PDA

View Full Version : Why no htpc/xbox like standalones?

schmuck
15th February 2004, 16:32
Why are there no standalone dvdplayers that are built like an xbox or htpc but with a more streemlined interface?

Soulhunter
15th February 2004, 20:08
Hmm...

At the moment Im think about to start my own business !!!

Building & selling HTPC's !!!

Haven't found shops in the net that are doing this... :(

So I thought this would be a cool idear... :)

Having some pre-build HTPC's in different price steps then...

Or building them on PPL's demands/wishes !!!

But till now I have no clue how to start this... :D

Someone wanna join my project ???

Bye

jkwarras
16th February 2004, 16:38
Originally posted by schmuck
Why are there no standalone dvdplayers that are built like an xbox or htpc but with a more streemlined interface?

They are some htpc that are already build in some shops (here in belgium). But they're quite expensive.

For a normal standalone playback use, you don't need expensive components and very high CPU requirements. I also think if that a company really thinks about making money, they should try to build 'light' PC as stanbalones DivX players, that will support any kind of video/audio/container, and with cheap components. And make it slim, and look like a dvdplayer. If they build it massively and don't include record possibilities (which needs higher CPU requirement) I think they can really have low prices. I will just jump on it :D

Some also do barebones, they are fashion and good for htpc, but they're also quite expensive.

schmuck
16th February 2004, 20:19
Yes!

Somthing like sonys new psx hardware with a sleek interface..but based on common off the shelf pc components instead of an ps2. It would be able to play/record any type of standard definition video. And i dont think price is the problem..because I can buy these part today for under 400 in any pc store, and an xbox wich can handle everything exept recording cost only 150euro.