looks very ugly when resized ;)
Bye!

This is already done in the latest version of DVD-RB (.29)

promitheas
4th April 2004, 09:43
Yes, obviously a subpicture stream is a sup file (if you are authoring with Ifoedit).
I have worked with sup files and Ifoedit in the past, but unfortunately i do not have the technical knowledge to explain many things about its structure in the Dvd stream. There is an excelent windows tool (Srt2sup) for making sup files from a Suprip text file.I have a final guide of how it works.It can not be compared with the Dos environment "dvdsuptools" which is very user unfriendly.
Propably the authors of the 2 software can help the developer with more details.

jdobbs
4th April 2004, 15:15
NEW VERSION ATTACHED BELOW

Below you will find the newest version, v0.30. This version is very significant in that it finally fixes the audio dropout and (very probably) video stuttering that happens at chapter points. It also corrects a major issue with PAL that was introduced in v0.29. Since 0.29 included some significant changes as well I'm including both sets of changes below:

- BIG FIX. Found and corrected the error that was causing occasional audio dropouts at chapter/cell points. This is very likely also the culprit for the reported slight stuttering at chapter/cell points (although I can't verify that as I haven't been able to repeat it). A very special thanks to Pedro Gouveia, who is a beta-tester extraordinaire.

- Another important fix for PAL users. v0.29 injected an error that caused incorrect settings to be used in the stream. This could cause some very strange playback problems.

- Fixed a silly bug in which the path display areas for CCENEW and CCE 250 were reversed. (v0.29b)

- Fixed bug in which inclusion of interlaced calls are mistakenly included in .AVS files for progressive material. (v0.29a)

- Fixed the error introduced in version 0.27 that could cause "Runtime Error '6'" when the last cell of a VTS contained no audio or subpicture data (usually related to a still picture used as an exit point from a PGC).

- Added automatic logging of picture structure (progressive, interlaced, TFF etc.) for each cell during the PREPARE. The data is then used to created associated entries in the AVS files... If selected, the ConvertToYUY2() command will automatically include "interlaced=true" when the source is interlaced. I've also added a path configuration in the SETUP screen that points to DECOMB.DLL. If it exists, it will be automatically used for cleaning up interlaced source material.

- Changed action options when confronted with a disc that is already small enough to fix on a DVD-R. You now will only be warned and can continue anyway if you desire. This makes it possible for you to just remove audio streams or run for conversions from 4:3 to 16:9, etc. Also please be warned that choosing to continue could create output that is actually bigger than the original.

- Fixed VTS size check error for decision to reencode and removed the influence of the menu (VTS_XX_0.VOB) file. (It was sometimes causing unnecessary reencoding of small VTSs.

- Corrected output of seq_endcode in CCE encoding. This value was incorrectly set to "1" when it should have been "0" -- the result was an end code being inserted at the end of every cell and may have caused glitches on some players. It may be related to possible "stutter" and audio dropouts that has been reported. Thanks to RB for pointing this out.

- Changed output filename for individual segment ecls ("item.ecl") -- found that uppercase lettering on the .ECL extension would cause errors when drag-and- dropped into CCE Version 2.50. Much thanks to DDOG and RB for finding this quite quirky oddity. All versions of eclCCE should work now.

- Added resizing of form height. Makes it possible to extend the size of the status box for better viewing of long encodes. Also removes a user ability to make the DVD-RB author look goofy (he does that fine on his own, thank you).

- Changed the AVS option for adding audio to fix the well-known CCE 2.50 and AMD processor bug. Now only one choice is available -- it defaults to ON, so those who use Pentiums may want to disable it. This was added to kill some of the confusion associated with previous choices and the need for a plug-in.

- Corrected several other minor bugs and made efficiency changes.

Enjoy!

Attachment updated to version 0.31
Made the following changes:

- Fixed an error that prevented "AudioDub(BlankClip()) from loading in AVSs. also fixed some errors in the decision mechanism as to what goes in an AVS.

- Modified the way in which INTERLACED and PROGRESSIVE streams are detected. Now PAL CELLS must have 90% of the frames flagged as PROGRESSIVE to be treated as such.

- Path to DECOMB.DLL is no longer required to use Decomb Option (it assumes it is in the AVISYNTH Plugin directory) Note, though that it will only be included on interlaced sources.

A NEW VERSION IS AVAILABLE -- SEE THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD

nwg
4th April 2004, 15:18
Another version :)

Off to test now on that problematic PAL Matrix Revolutions.

Yusaku
4th April 2004, 15:57
Ad additional subpicture support:

Yes, sup file is direct stream copy of the DVD, with additional timing information and sans palette info. (Unfortunately I haven't been able to find detailed format specs anywhere, though...)

Another candidate might be VobSub format - direct stream copy (equivalent to dvd decrypter copy of a subs stream - RLE images encapsulated in MPEG2 PS), with additional timing and palette stored in accompanying text index file.

I don't think you should include the creation of these in RB, as the rasterization and multiplexing is not trivial, there exist at least two nicely usable programs for the job (sub2sup and MaestroSBT + SON2VobSub); and you surely have enough work with other aspects of RB. Only export the palette in preparation step, so that subs created in MaestroSBT can be made with original DVD's subs palette.

For sample SUP, use IfoEdit on a dvd, for VobSub use vsrip from http://sf.net/projects/guliverkli/

StifflerStealth
4th April 2004, 17:29
If we encoded something with version 0.29b, do we need to encode again with version 0.30 to take advantage of the new features, or are the differences between the two versions only in the Rebuild (last) step? My disc is an NTSC Disc, so I don't need changes to PAL.

Thanks,
Stiff

jdobbs
4th April 2004, 18:36
Originally posted by StifflerStealth
If we encoded something with version 0.29b, do we need to encode again with version 0.30 to take advantage of the new features, or are the differences between the two versions only in the Rebuild (last) step? My disc is an NTSC Disc, so I don't need changes to PAL.

Thanks,
Stiff You should be ok. Just rebuild.

U977
5th April 2004, 07:50
#@!!@#!!!!

I took too long to write, and lost everything :(

Well, I just wanted to say this @P3gasus...
I also live in a PAL area, and it's usually the contrary: most titles seem to be flagged as "progressive" in bitrate viewer (frame type=progressive), but they are actually interlaced (DCT type=field, while it should be frame for progressive content).

There were several topics about this subject, and you should flag as "interlaced" in CCE, in that case. Based on my own experience, I noticed that too (encoding as progressive in CCE would give me artifacs at some moments in the movie when playing the result on a standalone player. Never on the computer).

Except if I did not understand anything, and my computer is by some miraculous way treating any video as interlaced? :-)

Tironic
5th April 2004, 08:28
Hi, although it's my first post, I've been watching the forums quite some time now.
I was struggling to backup some DVDs, till I found DVD Rebuilder.
Jdobbs you're doing an excellent job. I just love your program.
Now that I can post, I'll try to suggest, test and comment you on your work.

Thx for the hard work.

Tironic

P3gasus
5th April 2004, 09:11
Originally posted by U977
#@!!@#!!!!

I took too long to write, and lost everything :(

Well, I just wanted to say this @P3gasus...
I also live in a PAL area, and it's usually the contrary: most titles seem to be flagged as "progressive" in bitrate viewer (frame type=progressive), but they are actually interlaced (DCT type=field, while it should be frame for progressive content).

Here is an example of what I mean:
This is the output of bitrate viewer:

Num. of picture read: 26
Stream type: MPEG-2 MP@ML VBR
Resolution: 720*576
Aspect ratio: 16:9 Generic
Framerate: 25.00
Nom. bitrate: 9800000 Bit/Sec
VBV buffer size: 112
Constrained param. flag: No
Chroma format: 4:2:0
DCT precision: 10
Pic. structure: Frame
Field topfirst: Yes
DCT type: Field
Quantscale: Nonlinear
Scan type: Alternate
Frame type: Interlaced
Notes:

If you look at this movie with dvd2avi or virtualdubmod (which are players that don't deincerlace the video) you won't notice any horizontal lines in scene changes, not at all.
So I think that this is an example of what I call progressive tagged interlaced. Maybe I'm wrong but I think one should encode as interlaced (i.e. in cce progressive flag not checked) only the movies that have the horizintal lines in scene changes. Furthermore if you select to deinterlace via avisynth this movie (or, for example, TLOTR TFOTR which has the same bitrate viewer output), you will get an m2v full of fancy coloured blocks flying around in some scenes of the video.
So I learned not to trust Bitrate viewer output to determine cce and avisynth decomb settings. I trust only my eyes.
Bye

RB
5th April 2004, 09:20

There were several topics about this subject, and you should flag as "interlaced" in CCE, in that case. Based on my own experience, I noticed that too (encoding as progressive in CCE would give me artifacs at some moments in the movie when playing the result on a standalone player. Never on the computer).
That sounds strange, do you have an example? I have never seen this before. At least CCE always sets DCT type to Frame when you check "Progressive Frame flag".

DrVenkman
5th April 2004, 11:31
Right then - long time lurker first time poster here. I seem to be getting a few problems.

First off, the first encode I managed to do properly was 'The Rookie' R2 Dvd. However, on my standalone there were problems when it came to the chapter points with a slight pause occuring at each stop. However, I gather that can be fixed when running it through DVDShrink, so all is not lost.

Since then though I've been getting undersized files. For example, I tried 'Spirited Away' R2 and got a 1-1.5GB file, when I tried playing it I got a black screen with the red bars. Now I know I have MPEG2DEC3.DLL installed in the right place because it worked with 'The Rookie'. So I removed everything and installed it all again. Now though I get a new error. Once the initial Prepare stage is done and it comes to encoding, CCE (2.5) starts up and I get the following error;

"Could Not Create or Open The File
<D2VAVS\V01000000001001.vaf>
The System cannot find the path specified.
[Windows Error Code 0x3 3]"

So...any ideas?

jdobbs
5th April 2004, 12:17
Originally posted by DrVenkman
Right then - long time lurker first time poster here. I seem to be getting a few problems.

First off, the first encode I managed to do properly was 'The Rookie' R2 Dvd. However, on my standalone there were problems when it came to the chapter points with a slight pause occuring at each stop. However, I gather that can be fixed when running it through DVDShrink, so all is not lost.

Since then though I've been getting undersized files. For example, I tried 'Spirited Away' R2 and got a 1-1.5GB file, when I tried playing it I got a black screen with the red bars. Now I know I have MPEG2DEC3.DLL installed in the right place because it worked with 'The Rookie'. So I removed everything and installed it all again. Now though I get a new error. Once the initial Prepare stage is done and it comes to encoding, CCE (2.5) starts up and I get the following error;

"Could Not Create or Open The File
<D2VAVS\V01000000001001.vaf>
The System cannot find the path specified.
[Windows Error Code 0x3 3]"

So...any ideas? The black screen with red bars is actually an AVISYNTH error message. A good rule of thumb after first installing DVD-RB is to set up for three click mode (only the first time) and run only the PREPARE phase. Then, using Windows Media Player, open one of the .AVS files in the \D2VAVS directory. When it runs, and you see an error message displayed in the window... something hasn't been set up right (usually a path of some kind). You should only have to do this once -- unless of course you change something.

DrVenkman
5th April 2004, 12:24
Hmmm - I've tried that and now I get;

"Script Error: There is no function named "mpeg2source"
(G:\Rebuilder\D2VAVS\V01000100001002.avs, line 5)

It presents this message pretty much every time I try to open an AVS file. However, the D2V files open with no trouble.

I've checked the path to see if it's right and it is.

Could the other problem I'm having be related to this as well?

jdobbs
5th April 2004, 13:38

It presents this message pretty much every time I try to open an AVS file. However, the D2V files open with no trouble.

Could the other problem I'm having be related to this as well? Set the path for MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL in the SETUP screen. Sometimes (usually an incorrect registry entry) it isn't found in the plug-in directory. MPEG2Source() is a function that exists in the .DLL.

quantum
5th April 2004, 14:00
Originally posted by quantum
I find myself wanting to know two things after it's finished. What was the average bitrate and how long did it take. I can find the bitrate if I scroll back and hunt around. I can figure out the time if I scroll back and do some math. I'd like to see:

Processing finished.
Batch 1 processing time: 235 minutes
Batch 1 bitrate: 2998 K

Batch 2 processing time: 422 minutes
Batch 2 bitrate: 3221 K
Ok. It's on the list and should be in .29 -- if it isn't, yell at me and remind me I made a promise. Is this in .30? I did a single job, not a batch, and I didn't see a results summary.

philos31
5th April 2004, 14:08

Could the other problem I'm having be related to this as well?

This could be also a conflicting version of Avisynth...
Had this problem too.

Make a little textfile, call it something like version.avs
put in this script only:

Version()

Save it and run it in Mediaplayer, it will give you the version installed on your system...

If it is not Avisynth 2.54 then search your PC for the conflicting version, uninstall it, install the new version again...

SAPSTAR
5th April 2004, 14:34
Originally posted by philos31
This could be also a conflicting version of Avisynth...
Had this problem too.

Make a little textfile, call it something like version.avs
put in this script only:

Version()

Save it and run it in Mediaplayer, it will give you the version installed on your system...

If it is not Avisynth 2.54 then search your PC for the conflicting version, uninstall it, install the new version again...

Instead of using the One-Click option switch to 3 buttons (prepare, encode, rebuild).
After the prepare phase, check that the loadplugin line is inserted in each AVS script...I noticed that DVDRebuilder seems to "forget" this line in some AVS files (the first AVS of each VOB file exactly..)

after just press encode, it will work...you can check by reading the AVS file through a media player.....

jdobbs
5th April 2004, 14:34
I find myself wanting to know two things after it's finished. What was the average bitrate and how long did it take. I can find the bitrate if I scroll back and hunt around. I can figure out the time if I scroll back and do some math. I'd like to see:

Processing finished.
Batch 1 processing time: 235 minutes
Batch 1 bitrate: 2998 K

Batch 2 processing time: 422 minutes
Batch 2 bitrate: 3221 K Wow. I said that would be in 0.29? I obviously lied. Look for it in the next version.

jdobbs
5th April 2004, 14:37
Originally posted by SAPSTAR
Instead of using the One-Click option switch to 3 buttons (prepare, encode, rebuild).
After the prepare phase, check that the loadplugin line is inserted in each AVS script...I noticed that DVDRebuilder seems to "forget" this line in some AVS files (the first AVS of each VOB file exactly..)

after just press encode, it will work...you can check by reading the AVS file through a media player..... One point to remember is that the AVS files are built in the PREPARE stage. So if you make changes (like setting the path or checking options) -- you have to redo the PREPARE to include the changes.

SAPSTAR
5th April 2004, 14:39
First of all : Good job jdobbs !!!! I didn't succeed in backuping one DVD yet with...but It's improving day by day.....

Could you add an option to keep track of the already encoded cells ?, because if you abort for any reason, and that your PC is a slow one (24 hours to reencode for example :( )....it would be good to keep what was successfully encoded....

DrVenkman
5th April 2004, 14:40
Hmmm - I removed any other version of AVISynth and reinstalled 2.54. I got the same error so I opened up the AVS file in notepad and got the following...

mpeg2source("G:\REBUILDER\D2VAVS\V01A.D2V")
trim(158820,169766)
ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)

Now the error message I keep having is

Script Error: There is no function named "mpeg2source"

So is the AVS script correct? Or do I have to make changes?

GooglyBear
5th April 2004, 14:59
Just to report: I did two more full backups with DVD-Rebuilder which has worked magnificently!

1st backup: (on Athlon 1ghz, 512MB)
DVD-shrinked: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
DVD-RB 29a, CCE 5pass, compeleted: 17 hours
looked almost like a perfect 1:1 copy of the original dvd on my LCD RPTV HDTV!!!

2nd backup: (on Athlon 800, 256MB)
DVD-shrinked: Donnie Darko
DVD-RB 30, CCE 3pass, completed: 25+ hours
not sure how it looks yet but I'm certain it's better than running it through my usual shrink-IC combination

keep up the great work jdobbs! Soon as you implement an auto-shutdown feature or that other 3rd party app you dislike (ROBA?) which speeds up CCE a bit, I'm donating for sure!

lab-one
5th April 2004, 14:59
@DrVenkman

Have you followed the installation instructions provided by jdobbs on this page (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73051&postid=465822)? Specifically step 3.

SAPSTAR
5th April 2004, 15:02
Hmmm - I removed any other version of AVISynth and reinstalled 2.54. I got the same error so I opened up the AVS file in notepad and got the following...

trim(158820,169766)

So is the AVS script correct? Or do I have to make changes?

You should insert a line loadplugin like this one :

#------------------
# AVS File Created by DVD Rebuilder
# VOBID:01, CELLID:01
#------------------
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3dg.dll")
mpeg2source("F:\DVDTEMP\D2VAVS\V01A.D2V")
trim(0,509)
ConvertToYUY2()
ResampleAudio(44100)

DrVenkman
5th April 2004, 15:23
Huzah! Now I finally got somewhere. Well anyway, it's encoding so I'm going to see how it goes. For some reason it was like plugin central here but I got no idea why. Well it worked with 'The Rookie' but with nothing since so something has gone wrong.

