PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Link Theatre

iwod
7th March 2004, 04:47
This New machine which i discover yesterday...........

Foe Details Click Here (http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/products/catalog/item/p/pc-mp2000_dvd/index.html)

But it is in Japanes...............

musicnyman
12th April 2005, 15:54
so i'm very interested in this player. has anyone tried this and have had good experience with playing mpeg4 files in HD and non-HD?

thanks,

SeeMoreDigital
12th April 2005, 18:15
There a bit more information for you guys if you follow the links mentioned in this thread: -

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=635020#post635020

Happy hunting ;)

musicnyman
12th April 2005, 22:29
thanks, i'll start hunting :)

asked buffalo tech the max bitrate for mpeg4 files and they say 10-12mbps. so that will solve my current divx/xvid files freezing/stuttering on my pinnacle showcenter which tops out at about 3mbps, if not less. and definitely divx certified which is important...

from chris at buffalo tech:

I don't have the specific requirement but it should be around 10-12 mbps. It will definitely handle 2500 kbps, and I have recently tested 4500.

--Chris

SeeMoreDigital
13th April 2005, 01:25
Originally posted by musicnyman
from chris at buffalo tech:

I don't have the specific requirement but it should be around 10-12 mbps. It will definitely handle 2500 kbps, and I have recently tested 4500. As the player is built around Sigma's EM8620L "high-def" chip-set, it can support much higher bit-rates than a std-def chip-set.

In fact Sigma state that the chip-set can do this: -Supports decoding of two standard-definition programs for PIP.
Cheers

musicnyman
14th April 2005, 22:25
just bought this and should have this tomorrow.

i'll post my findings on this player and test some files out...

SeeMoreDigital
14th April 2005, 22:52
Thanks for letting us know... I'm sure some of us will be able to supply you with some weird and wonderful stream and container combinations for you to try ;)

musicnyman
14th April 2005, 22:53
bring them on!

here are the types supported listed on their website:

Video Files dat, mpg, mpe, mpeg, m2v, m1v, vob, avi, asf, divx, xvid, rmp4, mp4, vro, m4v, m2p, hnl, wmv, wmv hd, divx hd
Audio Files mp3, mp2, ogg, wav, aac, wma, pls, m4a, ac3, mp1, mpa, asf, m3u
Picture Files jpg, gif, bmp, tif, png

len0x
15th April 2005, 11:26
What kind of output does it have? DVI?

SeeMoreDigital
15th April 2005, 15:48
Originally posted by len0x
What kind of output does it have? DVI? The buffalo LinkTheater player offers analogue video ouput connectons only. So no DVI, HDMI or even VGA....

... Looks like you'll have to wait for the Zensonic Z500, which will have HDMI (along with HDCP).

Cheers

len0x
15th April 2005, 15:51
not that I can get hold of Buffalo player even if I wanted to :)

guada 2
15th April 2005, 22:05
Hello SMD,

It is astonishing for such a stripped apparatus of connector industries of quality.
You do not find.
I challenge myself, Which is the interest?
Why have this option chooses ?

Somebody can it give me an answer?

Thank you.

musicnyman
15th April 2005, 22:58
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
Thanks for letting us know... I'm sure some of us will be able to supply you with some weird and wonderful stream and container combinations for you to try ;)

ok, it's all hooked up and ready to try whatever you want me to try...

so far, everything works fine except for GMC/QPEL of course... which is expected.

i've tried:

- wmvhd9 (but wmv9 Pro audio track doesn't work) only video. i downloaded the wmvhd samples from www.wmvhd.com. video works, but no audio.
- divxhd works like a charm. amazing quality and no stuttering!
- all my normal divx and xvid files work fine, and seems to play a lot better than the showcenter already.

SeeMoreDigital
16th April 2005, 10:44
...so far, everything works fine except for GMC/QPEL of course... which is expected. That's odd because Sigma's EM8620L chip-set supports Qpel. And 1 warp point GMC (as used by DivX).

Cheers

musicnyman
16th April 2005, 20:20
That's odd because Sigma's EM8620L chip-set supports Qpel. And 1 warp point GMC (as used by DivX).

