PDA

View Full Version : Latest WinDVD 5 & PowerDVD 5 | Windows 2003 Standard Server

DaXearo
16th February 2004, 12:58
I'm unable to play DVD's anymore after I installed/uninstalled Power DVD 5 on my Windows 2003 Standard Server ... Now I have WinDVD 5, but when I try to play a DVD , WinDVD freezes ...

Before I used WinDVD 5 WITHOUT *ANY* PROBLEM!!

Uninstalling WinDVD 5 en reinstalling it doesn't help...

It seems that PowerDVD fux up my Windows 2003 & WinDVD 5 ...

What should I do now??

Gaia
16th February 2004, 19:54
Originally posted by DaXearo
I'm unable to play DVD's anymore after I installed/uninstalled Power DVD 5 on my Windows 2003 Standard Server ... Now I have WinDVD 5, but when I try to play a DVD , WinDVD freezes ...

What should I do now??

You bought Windows2003 for desktop use? I believe you're using illegal copy. Possibly using that "known" activation trick?

I thinks you have conflicts. Installing 2 software players is bad idea.

gabest
16th February 2004, 22:39
Originally posted by Gaia
You bought Windows2003 for desktop use? I believe you're using illegal copy. Possibly using that "known" activation trick?You can believe what you want of course, but what does it have to do with the actual question?

therealjoeblow
18th February 2004, 21:16
Originally posted by DaXearo

What should I do now??

I'm having no end of trouble too, since installing both of these same programs (although *not* at the same time). Was using the November 2003 build of WinDVD5, but it's support for the ATI Remote Wonder sucks (the plugin was written for v-4, and there were too many changes). So, I uninstalled WinDVD and figured I'd give PowerDVD5 a try, because the RW plugin works for that. However, PowerDVD caused the ATI driver (Catalyst 4.1) to crash in TV out mode, whereas WinDVD didn't, so I unistalled PowerDVD5 and downloaded/installed the latest build of WinDVD5, which now comes bundled with the InterActual Player, that installs by default (it's supposed to let you view online content that comes with some new DVD's).

I have 2 different machines connected to the home LAN that I use, sometimes this one, sometimes that one kind of deal, and figured I'd take care of the software installs in parallel, so I did them both at the same time (uninstall, install, uninstall, install). Both Run Win2k pro SP4, one is an asus motherboard, via chipset, celeron 1.3, ati radeon9000pro; the other is a soyo motherboard with intelbx chipset, celeron 633, ati radeon9200.

Shortly after this chain of events, one of the computers started bluescreening for the first time in it's life with a:

'DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'

error. Weird, I thought. That same day, the 2nd computer started doing *exactly* the same thing. This appears to happen only when using internet explorer, and instantly when clicking on a link. Also happens with Opera browser, so appears to be a problem with the lan interface?

Anyway, no end of uninstalling drivers, reinstalling drivers, changing NIC's, moving all addon cards around in various slots, etc makes any difference.

I even reinstalled Win2k over itself from the CD (which reinstates SP2, directx7, IE5.0), reinstalled directx9, reinstalled SP4, reinstalled IE5.5SP2 and all other update patches - nothing makes a differnce - both machines are still pooched with the IRQL bluescreen several times a day, but which *never* had a problem over the past 2 years. Too much of a coincidence for them to *both* start up with the exact same error message (down to the hex-codes that the blue screen reports).

As far as I know, either one or the other of WinDVD or PowerDVD installed some incompatible driver and left it behind after the uninstall, and I can't find it or correct it. Well, I guess 2 years is pretty good service to get from a Win2k install - I'll have to reinstall from scratch on both machines now.

Anyone have any ideas or similar experience?

lilhobo
20th February 2004, 21:08
actually, its the drivers thats mucking up server2003. Nvidia never said the drivers are built for server2003.

i have never got windvd5 to work. its missing some overlay

JaTeMaTec
21st February 2004, 15:18
A network problem after WinDVD5 and PowerDVD5 issues? Weir over weird!

What i think is that the problem is activated by the older release of WinDVD v5.1 DXVA, which has it's own network interface dll's for going to upgrade-intervideo-com at every start and it messes itself in between the basic network interface especially if QoS-packet filtering is installed into the network adapter.
(And /edit PowerDVD try to connect to gocyberlink-com at it's own manners that are not very compatible with 2K and Win2K3 when WinDVD5.x is installed - XP can handle them quite a well)

I used to have these kinda BS's (at XP!) and uninstalled the whole QoS and disabled the corresponding service (+UPNP services) and after that: no problems anymore.

So i suggest you to try the same and if you have a firewall, please say to the prompt "don't let this app access internet" - that one makes it think that you do not have internet installed and it stops going any further to the network layer interfering and nmaking BS's with just 'IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'...

Btw: QoS network interface lowers about 10 to 15 percent the actual network capacity when installed and takes up system resources and it's absolutely non-necessary information collector for M$ :) .It's not even needed when you have MS own firewall enabled (The worst but easiest case ;-) )...!

JaTeMaTec

therealjoeblow
9th March 2004, 21:04
I never did figure out exactly what the latest versions of WinDVD and/or PowerDVD changed to cause the network system conflict as described on both machines above, but I *did* manage to fix it! :)

Both machines were running Kerio Personal Firewall v-2.1.5. I uninstalled that and installed the newer v-4.12, and voila, no more bluescreens (2 weeks now, so I'm pretty confident that was the problem)!

I still contend, however that either one or the other DVD players changed something, because both machines have been running KPF 2.1.5 for over a year now without ever a crash, and they both developed the same conflict on the same day as trying out the new players...