Anyway - how does it manage with TV Shows - anyone tried it succesfully?

huesage
5th April 2004, 15:33
@jdobbs:

As SAPSTAR said, it is important to be able to resume the encoding process at the cell you left off instead of restarting the whole process. I have not been able to post any results as my computer is having some RAM issues and i get reboots during the CCE process , so a resume would have been extreemly handy.

It would also allow people to have normal use of the computer while they are encoding. lets say instalations require reboots...

I hope this feature will be implemented. I have donated, and I will donate more as this project goes on wether you add this feature or not. you deserve it.

Thank you for all your hard work jdobbs !

Joergen
5th April 2004, 15:34
Firstly I'd like to say jdobbs has created the tool everybody has dreamed of for years but thought wasnt possible.

Second, I've now done three "episodic" discs, two [snip] compilations with 7.8GB of jam-packed video and the [snip] disc with also 7GB (180min) of video, and DVD-RB is THE killer app for squeezing large discs onto a DVD-R.

Only problem so far has been about 200ms of audio dropout at chapter changes with 0.27. I will try 0.31 now to see if it fixes those.

Keep up the fabulous work Jdobbs! :cool:

nwg
5th April 2004, 15:43
DrVenkman wrote,
Anyway - how does it manage with TV Shows - anyone tried it succesfully?

I did a disc from CSI Season 2 PAL. This has 4 episodes plus a few extras (7.5GB).

I did CCE with 4 passes and it looked wonderful.

SAPSTAR
5th April 2004, 16:02
NEW VERSION ATTACHED BELOW

- Added automatic logging of picture structure (progressive, interlaced, TFF etc.) for each cell during the PREPARE. The data is then used to created associated entries in the AVS files... If selected, the ConvertToYUY2() command will automatically include "interlaced=true" when the source is interlaced. I've also added a path configuration in the SETUP screen that points to DECOMB.DLL. If it exists, it will be automatically used for cleaning up interlaced source material.

Don't you think the FieldDeinterlace command should be issued after the convertToYUY2(interlaced=true) and not before it??? Because if you proceed to the Deinterlacement before the convert, it is not interlaced anymore so the interlaced=true is not useful anymore ???? Am I right ?

jdobbs
5th April 2004, 16:39
Don't you think the FieldDeinterlace command should be issued after the convertToYUY2(interlaced=true) and not before it??? Because if you proceed to the Deinterlacement before the convert, it is not interlaced anymore so the interlaced=true is not useful anymore ???? Am I right ? Didn't think much about it. Does ConvertToYUY2() actually change the picture or just the color space?

jdobbs
5th April 2004, 16:41
First of all : Good job jdobbs !!!! I didn't succeed in backuping one DVD yet with...but It's improving day by day.....

Could you add an option to keep track of the already encoded cells ?, because if you abort for any reason, and that your PC is a slow one (24 hours to reencode for example :( )....it would be good to keep what was successfully encoded.... Why not? I can imagine an occasional glitch -- but none? Yes, that's not a bad idea.

jdobbs
5th April 2004, 16:44

trim(158820,169766)

So is the AVS script correct? Or do I have to make changes? Set the path to MPEG2DEV3DG.DLL in the SETUP screen.

VampHuntD
5th April 2004, 19:17
Hey Jdobbs, I know thw app is still way early in the works, but I think it would be a good idea to allow the user to pick the bitrates for the VTS sections. That way, we can lower the extras a bit more and add it to the main film. Like I said, I know this is a long way off, but I'd figure I 'd mention it! Keep up the hard work!

HanSolo00
5th April 2004, 19:23
Originally posted by huesage
@jdobbs:

As SAPSTAR said, it is important to be able to resume the encoding process at the cell you left off instead of restarting the whole process. I have not been able to post any results as my computer is having some RAM issues and i get reboots during the CCE process , so a resume would have been extreemly handy.

It would also allow people to have normal use of the computer while they are encoding. lets say instalations require reboots...

I hope this feature will be implemented. I have donated, and I will donate more as this project goes on wether you add this feature or not. you deserve it.

Thank you for all your hard work jdobbs !

This happened to me once as well (computer locked up.) However, since I was using CCE to do the encoding, all I had to do was edit the Rebuilder.ecl script, and delete all the cells that had already been encoded, then fire up CCE and resume where I left off.

Joergen
5th April 2004, 19:27
I support the idea for PAUSE/RESUME function as this will save huge amounts of electricity when this program gets popular.

This might cause further errors for jdobbs though, cause if a PC has ram errors and people resume after crashes and reboots.. the already encoded material might be corrupted. Sometimes ram errors show up as pixelation, coloured pixels and all kinds of bugs in encoded material, or might totally corrupt the compiled VOBs too.

If your PC cannot stay up all night encoding without crashing, fix the PC first.. it has serious problems.

jdobbs
5th April 2004, 19:42
Originally posted by VampHuntD
Hey Jdobbs, I know thw appp is still way early in the works, but I think it would be a good idea to allow the user to pick the bitrates for the VTS sections. That way, we can lower the extras a bit more and add it to the main film. Like I said, I know this is a long way off, but I'd figure I 'd mention it! Keep up the hard work! If I did this I'd have to have percentages or something to that effect entered... if I let someone pick bitrates directly you can bet the output would never fit.

jptheripper
5th April 2004, 20:16
you can do something along the lines of what dvd95copy does, such as the following:

they allow you to set compression for all but one of the titles.

I would propose allowing setting bitrates for upto n-1 titles, and if more than 1 title have no bitrate entered then those would have DVD-RB calculate it.

I think half the code is already in your program. But when you do your dynamic bitrate calculations, let the user set some bitrates for extras, and subtract those file sizes out from the total. Then calculate the dynamic rates for the remaining (unspecified) cells.

You could force the user to be unable to specify for all cells, or you could warn if all cells are selected that the dvd might be oversized (or will likely be).

Of course the math is minor, its the GUI for entering and logic checking the number of VTS that have bitrate specified vs those that dont that is the hard part.

And since your software splits by chapter it might be nice to be able to specify bitrate by chapter also (although this is a significant change to the interface). Maybe something along the lines of an advanced step in the 3 click that would be "do you want to custom assign bitrates" at the end of the prepare step, and a table with dependent percentages/bitrates pops up that we could change. This would be great for setting long credits to super low bitrates, credit to a low but watchable bitrate, super high action sequences to very high bitrates, etc..

im babbling, sorry for the long post.
just my 2 cents
-jp

Joergen
5th April 2004, 20:25
You can achieve that "superhigh action" and "super low bitrate" stuff basically best by encoding the movie in one chunk.. this way CCE can take away as much as it can from one place and add to the other.

Encoding in chunks like dvd-rb currently does is the only thing some CCE fanatic might claim yields worse quality than the big three method.

mikegun
5th April 2004, 20:33
hi,

could s.o. please help me out with the cce settings.
I normally do a 2 pass encoding.

thanks.

regards,

mikegun

DDogg
5th April 2004, 20:53
jdobbs, suggested test sources:

ISpy - silly movie, but has both wide-screen and normal movie, plus some trailers. Some menu problems that may help your diagnostics.

Xmen2 - seems near a worse case scenario. Long movie plus a zillion trailers - reduction is 28% so the projected bitrate is approx 1450 for movie.
===================================================================
Another subject -Originally posted by jdobbs
If I did this I'd have to have percentages or something to that effect entered... if I let someone pick bitrates directly you can bet the output would never fit. Ah, I think this could be automated much easier than you think [bad phrasing - lot of assumptions on my part]. Here are two variants:

1> Easiest - User, or you, sets a minimum acceptable quality for main movie, i.e., like 38. Run ONE 1% sample of the main movie (under 2 minutes)using OPV set for 38 (0-9000). The resulting sample size X 100 is the filesize. Extrapolate the needed bitrate and feed that back to multipass which will deliver an approximate quality in a known space (exactly). Since you now know (in advance of real encode) how much space the main movie will take, just give what is left to everything else. This method is the regular Multipass you are using except it takes the source complexity/compressibility into effect automatically. Deadly quality prediction and deadly file size accuracy all for a total cost of a whopping 2 minutes. :)

2> Set minimum quality acceptable to the user for everything but main movie. Do variation of above. Give balance to movie.

/add: ah, no way this method could co-reside with the dynamic bitrate allocation method. Sorry for bringing it up.

U977
5th April 2004, 21:47
In response to RB,

Last movie I noticed it on: Spirited Away, zone 2 (it's an anime)

And I'm currently doing "K-19" taht way, too. Exactly the same conditions:
Frame type= progressive
DCT type= field
(will have results tomorrow evening)

Here is one of the thread I looked at, regarding this issue:
Original thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=70225&perpage=20&pagenumber=1)

RB, you participated to that thread. Erm, did I understand in the wrong way what was said? Yet, I didno't meet a problem encoding as Interlaced. But I did if encoding as progressive.

I'm lost again lol

But I refer to what Kika said:
Although the source video was progressive, it will be handled as interlaced while decoding if you use interlaced Mode while encoding.
So my first statement is wrong. We have to use Interlace=true to get the correct decodet Video.

However, what i wrote about the Scan order was correct. It does not have a direct influence to the Colors.

If the source is an interlaced encodet progressive Video, you should use interlaced=true on any colorspace conversion.

I just realized he speaks about color space, though, not about pic structure...
So, now, I wonder if my color spaces are messed up. It's a nightmare.

RB
5th April 2004, 23:15
Right, DCT type has nothing to do with chroma AFAIK, also confirmed by Kika in that thread.

But again that's really odd, because according to various sources on the web (for instance, see http://www.bretl.com/mpeghtml/fldfrm.HTM), progressive sequences can have Frame DCT only. I wonder what encoder they are using that uses field DCT for progressive frames??

So are you saying for this type of video you are using ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true) and when you then encode as progressive, it looks wrong in some places? Have you tried ConvertToYUY2() instead?

Also, if you wouldn't mind, please download http://home.t-online.de/home/340044300675/dvd2avirb.zip. That's a modified version of DVD2AVIdg I created that when saving a project, also creates a log file (d2vname.log) in the same directory with several statistics. Can you run that against these VOBs and post the log file? I'm mostly interested in the numbers for "Progressive" and "FrameDCT". AFAIK BitrateViewer examines only the first I-Frame but this DVD2AVI version examines all the pictures. Thanks.

wmansir
5th April 2004, 23:57
Originally posted by RB
Also, if you wouldn't mind, please download http://home.t-online.de/home/340044300675/dvd2avirb.zip. That's a modified version of DVD2AVIdg I created that when saving a project, also creates a log file (d2vname.log) in the same directory with several statistics.
Thanks for posting that RB. I meant to ask you about it when you mentioned it earlier, but either forgot or didn't want to bother you.

huesage
6th April 2004, 00:38
Originally posted by Joergen
If your PC cannot stay up all night encoding without crashing, fix the PC first.. it has serious problems.

Yes, you are absolutely right, and I have been working on narrowing down the problem and replacing the parts for about a week now, I just received my new RAM from OCZ today and I am running:

- DVD Rebuilder 0.31
- CCE SP Trial 2.66 ;-)
- EclCCE 1.8b
- Big Lebowski NTSC (has both Full and Widescreen versions)

And so far all is going well. I will post my results once i burn it onto DVD-RW and play it on my Philips DVD727.

Rombaldi
6th April 2004, 00:51
Why not? I can imagine an occasional glitch -- but none? Yes, that's not a bad idea.

I was going to sugges that myself... basically a 'Suspend' button. Press it and DVDRB saves the current state of encoding and won't
start another encode process, so you can come back later.

Joergen
6th April 2004, 02:29
For people wanting to choose the compression ratios etc I'd like to suggest:

You can use dvdshrink to reauthor the main movie with no compression and the desired tracks and subs, and then dvd-rb to work its magic for the compression. This is a great option for really long movies if you dont want to split. And jdobbs doesnt ever need to add a reauthor/movie only option to his tool cause shrink already does it all.

Should produce pretty solid backups each time with the dvd-rb betas too since you eliminate problematic menu and stills in vobs when you reauthor just the main movie.

jdobbs
6th April 2004, 02:50
I will probably not do a movie-only version, but I do plan to make it possible to apply different compression factors to each of a DVD's VTSs.

Axlemar
6th April 2004, 03:15
This may not directly apply, but everytime I use DvdRemake 1.4 along with DVD ReBuilder (any version), I always get an overflow message and if I use DvdRemake then dvdshrink the chapter points lock up and I have to press next to continue. Does anyone else have these kind of problems with DvdRemake and is there any other software that can remove almost any section from a dvd and can be used with DVD Rebuilder? Sorry that this isn't really a suggestion and keep up the good work on DVD Rebuilder!

robw
6th April 2004, 03:21
DVDReMake works fantastic for me.

Axlemar
6th April 2004, 03:36
DvdRemake gives me this in its log file.
DvdReMake 1.3.1 started - Sun Apr 04 16:31:35 2004

Read DVD from:E:\VIDEO_TS
Read VMG
Warning! PGC Commands Table size is incorrect.
E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_0.IFO
Close project: stop parser...ok

any ideas on a fix?

Joergen
6th April 2004, 03:46
but I do plan to make it possible to apply different compression factors to each of a DVD's VTSs.

That will certainly be a great option for many dvds.

There was some discussion about vob titles (that arent the _0.vob) containing menu items and menu compression:

I wish you could find the time to look at either detecting if a vob title has menus in it (and then just copy as-is) or true menu compression. If you want to do some tests I noticed the THX optimizer in many discs (like indiana jones trilogy) is in a _1.vob and contains lots of menus and stills).

Although it's rarely that a menu can or should be compressed (often they turn out horrible cause they're already low bitrate). And again we can use dvdshrink to compress some menus or butcher out unwanted bits with other tools.

jdobbs
6th April 2004, 04:13
That will certainly be a great option for many dvds.

There was some discussion about vob titles (that arent the _0.vob) containing menu items and menu compression:

I wish you could find the time to look at either detecting if a vob title has menus in it (and then just copy as-is) or true menu compression. If you want to do some tests I noticed the THX optimizer in many discs (like indiana jones trilogy) is in a _1.vob and contains lots of menus and stills).

Although it's rarely that a menu can or should be compressed (often they turn out horrible cause they're already low bitrate). And again we can use dvdshrink to compress some menus or butcher out unwanted bits with other tools. That's coming. In fact I've already done a significant amount of the programming to prepare for it. But first I want to have a stable baseline that generates consistently good DVDs without major bugs.

robw
6th April 2004, 04:36
That's coming. In fact I've already done a significant amount of the programming to prepare for it. But first I want to have a stable baseline that generates consistently good DVDs without major bugs.

You are certainly getting there. I have very few problems. I'm very thankful that some of the people on this board are very "picky" because it does help in getting the program even better. But its already very good!

U977
6th April 2004, 05:11
@RB,

I will do a run with your posted version od DVD2AVI.

I can already say that I played with bitrate viewer on K-19 this morning (before going to work). More exactly, on K-19 files "decrypted" by DVDDecrypter.

Depending on the VOB file that I select (main movie only, I did not do the mistake to select extras), I get different results in Bitrate viewer. Sometimes it says frame type = interlaced, other times it says frame type = progressive. Even DCT type is changing, and scanning order. Such changes on the same movie, just by checking anotehr VOB file from the main movie.

My conclusion: something is wrong with bitrate viewer, and I would not trust it anymore.

Here is what I did until now: using bitrate viewer on one of the VOB files of the main movie to manually choose CCE settings. Most of the time, I was using the first file, and that's where I get DCT type = field while frame type = progressive.
Then I reauthor and burn on a rewritable, and check on a standalone player. Checking on a computer is never enough: it seems that computer players are able to correct mistakes such as encoding as interlaced when it's progressive and so on.
I'm never able to spot any mistake on my computer, when watching a video stream. Maybe that's why I don't trust my eyes to determine if video is interlaced or not when previewing in DVD2AVI. I never noticed any interlaced content in a DVD2AVI preview.

Then, according to what I observe with the "temporary" rewritable DVD that I just burned above, i.e. if there are artifacts in the final encoded video when watching on my standalone player, I would change settings in CCE.

So, RB, I can't honestly say if in final I worked on real interlaced content or not. I need to check everything from start again, if I want to be sure. But how can I be, if I can not trust Bitrate viewer, and if I can't find any interlaced lines when previewing in DVD2AVI?
I only did about 8 titles manually encoded (I mean choose CCE settings myself), so my real experience with such encodes is not really representative of the average situation met by most of people here.
However, I examined a lot more more than 8 with bitrate viewer, and almost always got "frame type = progressive" and "DCT type = field", when selecting the 1st VOB file of the movie (i.e. VTS_XX_1, not VTS_XX_0).

