PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about DVD to XviD, please help (long)

Neon01
20th February 2004, 16:44
I've just begun attempting to convert DVDs to XviD files. Most of the features I'm attempting to back up are anime, so they are episodic and have subtitles.

I've installed gordian knot rippack ver 0.28.7, and the XviD and DivX 5.1 pro (adware) codecs. I'm following the guide here: http://www.doom9.org/gknot-main4.htm and it says to begin by adjusting some of the XviD default codec settings. Unfortunately when I click on first pass->advanced, my global settings tab doesn't have options for VHQ mode, chroma motion, motion compensation or quarterpel. I also cannot adjust the B-frame control...it's all grayed out. The version is the same, why the differences? Just so I could at least get one attempt in, however, I left it with default settings.

I went through and set up robot4rip just as the guide says. Then I tried running with a dvd put in the drive - Blue Crush. When I began, it gave the following log:

8:07:37 AM: TheWEFs robot4rip Version 0.5.0.1090 started
8:07:37 AM: System is WinXP (5.1.2600.2)
8:07:37 AM: Settings loaded
8:07:37 AM: Enumerating drives
8:07:37 AM: Found drive E:[BLUE_CRUSH], found VIDEO_TS folder
8:07:37 AM: Found drive F, the drive is empty

8:07:37 AM: Scanning "E:\VIDEO_TS\"
8:07:37 AM: Parsing "VTS_01_0.IFO"
8:07:38 AM: Parsing "VTS_02_0.IFO"
8:07:38 AM: Parsing "VTS_03_0.IFO"
8:07:38 AM: Parsing "VTS_04_0.IFO"
8:07:39 AM: Parsing "VTS_05_0.IFO"
8:07:39 AM: Parsing "VTS_06_0.IFO"
8:07:39 AM: Parsing "VTS_07_0.IFO"
8:07:39 AM: Error: Parsing "VTS_07_0.IFO" failed
8:07:39 AM: Error: (I/O error -2147286263)
8:07:39 AM: Parsing "VTS_08_0.IFO"
8:07:40 AM: Parsing "VTS_09_0.IFO"
8:07:40 AM: Parsing "VTS_10_0.IFO"
8:07:40 AM: 10 Ifo-Files

Why the error? DVD shrink read the disc fine, so it's not dirty.

When I tried running it in file mode (with the IFO files already ripped to my hard drive - from a different disc, this time it was Tenchi Universe vol 8), the log said it failed to demux the audio and when it was finished it didn't give me any files I could use in Gordian Knot. Sorry I can't provide the log for that one.

Have I missed some critical step in installing s/w? I would greatly appreciate any help that you all can give, I know I've asked a mouthfull.

killingspree
20th February 2004, 17:51
hi and welcome to the forum,
to your first problem: well it isn't greyed out on my computer. what version of xvid do you have installed on your computer?
anyway, it doesn't matter too much if you do not adjust this settings in the beginning. you can also adjust them when hitting the 'save & encode" button lateron. (at the same time when you adjust your audio settings) ...

those decoding errors of yours are strange... have you ever tried ripping the DVD in iso mode first, then mounting it with deamon tools and then running r4r on it?

hth
steVe

Neon01
20th February 2004, 20:28
Originally posted by killingspree

those decoding errors of yours are strange... have you ever tried ripping the DVD in iso mode first, then mounting it with deamon tools and then running r4r on it?

hth
steVe

No, I haven't tried that. I'm not really sure how to do it to be honest. I'll take another look at the software and see if I can come up with something.

On something of a tangent to my first questions: can I use AutoGK to turn DVDs into XviDs if they have episodes on them? This was my main reason for switching to Non-auto Gordian Knot. When I would use AutoGK, it would only subtitle say, the first episode, then the rest would be raw, but they would all be part of one big AVI.

I had no idea turning a DVD into AVIs would be this difficult...

manono
21st February 2004, 01:02
Hi-

can I use AutoGK to turn DVDs into XviDs if they have episodes on them?

Yes.