PDA

View Full Version : Reason not avaliable in USA?

eibwen
7th March 2004, 10:32
I have looked quite a bit for a divx player avaliable in the united states but have not been able to find anything, well other than the Kiss player for $300...

Is there a reason for this or am i not looking the right places/right keywords on searches?

About the only divx player i can find on ebay is one by RJ Tech, the description i believe says its the EES chip, or other ones that don't tell what the chipset is, or often even the manufacturer.

thanks for anyhelp...
-Eibwen

KungFuCow
9th March 2004, 10:44
I bought the Liteon unit off Ebay a couple of months ago and there were tons of people selling them then.

To tell the truth, though, an Xbox with a mod chip and Xbox Media Center blows away any standalone player.

eibwen
13th March 2004, 08:41
well if you want the best player just build a small computer with say the VIA 1ghz chip... that should decode anything decently at least, buy a cheap brandname video card with video out (ati has good video out) (would work better than xbox, and fully legally, and cheaper i'm sure)

run win 2k or 2k3 or 98se if those are avaliable to you on it
or linux...

be silent because the VIA chips are desinged to need like no cooling (could have p4, those don't need aggressive cooling really either, or water cool if you want alot of power, but for this purpose there is no reason...)

but yeah... xbox nor above is going to be as easy to use as a settop player which might be nice...

Wolfman
14th March 2004, 14:01
its probably becuase of product liablity laws.. they cant gtee it will play every type of divx or xvid file flawlessly, ergo it cannot be sold.:eek:
Also standalone player £70, xbox (ugly piece of crap) £139