Cheers

i will give it another shot and send gspot's information about the file i'm trying to play in a little bit.

SeeMoreDigital
16th April 2005, 21:01
i will give it another shot and send gspot's information about the file i'm trying to play in a little bit. Try this DivX Qpel in AVI Test 01 (http://82.2.167.237/Uploaded_Files/Doom9_Forum_files/DivX_Qpel_in_AVI_Test_01.7z).

It has been generated with 16:9 DAR signalling and at a low bit-rate... so please, don't expect it to look spectacular!

Cheers

musicnyman
17th April 2005, 17:28
works fine including aspect ratio. nice...

also, the files that don't work are divx low motion files. i just checked them through gspot.

also LT compained about one file (xvid) being GMC and said:

"GMC not supported"

SeeMoreDigital
17th April 2005, 17:44
works fine including aspect ratio. nice...With regards to the PAR/DAR signalling, can you confirm if you have a 16:9 TV and if you have set your player to output 16:9?

also LT compained about one file (xvid) being GMC and said:

"GMC not supported"That's because XviD (and NeroDigital) use 3 warp-point GMC

Cheers

musicnyman
17th April 2005, 17:49
With regards to the PAR/DAR signalling, can you confirm if you have a 16:9 TV and if you have set your player to output 16:9?

Cheers

here is what i did:

- i set the output to be 16:9 TV on the LT

looking at this further, there are 3 modes:

- full screen
- fit to screen
- actual size

on "fit to screen" and "actual size", it doesn't stretch the movie to the edges of my tv. and seems "squished". full screen, it stretches the movie left and right and keeps the letterbox top and bottom.

SeeMoreDigital
17th April 2005, 18:19
Hmmm...

It's interesting how different player manufacturers provide TV output size options. I can't tell from your settings if the Buffalo player is able to detect AR signalling embedded in the Mpeg4 video stream or not...

Anyway, can you try this DivX Qpel in MP4 Test 01 (http://82.2.167.237/Uploaded_Files/Doom9_Forum_files/DivX_Qpel_in_MP4_Test_01.7z) file please?

Just like the previous file, it has been generated with 16:9 DAR signalling and at a low bit-rate... but this one is "video only".

Cheers

musicnyman
17th April 2005, 18:29
Hmmm...

It's interesting how different player manufacturers provide TV output size options. I can't tell from your settings if the Buffalo player is able to detect AR signalling embedded in the Mpeg4 video stream or not...

Anyway, can you try this DivX Qpel in MP4 Test 01 (http://82.2.167.237/Uploaded_Files/Doom9_Forum_files/DivX_Qpel_in_MP4_Test_01.7z) file please?

Just like the previous file, it has been generated with 16:9 DAR signalling and at a low bit-rate... but this one is "video only".

Cheers

ok, so this one does the same thing as the normal avi file. same behavior in the 3 different modes. don't understand why "fit to screen" doesn't stretch it like it should. aspect ratio doesn't seem right in "actual size" as well. only one that makes sense is the "full screen" and puts the correct letterbox top and bottom and stretches left and right correctly.

what do you use to encode mp4 and i'll try some settings as well.

thanks,

SeeMoreDigital
17th April 2005, 18:47
If the player is able to detect Mpeg4 AR signalling, you should be able to use the same player settings for the Mpeg4/MP4 file as you would when playing Mpeg2 16:9 anamorphic sources.

Were these file played over a network connection or burned to disc? I ask because I'm not 100% convinced that the network software recognises AR signalling correctly anyway

If you are plying the files over a network, could you try them again via disc please?

Cheers

musicnyman
17th April 2005, 19:09
If the player is able to detect Mpeg4 AR signalling, you should be able to use the same player settings for the Mpeg4/MP4 file as you would when playing Mpeg2 16:9 anamorphic sources.

Were these file played over a network connection or burned to disc? I ask because I'm not 100% convinced that the network software recognises AR signalling correctly anyway

If you are plying the files over a network, could you try them again via disc please?

Cheers

yeah over the network.

sure, i can burn these to a disc and try...