And I think I certainly messed the color spaces of my encodes, since I always applied the colorspace conversion with interlaced=false: I used the default of Avisynth (i.e. when we do not specify), and I wrongly thought that not specifying this parameter is interlaced=true. Why? Because it was the default advised by someone to EyesOnly for DOCCE4U, and what can be found in the AVS script created by DOCCE4U is that the parameter is not specified. I made wrong assumptions by thinking that the advice (from FMalibu, if I remember well) was followed by EyesOnly.
You know, sometimes, I did tests encoding some video as interlaced, or as progressive, and I could hardly tell if there were noticable differences in quality. Sometimes, I was not able to find artifacs, even on standalone players. Those times, I used to rely on bitrate viewer.

Very final conclusion: I thought I knew what I was doing, and yet, I realize it's not the case, and... I feel lost.

U977
6th April 2004, 12:18
RB,

I've read all the old posts once again, and understood that the progressive/interlaced type of frame does not apply to all the frames of a video stream: both types of frames could be found in a complete video stream, as this is a "per frame" (per GOP?) flag.

However, I really wonder what encoder they would have used to handle hybrid content like this.

But this may explain why bitrate viewer does not necessarily give us the same analysis results on different VOB files of the same movie.
And so, bitrate viewer is not wrong, but then is it useful for us?

This also implies that whatever we do, there will be some issues with colours.

Well, if you want to know my deep thoughts, I wonder what's the most important now: the gain of quality when using CCE, or keeping the original structure (and avoid all those problems) when using a transcoder like DVDShrink.

BTW, who has ever noticed a colour problem when conversion to proper colour space (proper usage of ConvertToYUY2) was forgotten? Not me.
Yet, I can hardly live with the idea that I can't find a solution to handle this colour space issue in the best, perfect way :-)
And I can hardly live with the idea that I won't use CCE anymore to backup DVDs.

SAPSTAR
6th April 2004, 14:13
Originally posted by Axlemar
This may not directly apply, but everytime I use DvdRemake 1.4 along with DVD ReBuilder (any version), I always get an overflow message and if I use DvdRemake then dvdshrink the chapter points lock up and I have to press next to continue. Does anyone else have these kind of problems with DvdRemake and is there any other software that can remove almost any section from a dvd and can be used with DVD Rebuilder? Sorry that this isn't really a suggestion and keep up the good work on DVD Rebuilder!

FYI : I'm using MenuEdit without any problem ! ....

SAPSTAR
6th April 2004, 14:40
That's coming. In fact I've already done a significant amount of the programming to prepare for it. But first I want to have a stable baseline that generates consistently good DVDs without major bugs.

You're close to the stable baseline...I succeeded in Rebuilding my first DVD yesterday without having to modify anything ....just by pressing Transcode. (LOONEY TUNES BACK IN ACTION), it worked like a charm, not yet burned but it's playing perfectly in Ifoedit.

jdobbs, I'm to donate !!!!

loosenut
6th April 2004, 15:07
Q:
Does a 1 frame mpv count as a "still" frame?

Hicky
6th April 2004, 15:51
First off all....Great app :D ...Testing out my first dvd now...

To emistral:
I struggeled some time with the same issue as you ...Solved it when I discovered that you have to point CCE SP 2.50 in setup to EcICCE.exe instead of cctsp.exe..

Originally posted by emistral
@jdobbs:
Great job
I am just starting to use DVD rebuilder and I followed the instructions in the readme file
I used to backup my dvds with reauthorist, CCE, doitfast4u, etc...
So I removed all of them plus avisynth, etc..
Then i reinstalled what was suggested:
avisynth 2.5.4
dvd decryptor latest version
dv2avi dg version

I am using CCE 2.5 so I also installed EclCCE 1.8

I setup DVD RB as described and then loaded my DVD (after using DVD decryptor).
I am starting with Whale Rider, PAL version
I am in Australia so everything is PAL
I decided to use method 2
I press Prepare. DVD RB processed the VTSses, build the AVS files and ECL files.
I did not checked the content of the ECL files neither the AVS ones.
Anyway when I pressed the Encode button, I had a serie of number - sort of an error code - in the processing gauge.
I can't remember the number
Encoding should last hours but mine lasted 1s.
Obviously it did not do a thing
I tried to press rebuild but I had a warning/error "nothing to do"

Then I tried the one click method
Same problem
The onl difference is that I did not see the error code but I had the "nothing to do" warning

I am suspecting my CCE version because according to ECL manual, I should have an ECL option menu in CCE and I don't have this one

Any idea ?
thanks

jdobbs
6th April 2004, 18:28
Originally posted by loosenut
Q:
Does a 1 frame mpv count as a "still" frame? Yes. But that usually isn't where the problem is. The more typical problem that causes the overflow is when you have a group of stills together (and a whole lot of audio).

loosenut
6th April 2004, 18:35
I see...
Well, as you may have imagined, I found a still frame that 0.31 had breezed over and I thought that the problem was gone. (sigh)

huesage
6th April 2004, 20:29
Just to let you know:

- DVD Rebuilder 0.31
- CCE SP 2.66 Trial
- EclCCE 1.8b

- STOMP record Now MAX
- Toshiba SD-R5112 (Maxell DVD-RW)

- Philips DVD727

This was a perfect error free, glitch free backup of "The Big Lebowski" NTSC 1:1 including extras and both versions (full & wide) on the movie with 5 passes on CCE.

Just thought i would post the sucess!

@jdobbs:

I know you are planning on allowing percentage change for different VTS but will you include stripping functions? say if I want to remove "The making of the big lebowski" which is an extra, or is the purpose of this tool to make 1:1 backups?

thanx again!

U977
6th April 2004, 21:04
logfile for K-19:

T01=AC3 0x80 3_2 448 0
T02=AC3 0x81 3_2 448 0
T03=AC3 0x82 2_0 192 0
GOPWarn=0
MPVBytes=4623620882
MPVMegaBytes=4409
AudioTracks=3
D2VFrames=198628
FramePictures=198628
FrameRate=25000
Width=720
Height=576
Bitrate=4655
Progressive=191470
FrameDCT=191482
TFF=198628
ZigZag=191470
PercentFilm=0

As a test, I encoded this one as progressive, with ConvertToYUY2() (thus interlaced=false).

I examined the resulting stream closely, did not find any artifact nor colour problems.

I will look at older work and let you know.

RB
6th April 2004, 22:00
Very interesting, about 5 minutes of interlaced video in there. Hmm, is this a multi-PGC VTS? Probably you ran DVD2AVI over all the VTS VOBs but it has maybe two PGCs where one is some interlaced stuff like a trailer? That would explain the difference.

Also, think we are getting a little OT here :) If you want to discuss this further, let's do so in the "old" interlaced encoding thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70225) in the CCE forum. If you want to get even more confused, read http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&frame=right&th=93a377a5d1fdc627&seekm=34541c9e.0%40news1.mid-ga.com#link7 :)

I've read all the old posts once again, and understood that the progressive/interlaced type of frame does not apply to all the frames of a video stream: both types of frames could be found in a complete video stream, as this is a "per frame" (per GOP?) flag.

However, I really wonder what encoder they would have used to handle hybrid content like this.
Yes, an encoder can decide on a per-frame basis whether to encode that particular frame as progressive or interlaced. So if you are really seeing intermixed content like this, then ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true) and encoding as interlaced is probably the best advice.

Oh, and here is an example of how incorrectly using ConvertToYUY2() on an interlaced coded streams looks like: http://forum.gleitz.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=66315

jdobbs
6th April 2004, 22:13
Originally posted by huesage
Just to let you know:

- DVD Rebuilder 0.31
- CCE SP 2.66 Trial
- EclCCE 1.8b

- STOMP record Now MAX
- Toshiba SD-R5112 (Maxell DVD-RW)

- Philips DVD727

This was a perfect error free, glitch free backup of "The Big Lebowski" NTSC 1:1 including extras and both versions (full & wide) on the movie with 5 passes on CCE.

Just thought i would post the sucess!

@jdobbs:

I know you are planning on allowing percentage change for different VTS but will you include stripping functions? say if I want to remove "The making of the big lebowski" which is an extra, or is the purpose of this tool to make 1:1 backups?

thanx again! I want to add every feature that any of the users find useful. But 1:1 is the first priority.

Joergen
6th April 2004, 22:40
I've used TitleSetBlanker (great tool) to remove some extras and animations that reside in their own titlesets (duh) prior to compressing with shrink. Sadly TitleSetBlanker cannot yet remove(play) based by VobID, and this could be a great feature for dvd-rb at some stage.

It could be extended to menus to remove different languages from the menus (some dvds have 500MB+ menus where half or more is unwanted languages) like on most disney dvds R2. Or if not remove, then super-destruction compression that outdoes even the still-picture system of dvdshrink. ;)

tf
6th April 2004, 22:43
You could use DVD Stripper for what you want. I use it all the time and it's rather neat :-)

-tf

Joergen
6th April 2004, 22:47
I attempted DVD Sripper but it seems to just use ifoedit and I can do the same manually (use menuedit to see which vobid to remove in a menu) but target just the stuff I want instead of the whole disc being recompiled. I'll give it another try some day.

GizmoDerMokwai
6th April 2004, 23:29
Hi, I've used DVDRB for the first time and had a problem with it. I used CCE in one click mode, avs and d2v settings as defaults. while "transcoding", cce (2.5) down't pop up and transcode in any way...

Transcoding...
-----------------
Phase I, PREPARATION started - Time: 00:58:09
- VTS_06: 1.601.642 sectors.
-- Scanning and writing .D2V file
-- 108.851/0 FRAMES/RFFS
-- Building .AVS and .ECL files
- VTS_07: 98.764 sectors.
-- 6.643/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_08: 166.190 sectors.
-- 11.197/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_09: 76.898 sectors.
-- 5.178/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_10: 183.121 sectors.
-- 12.379/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_11: 137.323 sectors.
-- 9.186/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_12: 75.946 sectors.
-- 5.093/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_13: 372.425 sectors.
-- 24.891/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_14: 26.832 sectors.
-- 2.607/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_15: 92.102 sectors.
-- 6.157/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_16: 148.411 sectors.
-- 9.946/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_18: 105.445 sectors.
-- 7.043/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- Reduction Level for DVD-5: 67,7%
- Overall Bitrate : 4.729Kbs
Phase I, PREPARATION complete - Time: 01:05:36
Phase II ENCODING started. Time: 01:05:36
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 01
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 02
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 03
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 04
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 05
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 06
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 07
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 08
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 09
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 10
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 11
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 12
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 13
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 14
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 15
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 16
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 17
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 18
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 19
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 20
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 21
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 22
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 23
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 24
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 25
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 26
- Creating M2V for VTS_07 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_08 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_09 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_10 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_11 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_12 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_13 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_14 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_15 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_16 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_18 segment 00
Phase II ENCODING complete. Time: 01:05:38
Phase III, REBUILD started - Time: 01:05:38
- Copying IFO, BUP, and unaltered files...
Remerge aborted.

Failue Notice says, that working directory is empty...

Hicky
6th April 2004, 23:45
Originally posted by GizmoDerMokwai
Hi, I've used DVDRB for the first time and had a problem with it. I used CCE in one click mode, avs and d2v settings as defaults. while "transcoding", cce (2.5) down't pop up and transcode in any way...

Transcoding...
-----------------
Phase I, PREPARATION started - Time: 00:17:13
- VTS_06: 1.139.261 sectors.
-- 108.851/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_07: 70.313 sectors.
-- 6.643/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_08: 117.725 sectors.
-- 11.197/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_09: 54.711 sectors.
-- 5.178/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_10: 130.509 sectors.
-- 12.379/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_11: 97.556 sectors.
-- 9.186/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_12: 53.693 sectors.
-- 5.093/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_13: 264.818 sectors.
-- 24.891/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_15: 65.169 sectors.
-- 6.157/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_16: 105.378 sectors.
-- 9.946/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- VTS_18: 89.757 sectors.
-- 7.043/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- Reduction Level for DVD-5: 97,5%
- Overall Bitrate : 4.818Kbs
Phase I, PREPARATION complete - Time: 00:23:21
Phase II ENCODING started. Time: 00:23:21
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 01
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 02
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 03
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 04
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 05
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 06
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 07
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 08
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 09
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 10
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 11
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 12
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 13
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 14
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 15
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 16
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 17
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 18
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 19
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 20
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 21
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 22
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 23
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 24
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 25
- Creating M2V for VTS_06 segment 26
- Creating M2V for VTS_07 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_08 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_09 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_10 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_11 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_12 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_13 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_15 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_16 segment 00
- Creating M2V for VTS_18 segment 00
Phase II ENCODING complete. Time: 00:23:23
Phase III, REBUILD started - Time: 00:23:23
- Copying IFO, BUP, and unaltered files...
Remerge aborted.

I struggeled some time with the same issue as you ...First, you have to install EcICCE (if you havent allready), run it and "show" it where cctsp.exe is, then setup DVD RB and point CCE SP 2.50 in setup to EcICCE.exe instead of cctsp.exe..

GizmoDerMokwai
7th April 2004, 01:11
ok, thx, i'll try it up...

dancis
7th April 2004, 02:12
I have a quistion about dvd-rb. I did 2 movies with dvd-rb and everything goes fine until i burn it.

On my samsung dvd player i can't select any subtitle and on a cheap dvd player their is no problem and all subtitels work.

Has this something to do with my samsung dvd player or is it a setting in one of the programs wich i should turn on or off?

I hope someone can help me!!

Joergen
7th April 2004, 02:15
You cant select a sub through the menu of the dvd itself? With dvdshrink backups I have a similar problem: If I remove the #1 sub track (usually english) I absolutely cannot choose a sub using the remote DURING the movie.. it just says OFF.. but I can still choose the right sub through the menu of the movie. So I never remove the #1 sub track.

dancis
7th April 2004, 02:20
I can select them with my remote , but they just don't work. when i turn a subtitle on with my remote they just don't show.... and when i select them in the menu it is the same.

And on a cheap player everything works fine and there is no problem.

Joergen
7th April 2004, 02:26
ok dancis there's something jdobbs can take a look at after he fixes the chapter stutter. Give as much info about the disc, how you compressed it and your player model etc. PM jdobbs if you dont want to say it in public.

jdobbs
7th April 2004, 03:13
You cant select a sub through the menu of the dvd itself? With dvdshrink backups I have a similar problem: If I remove the #1 sub track (usually english) I absolutely cannot choose a sub using the remote DURING the movie.. it just says OFF.. but I can still choose the right sub through the menu of the movie. So I never remove the #1 sub track. If there is a sub missing it wasn't removed by DVD-RB -- I leave all subs intact. SO anytime a sub problem comes up I wince... most of the time it means someone has been preprocessing with another program before running DVD-RB...

gvittoz
7th April 2004, 07:27
Yes...
Sleepy Hollow made with QUgenc now it's running and the result is very good. Thanks very...
BUT... the movie is interlaced and DVDrb find it but the bonus is progressive and DVDrb didn't found...
thats the only one probleme I have too tell you...

Thanks for all and keep going on

U977
7th April 2004, 07:48
@RB,

Just a note that I continued the discussion in the old post. Thanks! :-)

Sorry for others about going OT. I hope It also was of interest for you.

Hicky
7th April 2004, 09:13
Is this a AMD cpu issue?
I have tried several times to encode my first dvd now..
I have AMD Athlon 1.4GHz installed..

Played around a bit with different settings..
When I uncheck "AudioDub(BlankClip())", it certainly crashes at the end of the vaf pass, when I leave it checked it either freezes or crash later on, maybe the third or fourth AVS it encodes...I use differnt drives as source and working path..
My DVD RB settings:

Mode (checked):
CCE
Verbose Stutus Window
Dynamically Assign Cell Bitrates

Options:
D2V Options - Autodetect Film
AVS Options - Convert ToYUY2()
- AudioDub(BlankClip())

Setup:
I have checked the box Path MPEGDEC3DG Add to AVS File

I use:
DVD RB 0.31
Avisynth 2.54
CCE SP 2.67.00.11
EcICCE 1.8b
DVD2AVIdg
-------------------
W2K SP4
Athlon 1.4GHz
256 Meg RAM
Abit KT7A Raid

If its an AMD issue, is it a workaround for this?...

Oh I almost forgot. I´m trying to encode Forrst Gump PAL..

HarryM
7th April 2004, 12:32
How is best to set DVD-Rebuilder (with CCE 2.66) for reencoding of pure PAL DVDs (non-interlaced streams)?

Is line "ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)" in AVS script necessary at this case?

Paced
7th April 2004, 12:39
Originally posted by HarryM
How is best to set DVD-Rebuilder (with CCE 2.66) for reencoding of pure PAL DVDs (non-interlaced streams)?

Is line "ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)" in AVS script necessary at this case?

DVD-ReBuilder will set the appropriate command for you automatically; it will most likely leave out the 'interlaced=true' part for your progressive material. But, it doesn't really matter anyway, I always use ConverToYUY2(interlaced=true) even if my material is progressive.

