PDA

View Full Version : Text-based permanent subs in AVI

Nonentity
25th February 2004, 02:16
I rip the subs from DVD using SupRip to get a text-based format so that I can correct misspellings and edit out/change a few bad lines. However, then I'm stuck with a .srt text-based sub that can't be muxed back into the video. I'm aware of the .ogm method, but I want permanent subs on an AVI file, not soft subs on a .ogm. I'm also aware of the DVobSub plugin, but that only works for bitmap-based subs.

So, is there any way to permanently add .srt/.ssa subtitles to an AVI?

alexnoe
25th February 2004, 14:20
However, then I'm stuck with a .srt text-based sub that can't be muxed back into the video.You seem to be a bit confused.

'Mux' always means 'without processing', i.e. if you mux soft subs, then you will always have soft subs. Also, you can of course mux soft subs into AVI.

Nonentity
25th February 2004, 18:18
Sorry, wrong word usage in this case. What I was trying to do was encode hard subs from .srt/.ssa rather than .idx+.sub in VirtualDub. I've found two plugins that allow me to do that, though for some reason I can't get Textsub to work. Subtitler works fine though for .ssa though, so I'm set.

Liisachan
26th February 2004, 13:14
iirc, just putting textsub.vdf in plugins is not enough; you have to install VobSub, with textsub (it wont come by default,
you have to check some checkboxes when installing)
note also that textsub.vdf for win2k/xp is different from textsub.vdf for win98, and that's another reason you have to use a proper installer.

Another solution, if you can use SSA with subtitler, is to convert your srt into ssa using Subresync. It's very easy and it'll take just 1 sec or so.

ppera2
28th February 2004, 16:28
New version of textsub is named Vsfilter. So looks simple AVISynth script to make permanent subs:

LoadPlugin("F:\Program Files\Gordian Knot\Vsfilter.dll")

Avisource("G:\Fellowship2.avi")

TextSub("E:\Fellowship2.ssa")

DL Gordian Knot and you will have all required dll.