PDA

View Full Version : One step Backup DVD9-DVD5 For Linux!

Inssomniak
8th March 2004, 01:30
Well, there is now a great toolchain available for linux, that creates a DVD9 to DVD5 backup, in one step. Google lxdvdrip Its in active development, and is fantastic, uses requant methods to fit the movie to dvd5, no support for menus yet, but this is close, the real bonus is, its entireny linux native! You need it, plus a series of other small open source utils. If you are equipped with a DVD ROM and a DVD writer, its all totally unsupervised backup.

There was always ways to make DVD backups in linux, but nothing one step. (that I could find).. This works great.

Cheers!

artronic
19th March 2004, 18:59
Thanks for the info, dude. Here is a link (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lxdvdrip/).

Ray_D_O
9th April 2004, 16:30
I donloaded the rpm for this and tried the command in a console window... it's all German and I get an error saying something about it can't rip an encrypted dvd... could someone help me understand this program... if I can get it to work, I can literally go "winblows free" and run Linux 100% ... as it stands, my dvd ripping/burning is the ONLY thing keeping windows on my system. Thanks for any help guys...

mikeX
9th April 2004, 17:00
Ray_D_O,

I have to say I haven't tried the program so I'm just guessing here, but are you sure you have libdvdcss (http://developers.videolan.org/libdvdcss/) installed on your system?

Inssomniak
16th April 2004, 00:13
Originally posted by Ray_D_O
I donloaded the rpm for this and tried the command in a console window... it's all German and I get an error saying something about it can't rip an encrypted dvd... could someone help me understand this program... if I can get it to work, I can literally go "winblows free" and run Linux 100% ... as it stands, my dvd ripping/burning is the ONLY thing keeping windows on my system. Thanks for any help guys...

You have to have libDVDCSS installed to rip the DVD. You also have to configure the /etc/lxdvdrip.conf to tell lxdvdrip to talk to you in english. They are up to ver 1.0 now, and still works excellent, have done many disks with it, and not one problem at all. I have always compiled my own lxdvdrip, instead of downloading the rpm. the RPM may be installing the german .conf file.

jernst
15th May 2004, 13:33
thanks, this seems excellent. I was just looking for a replacement of DVD Shrink under Linux and this tool seems to fit my needs.

Do you know about a GUI for this tool ?

Did you compare the transcoding quality with Shrink ?

Inssomniak
15th May 2004, 16:10
I havent really done a side to side comparison, but I think they both use similar technology, of requantization for the video.

latest lxdvdrip with throw transcode into a parallel mode, all the commands are piped, its exteremly fast, sometimes less than 20 minutes to requant the video. Then your burning time on top of that.

jernst
15th May 2004, 22:32
As the documentation is not so detailed and I don't know exactly what are the specs of each program used by lxdvdrip, I wondered if the default option was doing something similar to the "deep analysis" of DVD Shrink.

I saw that you can choose between 4 type of reduction factor (faktor option), does it improve quality to choose streamanalyse instead of "automatic" (if yes I guess it is more slow).

Last thing, about your transcode parrallel mode, I guess you speak about the streamtool option; could you please tell me what exactly does the trans_par option compared to the default streamdvd ? Does it affect only speed ? As far as I can understand this, this option is only to choose how the DVD is ripped ?

thanks,

P.S. If I find time I'll try to make a gui for this tool when I'd learn more about it and about GUI creation under linux.