RobertR
7th April 2004, 13:49
[B]I've used TitleSetBlanker (great tool) to remove some extras and animations that reside in their own titlesets (duh) prior to compressing with shrink. Sadly TitleSetBlanker cannot yet remove(play) based by VobID, and this could be a great feature for dvd-rb at some stage.
Please do search for VobBlanker by jsoto on DVD related forum and you might just find what you need. I must admit i'm yet to test it but users opinions are great :D

dancis
7th April 2004, 15:41
@jdobbs

I leave everthing intact , so i don't remove any subs and i had set everything like you said in the readme.

Joergen
7th April 2004, 15:51
Thanks RobertR, I'll try it out soon!

RonnyJ
7th April 2004, 17:03
Nice program... just have a couple of requests, if they're possible.

It'd be nice to have a 'pause/resume' button, although I think this has been requested already. Also, would it be possible to have an option to launch CCE at a lower task priority than normal?

rayvt
7th April 2004, 18:27
If you use eclccl (sp?), it'll run CCE at lower priority. You need to set it up first. Open ecl, which opens cce. The go to options/ecl, and click the low priority button. It'll remember it from then on.

djan
8th April 2004, 00:45
Originally posted by RonnyJ
Nice program... just have a couple of requests, if they're possible.

It'd be nice to have a 'pause/resume' button, although I think this has been requested already. Also, would it be possible to have an option to launch CCE at a lower task priority than normal?

Thanks :) To all people that want CCE to be launched in low priority, I found something interresting. Just make DVDRB low priority and all CCE launches will be low priority too.

jdobbs
8th April 2004, 03:44
I've noted the "pause" request and will implement it.

Also, while I'm typing I apologize to all for not posting a version since the morning of the 5th. I am spending a considerable amount of time going back through the code and revamping some sections to try and eliminate some of the current weaknesses. I should have another version posted in the next couple of days -- and I think (or at least hope) you'll be pleased with the result.

kbello
8th April 2004, 03:56
Please jdobbs take all time you need. Thanks for your hard work.

I found a little bug, if in the source don't exist VIDEO_TS.VOB (like as in Matrix Revolutions NTSC) the rebuilding stuck and give error 'no path' or something like that. My solution was create a 0 byte file of VIDEO_TS.VOB, but you need 'get vts sectors' with ifoedit if not you get 9 error in rebuilding.

Regards.

jdobbs
8th April 2004, 04:04
Now that's interesting. I'm not sure why it would even make a difference. I'll look at it.

kbello
8th April 2004, 04:17
A little think more, i add a 0 byte of VIDEO_TS.VOB in source directory, then get vts sectors and do all process again (prepare, encoding and rebuild) and works fine. I get error 9 when i add 0 byte file without get vts sectors.

I try put 0 byte file in source directory and only do rebuild pass again, works fine too.

HarryM
8th April 2004, 06:47
I copy Mpeg2dec3dg.dll to my Avisynth plugins directory, as as mentioned by DVD-Rebuilder installation informations.
I forget to delete (old) Mpeg2dec3.dll...! :confused:

I have actually in Avisynth directory Mpeg2dec3dg.dll and Mpeg2dec3.dll (both of them files). Which one plugins being used (automatically) for mpeg2 decoding???
Must I repeat reencoding?

WndrBr3d
8th April 2004, 08:02
So, I'm not a video expert by any means. So if I'm incorrect in this post, please feel free to correct me. :D

Tonight I tried backing up my Voyager Season 1 Box Set. Figured ~3 hours of video per disc would be a good check for DVD-RB.

The output from CCE was -very- jerky and studdery. Sorta like, it'd go back 1 frame every now and then (if that makes any sense).

To check the framerates, I:

1) opened DVD2AVI
2) selected the VOB from the decrypted DVD
3) and hit F8

DVD2AVI says the framerate is 29.970fps

I did the same with one of the M2V files output by CCE and it's framerate was 23.967fps. This strikes me as odd because I double checked the V03A.D2V created by DVD-RB and it had "Frame_Rate=29970"

I'm at a loss. Anywone have an idea??

OH, jdobbs, incase you're reading, I donated $9.05. I know, odd number, but it was all I had in my PayPal account. Again, great program! :D

DrVenkman
8th April 2004, 12:19
A little problem I got is that I tried backing up 'Black Hawk Down' R2 Pal. Now the disc itself is around 6.5 Gigs, with about 6 gigs being just the movie. I ran the 'Prepare' stage and got this;

-----------------
Phase I, PREPARATION started - Time: 12:20:21
- VTS_02: 2,878,832 sectors.
-- 207,650/0 FRAMES/RFFS
- Reduction Level for DVD-5: 41.4%
- Overall Bitrate : 1,889Kbs
Phase I, PREPARATION complete - Time: 12:25:34

Surely 1.8kbs is a bit low for a movie like BHD? So I started encoding with CCE and worked out roughly (By the file size it was so far compared to the percentage completed) that I would get about a 3-3.5gb output file.

Any suggestions?

djan
8th April 2004, 13:39
People, this thread is concerned for "Comments and Suggestions", don't post your bugs and problems here please.

DrVenkman
8th April 2004, 13:46
Sorry for posting it here - I'll copy it over to the other thread. But no, it isn't DTS - as far as I'm aware the DTS is only on the Superbit issue of the film.

SAPSTAR
8th April 2004, 14:21
Hi,

Few results for the community and jdobbs:

SUPERBIT Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon : DVDRB .31, Ecl 1.7b, CCE SP Trial (3 pass + 1 vaf) : Worked perfectly, burned with Nero without any problem. Playing flawless in my Sony DVP NS 715P.

LOONEY TUNES Back In Action : DVDRB .31, Ecl 1.7b, CCE SP Trial (3 pass + 1 vaf) : Worked perfectly, burned with Nero without any problem. Playing flawless in my Sony DVP NS 715P.

PITCH BLACK : DVDRB .31, Ecl 1.7b, CCE SP Trial (DVD Shrink to reduce the extras, then 3 pass + 1 vaf, 4 passes on extras) : Error 0004 , buffer overflow in the rebuild phase :devil: . I'll investigate tonight why. I don't think it's still frame error.

StifflerStealth
8th April 2004, 15:47
Originally posted by WndrBr3d
So, I'm not a video expert by any means. So if I'm incorrect in this post, please feel free to correct me. :D

Tonight I tried backing up my Voyager Season 1 Box Set. Figured ~3 hours of video per disc would be a good check for DVD-RB.

The output from CCE was -very- jerky and studdery. Sorta like, it'd go back 1 frame every now and then (if that makes any sense).

1) opened DVD2AVI
3) and hit F8

I did the same with one of the M2V files output by CCE and it's framerate was 23.967fps. This strikes me as odd because I double checked the V03A.D2V created by DVD-RB and it had "Frame_Rate=29970"

DVD-RB Creates 2 d2v files. one labled vo3a.d2v and the other vo3b.d2v. You need to look in the avs files to find out which one is used. For eaxample: mpeg2source("D:\DVDRECODE\D2VAVS\V01B.D2V"). The "a" file has information for 29.97 fps and the "b" file has information for 23.976 fps. It sounds like your files point to the "b" file which means dvd-rb detected it as film. If the video is truely 29.97 fps then this might be a bug in the detection which needs to be posted in the bugs section.

Stiff

jdobbs
8th April 2004, 17:05
Originally posted by WndrBr3d

1) opened DVD2AVI
3) and hit F8

OH, jdobbs, incase you're reading, I donated $9.05. I know, odd number, but it was all I had in my PayPal account. Again, great program! :D If it was marked at 23.976 that means it was a FILM source that has telecining. The AVS should point to V03B.D2V. It is normal for the framerate to read as 29.97 after pulldown has been applied (in rebuild). This will all change on the version I'm working right now. There will only be one D2V file and the rebuilt file will match exactly what was in the original.

nimbles
9th April 2004, 12:22
hey guys sorry to dredge this up again, but was just looking at a dvd-rb tutorial over on another forum (cdr-dvd base- if i'm allowed to say that), and i'm a bit confused as to how the treatment of interlaced sources work- the tutorial is for pre v31 so has got me thinking what to do for v31 as some options re: audio and interlaced sources are different.

in dvd-rb v31, what happens if you don't use the "deinterlace with decomb" options on an interlaced source?

I'm pretty sure i didn't use it the last time (did an r1 disc, turned it off- then forgot to turn it back on) but i'm not sure that it had any effect.

when you use the deinterlace with decomb, does the the ConvertToYUY2() option need to be unchecked.

Sorry for the newb questions- i'd done 4 successfully without really thinking about what all the options meant! :rolleyes:

jdobbs
9th April 2004, 14:47
Originally posted by nimbles
hey guys sorry to dredge this up again, but was just looking at a dvd-rb tutorial over on another forum (cdr-dvd base- if i'm allowed to say that), and i'm a bit confused as to how the treatment of interlaced sources work- the tutorial is for pre v31 so has got me thinking what to do for v31 as some options re: audio and interlaced sources are different.

in dvd-rb v31, what happens if you don't use the "deinterlace with decomb" options on an interlaced source?

I'm pretty sure i didn't use it the last time (did an r1 disc, turned it off- then forgot to turn it back on) but i'm not sure that it had any effect.

when you use the deinterlace with decomb, does the the ConvertToYUY2() option need to be unchecked.

Sorry for the newb questions- i'd done 4 successfully without really thinking about what all the options meant! :rolleyes: That is the goal... the options are for experts -- the defaults should always work. The only time you really need to use this is if you are planning to play your movies back on a computer because some computer players don't handle interlacing well. It "smooths" the edges of frames that result from interlacing. A television is designed to work with interlacing -- so in that case its almost always best to leave it alone.

I don't know what the guide said. Actually I'm surprised there is a "guide" for software that is still in beta. I don't think that will stay current very long.

More importantly -- you'll find that truly interlaced material isn't really that common.

party_power
9th April 2004, 15:18
Hi there!
It's my first time in this forum and I've tested the dvd-rb for some time now. It's a great program.
But i have found a little problem with the program when playing the dvd's it produce on my dvd. The problem is not video related or something like that. It has to do with showing time elapsed on the movie, when i use fast reverse then the chapters don't change and the time elapsed goes wrong.
I have tested the dvd-rb v30 and dvd-rb v31, with same results.
When i have used "shrink or IC7" then this problem not exists.
I just want to report this. Maybe others have not seen this problem, because it's not a huge problem..
Maybe the problem is just on my dvd player :)

jdobbs
9th April 2004, 15:52
Originally posted by party_power
Hi there!
It's my first time in this forum and I've tested the dvd-rb for some time now. It's a great program.
But i have found a little problem with the program when playing the dvd's it produce on my dvd. The problem is not video related or something like that. It has to do with showing time elapsed on the movie, when i use fast reverse then the chapters don't change and the time elapsed goes wrong.
I have tested the dvd-rb v30 and dvd-rb v31, with same results.
When i have used "shrink or IC7" then this problem not exists.
I just want to report this. Maybe others have not seen this problem, because it's not a huge problem..
Maybe the problem is just on my dvd player :) It could theoretically be your player -- but not likely. There was an earlier post buried somewhere in the mega-trail that mentioned this as well.

Sir Didymus
9th April 2004, 16:09
In fact the chapter and time issue has been already reported in more than one place; see for example:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73853&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

party_power
9th April 2004, 16:19
Ok. I have not read all threads yet, because im really new here.
But thanks for reply so fast..
Keep up the good work.

YaoMing11
9th April 2004, 21:56
Is there a way to set your own compression percentage in DVD-RB?
I made a 200mb sample of an original DVD and I compressed with DVD shrink and IC8. I compressed it to 60% in both so I know the full size will fit on a DVD-5. Is there a way to set 60% compress ratio for a 200mb file in DVD-RB? I'd like to compare it to IC8 and DVDshrink without encoding the whole movie.

rayvt
9th April 2004, 22:18
Do a three-phase rebuild. After the prepare phase, edit the control file (rebuilder.ecl or rebuilder.inf) and change the targert bitrate or the compression percentage, as appropriate.

The do ENCODE and REBUILD.

Knocks
10th April 2004, 00:37
Downloaded the program for the first time. What a great idea! Thanks a lot. I hope this software becomes as easy to use as DVD Shrink. We really needed an easier solution for those huge movies that Shrink couldn't handle without visible artifacts (under 75% compression). Keep up the good work.

Joergen
10th April 2004, 01:11
YaoMing: There really is no comparison.. if your compress goes below ~75% CCE is king.. And it continues to kick ass until around 35% where most material just goes below what MPEG2 can handle

edit; I have to say, I check this forum 10 times a day to see for dvd-rb progress. I havent been this excited since the first version of dvdshrink came out a year ago. :D

jdobbs
10th April 2004, 23:48
NEW DVD REBUILDER VERSION 0.39 ATTACHED

Attached is the latest version of DVD ReBuilder. I think you'll find a lot of feature requests and reported bugs addressed in this version -- I've made a lot of changes some of those are:

- Many very large changes and significant enhancements in this version.

- Implemented code that handles STILL frames. Eliminates most if not all of the "0004" error codes. Needs more testing as to how well it works.

- Corrected an error that would cause significant output undersizing when using cell-dynamic bitrate allocation.

- Fixed error in which selected AudioDub(BlankClip())was not properly working upon program load.

- Inserted code that captures and retains the original state of progressive_flag, TFF, and RFF so they can be applied exactly in the rebuild phase. Previously they had been added independently. This should assure a more accurate reproduction of the original DVD.

- Removed the "Automatic FILM" and "Force FILM" options. These were previously used to make a decision (familiar to old CCE method users) as to whether to create an output of 23.976 or 29.97 at the cell level (for either telecining or not telecining for NTSC users). DVD-RB now keeps the original frame structure intact through all three phases -- eliminating annoying conversion errors. These manifest themselves as either a combed appearance on telecined-to-standard or occasional frame jumps on standard-to-telecined conversions. Mixes of the two in the same Cell are no longer a problem. The "AutoFILM Threshold" parameter has also been removed for the same reason.

- Only one .D2V file is written now due to the two changes above so all files refer to the same .D2V. Note: All frame rates for NTSC will list in the D2V file as 23976 regardless of original -- it truly has no purpose in the new method as all frames are treated equally -- please don't change it, as CCE and other encoders can abort on illegal values.

- Encoding speeds for FILM sources should increase through MPEGDEC3DG.DLL due to a reduced complexity in the source stream. My experience is that it improves by about 15% (I went from 1.75 to 2.16). Note that non-telecined source speeds may also appear to increase on NTSC sources due to the fixed 23.976 feeder framerate -- but in reality remain the same (although the CCE "Speed:" scale will appear higher -- the "Elapsed Time:" remains the same).

- Added summary report for each PREPARE that informs you of the maximum and minimum bitrates calculated by cell. Also summarized time in minutes, high bitrate, and low bitrate (per cell) for all batch jobs.

- Fixed an error in which DVD-RB would bomb and abort if the source path is not available during startup. The problem was usually caused by setting the source path to a mountable drive that had been unmounted between DVD-RB runs.

- Fixed an error that was causing a partial frame to be present at the start of each VTS when performing a ReJig encode. The error was caused by DVD-RB's demuxing routine. It is usually seen as a greenish flash and a possible stutter at the start of a chapter.

- Added code the makes it possible to choose which VTSs you want to apply the 4:3->16:9 conversion and also the Half-D1 option. I purposely made it so it doesn't stick between encode -- nothing is more annoying than waiting 5 hours only to find out you accidently did a Half-D1 encode.

As always please post any errors you may find in the error thread and my thanks go to all the incredible beta testers for pointing out the areas most in need of improvement. jdobbs

Note: Updated on 11 April 2004
The following change was made in version 0.34

- Fixed an error in which the input resolution as specified in the IFO file was not being updated when a VTS was converted to Half-D1 and the 16:9 flag was set incorrectly (a stupid bug)

Note: Update again on 12 April 2004
The following changes were made in version 0.35

- Found and fixed an error in the audio masking routines. On certain DVDs the audio was being incorrectly removed on higher number VTSs.

- Fixed an idiotic bug that caused ReJig to get stuck in a forever loop while processing cell files.

Note: Update again on 13 April 2004
The following changes were made in version 0.36

- Added an "Advanced" option in which the "interlaced=true" parameter of ConvertToYUY2() can be disabled. Also moved the DECOMB, 4:3->16:9, and Half-D1 options into the advanced area.

- Added additional helpful data to the VTS listbox. It now tells you the size of the VTS (including menus) and the aspect ratio.

- Fixed (again) an error that was causing 16:9 flags in the IFO to not be updated correctly when using the Convert 4:3->16:9 option.

- Inserted code that does a sanity check before starting encoding to make sure the "PREPARE" pass was performed in the same mode (CCE, ReJig, QuEnc).