SeeMoreDigital
17th April 2005, 19:17
yeah over the network.

sure, i can burn these to a disc and try... I thought as much... The Buffalo player appears to use the same networking GUI (and maybe even the software) as similar networking devices I've seen.

Here are just 3No examples from different devices: -

http://img225.echo.cx/img225/9382/networkingguis4ep.gif

Cheers

musicnyman
18th April 2005, 22:00
pinnacle showcenter was almost exactly the same GUI as well for setup as these.

SeeMoreDigital
19th April 2005, 10:17
pinnacle showcenter was almost exactly the same GUI as well for setup as these. For some reason some settings in the "Networking GUI" respond quite differently to those in the "Player GUI".... if that makes any sense :eek:

Have you managed to test the two "anamorphic test files" via disc yet?

Cheers

musicnyman
19th April 2005, 14:59
For some reason some settings in the "Networking GUI" respond quite differently to those in the "Player GUI".... if that makes any sense :eek:

Have you managed to test the two "anamorphic test files" via disc yet?

Cheers

not yet... work has been driving me crazy. i will test this tonight when i get home, i promise :)

SeeMoreDigital
19th April 2005, 16:00
I forgot to ask... After installing Buffalo's "Media Server Software", do you now have this installed too: -

http://img258.echo.cx/img258/1641/java24mq.png

Cheers

musicnyman
23rd April 2005, 20:26
I forgot to ask... After installing Buffalo's "Media Server Software", do you now have this installed too: -

http://img258.echo.cx/img258/1641/java24mq.png

Cheers

i have j2se 5.0 installed. but that might be from mozilla install, but not sure.

going to burn those movies today and try it on a dvd. promise :)

SeeMoreDigital
23rd April 2005, 21:23
going to burn those movies today and try it on a dvd. promise :) Thanks

musicnyman
25th April 2005, 14:20
so by playing these two files on a real cd/dvd, AR seems correct. so i think linktheater is having a problem playing correct AR on files over the network :(

also, the linktheater is freezing on me along with some other problems. so i'm going to have to replace or return it problably. so far, not so good... i'm going to talk to bryan from buffalo tech and see what he wants me to do. i'll keep you posted.

SeeMoreDigital
25th April 2005, 18:11
so by playing these two files on a real cd/dvd, AR seems correct.... Well this sounds encouraging, as it would appear that the player can detect anamorphic signalling within the .AVI and .MP4 containers.

As a cross check, can you burn both the following "video only" .MP4 encodes to disc and play them back-to-back please. If your Buffalo player responds in the same way as my Sigma Xcard, the 4:3 and 16:9 encodes should automatically change shape... without you having to adjust your TV or player settings...

4:3 720x576 in MP4 (http://82.2.167.237/Uploaded_Files/Doom9_Forum_files/4.3_720x576_in_MP4.zip)

16:9 720x576 in MP4 (http://82.2.167.237/Uploaded_Files/Doom9_Forum_files/16.9_720x576_in_MP4.zip)

Cheers

musicnyman
29th April 2005, 03:21
Well this sounds encouraging, as it would appear that the player can detect anamorphic signalling within the .AVI and .MP4 containers.

As a cross check, can you burn both the following "video only" .MP4 encodes to disc and play them back-to-back please. If your Buffalo player responds in the same way as my Sigma Xcard, the 4:3 and 16:9 encodes should automatically change shape... without you having to adjust your TV or player settings...

4:3 720x576 in MP4 (http://82.2.167.237/Uploaded_Files/Doom9_Forum_files/4.3_720x576_in_MP4.zip)

16:9 720x576 in MP4 (http://82.2.167.237/Uploaded_Files/Doom9_Forum_files/16.9_720x576_in_MP4.zip)

Cheers

will do.

musicnyman
29th April 2005, 04:01
both play the same on the network. don't have time to test on a cd-rw tonight, but will try tomorrow night or the weekend.

so 16:9 does not stretch like it should i take it..zoom set to "fit to screen" which is the default on the LT and i use for 16:9 movies on mp4 files and they stretch fine as far as i know.

bummer :(