- Found and corrected a minor timing discrepancy associated with PTS. This may have an affect on reported chapter point "stuttering" but if is far from conclusive and work continues.

Note: Update again on 13 April 2004
The following changes were made in version 0.37

- Fixed error in which encoding was prevented by the "wrong encoder" error message.

- 0.37a fixed a bug that bombs when attempting to abort an encoding.

Note: Update on 14 April 2004
The following changes were made in version 0.38

- Added code to support "Stop/Pause" function during encode phase. If you stop an encode and then restart, you will be prompted as to whether you wish to continue after the last successful segment, or at the beginning. Please note that if you are running in "Batch" mode -- no prompt will be given and all jobs start at the beginning.

- Added the "offset_line=" to ECL files created under the "CCE SP v2.66+" option, versions 2.67 and above use this instead of "top_first=" -- note that when choosing that option both parameters will be included in the .ECL. On the Version 2.66 SP that I've tested (demo with eclCCE) it doesn't seem to hurt to have the additional parameter in the file. My wish is that they would stop changing parameters and keep upward compatibility in their ECLs.

- Added a sanity check for PREPARE phase to stop bombing when the source or destination fields are empty.

- Fixed bug that was related to sources that use Bottom Field First with CCE. The motion blur, "ghosting" and strange motion should be gone now.

Note: Update on 15 April 2004
The following changes were made in version 0.39

- Fixed a bug in which LPCM that was deselected (chosen to be removed) was not being properly removed or calculated for removal.

- Fixed an error related to field based stream processing. This should eliminate many if not all of the "Error code '9'" messages received in the PREPARE phase. A special thanks to Msc_Alex and RB for helping solve this one.

- Added an INI option making it possible to set the minimum and maximum bitrates when doing CCE VBR encoding. They are min_bitrate=nnnn and max_bitrate=nnnn (in Kbps. Example: max_bitrate=9000). Just set them under [Options] in REBUILDER.INI. No error checking is done on the numbers so take care. This should be changed only by advanced users as setting them incorrectly can seriously degrade the quality of the picture. Also note that hanging them can cause oversized or undersized output.

- Implemented new code for handling BFF sources. Instead of converting to TFF as was done in v0.38, this version duplicates the original more closely (if the source cell was bottom field first, the newly created cell will be also.

- Changed logic in batch mode so the status window isn't cleared for each job and all activity can be printed or reviewed upon completion.

A NEWER VERSION IS AVAILABLE - SEE THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD

nwg
10th April 2004, 23:57
Excellent, thanks.

StifflerStealth
11th April 2004, 00:04
Did I miss the release of v0.32? My last version Dled is v0.31.

Stiff

wmansir
11th April 2004, 00:25

Stiff

No, you didn't miss a release, even the changelog skips v0.32. Since this version contains extensive changes to the way the software operates, I assume Jdobbs kept .32 to himself while working out the major kinks.

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 00:26

Stiff No. It was a small update that I decided not to release. It exists only as a backup in a directory (just in case there is something major wrong with 0.33).

Note: Wow. I noticed when posting earlier that there were 8,303 downloads of version 0.31.

StifflerStealth
11th April 2004, 00:49
That makes scense. Nice work on v0.23! I will start an encode tonight before I go to bed.

Stiff

nwg
11th April 2004, 00:53
- Fixed an error that was causing a partial frame to be present at the start of each VTS when performing a ReJig encode. The error was caused by DVD-RB's demuxing routine. It is usually seen as a greenish flash and a possible stutter at the start of a chapter.

Is this the same stutter I was getting with CCE. I was getting the same stutter with rejig and CCE.

- Added code the makes it possible to choose which VTSs you want to apply the 4:3->16:9 conversion and also the Half-D1 option.

What benefit does this do? I know it reduces the resolution to 352 x 480/576. Does it use less disc space?

Joergen
11th April 2004, 01:06
As the spanish would say, "Excellenté!" (also doubles as a Homer Simpson quote)

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 01:25
Originally posted by nwg
Is this the same stutter I was getting with CCE. I was getting the same stutter with rejig and CCE.

What benefit does this do? I know it reduces the resolution to 352 x 480/576. Does it use less disc space? They were requests. It doesn't use less disc space as DVD-RB fills the disc -- but it can give you a better picture within the available bandwidth. When I perfect the ability to allocate different amounts of bandwidth to extras and main movie it will be a way to get a decent picture out of the extras at a very low bitrate. The 16:9 from 4:3 converter is meant to deal with letterboxed (widescreen) movies that are in fact 4:3 with black borders at the top and bottom. It will turn it into a 16:9 anamorphic copy.

I use that feature occasionally because I simply hate playing 4:3 movies on my high-definition 16:9 television, and the "zoom" feature of DVDs and TVs can suck pretty badly... so I put there for convenience.

Rombaldi
11th April 2004, 01:33
The 16:9 from 4:3 converter is meant to deal with letterboxed (widescreen) movies that are in fact 4:3 with black borders at the top and bottom. It will turn it into a 16:9 anamorphic copy.

el Stupido question here... can I (safely?) assume that when doing that, that the resultant encoded MPEG2 stream will have the 16:9 flag set and the appro entries in the IFO changed as well?? (I leave the potential insanity of a 16:9 video in the same VTS as a 4:3 menu without an alternate subpicture for the menu as something better not said).

Joergen
11th April 2004, 01:34
Amazing stuff!

jdobbs: If I may suggest, you could make the half-d1 automatic if it seems a title goes dangerously low in bitrate when the user fiddles around with the bitrate balance. Or perhaps at least a suggestion box saying ".. bitrate is very low for this item, do you want to half-d1 it" etc.

A similar suggestion box might do well for the anamorphic compression stating that it's "..only for converting a RARE letterbox 4:3 movie to true 16:9 and should not be applied to 2.35:1 anamorphic" that also has "black bars", ie check if the title is already marked 16:9 perhaps.

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 01:39
Originally posted by Rombaldi
el Stupido question here... can I (safely?) assume that when doing that, that the resultant encoded MPEG2 stream will have the 16:9 flag set and the appro entries in the IFO changed as well?? (I leave the potential insanity of a 16:9 video in the same VTS as a 4:3 menu without an alternate subpicture for the menu as something better not said). Yes. If you make this selection, the video is tagged at 16:9 and the IFO flag is set during the REBUILD.

nwg
11th April 2004, 01:39
The 16:9 from 4:3 converter is meant to deal with letterboxed (widescreen) movies that are in fact 4:3 with black borders at the top and bottom. It will turn it into a 16:9 anamorphic copy.

Thanks for the reply.

Wow, I like that.

I have The Thing and X Files: The Movie which are non anamorphic 16:9. I will have to try that with those ones.

I also can see why the Half D1 maybe useful for extras.

BTW, with Master and Commander the overall percentage was 49% and came out at 3.7GB. It is now 59% (both DTS and DD included). It looks like the undersizing bug is fixed.

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 01:42
Amazing stuff!

jdobbs: If I may suggest, you could make the half-d1 automatic if it seems a title goes dangerously low in bitrate when the user fiddles around with the bitrate balance. Or perhaps at least a suggestion box saying ".. bitrate is very low for this item, do you want to half-d1 it" etc.

A similar suggestion box might do well for the anamorphic compression stating that it's "..only for converting a RARE letterbox 4:3 movie to true 16:9 and should not be applied to 2.35:1 anamorphic" that also has "black bars", ie check if the title is already marked 16:9 perhaps. Actually I had another resizer that can take a 2.35:1 movie and make it into a 16:9 -- but I pulled it out because... well... it's sacrilege.

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 01:46
Originally posted by nwg
Thanks for the reply.

Wow, I like that.

I have The Thing and X Files: The Movie which are non anamorphic 16:9. I will have to try that with those ones.

BTW, with Master and Commander the overall percentage was 49% and came out at 3.7GB. It is now 59% (both DTS and DD included). It looks like the undersizing bug is fixed. Something I forgot to mention because it was obvious to me... but maybe not to everyone... These options won't work with ReJig because it doesn't reencode.

Joergen
11th April 2004, 01:48
Yes I remember how one of the most nagging request for dvdshrink in the early days were resolution conversions (and of course it cant cause its a transcoder, well not without losing all quality at the same time!). DVD-RB will kick hiney in this department aswell.

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 01:49
Originally posted by nwg
Thanks for the reply.

Wow, I like that.

BTW, with Master and Commander the overall percentage was 49% and came out at 3.7GB. It is now 59% (both DTS and DD included). It looks like the undersizing bug is fixed. Good. That bug took me forever to find -- and of course it was something simple. In my calculations I was adding the RFF flags to the frame count to get frames-per-second -- but was sometimes doing it twice.

Rombaldi
11th April 2004, 01:54
Yes. If you make this selection, the video is tagged at 16:9 and the IFO flag is set during the REBUILD.

Execccccccllent.... MST3K: The Movie, here I come..

now, when you can do PAL>NTSC......

(ducks and runs for the nearest cave...)

nwg
11th April 2004, 02:00
Good. That bug took me forever to find -- and of course it was something simple. In my calculations I was adding the RFF flags to the frame count to get frames-per-second -- but was sometimes doing it twice.

I haven't finished the encoding yet but, I am optimistic that it will be ok.

Edit - it tuned out at 4.31GB :)

Joergen
11th April 2004, 02:00
Of course PAL users dont need conversions cause NTSC movies show happily on their players thanks to RGB PAL60 (only diff you will notice are a few less horizontal lines like NTSC has, and in case of videogames slightly faster framerate). If a PAL user has a pre 1985 TV that doesnt support PAL60.. let him not watch the damn movie! ;)

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 02:04
Execccccccllent.... MST3K: The Movie, here I come..

now, when you can do PAL>NTSC......

(ducks and runs for the nearest cave...) As you mentioned, though, if the original has a menu in the main VTS or BOV, it's better to leave it unchecked. Most of the time on those movies though, the menus are in the VTS_XX_0.VOB, which is left untouched by DVD-RB.

I could to PAL to NTSC and back... AVISYNTH can do anything.

Joergen
11th April 2004, 02:07
Say I actually have an idea that somebody might find useful:

Have the option for a third path for rebuild phase. Ie I have two HD's and like to do HD->HD work with large files (cause its twice as fast naturally). So when I set the working path to the second HD, it would be great to then recompile the compressed m2v back to the first HD again where the source path lies in a different dir (unless processing the source vobs for audio/subs makes this redundant).

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 02:11
Say I actually have an idea that somebody might find useful:

Have the option for a third path for rebuild phase. Ie I have two HD's and like to do HD->HD work with large files (cause its twice as fast naturally). So when I set the working path to the second HD, it would be great to then recompile the compressed m2v back to the first HD again where the source path lies in a different dir (unless processing the source vobs for audio/subs makes this redundant). When rebuilding both the M2Vs and the original VTSs are providing input (video from the M2Vs and audio/subpictures from the VTS). So you'd still be competing for usage on one or the other... unless of course you used the same drive for phases 1 and 2 and then rebuilt to a 2nd drive. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much time you will save overall -- rebuilding really doesn't take that long.

DDogg
11th April 2004, 02:17
When I perfect the ability to allocate different amounts of bandwidth to extras and main movie it will be a way to get a decent picture out of the extras at a very low bitrate. You may want to grab a copy of "Good Fences" when you start this next phase of BR allocation. This movie could be an iron plated rascal to do. 4:3, full NTSC interlace, 5 freaking trailers of the same spec. The movie alone is going to need 3742 kbps just to do a Q32 equiv. I have not broken it apart yet, but I'm thinking going 1/2D1 on the trailers is the only thing that is going to free up enough available BR to swing it. Btw, love the new structure and log:

-----------------
Phase I, PREPARATION started at 19:36:36
- VTS_01: 3,244,391 sectors.
-- Processed 213,468 frames.
- VTS_02: 237,077 sectors.
-- Processed 16,747 frames.
- VTS_03: 199,497 sectors.
-- Processed 15,186 frames.
- VTS_04: 239,946 sectors.
-- Processed 18,271 frames.
- VTS_05: 38,852 sectors.
-- Processed 2,980 frames.
- VTS_08: 43,985 sectors.
-- Processed 3,372 frames.
- Reduction Level for DVD-5: 50.0%
- Overall Bitrate : 2,365Kbs
- HIGH/LOW Cell Bitrates: 2,432/500 Kbs
Phase I, PREPARATION completed in 5 minutes.originally posted by jdobbs
Actually I had another resizer that can take a 2.35:1 movie and make it into a 16:9 -- but I pulled it out because... well... it's sacrilege. Yeah, well I wish you had left it in. Those that think it, don't have to use it. They can just squint their eyes instead and bask in the warm feelingez of being non sacriligiousez.:rolleyes:

Joergen
11th April 2004, 02:22
I need not squint my eyes on my 32" 16:9 sony wega and it's not even "that big" nor expensive ;) And these days many players tend to have several levels of "zoom" that does the same thing basically.

But I do understand the plight of those 4:3 users.

EDIT: I mean to ask something.

jdobbs: It was unclear from the changelog (countless hours of work again and all appreciated to the most!) if you had ideas for the stuttering some were having or if you did changes that might eliminate it. I've not had stuttering since 0.31 though with CCE.

DDogg
11th April 2004, 03:16
Originally posted by jdobbs- Only one .D2V file is written now due to the two changes above so all files refer to the same .D2V. Note: All frame rates for NTSC will list in the D2V file as 23976 regardless of original -- it truly has no purpose in the new method as all frames are treated equally -- please don't change it, as CCE and other encoders can abort on illegal values.
I don't get this yet and could use some help understanding. If my source is 29.97 NTSC Interlaced how can the d2v be showing 23.976 and provide the proper information? Are you actually decrementing? Or, are you saying these new method d2v are now specific only to dvd-rb and can't be used for anything else? I'm trying to use the dvd-rb created d2vs to do bitrate projection which depends on knowing the framerate :confused:

djkilla
11th April 2004, 03:23
Looks like this program is making waves. I heard about it at the http://www.altbinariesdvdr.net/ and thought I'd try it out. I have two questions before trying my first DVD.

1) Under 'Mode', what does 'Dynamically Assign Cell Bitrates' do?

2) Under 'Options' and 'Setup', I set the path to MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL. What does the check box 'Add To AVS File' do?

Thanks in advance to *everyone* that helps!

-D j K i l l a-

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 04:03
Originally posted by DDogg
I don't get this yet and could use some help understanding. If my source is 29.97 NTSC Interlaced how can the d2v be showing 23.976 and provide the proper information? Are you actually decrementing? Or, are you saying these new method d2v are now specific only to dvd-rb and can't be used for anything else? I'm trying to use the dvd-rb created d2vs to do bitrate projection which depends on knowing the framerate :confused: No I'm not decrementing. Every single frame is being processed end-to-end. But, if you watched a 29.97fps portion it will appear to be slowed down. Essentially I'm saying a frame is a frame.

The idea is that if I record the flags and ignore the rate (make it constant), and then reinsert the flags verbatim on rebuild, I will have a perfect representation of the original (even if it changes to and from telecine every few GOPs -- as some do). I set the framerate back to its correct value at REBUILD also. The only thing that is preserved in the .D2V is TFF -- just to make sure I don't get field shift during encoding.

One big advantage is speed. I've noticed that by taking "Force FILM" out of the equation for FILM sources I can increase the encoder rate significantly.

If you'd like I can still create the original .D2Vs also, it's a couple of lines of code change.

You'll also notice a new file in the directory that ends with .FLG -- it holds the progressive_flag, TFF, and RFF flags for each frame in temporal order. Bits 2,1, and 0 represent progressive_flag, TFF, and RFF respectively.

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 04:12
Originally posted by djkilla
Looks like this program is making waves. I heard about it at the http://www.altbinariesdvdr.net/ and thought I'd try it out. I have two questions before trying my first DVD.

1) Under 'Mode', what does 'Dynamically Assign Cell Bitrates' do?

2) Under 'Options' and 'Setup', I set the path to MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL. What does the check box 'Add To AVS File' do?

Thanks in advance to *everyone* that helps!

-D j K i l l a-

1. Dynamically assign cell bitrates analyzes the original stream and gives more bandwidth to cells that needed more in the original encode. If you don't check it, the same average bitrate will be used for the entire set of Cells -- it is debatable how much difference it makes. But I think you are probably always better off settting it on.

2. If you correctly configure MPEG2DEC3DG.DLL by inserting in the plugins directory of AVISYNTH -- you shouldn't need to use this at all. But some 3rd party software has a habit of changing the registry pointer to the plugin directory -- and that can make DVD-RB (and every other AVISYNTH related package for that matter) fail to find a plugin. Setting the path here and checking the box adds a line to every .AVS file that specifically spells out an entire path to the plugin.

donny74
11th April 2004, 04:15
Thanks Jdobbs, I definitely noticed the speed increase when encoding. I'm currently backing up my Two Towers_ext 3rd disk which contains tons of "stills" and was unsuccessful during rebuild in v0.31. My encoding speed has gone up from 2.75 in v0.31 to 3.25+ in v0.33. If you can implement any other type of speed boosts that would awesome. As usual keep up the fabulous work . I'll let you know if rebuilding this DVD works in v0.33 or not.

Update: Well v0.33 is getting alot farther along then the previous version. I got the error #0004 at 85% mark of rebuilding w/ v0.31.

With v0.33 this is how far I got before I got that same error:
Movie: LOTR: The Two Towers Extended Disc 3
ECLCCE 1.8B CCE 2.67.0.23

Progress: V06068600687001.M2V
Overall: 100.0%

Updating information in NAVPACKS...
Rebuilding segment 686 VOBID:687 CELLID:1

DVD-RB Error

"DVD Rebuilder experienced a buffer overflow. Error #0004.Process must abort"
"Stop statement encountered"

I was certain this was going to be a successful rebuild but it gave that error at the 100% completion mark of rebuilding...

Jdobbs if you have this DVD can you try it and see if you get the same error? Has anyone been able to back up this DVD? Thanks in advance.

Joergen
11th April 2004, 04:49
jdobbs: I noticed the encode button now says Pause instead of Abort? Can we now pause.. reboot and continue at any time from the last completed section? (this is the dream).

I guess you forgot to mention it in the changelog.

philos31
11th April 2004, 10:22
JDobbs: First of all, great job, I am allready converting a 4:3 DVD 2 16:9, this was something I wanted for a long time.

But now a question, and maybe it's a stupid question, but the again I am used to be called stupid :)

As RB is now not only a backup tool, but starting to get more and more a conversion tool also, would it be possible to also convert NTSC -> PAL and PAL -> NTSC.

If so, could you put it on the bottom of your list, you know, the 216 pages list with requests :D

nimbles
11th April 2004, 13:39
hey nice work jdobbs- i take it you've spent your easter "hols" doing this? Thanks! its very greatly appreciated.

Is the 4:3->16:9 conversion assuming that the 16:9 picture has only black bars top and bottom, this copy of goodfellas i have has additional bars on either side, so i'm guessing if i ran it through your 16:9 converter i'd end up with a picture with a far smaller border (but a border never the less)

I mean once i crop the black bars top, bottom, left and right, i'm left with 660x376 and the picture isn't even properly centred so my resize filter looks like this:
LanczosResize(720,576,24,102,672,384)- (assuming i need to keep the dimensions of the picture thats cropped multiples of 16?)

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 13:58
Originally posted by nimbles
hey nice work jdobbs- i take it you've spent your easter "hols" doing this? Thanks! its very greatly appreciated.

Is the 4:3->16:9 conversion assuming that the 16:9 picture has only black bars top and bottom, this copy of goodfellas i have has additional bars on either side, so i'm guessing if i ran it through your 16:9 converter i'd end up with a picture with a far smaller border (but a border never the less)

I mean once i crop the black bars top, bottom, left and right, i'm left with 660x376 and the picture isn't even properly centred so my resize filter looks like this:
LanczosResize(720,576,24,102,672,384)- (assuming i need to keep the dimensions of the picture thats cropped multiples of 16?) The original had borders of 24 on each side??? That is really kludged up... is this a factory disc?

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 14:00
Also -- if you are doing resizing, please download 0.34 (just posted). I made a masking error in 0.33 and was misconfiguring the IFO file. It only matters in the REBUILD, so no one should have to run a lengthy job all over again.

nimbles
11th April 2004, 14:07
The original had borders of 24 on each side??? That is really kludged up... is this a factory disc?

yup its a retail disc- goodfellas (r2, pal) i think was the first ever dvd i bought- flipper, single layered, the rubbishest case you have ever seen, and a load of bumf on the back about how great the extras were, all there was scene selection, and a couple of stills explaining the careers of the main actors/ director in the film :D

hopefull there is a remastered single sided version on the way soon :rolleyes: fingers crossed.

worst thing is from experimenting it seems the picture isn't even centred correctly :eek:

man these holywood studios have come along way!! :D

psdos
11th April 2004, 14:52
why RB v0.33 only give me warning in ilvu film and RB v0.34 say me dont support this options?

rui
11th April 2004, 15:01
jdobbs: I noticed the encode button now says Pause instead of Abort? Can we now pause.. reboot and continue at any time from the last completed section? (this is the dream).

I guess you forgot to mention it in the changelog.

Oh, version .34 now says ABORT :(

Oh well, when it's ready (the pause possibility), it' ready.

Good work :)

quantum
11th April 2004, 15:19
@jdobbs - I think we could all benefit from a separate read-only (or locked) thread (preferrably sticky) where you could post the latest info about updates and whatever else you feel is news-worthy.

Joergen
11th April 2004, 15:49
Or just change the topic of the original "one click beta." thread to include the latest number.

I'm just about to burn my latest 3pass encode. Toes crossed (fingers are operating the computer)!

nwg
11th April 2004, 15:56
I also think there shold be a locked FAQ thread. I keep seeing the same questions again and again.

Things like why does it only take a few seconds - not using eclCCE and why does it show only 2 passes when I select 3 - counts the VAF as a pass etc.

djan
11th April 2004, 15:58
Originally posted by nwg
I also think there shold be a locked FAQ thread. I keep seeing the same questions again and again.

Things like why does it only take a few seconds - not using eclCCE and why does it show only 2 passes when I select 3 - counts the VAF as a pass etc. Are you using CCE Basic ?

auszeus
11th April 2004, 16:29
Where is version 34, when you click the download link you get the April 10, 33 version ??

nwg
11th April 2004, 16:34
Try deleting your cache or try another browser. I had the same problem with Firebird browser, I kept getting the old version. I used IE browser and it worked.

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 16:52
Originally posted by rui
Oh, version .34 now says ABORT :(

Oh well, when it's ready (the pause possibility), it' ready.

Good work :) Whoops... I was working that and decide it wasn't ready to post... I forgot to change the caption back!

Rombaldi
11th April 2004, 18:19
The original had borders of 24 on each side??? That is really kludged up... is this a factory disc?

It's not necessarly wrong. Some films are not EXACTLY 16:9, for instance some Disney's are 1.66:1 instead of 1.85:1 (16:9) which
WILL give you (roughly) a 24 pixel 'gutter' on each side. DON'T REMOVE THEM else you end up with people stretched WIDE.

Assorted aspects ratios (but they ALL have to fit in a 16:9 'hole' when being anamorphized on a DVD, so additional black bars WILL happen on anything but 1.85:1).

Cinerama - 3.0:1, 2.77:1, 2.75:1, and 2.59:1
VistaVision - 1.96:1, 1.85:1, and 1.66:1
Todd-AO -2.35:1 and 2.20:1
Ultra Panavision 70 - 2.76:1
Panavision - 2.35:1 and 1.85:1
Super 35 -2.35:1

ADDENDUM: The only thing I can think of that you might want to add/modify to the 4:3 > 16:9 logic is a 'fine' adjustment that let's you slide the 16:9 'window' up/down to compensate for discs that may not have the actual picture 'centered' in the 4:3 frame, (ie. instead of cropping 60 from the top/bottom, it needs to be cropped 58/62) or you have a 2.35:1 picture and you crop to the 'top' of the 16:9 window and have one black bar at the bottom vs top/bottom (nice place for subtitles to go..) so instead of 60/60 you crop 120/0

Oldeman
11th April 2004, 18:49
How about an option to save/print the status log on errors ie 4,5 9 etc.

If you are running minimized, and get the error all is lost. Maybe thaere is a way to recover log?

For your debugging info.

Thaks for almost great program. It getting there.

Happy Easter...

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 18:57
It's not necessarly wrong. Some films are not EXACTLY 16:9, for instance some Disney's are 1.66:1 instead of 1.85:1 (16:9) which
WILL give you (roughly) a 24 pixel 'gutter' on each side. DON'T REMOVE THEM else you end up with people stretched WIDE.

Assorted aspects ratios (but they ALL have to fit in a 16:9 'hole' when being anamorphized on a DVD, so additional black bars WILL happen on anything but 1.85:1).

Cinerama - 3.0:1, 2.77:1, 2.75:1, and 2.59:1
VistaVision - 1.96:1, 1.85:1, and 1.66:1
Todd-AO -2.35:1 and 2.20:1
Ultra Panavision 70 - 2.76:1
Panavision - 2.35:1 and 1.85:1
Super 35 -2.35:1

ADDENDUM: The only thing I can think of that you might want to add/modify to the 4:3 > 16:9 logic is a 'fine' adjustment that let's you slide the 16:9 'window' up/down to compensate for discs that may not have the actual picture 'centered' in the 4:3 frame, (ie. instead of cropping 60 from the top/bottom, it needs to be cropped 58/62) or you have a 2.35:1 picture and you crop to the 'top' of the 16:9 window and have one black bar at the bottom vs top/bottom (nice place for subtitles to go..) so instead of 60/60 you crop 120/0 There is never a good reason for 48 pixels being removed from the sides. The width should be fixed and the height adjusted for other resolutions. Good suggestion.

Knocks
11th April 2004, 19:06
Tried the latest version and still got buffer overflow #0004 at the beginning of Stage III (copying unmodified files). Will be patiently waiting as the work progresses.

JDay
11th April 2004, 20:07
I tried the deinterlace option on a film source (detected as ntsc interlace by dvd2avi) and on a television video source. FieldDeinterlace() looked fine on the video source but caused "ghosting" on the film source. I edited the avs's to FieldDeinterlace(blend=false) and this fixed the ghosting on the film source (looks the same as with telecide), with no noticable difference on the video source. Maybe set blend to false as default or put a toggle in the options screen?

Stive
11th April 2004, 20:19
Sorry...wrong thread

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 22:26
Originally posted by JDay
I tried the deinterlace option on a film source (detected as ntsc interlace by dvd2avi) and on a television video source. FieldDeinterlace() looked fine on the video source but caused "ghosting" on the film source. I edited the avs's to FieldDeinterlace(blend=false) and this fixed the ghosting on the film source (looks the same as with telecide), with no noticable difference on the video source. Maybe set blend to false as default or put a toggle in the options screen? I personally almost never deinterlace, so I'm not the expert there -- is that generally the setting everyone uses? If so that's an easy fix.

nwg
11th April 2004, 23:11
I have just made the first release of The X Files(non anamorphic 2.35:1) movie into anamorphic 2.35:1.

It has worked really well and so easy to do. I have never been able to do it before. It has coped with the menus as well.

jdobbs
11th April 2004, 23:17
Originally posted by nwg
I have just made the first release of The X Files(non anamorphic 2.35:1) movie into anamorphic 2.35:1.

It has worked really well and so easy to do. I have never been able to do it before. It has coped with the menus as well. Cool.

quantum
11th April 2004, 23:21
I would use blend=false every time on fielddeinterlace. Otherwise it can produce the ghosting effect which is an overlay (blend) of two frames. With blend=false you end up with duplicated (not blended) frames which looks okay when played for some reason.

All the more reason to hide this feature. It adds complexity, possibly introduces video probelms, slows encoding, and doesn't do anything useful. Except maybe fix a specific TFF/BFF issue? Unsure about that one.

bobwillis
11th April 2004, 23:28
Hi jdobbs,

Just looking at a recent rebuilder.ecl file, and I see: seq_endcode=0, it was regarded amongst us DVD2DVD guys, that the recommended setting was seq_encode=1; I just wondered if it would help with the stuttering issues (just a guess).

Regards,
Bob

JDay
11th April 2004, 23:36
All the more reason to hide this feature. It adds complexity, possibly introduces video probelms, slows encoding, and doesn't do anything useful. Except maybe fix a specific TFF/BFF issue? Unsure about that one.

I've been using QuEnc which seems to produce progressive output regardless of input. The deinterlacing fixes this issue until QuEnc encodes interlaced material.

DDogg
12th April 2004, 01:27
The idea is that if I record the flags and ignore the rate (make it constant), and then reinsert the flags verbatim on rebuild, I will have a perfect representation of the original (even if it changes to and from telecine every few GOPs -- as some do). I set the framerate back to its correct value at REBUILD also. The only thing that is preserved in the .D2V is TFF -- just to make sure I don't get field shift during encoding. I would be fibbing if I said I really get this, especially on pure ntsc interlace, but it does not really matter as it works as advertised (damn well so far). Congrats on a new concept. As to creating a conventional d2vs, seems unneeded as they still allow accurate prediction which again I don't quite get, but it works.

I have some data for you:

Source 720x480 ntsc interlaced from "Good Fences"

All trailers combined and sampled seems to show, duh, that 1/2 D1 takes exactly half the bitrate to hold same quality. You might want to play with halving the bitrate on any 1/2D1 and banking the reserve back over to the main. Maybe just for the hell of it to see if you can maintain size control. That would nearly be too simple, wouldn't it? Results for 56,556 frames:

Q32 derived bitrate, full res - 3598 kbps
Q32 derived bitrate, 1/2D1 - 1790 kbps

dancis
12th April 2004, 01:53
with v0.34 i am getting a runtime error '9': subscript out of range everytime.

what am i doing wrong?? never had this problem with the previous versions

quantum
12th April 2004, 02:05
I would be fibbing if I said I really get this, especially on pure ntsc interlace, but it does not really matter as it works as advertised (damn well so far). Congrats on a new concept. As to I don't get it myself, but if this works, it's big. Really big. Problems with telecided and mixed interlaced / telecided video has been a big nagging issue with going the CCE route from the beginning. Most of the time you don't even know you have a problem until you see jerky movement in the middle of your otherwise perfect backup. This has driven me to use transcoders in many cases since that way you avoid the risk of telecide and field order problems. Hats off to jdobbs and I hope he really has spun some magic to fix all this.

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 02:05
Originally posted by bobwillis
Hi jdobbs,

Just looking at a recent rebuilder.ecl file, and I see: seq_endcode=0, it was regarded amongst us DVD2DVD guys, that the recommended setting was seq_encode=1; I just wondered if it would help with the stuttering issues (just a guess).

Regards,
Bob Actually it was recently changed to 0 after someone else advised that having it set to 1 could be the cause...

I'm pretty confident 0 is right...

DDogg
12th April 2004, 02:06
dancis, this thread is for comments and suggestions. I think you would get a better result if you would post in the bug report (+30) thread and give details like:

Source - What title and region, ntsc or pal? How ripped? File mode or mounted ISO. Encoder used? Post log. See the first page of the bug report thread for a list of things jdobbs asked for. Good luck with your problem.

quantum
12th April 2004, 02:08
@jdobbs: I think we're getting ready to let you start working on the interleaved multi-angle stuff :-)

My Matrix 1 disk is sitting on the shelf eagerly waiting to be tested.

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 02:10
I would be fibbing if I said I really get this, especially on pure ntsc interlace, but it does not really matter as it works as advertised (damn well so far). Congrats on a new concept. As to creating a conventional d2vs, seems unneeded as they still allow accurate prediction which again I don't quite get, but it works.

I have some data for you:

Source 720x480 ntsc interlaced from "Good Fences"

All trailers combined and sampled seems to show, duh, that 1/2 D1 takes exactly half the bitrate to hold same quality. You might want to play with halving the bitrate on any 1/2D1 and banking the reserve back over to the main. Maybe just for the hell of it to see if you can maintain size control. That would nearly be too simple, wouldn't it? Results for 56,556 frames:

Q32 derived bitrate, full res - 3598 kbps
Q32 derived bitrate, 1/2D1 - 1790 kbps Hey -- that's good information to know! Maybe I'll add a single setting that makes all extras Half-D1 and gives all that extra bandwidth to the movie.

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 02:12
@jdobbs: I think we're getting ready to let you start working on the interleaved multi-angle stuff :-)

My Matrix 1 disk is sitting on the shelf eagerly waiting to be tested. The next release will support BOV... then I'll get started on interleaving.

DDogg
12th April 2004, 02:28
Originally posted by jdobbs -
Hey -- that's good information to know! Maybe I'll add a single setting that makes all extras Half-D1 and gives all that extra bandwidth to the movie. Yeah, might be a good first iteration when you are in playing around mode. Couple of convolutions occur to me - ISpy=16:9 and 4:3, plus the trailers - Would be useful for "Video Title Sets" window to show AR and length. Maybe allow a right click "Boost Bitrate" for VTS_X or Xs? Everything else gets 1/2D1 with bitrate halved with bitrate balance distributed to selected Boost/s. That last just a thought that popped up, dunno if workable for you.

quantum
12th April 2004, 02:57
I would still prefer to lower the extra's bitrate by softening, or blurring. You can accomplish this by reducing the low pass filter in CCE or use the avisynth blur feature. You can then lower the bitrate to whatever you want, and the output will be nearly identical to half d1 without any worries of incompatibility.

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 03:12
I would still prefer to lower the extra's bitrate by softening, or blurring. You can accomplish this by reducing the low pass filter in CCE or use the avisynth blur feature. You can then lower the bitrate to whatever you want, and the output will be nearly identical to half d1 without any worries of incompatibility. What settings would give you comparable bitrate settings? I'd like to try it. (AVISYNTH and CCE)

Stive
12th April 2004, 03:36
Hi jdobbs,

Regards,
Bob

I'm desparate. Is this something I can change? If so, where and how? I've been unable to get away from the chapter stutter.

Nevermind...I found the file and will try it?

wmansir
12th April 2004, 03:39
I would still prefer to lower the extra's bitrate by softening, or blurring. You can accomplish this by reducing the low pass filter in CCE or use the avisynth blur feature. You can then lower the bitrate to whatever you want, and the output will be nearly identical to half d1 without any worries of incompatibility.

If you test this method out (compared to half-d1) please be sure to include interlaced material. I find Half-D1 perticularly useful on it (and a most featurette/extras are interlaced).

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 03:41
Originally posted by Stive
I'm desparate. Is this something I can change? If so, where and how? I've been unable to get away from the chapter stutter.

Nevermind...I found the file and will try it? It won't help. Go back and look at it a couple versions ago and it was set to 1...

quantum
12th April 2004, 03:41
For CCE, under the quality button, reduce the low pass filter from 8 (default) to 4. For some reason lower is stronger. This softens the video and 4 is fairly strong. You can get away with 1500 bitrate with this and get watchable video. I don't know if this number compares exactly with half d1, but I remember spending several hours and figuring out you can achieve the same end result this way.

To do it with avisynth, add blur(1) or double it this way:
blur(1)
blur(1)

You can't do blur(2)

While all this is entertaining to experiment with, it's probably better to just encode in CCE the regular way even at 1500. This way you get sharp video for low motion scenes, like interviews, and you get some blocks in high motion scenes. The other way (either half d1 or softened), you get everything blurry.

Still, options are nice. Some people prefer soft video with fewer macro blocks, so I'd be in favor of allowing both techniques.

DDogg
12th April 2004, 03:48
Originally posted by quantum -
I would still prefer to lower the extra's bitrate by softening, or blurring. You can accomplish this by reducing the low pass filter in CCE or use the avisynth blur feature. You can then lower the bitrate to whatever you want, and the output will be nearly identical to half d1 without any worries of incompatibility. Compression filters introduce much complexity for the in-experienced user, plus it is a religious issue. I had thought about asking jdobbs to consider a temporary and hidden INI item to trigger an import line to import a users personal choice of compression filters. Doing it manually is an awful grind.

From a personal standpoint, I agree [edit-change] compression filters can be useful, but I've got a feeling it might be contrary to the dvd-rb target design. Maybe jdobbs could comment on that if he has time.

I've got some good fresh data on this subject using the Undot() and Deen() combo, but don't want to start anything way OT -- Just consider an FYI -
56,556 frames 4:3 True Interlaced
Q32 derived bitrate, full res - 3598 kbps Original rate
Q32 derived bitrate, full res w/filters - 2923 kbps 19% total reduction
Q32 derived bitrate, 1/2D1 - 1790 kbps 50% total reduction
Q32 derived bitrate, 1/2D1 w/filters - 1645 kbps 54% total reduction

Stive
12th April 2004, 03:55
It won't help. Go back and look at it a couple versions ago and it was set to 1...

Ok. Thanks. I'll try something else.

[BMC]
12th April 2004, 05:16
Thanks for adding the field deinterlacing option. If possible could you modify it to add (blend=false) and/or use tomsmocomp.

Redbacks
12th April 2004, 09:13

I'd really appreciate this feature. This program, (DVD-RB) is by far the best little tool in my tool bag. Keep up the great work. Greatly appreciated by those still learning :)

philos31
12th April 2004, 10:22

Yes Please, I allready asked this one time, but felt stupid to ask...
But I think this will be a lot of work, with 3:2 pullback, and the audio conversion etc.... :scared:
But, if you are up to it, I would appreciate it....

PS: Going to donate today,(Not only for the NTSC->PAL conv.) The Program is now stable enough for me to do some real work with it...
So I think you have the right to some of my money ;)

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 12:30
A new version (0.35) has been posted with a couple of bug fixes. See the first message of this thread.

Please also note, that per a suggestion I am changing the title of this thread each time I post an update so you can easily see it from the "One Click DVD backup solutions" page.

Stive
12th April 2004, 12:53
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jdobbs
[B]A new version (0.35) has been posted with a couple of bug fixes. See the first message of this thread.

Tried to download it, but says invalid attachment.:(

philos31
12th April 2004, 13:00
Yup, get the same message:

Invalid attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

Mr Magic
12th April 2004, 13:08
When I try to download 0.35 I get the 0.34 ZIP file :)

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 14:16
DOH!!! Sorry, dumb-ass mistake. I hadn't validated the attachment yet. I guess it was working for me because I'm a moderator. It should work now.

smlong426
12th April 2004, 14:24
I'll encode a movie right now and let you know how it goes. I'm very curious to see if the chapter point flutter/stutter goes away.

digitlman
12th April 2004, 15:00
hi jdobbs, great app! very nice work. i guess my doom9 account died from lack of posting so i had to wait 5 days for this one to work to post, but it looks like u already fixed the source path bomb i was going to tell you about.

so i do have a very important and very simple to add feature request. i have been doing dvd authoring work for years ever since the first S201 burner came out. and the most important thing i have noticed about working with dvd's is that you must ALWAYS be reading and writing from one drive to another. in my case i have several scsi cheetah raid arrays i always read from one and write to another. theres nothing worse then hearing a paid raidset reading and writing 4 gigs of data to itself!.

So plz add a seperate output directory in your next version.

thanks and keep up the great work!

unplugged
12th April 2004, 16:11
I have some suggestions:
- maybe important to include MPEG2Dec3dg.dll, great quality and fast decoder
- add "idct=7" *by default* for mpeg2source into avisynth scripts (instead to leave blank and invoke old iDCT code)
- give possibility to add TemporalSoften(4,2,2,scenechange=15,mode=2) (before ConvertToYUY2 of course) that improves
quality and compression with almost any DVD without minimal ghost artifact (try yourself!) or detail loss
- possibility to compress all menu/extras with a fixed Q value (to be set by user with relatively high value) instead to use bitrate based concept, then auto-calc movie bitrate...

Last but not least I found that DVD-RB sets "interlaced=true" with ConvertToYUY2 if it detects interlaced structure in movie stream.
This is a little painful issue discussed and most of times DVD marked as interlaced have perfectly combed fields as progressive ones.
So, "ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)" can easely (most times) mess up and disalign chroma and luma channel.
I suggest to leave this flag to user, at least for main movie.

[Edit]
Avoiding this means also not using CCE in interlaced mode, with progressive flag and zigzag-scan-order activated in my latest test CCE gives better results jointly with progressive content (not *really* interlaced)

HarryM
12th April 2004, 16:48
Are subtitles corectly converted at "half-D1 resolution"?
Do you plan a "VCD resolution" support too, please?

DDogg
12th April 2004, 16:53
I have a question for the NTSC users. What would be a valid reason/s to change the original structure and use deinterlace for a dvd that is to be played on a TV?

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 16:54
Are subtitles corectly converted at "half-D1 resolution"?
Do you plan a "VCD resolution" support too, please? No to the subtitles. You're on your own there... VCD??? I guess.. but doesn't that have to be MPEG-1? I guess I need to look it up.

Joergen
12th April 2004, 16:56
"VCD resolution" only applies to mpeg1 on DVD.. now there's a god-awful idea.

And subtitles not working on half-d1 is something worth mentioning.. but I always thought a dvd player floats the subs over the picture and stretches the MPEG2 stream in the background so the subs dont need special tweaking. I mean, you can get the player to show all kinds of buttons and menus over the video no matter what resolution the mpeg2 is, so the resolution IS full 720x576(480) at all times.

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 17:00
Originally posted by unplugged
I have some suggestions:
- maybe important to include MPEG2Dec3dg.dll, great quality and fast decoder
- add "idct=7" *by default* for mpeg2source into avisynth scripts (instead to leave blank and invoke old iDCT code)
- give possibility to add TemporalSoften(4,2,2,scenechange=15,mode=2) (before ConvertToYUY2 of course) that improves
quality and compression with almost any DVD without minimal ghost artifact (try yourself!) or detail loss
- possibility to compress all menu/extras with a fixed Q value (to be set by user with relatively high value) instead to use bitrate based concept, then auto-calc movie bitrate...

Last but not least I found that DVD-RB sets "interlaced=true" with ConvertToYUY2 if it detects interlaced structure in movie stream.
This is a little painful issue discussed and most of times DVD marked as interlaced have perfectly combed fields as progressive ones.
So, "ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)" can easely (most times) mess up and disalign chroma and luma channel.
I suggest to leave this flag to user, at least for main movie.

[Edit]
Avoiding this means also not using CCE in interlaced mode, with progressive flag and zigzag-scan-order activated in my latest test CCE gives better results jointly with progressive content (not *really* interlaced) - What does idct=7 do?

- If I put the temporal soften in I'll get slammed by those who want pure sources. I also want to keep it simple, it's getting more and more complicated every day with all the added options. Maybe I just need to "hide" the options a little better.

- I guess I could use the Q for setting the extras... but what you normally find is that people don't know what Q is... and sometimes set it higher, thus taking bitrate away from the movie instead of adding.

- I can make the "interlaced=true" an option, but others have advised me to leave it in...

nwg
12th April 2004, 17:01
"VCD resolution" only applies to mpeg1 on DVD.. now there's a god-awful idea.

Agreed. There are already too many programs that can do that right now.

HarryM
12th April 2004, 17:06
No to the subtitles. You're on your own there... VCD??? I guess.. but doesn't that have to be MPEG-1? I guess I need to look it up.

half-D1 (PAL) resolution
352x576px

VCD (PAL) resolution
352x288px
...this hasn't no conjunctive with MPEG1. Only same resolution, but MPEG2 used.
E.g. Tmpgenc use this at his "low_resolution_DVD profile"

I see, that you use at half-D1 directly
BilinearResize(352,576).

Is it right?

I thought that corectly is
Crop(8,0,-8,0)
BilinearResize(352,576) //or ReduceBy2
???

What is right? Damn, I don't know personally... :mad:

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 17:17
half-D1 (PAL) resolution
352x576px

VCD (PAL) resolution
352x288px
...this hasn't no conjunctive with MPEG1. Only same resolution, but MPEG2 used.
E.g. Tmpgenc use this at his "low_resolution_DVD profile"

I see, that you use at half-D1 directly
BilinearResize(352,576).

Is it right?

I thought that corectly is
Crop(8,0,-8,0)
BilinearResize(352,576) //or ReduceBy2
???

What is right? Damn, I don't know personally... :mad: ReduceBy2 does an ugly reduction. The Crop() I assume would only apply to a 704x576 source -- and really shouldn't be there even then.

A quote from the FAQ:

Allowable picture resolutions are:
MPEG-2, 525/60 (NTSC): 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, 352x240
MPEG-2, 625/50 (PAL): 720x576, 704x576, 352x576, 352x288
MPEG-1, 525/60 (NTSC): 352x240
MPEG-1, 625/50 (PAL): 352x288

I guess you could give it the same thought pattern as you do when you meet a woman in a bar. It's legal -- but really ugly. Just how picky are you tonight?

DDogg
12th April 2004, 17:43
Maybe I just need to "hide" the options a little better This is more of my unsolicited commentary, and will probably not be appreciated, but I've got to comment about how so many great programs can get screwed up by so many bad suggestions.

This is one of the reasons I hoped you would comment about what your design philosophy is. From a few comments you have made, it seems to be a very intelligent 'keep it simple and give power to the people' design target, but then I'm only guessing.

I don't know if you have followed it, but len0x has done a brilliant job with AutoGK (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64266), which I think shares a similar design philosophy as yours (guessing again). One of the reasons he accomplished so much is because he steadfastly held to his design parameters. The guy must get 50 'one off' or geek requests a week, with 95% of them being 'one off individual enthusiasms of the week', or many that are just dumb as mud (or god-awful ideas). The ones that get implemented only happen after a large amount of people provide factual data to prove it is a good idea and he sees a consensus built from the logic.

Which brings me back to your comment. If a feature is not needed by a broad base of your users, maybe stick it in as an INI option to test if it is used a lot. An INI option [that imports a user generated AVS for many 'one off' uses like compression filters, color correction, etc.] might be an example of this [users reponsibility to see that it is written correctly]. Then later if you see it is used by many, you could move it out to your GUI if it fits your design. If somebody can't deal with editing an INI then they are not at a level to be suggesting the damn thing in the first place (oops, ranting again).

HarryM
12th April 2004, 17:44
I guess you could give it the same thought pattern as you do when you meet a woman in a bar. It's legal -- but really ugly. Just how picky are you tonight?

I am sorry...
I am indisposed now likely. You know sure - difficult "spiritous" Easter Monday... :rolleyes:

Thanks for DVD-RB making!!! :)

djkilla
12th April 2004, 17:48
jdobbs, just wanted to let you know that all these fancy settings people are suggesting are greek to me. If I'm interested in such advance settings, I would search the internet to get a detailed explanation and set the settings accordingly (I'm trying not to step on anyone's toes). I guess what I'm trying to say is, please keep this program simple. I'm attracted to this program because it's a simple alternative to the Big 3 method. I've always wanted to get into re-encoding with CCE without the complication of it all. Just my 2¢!

-D j K i l l a-

Rombaldi
12th April 2004, 17:50
@jdobbs

I have what may be an odd 'feature request' that has nothing to do with the REBUILDING process, but the ENCODING, but depending on how you implement it, could be expanded into something useful for all..

I'be been using RB on discs I make myself from sources from my Panasonic DVD-Recorders (note for future, the Panny/Toshiba recorders record at 704x480). Handy to get 4 45 minute shows on a disc rather than 3 (record programs, extract mpeg, edit, author as an 'oversized disc' and let RB 'reduce it'). 3 passes of CCE does a better job than shrink on these IMHO.. and it's letting me take some LBX programs and (now) 16:9 them... but I digress..

HERE'S THE PROBLEM. On the EARLY versions of the recorders (E20,E30,etc..) Panasonic had a 'bug'.. well perhaps not a bug, but a feature that wasn't disabable.

In JAPAN, the value of BLACK is 7.5IRE, in the US it's 0.0IRE. A (true) Japanese disc will look slightly WASHED OUT on a US player and a US disc will look very DARK on a Japanese player at their default settings. Whack the brightness control, either on the player or tv and the problem is correct.. but it's a hassle.

On the 'first' recorders, the BLACK level was set to 7.5 IRE, resulting in discs that, while played back looked on on their recorders, look washed out on everything else. On the later recorders it was made so you could set the recording IRE level (darker=us, lighter=jap).

Unfortunately, I've got a coupla of hundred discs that were recorded on the "wrong" black level. I could either play them back from a player set to correct the level, re-record and reauthor the lot...

or.....

I could see if the masterful JDobbs could add an AVS option to apply either globally or on a VTS basis (like the 16:9 or half D1) that could either insert the AVS command to adjust the brightness DOWN by 7.5 IRE or (in the future) some other userdefinable value (for now, call it 'correct Panasonic Recorder levels'). Yes, I know, I could hand edit all the AVS files.. but that could get messy quickly.....

In the long run, it could transform into a 'insert custom AVS commands' for color correction, brightness, contrast, etc.. etc..' so that RB could correctly and reliably make sure gets applied thru the project..

that are several hundred thousand of these decks out there... so I can't call it a 'one off' but it is specialized..

just consider it...

ADDENDUM

my bad, make a suggestion on something to add and then not say what should be added.

based on my initial tests, the function that should be applied in the AVS file would be..

Levels(0,1,255,-16,239,false)

that (afasikt) does the subtraction of IRE 7.5 (binary 16) as it passes thru. (if someone knows better the correlation, please correct me).

rui
12th April 2004, 18:06
I also want to keep it simple, it's getting more and more complicated every day with all the added options. Maybe I just need to "hide" the options a little better.

I agree.

IMHO, the thing that atracted people most to your wonderfull tool is it's simplicity, and yet great quality. This thread's name says it all (DVD-RB CCE One-Click)

wmansir
12th April 2004, 18:12
I think the rationale (use in this thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73625)) is that Half-D1 is expanded to 704x480 on playback, so if you just resize a 720x480 image to Half-D1, it will have an incorrect aspect ratio when played back.

Also, Jdobbs, I know you probably don't want the headache of dealing with another plugin or setting, but the FastBilinearResize or SimpleResize functions will give a little speed boost. Just a thought for the future, if you ever do package Avisynth DLLs with the program.

However, advanced users can hack there setup to overload the BilinearResize function on there own. Here is how:

1. Download the SimpleResize Plugin for AVS 2.5.
2. Put it in your AVS 2.5 plugins Dir.
3. Create a text file called "Resize.avsi" in your AVS 2.5 plugin dir.
4. Put this in the file:

Function BilinearResize(clip clip, int V, int H){
clip.SimpleResize(V,H)
}

That's it. Be sure and test it. SimpleResize is actually a little sharper than pure Bilinear. There was also a FastBilinearResize DLL out before tberry released a YV12 version of SimpleResize.

Also, I checked and the function overload is dependent on the number of arguments. So unless the arguments given match this macro it will default to the internal BilinearResize function. For example:

BilinearResize(352,480) -> Simpleresize macro is used

BilinearResize(352,480,8,0,704,480) -> internal Bilinear function is used.

You could add a macro for the second method if you want. I'm not sure if SimpleResize will accept that format, but since your writing the macro it is easy to work around.

DDogg
12th April 2004, 18:18
wmansir, you now see why we wanted you to moderate :) Good ideas!

Or, just jdobbs could stick in an INI option that allows the user to declare the choice of resizer.

unplugged
12th April 2004, 18:54
@jdobbs

Here come the "advanced user" checkbox and "reset to defaults" button...

Come on, your tool can take power of Avisynth and CCE?
So it's obviosly logical that it's not only for dummies! :)
- What does idct=7 do?
High precision (and very fast and stable) MPEG-2 decoding routine from XviD/libavcodec projects, used by many freaks like us ;)
It's heavely MMX optimized and it shouldn't need SSE (please someone confirm).
N° 5 (idct) is optimized for P4/SSE2, little more fast but less precise then 7.
I'll suggest idct=7 for all situations (read MPEG2Dec3dg brief doc).
- If I put the temporal soften in I'll get slammed by those who want pure sources. I also want to keep it simple, it's getting more and more complicated every day with all the added options. Maybe I just need to "hide" the options a little better.
I agree, many doesn't know that a little of genuine temporal denoiser doesn't cut details as spatials and brute-force ones do...
Problem is that either regular and recent DVDs have hell of noise (T3, Hulk...), CCE is VERY sensible to details and fluctuations, so when we re-encode there are also newer compression artifacts built over original noise/dct artifacts (grrrrrr...).
TemporalSoften approach stabilizes image and color tonality (chroma), benefits are visible and it easely avoids typical combined compression/noise artifacts (that original stream has itself).
Having this, consider that in still and low motion frames CCE can "take breath" and have available "one hell of bitrate" for all that counts, particulars included.

Originally posted by jdobbs - I guess I could use the Q for setting the extras... but what you normally find is that people don't know what Q is... and sometimes set it higher, thus taking bitrate away from the movie instead of adding.
Right, really, some title may have extras heavely compressed, so that would be a very bad case for Q method.
A possible solution:
We may consider a valid and resonable default/start value (for ex. 60) + temporal active by default, if cell encoded is bigger then original than we can assume that is already massively compressed so it's taken as it is!
Originally posted by jdobbs - I can make the "interlaced=true" an option, but others have advised me to leave it in...
Progressive sources (marked interlaced) that I have encoded with CCE with interlaced setup take more bits and have pseudo-interlacing artifacts.

Joergen
12th April 2004, 19:22
jdobbs: What does DVD-RB do when CCE 2.5 encounters the old Checksum error (that needed a "CRC Patch")?

The reason I ask is that obviously many a user of your (increasingly praised) tool has never used CCE before and will just casually download (yes) CCE 2.5, suppress warnings and perhaps getting all sorts of bugs from multipass checksum errors. Just a random thought.

bobwillis
12th April 2004, 20:05
Regarding stutter: I wondered if this http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37485&highlight=stutter+chapter comment posted by dweeb is correct and of any relevance - chapter point must be an I frame?

Joergen
12th April 2004, 20:11
Regarding stutter: I wondered if this http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37485&highlight=stutter+chapter comment posted by dweeb is correct and of any relevance - chapter point must be an I frame?

Might explain why windvd4 cannot start play from where you rewind or why powerdvd seems to jump a second or so forward first when it starts rewinding.

RB
12th April 2004, 20:12
Originally posted by unplugged
Progressive sources (marked interlaced) that I have encoded with CCE with interlaced setup take more bits and have pseudo-interlacing artifacts.
Not in my experience. I have done this for a couple of movies this way and never noticed any artifacts.

Also, again, there is no such thing as "progressive marked as interlaced". For ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true/false), what counts is how the stream is encoded, not what your eyes see. If the progressive_frame flag in the MPEG2 picture header is off, this means it's encoded as interlaced. The chroma is stored differently for interlaced and progressive YV12, hence ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true) must be used whenever there are non-progressive frames.

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 20:28
jdobbs: What does DVD-RB do when CCE 2.5 encounters the old Checksum error (that needed a "CRC Patch")?

The reason I ask is that obviously many a user of your (increasingly praised) tool has never used CCE before and will just casually download (yes) CCE 2.5, suppress warnings and perhaps getting all sorts of bugs from multipass checksum errors. Just a random thought. "What will it do, Mr. Bond? Ha, ha, ha... it will die!"

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 20:32
Regarding stutter: I wondered if this http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37485&highlight=stutter+chapter comment posted by dweeb is correct and of any relevance - chapter point must be an I frame? I can assure you that every chapter point begins with an I-Frame. In fact I'd have to go out of my way to try and start without one (notice that the chapters are all encoded individually).

berndy2001
12th April 2004, 20:54

such a feature would be nice.
today i encoded 75% of a movie (took me about 7hours), then my computer crashed.
in the working dir, there are a lot of complete the mpeg files, can i use them? i dont want to restart at the beginning... :scared:

i noticed the pause function. but without a resume feature, it is more an abort-function.

i noticed too, while cce is occupied with encoding, i have a cpu-load of 30% by dvd-rb... is that normal?

anyway very nice programm

Joergen
12th April 2004, 21:06
Originally posted by berndy2001
can i use them?

You could try moving them to another directory, then start encoding again and hit cancel when CCE is writing the .mpv (the one that you already have, except the very last one cause it was prolly unfinished when your pc crashed). and before re-building, copy the completed stuff from the other dir :D I dunno if this works though but its worth a try.

When jdobbs includes the resume option, dvd-rb needs to calculate which .vaf and mpv are finished and which arent. This might even help to fix a .vaf or .mpv that was accidentally cancelled by the user (in cce).

Hmm I just noticed I keep saying .mpv but D2VAVS dir is full of .m2v files, guess DVD-RB or CCE renames them after completion (the encoding window still says .mpv).

ux-3
12th April 2004, 21:48
I just had a look of my first DVD that I made with Rebuilder 0.34. I used CCE2.67.00.23 with it and I was doing the last side of the ER Season 1 in PAL (2 episodes plus extras). I think I left almost everything on default, and there was no path set for a deinterlacer either.
While the actual two episodes are fine, the extras are rather messed up, flickering ghost images and such. Perhaps a problem of field order? Have seen that problem with Star Trek TNG before, when the field order was autodetected in DVD2SVCD. No Combs but a moving arm looks like its strobe-lit. My guess is that the half frames come in the wrong order: Back forth back forth. Any suggestions?

unplugged
12th April 2004, 22:18
Originally posted by RB
Also, again, there is no such thing as "progressive marked as interlaced". For ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true/false), what counts is how the stream is encoded, not what your eyes see. If the progressive_frame flag in the MPEG2 picture header is off, this means it's encoded as interlaced. The chroma is stored differently for interlaced and progressive YV12, hence ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true) must be used whenever there are non-progressive frames.
Ok, I know, some time ago I was one of those to point this issue as you.

Now, what I'm trying to explain is that in most cases "interlaced=true" misplaces chroma lines so evidently that you could re-think the logical theory and realize to consider another factor.
For example on red objects I could see red part two lines out from its shape, and in an interleaved fashion. Looking the result with "interlaced=false" I see a perfect matching.
This repeat for many, many DVDs encoded in interlaced format.

I do NOT want be the man that insist.
The reasons of color misplacement with "interlaced=true" may be:

1) There are *lots* of progressive content DVDs encoded in interlaced YV12 mode without prior post-production "YV12 to interlaced-YV12" conversion (for chroma placement).
So the content is passed to the mastering process (encoding) without taking care of progressive frame nature (film 24fps).

2) There is another parameter to afford in which we really found if decoded picture need to be threaten as interlaced or not

[edit]
Whether is the reason 1 or 2 or any I LIKE to leave that chroma as is when the problem could appear (and don't want players reproduce it)

facialcrunch
12th April 2004, 22:24
I was trying to use version 0.34 to copy the Gladiator Widescreen DVD. The original is 7.8 GB. I am using CCESP (new) with it with CCEECL. I've tried the one-step process and the three-step process. Both times, it took about 3-4 hrs. and I got my resultant AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS (with files) folders without errors. If I open the folder with the files with PowerDVD, it works fine. If I open it with Cineplayer or WinDVD, it freezes. I've used DVDFab and Nero to burn each to a DVDR- and it will not run on my computer or hardware DVD player. The burned disk freezes on the computer and when I try to load it in my hardware DVD, it pauses for about 10 seconds and then skips to the next disk. I haven't tried another movie yet.

Have you seen this problem before? Have I done something wrong? Just my experience to help with the progress. Thanks for the beginnings of a great program!

Fr4nz
12th April 2004, 23:18
I find ReBuilder a great program!

It would be interesting also if we could select parts of the DVD we want to encode (mainly the main movie only,thus gaining space on the DVD-R). :)

jdobbs
12th April 2004, 23:27
Originally posted by ux-3
I just had a look of my first DVD that I made with Rebuilder 0.34. I used CCE2.67.00.23 with it and I was doing the last side of the ER Season 1 in PAL (2 episodes plus extras). I think I left almost everything on default, and there was no path set for a deinterlacer either.
While the actual two episodes are fine, the extras are rather messed up, flickering ghost images and such. Perhaps a problem of field order? Have seen that problem with Star Trek TNG before, when the field order was autodetected in DVD2SVCD. No Combs but a moving arm looks like its strobe-lit. My guess is that the half frames come in the wrong order: Back forth back forth. Any suggestions? Could you look in the .D2V file at the offending section? Usually when you see the kind of error you have it is related to field order... If the .D2V has a lot of '2's in it -- that indicates Top Field First, a lot of '0's mean Bottom Field first. If you see it alternating between the two regularly -- ignore that section it is telecined.

BTW -- the above is ONLY true on a .D2V created by DVD-RB... DVD2AVI might also show '1's, '3's, and '4's... DVD-RB should handle this for you, but if you're seeing craziness, I'd like to know why.

wmansir
13th April 2004, 01:25
Here's a minor suggestion:

Create an OUTPUT directory under the working directory and create the ouput VIDEO_TS folder there. As it is now the working directory contains the VIDEO_TS folder and the D2VAVS folder when complete. So to make an image I have move (or delete) one of them.

krackato
13th April 2004, 03:07
I still only get file dvd-rbv034.zip. Where's version 0.35?

dave88
13th April 2004, 03:29
I got .35 just now, so it's probably your browser

krackato
13th April 2004, 04:56
Weird. With Firefox I get version 0.34 and with IE I get version 0.35. Very odd. Thanks for the tip.

jdobbs
13th April 2004, 05:07
I don't get it myself, but if this works, it's big. Really big. Problems with telecided and mixed interlaced / telecided video has been a big nagging issue with going the CCE route from the beginning. Most of the time you don't even know you have a problem until you see jerky movement in the middle of your otherwise perfect backup. This has driven me to use transcoders in many cases since that way you avoid the risk of telecide and field order problems. Hats off to jdobbs and I hope he really has spun some magic to fix all this. I meant to comment on this earlier. Want to test it? Put one of the DVDs you know have been a problem... after it is completed run DVD2AVI against them both -- that's where the other CCE encoders have failed. You will notice the shifting between telecined and back will happen at exactly the same frames. The processing to do this was the "epiphany" I had last week that took me 3 days to implement.

I'm rather proud of that one. It's been nagging at CCE users for a long time.

JDay
13th April 2004, 06:14
Originally posted by krackato
Weird. With Firefox I get version 0.34 and with IE I get version 0.35. Very odd. Thanks for the tip.

I had that same problem with firefox. Cleared my cache, problem solved.

Raymongo
13th April 2004, 06:15
I'm still having the error #0004 with disney's dumbo at the same spot as reported earlear. But the 006 error gone :p

krackato
13th April 2004, 08:15
I too am having error #0004 with Matrix Revolutions.

edit: Now I'm getting "error #0004" followed by "Stop statement encountered". Yeah, I've got another thread about this problem.

lab-one
13th April 2004, 13:38
@krackato

I too am having error #0004 with Matrix Revolutions.

I've backed this up twice now without any problems. Other than stuttering which is the reason I have backed it up twice and am hoping I found a reason for it....long story.

Anyway, no problems at all with the actuall process of backing up Matrix Revolutions, R1 - NTSC.

Complete 1:1 w/ all audio on second back-up
CCE 3.50SP and CCE 2.66 Trial
eclcce 1.8b
DVD-RB .35

ux-3
13th April 2004, 14:11
Could you look in the .D2V file at the offending section? Usually when you see the kind of error you have it is related to field order... If the .D2V has a lot of '2's in it -- that indicates Top Field First, a lot of '0's mean Bottom Field first. If you see it alternating between the two regularly -- ignore that section it is telecined.

BTW -- the above is ONLY true on a .D2V created by DVD-RB... DVD2AVI might also show '1's, '3's, and '4's... DVD-RB should handle this for you, but if you're seeing craziness, I'd like to know why.

This thread is moving so fast, I missed your reply - sorry. The D2V is gone to data-nirvana. Could I recreate it quickly in step one of the procedure "Prepare"? I have the original here. I'd redo that step, but then what? "Ignore that Section"? What do you mean? Look away when it plays? I don't quite understand your suggestion.

jptheripper
13th April 2004, 15:47
jdobbs,

i was wondering if you could tell us where the "set custom bitrates to specific vts's/cells" status is, or where it is in your priority list. Thanx

-jp

Paced
13th April 2004, 15:52
Originally posted by jptheripper
jdobbs,

i was wondering if you could tell us where the "set custom bitrates to specific vts's/cells" status is, or where it is in your priority list. Thanx

-jp

It's currently not available in any version of DVD-RB, but I think I remember jdobbs saying it's on his list of things to come.

jptheripper
13th April 2004, 16:37
Originally posted by Paced
It's currently not available in any version of DVD-RB, but I think I remember jdobbs saying it's on his list of things to come.

Yeah i know that, what i was asking is whether its next on things to come, or whether its like 20 places down the "to-do" list

DDogg
13th April 2004, 16:44
jdobbs,

1> Would it be difficult to add the source length and aspect in the "Video Title Sets" window?

2> Possible to gray the deinterlace option when source is clearly progressive? Speaking of hiding options, offering De-interlace sure seems dangerous in a 1-click given it is such a complex subject with so many possible permutations and pitfalls. Frankly I don't understand why anybody would ever use it when viewing is via a NTSC television. I must be missing something. There is no compression increase because you are not decimating. Right?

Oldeman
13th April 2004, 16:48
DVD-RB .35
QuEnc Encoder
Error 5 in Rebuild
during processing VTS 01 -Rebuilding Vob id 1 cell id 1
After copying all unaltered files.

Movie: Any Given Sunday
This source works great in DVD-RB using ReJig.

I've tried tried QuEnc about 5 different movies/versions always get a run time 5 at various places during rebuild.

ReJig works great for me on most movies...except Tora Tora Tora

; Cinema Craft Encoder Basic -- Encoder Control List
; Created by DVD ReBuilder

[item]
title=V01000000001001
aud_out=0
vaf_file=D:\DVD_RB_WORK\D2VAVS\V01000000001001.vaf
aud_file=D:\DVD_RB_WORK\D2VAVS\V01000000001001.mpa
file_focused=0
packet_size=2048
width=720
height=480
frame_rate_idx=1
cbr_brate=6000
vbr_brate_avg=786
vbr_brate_min=0
vbr_brate_max=9000
seq_endcode=0
dvd=0
half_width=0
half_height=0
lum_level=0
aspect_ratio=2
gop_m=3
gop_nm=4
gop_hdr=12
seq_hdr=1
all_closed_gop=0
fix_gop_length=0
samples_per_sec=44100
stereo=2
brate_idx=7
crc=1
progressive=1
alternate_scan=0
intra_dc_prec=2
aud_mode=0
tc_ref_frm=0
drop_frame=0
fix_vbv_delay=0
letter_box=0
pulldown_detect=0
vid_file=D:\DVD_RB_WORK\D2VAVS\V01000000001001.m2v
video_type=8
tc_offset=0
offset_line=0
remove_vaf=0
pict_type=0
pict_complexity=2
filter_off=1
name=D:\DVD_RB_WORK\D2VAVS\V01000000001001.avs
frame_first=0
frame_last=1
encode_first=0
encode_last=1

wmansir
13th April 2004, 17:02
Just wanted to remind people this is the Comments and Suggestions Thread. Please post bug reports and errors in the Bug Report Thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73853)